Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (SPOILER THREAD) - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 07-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

When I saw that JKR used the word slut, I just laughed out loud, I can't imagine what all the anti-Potter nuts are going to say

For the record though, I did cry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 07-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow. I have to say that I was pretty sure that Dumbledore was going to be the one to die but that whole Snape thing is a shocker. I found myself feeling really sorry for Malfoy, especially when he was crying to Myrtle. I really don't know how I am going to be able to wait for book 7. Hopefully JK will stop having babies and get on it right away!

Does anyone else expect there to be a lot of angry parents out there? This book had a lot more death and violence than the others and I imagine it will only get worse in the last one. I know JK said that the books would get darker as Harry got older but there were some really young kids at the midnight party I went to.
#33 Old 07-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I imagine the movie version of this would be wild. All the blood! I hope they don't censor it. I think the way death and violence is portrayed in these books is meaningful. It's a loss of innocence sort of thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 07-17-2005, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I was thinking R.A.B. might be Regulus too...
#35 Old 07-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Beginner

Mwah, I don't know. It certainly seems that Regulus was murdered quite soon after he resigned. Also, he might not have been bright enough. I think it's probably a new character.
#36 Old 07-17-2005, 03:13 PM

I think this book was less dark than book five. Funny how there wasn't a single scar pain.

I was always expecting Ginny and Harry to hook up (but poor Dean, ouch), and I was surprised by how long Ron and Hermione took. I was expecting Dumbledore to die, but in book seven, so I was really shocked.

I was really wrong about Tonks though, I thought someone was polymorphing into her, she seemed so off
#37 Old 07-17-2005, 03:25 PM

I'm steel reeling and devastated, but already have fanfiction ideas whirling through my brain...I REALLY have to finish the ones I already started. Really do. 9-9 Hmmm.

Also, Regulas Black was my first thought when I sas RAB. And I originally thought who the Half-Blood Prince would be, and I was right! Go me!
#38 Old 07-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Banned

I actually this book was a LOT darker than earlier ones, as was book 5. starting with book 4 they began to get pretty dark and a lot more violent, with a lot more creepy things. I'm going to be upset if they censor it, and they'd better do all they can to make them good...but it will probably require a pg-13 rating. I dont think it was a children's book at all, I think they'd get scared and it might be far too confusing.

Did anyone else notice all the crazy similarities to lord of the rings?!?!?

an evil ring

the dark lake....so gollum

the dead bodies in the water (in LOTR TTT there were bodies in the marshes, and the light led you to them....annnd the Inferi in HP were afraid of the light)

how you're not supposed to touch the water in the cave (dude, the tentacle that he thought he saw was straight freakin' out of FOTR)

Armies of dead men

and then if I wanted to stretch it I could say how the powerful old wizard in both falls and dies....though....dumbledore really IS dead....he didnt just fall...
#39 Old 07-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Baby Love

Argh.

It did seem like Dumbledore was preparing for his own death, but like Sirius I keep hoping its a trick. I was wishing Snape and Dumbledore had polyjuiced, and knowing Snape was bound to Malfoy or dead, Dumbledore (in Snapes form) killed Snape (in Dumbledores form) as a means of throwing everyone off and getting Dumbledore into the midst of the Death Eaters undetected. *sigh* Oh well. Only three more years to find out what actually happens
#40 Old 07-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

When Dumbledore and the ring were mentioned, the mental image changed to Gandalf for the rest of the scene. Which isn't really a stretch, considering what Dumbledore and Gandalf have in common :-P
#41 Old 07-17-2005, 04:44 PM

Anyone else wonder if Harry's going to survive beyond book 7?
#42 Old 07-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokara View Post

Anyone else wonder if Harry's going to survive beyond book 7?

It has crossed my mind, but I hope JK doesn't take it that far! She's tormented us all enough already. I got addicted to these books thinking they were cute little adventure stories
#43 Old 07-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

OMG. Just finished. Still processing. *weep*

Also? Harry/Ginny = NO!

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#44 Old 07-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceryna View Post

Also? Harry/Ginny = NO!

I know!

I thought Harry and Cho made a great couple. What happened there?
#45 Old 07-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Harry/Ginny = YES!!! I was so happy.

I thought of Regulus Black, too. But if we all thought of him, would Rowling be so obvious?

I thought Draco had something up his sleeve, crying to Moaning Myrtle; I'm still not convinced he didn't. But I'm glad he didn't have the evil in him to actually kill Dumbledore.

The polyjuice potion theory is attractive, but it doesn't change your voice, does it? I haven't read that book in so long, I'm not positive. Harry would definitely notice if Dumbledore had Snape's voice.

I have to admit I'm still hoping that Snape doesn't turn out to be Voldemort's toady. In the scene where he makes the Vow, doesn't it seem like he's guarding his words very carefully, and trying to discover what Draco's task is? And there's the conversation between Snape and Draco, where Snape is saying, "If you tell me what you're doing, I can help you."

I can see Dumbledore sacrificing his life in order to defeat Voldemort. Plus, he trusted Snape despite all the evidence in the world against him. I'm remembering Dumbledore making Harry swear to keep giving him the potion, even if he had to pour it down his throat... even if it killed him. Could he have had similar agreement with Snape? ...that if it came down to it, Snape would kill him to save Harry, and/or to solidify Voldemort's trust of Snape so that he could find out V's secrets -- maybe, where the horcruxes are hidden? It did seem like Snape hesitated; Dumbledore's pleading with him at the final moment could be, "Do it, Severus, this is the only way..."

