Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (SPOILER THREAD) - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 07-17-2005, 11:27 PM
Banned

someone on my friends list posted this as one of their theories:

Ginny Weasly is in fact another Horcrux.

During the chamber of secrets scene at the end of CoS...

"So Ginny poured out her soul to me, and her soul happened to be exactly what I wanted... I grew stronger and stronger on a diet of her deepest fears, her darkest secrets. I grew powerful, far more powerful than little Miss Weasley. Powerful enough to start feeding Miss Weasley a few of my secrets, to start pouring a little of my soul back into her..." Tom Riddle

In book seven Harry's going to have to kill Ginny to kill Voldemort.

wow, think about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 07-17-2005, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshieDawn View Post

This book totally bummed me out! Dumbledore was my favorite character and now he's gone!? I just finished and it sucks! Argh! I thought that he'd be the guy to die in OTP. I got so mad at him for ignoring Harry but at the end when he cried... man, he was brilliant. I've always trusted him and I don't understand how Snape could have betrayed us like that! I really don't see how Harry will be able to defeat Voldemort without him. He's thick! I mean, for a 16 year old, he's very brave and everything, but without Dumbledore watching his back, how will he survive?? Honostly!

Wow, just thinking about it I'm starting to cry again... This sucks.

Well, Dumbledore now has a portrait in the office at Hogwarts, so maybe Harry can get some guidance from him still?

It's just so sad, though.
#63 Old 07-17-2005, 11:28 PM

The only reason why I can see that is because Snape could have killed Harry but didn't. Otherwise, Snape's alienated himself too much from the order to ever be of use to them, so getting on Voldi's good side would be pointless, because they'll never believe a word he says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 07-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by porvida View Post

"So Ginny poured out her soul to me, and her soul happened to be exactly what I wanted... I grew stronger and stronger on a diet of her deepest fears, her darkest secrets. I grew powerful, far more powerful than little Miss Weasley. Powerful enough to start feeding Miss Weasley a few of my secrets, to start pouring a little of my soul back into her..." Tom Riddle

wow, think about it!

That's such a crazy theory! It sounds like a good one, though.

I've thought about the RAB thing a lot today. I think it could possibly be Regulus, and that he hid the horcrux in 12 Grimmauld place, and perhaps Mundungus gets it and possibly sells it to someone... I'm speculating quite a bit, here, though.
#65 Old 07-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Veggie Regular

It wouldn't be pointless exactly. Snape will be on the inside and when it comes down to final action could help Harry defeat Voldi and or the death eaters. It is possible too that Voldemort wouldn't completely trust Snape until Dumbeldore was killed at Snape's hand. Having done this now, he may be privy to even more important information.
#66 Old 07-17-2005, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

wow, think about it!

Yknow...this is an interesting theory.
#67 Old 07-17-2005, 11:36 PM

Quote:

wow, think about it!

But you have to kill someone...
#68 Old 07-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegankat View Post

I've thought about the RAB thing a lot today. I think it could possibly be Regulus, and that he hid the horcrux in 12 Grimmauld place, and perhaps Mundungus gets it and possibly sells it to someone... I'm speculating quite a bit, here, though.

oh listen to THIS theory of his....

Who do you think R.A.B. is? Who do you think went with him into the cave?

"To the Dark Lord

I know I will be dead long before you read this but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret.

I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can.

I face death in the hope that when you meet your match, you will be mortal once more."

R.A.B.

R.A.B. is absolutely, without a doubt Regulus Black & the one that went with him to the cave was in fact Kreacher:

-We know he was a Death Eater that turned against Voldemort

-DE's are the only people that call Voldemort the "Dark Lord"

-Kreacher could travel in the boat along with Regulus without being detected and so that he could feed him the green liquid

-The locket mentioned in "Order of the Phoenix"...

OotP

"also a heavy locket that none of them could open"

It comes in the chapter "The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black" while Harry et. al., after de-doxying the curtains, are cleaning out a cabinet in the drawing room. The locked in Grimmauld Place is in fact the real Horcrux. Now, maybe Kreacher's motive in trying to save everything he could lay hands on was not just sentimentality - he had been instructed by Regulus to guard certain items, probably without knowing what these items might be. With the locket they found at Grimmauld place, it becomes very important that Harry inherited Sirius's possessions where that fact was pretty much glossed over in HBP. Also the side story with Mundungus Fletcher stealing items from Grimmauld Place would be completely unnecessary besides to support the locket theory.

