Smokey Robinson is the guest judge. The songs are all by Billy Joel.
First up: Kim C. - "Still Rock and Roll to Me" - Another theme park performance.
2) Ruben - "I Love You Just the Way You Are" - Not wearing a jersey. And - get this - SIMON CRITICIZES RUBEN! Nothing harsh, of course, just that Ruben needs to mix it up a little.
3) Kim L. - "New York State of Mind" - FABULOUS! Once again, she took a song I normally don't care for and made me like it. The judges loved her and I'm seeing a lot of renewed Kimmel-love on the message boards. I hope that means she sticks around a few more weeks.
4) Carmen - "And So it Goes" - I love this song, but she butchered it. I had to listen to the original version over and over again last week in order to cleanse my ears.
Simon: "If I'm being honest, it was rather like going to a ghastly party, and a child singing at the end. For her parents. I'd say, shut up. I'll tell you why, at this stage in the competition, it's not good enough. It was terrible."
Randy: "I agree with you for once."
She looked like she was about to cry. I almost felt bad for her. Except not.
5) Josh - "Piano Man" - Craptacular. Simon doesn't criticize his painful facial expressions. He looks like George W. Bush singing.
6) Trenyce Baby Grand It was, you know, okay. Judges like it but didnt love it.
7) Clay - "Tell Her About It" - Wearing a black suit with a blue shirt; looks better than the button-down shirt. I think it's the outfit he wore on Wildcard night. Oh, the song. Starts off as a ballad - that tease! - and goes uptempo, which is just what he needed to do. Judges love it; only criticism is when Simon tells him to tone down the facial tics. Except he phrases it like this: "Clay, don't take this the wrong way, but I like you better with your eyes closed." Heh. Then Seacrest just has to say that he likes Simon better with his eyes closed. Interpret those comments however you wish.
Overall: If this keeps up we may see a Clay/Kimmel final 2. They both looked and sounded fantastic. (Plus, I think they would make a cute couple!)