Maybe I am grasping at straws... I do want Snape to turn out to be on the side of good, in the end... if only so Dumbledore's trust in him will turn out to be justified.
#46 Old 07-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I hope McGonagall turns out to be the new Headmistress, also. Though it doesn't make so much difference if Harry isn't going back to Hogwarts for his final year.
#47 Old 07-17-2005, 07:00 PM

I don't think Hogwarts will be open anymore.

And Harry and Cho? What? She was a pathetic little brat.
#48 Old 07-17-2005, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

#49 Old 07-17-2005, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I think Harry and Cho was mostly about Cho being very distraught and needing comfort, finding Harry, and then having a rebounding sort of relationship. She wanted to cry and talk about Cedric to the one person who she thought would understand, Harry did not, and so they didn't work.

I honestly thought it was going to be Hermione or Ron to die in this book, especially when I saw reactions of tears and "JK how could you??". Dumbledore is bad enough, but I thought she was teasing us with a relationship, and they would almost get close, and then BOOM, Hermione or Ron dies, and the fantastic three turns into Harry/Ginny/Ron, or Harry/Ginny/Hermione.
#50 Old 07-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I know it's the slasher in me that is rejecting Harry/Ginny. Realistically, canonically speaking, Harry/Ginny is better than Harry/Cho.

I love the canon as well as the fanon established in fanfic, and I can appreciate both separately and I realize that my preferred pairing is not supported by canon and will never happen, but it's my favorite nonetheless. ^^;;

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#51 Old 07-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel creeped out by HP slash.
#52 Old 07-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I thought the same thing about Harry in the fifth book

Naw, I really didn't even pay attention to most of the fifth book because I wanted to read it as fast as possible to find out who died! So all of my comments so far probably have no basis whatsoever I think a reread is in order.
#53 Old 07-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post

The polyjuice potion theory is attractive, but it doesn't change your voice, does it? I haven't read that book in so long, I'm not positive. Harry would definitely notice if Dumbledore had Snape's voice.

I have to admit I'm still hoping that Snape doesn't turn out to be Voldemort's toady. In the scene where he makes the Vow, doesn't it seem like he's guarding his words very carefully, and trying to discover what Draco's task is? And there's the conversation between Snape and Draco, where Snape is saying, "If you tell me what you're doing, I can help you."

I can see Dumbledore sacrificing his life in order to defeat Voldemort. Plus, he trusted Snape despite all the evidence in the world against him. I'm remembering Dumbledore making Harry swear to keep giving him the potion, even if he had to pour it down his throat... even if it killed him. Could he have had similar agreement with Snape? ...that if it came down to it, Snape would kill him to save Harry, and/or to solidify Voldemort's trust of Snape so that he could find out V's secrets -- maybe, where the horcruxes are hidden? It did seem like Snape hesitated; Dumbledore's pleading with him at the final moment could be, "Do it, Severus, this is the only way..."

In the movie, the potion didn't change their voices, but I'm not sure about the books. They didn't seem to detect that Moonys voice wasn't his when Barty jr. polyjuiced him. Malfoy never noticed that Crabbe and Goyle had different voices. Plus all the 'girls' standing guard, even when shrieking in fear, didn't seem to have male voices.

I do think its more likely that Dumbledore was Dumbledore. I'm just hoping otherwise. The idea Snape faking being a death eater is another decent theory. I've always had a hard time believing he's truly bad. That first scene does seem really fishy. I'm still hoping he's just really good at acting.
#54 Old 07-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Plus, Dumbledore wasn't afrid of death at all before he saw Snape, but when he saw him, he started pleading, and not specifically to be spared. Maybe he was begging Snape to kill him so that Voldie would trust Snape.
#55 Old 07-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I feel creeped out by HP slash.

I do too!
#56 Old 07-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I like slash, but really only SB/RL. They're adults so it doesn't weird me out. Though I have written some Marauders slash... >.>
#57 Old 07-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I just finished the book tonight and I have one thing to say.

I hate JK Rowling.

*this space not for sale*
#58 Old 07-17-2005, 11:02 PM

This book totally bummed me out! Dumbledore was my favorite character and now he's gone!? I just finished and it sucks! Argh! I thought that he'd be the guy to die in OTP. I got so mad at him for ignoring Harry but at the end when he cried... man, he was brilliant. I've always trusted him and I don't understand how Snape could have betrayed us like that! I really don't see how Harry will be able to defeat Voldemort without him. He's thick! I mean, for a 16 year old, he's very brave and everything, but without Dumbledore watching his back, how will he survive?? Honostly!

Wow, just thinking about it I'm starting to cry again... This sucks.
#59 Old 07-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Maybe I am grasping at straws... I do want Snape to turn out to be on the side of good, in the end... if only so Dumbledore's trust in him will turn out to be justified.

Same here, something I had thought about was perhaps Snape and Dumbledore had arranged this ahead of time. Like, Dumbeldore knew about the Vow and told Snape to follow through with it knowing that his time had come anyways and to secure someone on the inside. I too, maybe grasping at straws, but I hope that I am not.
#60 Old 07-17-2005, 11:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystmDwnGrl2 View Post

Same here, something I had thought about was perhaps Snape and Dumbledore had arranged this ahead of time. Like, Dumbeldore knew about the Vow and told Snape to follow through with it knowing that his time had come anyways and to secure someone on the inside. I too, maybe grasping at straws, but I hope that I am not.

It's not pleasant to think about, but there are two things that support that theory:

1. Dumbledore insisting that Harry get Snape, and not M. Pomfrey, for the antidote.

2. Dumbledore using the freezing charm on Harry so Harry couldn't do anything when Snape got there.

*this space not for sale*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page