OH MY GOD! I knew I kind of half thought of that. the locket!!!!
#69 Old 07-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad I'm not the only one to think of this possibility! It makes me feel smart that I could possibly be onto Rowling. XD
#70 Old 07-18-2005, 12:02 AM
Banned

yes, its a really good theory....but im still suspicious that R.A.B. would be regulus. I mean, so many people thought of that. its so obvious....and the locket thing could be too, its easy enough to find out. Maybe its NOT really regulus, for the last book in the series and for something so important it just seems too easy....

so how long are we going to have to wait for the next one? this past one got RIDICULOUS. it took SO LONG.
#71 Old 07-18-2005, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

But it was so worth it.
#72 Old 07-18-2005, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, if you consider how long it takes to write a first draft... maybe she's doing between 2000-5000 words a day. I'm sure she can afford care for her child, now, and has more free time, so maybe 5000 a day is reasonable. There are 650 pages, roughly, in this last book, and there's about 450 words to a typical novel page, making 292500 words. Assuming she does 5000 words a day, that's 58.5 days. So, about 2 months to write her first draft. Assuming it's about 650 pages, that is. If she's more of a 2000 words a day person, then it's 146 days, which is almost 5 months.

Some writers set aside their first drafts for a while (I'm working on a novel myself, so I've been researching this and asking other authors online), and the average that I've heard is a month. She may not do it that long, she may do it longer. But we can assume, now that there's 3 months to 6 months. Then she has to go over it all, fix everything, could be another month... 4 months to 7 months. Actually, I would give it longer than a month to fix. She's got some really complicated stuff in there, and smart as she is, I'm not sure she's that smart in her first draft.

So, I'd say about half a year to 8 months to get a manuscript ready to send to the publisher.
#73 Old 07-18-2005, 02:47 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokara View Post

Anyone else wonder if Harry's going to survive beyond book 7?

Yes, for the first time I do. I think he will survive though, because if he dos not, Voldemort survives which means that J.K. Rowling practically kills of the whole world.
#74 Old 07-18-2005, 05:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't read any of the books, so excuse my ignorance, but couldn't Harry himself be another Horcrux?
#75 Old 07-18-2005, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverC View Post

I haven't read any of the books, so excuse my ignorance, but couldn't Harry himself be another Horcrux?

I read that theory on an lj list. Dumbledore says in this book that he thinks that V was short one horcrux, when he came for Harry as a baby. So then he made Harry a horcrux, not trying to kill him at all. Knowing that all of his enemies would then be protecting one of his horcruxes.

And that made me think of the last scene where Snape is protecting Harry. If Snape is evil, he may or may not know why Voldemort wants Harry alive.
#76 Old 07-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverC View Post

ooooh, I like this theory! But if Harry was a Horcrux, wouldn't Voldemort be a little more protective of him? Like, mention to the death eaters it isn't such a goo idea to kill him? Perhaps it was an accident and he doesn't even know! and then Harry commits suicide at the end of book 7 (oh that'd be REALLY popular with the conservatives) and saves the world?
#77 Old 07-18-2005, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

if he was then why would moldywart try and kill him every time they meet?
#78 Old 07-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I hated her for killing Sirius, and now I think I may hate her more for killing DD. I cried like a baby from the time DD was killed until the last page. The book 7 needs to come out so Harry's parents, DD, and Sirius can all come back to life and Harry and Ginny can ride off into the sunset on a unicorn or something like that. Of course I can only imagine how upset I would be if that really happened, but give me some time, I'm still coming to terms with DD's death.
#79 Old 07-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Banned

i dont think harry could be a horcrux because i think voldemort purposely makes the horcruxes. he tried to kill harry but was unsuccessful so his soul wouldn't have split...maybe....i mean, unless the creation was a total accident. plus yeah, voldemort tried to kill harry.i heard another theory that maybe voldemort is in fact a partial horcrux of harry, because harry in essence killed him when the curse was reflected off of him, leaving harry with a scar but destroying voldemort...who then came back because his soul still existed within horcruxes though. i guess that kind of makes sense, but harry doesnt seem like he has more than one soul. if he did i think he'd seem more evil. I dunno. i thought of the harry as a horcrux thing too, but it seems not that plausible and a little too obvious...
#80 Old 07-18-2005, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Fascinating theories...
#81 Old 07-18-2005, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a Snape fan, but I tend to think that Dumbledore was pleading with Snape to kill him to save him due to the vow, and also to save Draco Malfoy. Dumbledore still viewed Draco as his student, and possibly as someone who could still be redeemed. I don't think he was pleading for his life, he was pleading for Snape to kill him.

And I think it's a testament to the kind of actor that Snape is that he was able to do it.

Now, having Snape as the HBP was a surprise, but I hadn't read any speculation prior to the book so I didn't have any clues or guesses, myself.

And as a final note, OT, yes, I am a slasher, but I don't slash anyone underage. The majority of the fic I read is either alternate universe or set post-Hogwarts, so that the characters are adults.

Just so that all of you don't think that I'm creepy. ^^;;

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#82 Old 07-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Baby Love

What the heck is a 'slasher'?
#83 Old 07-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't read fanfiction. So for the majority of us, what the hell is a "slasher"?

*this space not for sale*
#84 Old 07-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceryna View Post

And as a final note, OT, yes, I am a slasher, but I don't slash anyone underage. The majority of the fic I read is either alternate universe or set post-Hogwarts, so that the characters are adults.

Just so that all of you don't think that I'm creepy. ^^;;

That definitely makes a difference. I should have been more specific -- it's the underage slash that creeps me out, especially student/teacher.

I didn't mean it personally either way... apologies if it sounded like it.
#85 Old 07-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Slash fiction is alternate stories written (in this case) about Harry and friends... they're written by people and posted on slash sites - sometimes hundreds of stories.

They're ...uh... 'adult themed' in nature, describing relationships between characters in the HP books - they frequently take place (as Ceryna mentioned) post-Hogwarts, so the characters are older or adults.
#86 Old 07-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post

That definitely makes a difference. I should have been more specific -- it's the underage slash that creeps me out, especially student/teacher.

I didn't mean it personally either way... apologies if it sounded like it.

Oh, no worries. I just didn't want to give the wrong impression.

For those who don't know, slashing is the practice of pairing characters together in same-sex couples, Like Harry and Draco or Hermione and Ginny. Slash is not restricted to the Harry Potter fandom, although one of my favorite all-time slash pairings is from the Potterverse. Slash couples are non-canon, and we (the fans) know it, but we write fanfiction about it anyway.

Same-sex couples that are canon would not be considered slashed.

The term slash comes from the / that is used between character names to indicate the pairing. Like...Harry/Draco. The name that comes first can indicate the dominant member of the pair, but some people are more particular about that than others.

And thus ends the crash course in slash. ^^;;

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#87 Old 07-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh.

Thanks!

*this space not for sale*
#88 Old 07-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Oh.

Thanks!

Heh, it's not something one usually knows about unless one is involved in fanfic. =)

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

#89 Old 07-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceryna View Post

I'm not a Snape fan, but I tend to think that Dumbledore was pleading with Snape to kill him to save him due to the vow, and also to save Draco Malfoy. Dumbledore still viewed Draco as his student, and possibly as someone who could still be redeemed. I don't think he was pleading for his life, he was pleading for Snape to kill him.

I definitely agree there. Dumbledore wasn't afraid of death, he isn't the type to plead for his life, I don't think. He is, however, the type to die to protect his students.

Snape may yet redeem himself in my eyes.
#90 Old 07-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

i greatly enjoyed this book. i liked it muhc better than 5, but i liked 5 from a literary/story necessity standpoint.

i didn't suspect snape of being the 'half blood prince' and simply assumed that it was voldemort because he is a 'half blood' and would take to a term such as 'prince.' i thought it was clever of hermione to figure it out as a last name and work from there. i'm also glad that harry has the book, because it really betrays the mind (and talent) of Snape which will help Harry in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page