Best/worst movie experiences. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-22-2005, 01:23 AM

Okay, so in case you're new..I spend more than a bit of time at my local theatre. There's been much discussion around here lately about StarWars, which had me thinking about how disappointed I was with the other 2 prequels.

Share your good/bad movie moments here. Not necessarily your favorite/least favorite movies, but ones that maybe gave you particular joy in the theatre.

Faves here:

*Empire Strikes Back - I thought I would die waiting 3 years to find out what "there is another" meant

*Field of Dreams - finally, a movie that's true to the book. The scene with Moonlight Graham made we want to stand up and cheer in the theatre, lol. And the climax...oh man, I still haven't been able to make it to the end of the film without weeping.

*The Sixth Sense - I had *no* idea of the "secret" of this film until it began to be revealed. Additionally, I was amazed at the quality of acting on the part of the kid and Bruce Willis (who knew?)

*Silverado - I *hate* westerns. I mean *really* despise them. But, around age 12, my dad dragged me to this one, and I was amazed. Fantastic humor, great good/evil symbolism...now a member of my permanent collection.

*The Princess Bride - again, one that snuck up on me. Not just a mushy-gushy fairy tale, but one filled with lots of sarcasm and wicked humor. More quotable lines than Rocky Horror.

And the ones that broke my heart....

*Star Wars Episode I - 16 years of anticipation dashed in a few short minutes, leaving me (literally) sitting in the theatre in a sort of surrealist state.."surely I must be dreaming this crap, right?" lol

*Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban - a tale of love, forgiveness, redemption...reduced to a cliched, tiresome teenybopper flick. What a hack.

*The Majestic - a movie about the joy of the movies..how could I not like that? Starts out well, then unravels completely.

I'm sure there are more, but these come quickly to mind.

There's nothing like the movies.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-22-2005, 01:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I didnt' have high hopes for it in the first place, but DH dragged me out to see Armageddon when it was in the theaters...

I still haven't forgiven him for that one.

#3 Old 05-22-2005, 02:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Back when "Thin Red Line" and "Saving Private Ryan" came out, the Triple J movie reviewer talked up Thin Red Line like it was the best movie ever made. She raved and raved and raved about it.

So I says to my husband "let's not go to Saving Private Ryan. I hear it's Hollywood crap. Thin Red Line is supposed to be HEAPS better".

Oh. My. GOD did that movie suck. It was the worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life. I came out of the cinema angry at the hideous waste of my money and time. And I never paid attention to that stupid movie reviewer from Triple J ever again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-22-2005, 03:08 AM
Banned

For me, its more about the movie going experience than the movies themselves. Here's a few:

Being dragged to Rocky Horror for the first time without knowing anything about it. Was amazed when people started throwing toast and shooting squirt guns and shouting at the screen. Great fun.

Seeing forgotten Laurel and Hardy silent movies with a live organ player playing recently discovered original film score at an old theatre in SF.

Wandering in to see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in a an hold 'homemade' cinema in Torun, Poland (very small town). Ever see a film in Cantonese with Polish subtitles and try to follow the plot?

Somehow securing a ticket to a charity screening of 'Withnail and I' in London only to find out it was a huge celebrity thing with all of the film's cast members present along with London's gliteratti. The cast talked about the film and the screenwriter did as well. They auctioned off a bunch of stuff from the film (the original manuscript!) and had a big party afterward. I chatted with the guy who played the stoner (camberwell carrot ) and flirted (unsuccessfully) with a Spice Girl...

Watching my 5 year old nephew go absolutely apes__t with joy while watching 'Valiant' recently. He was literally jumping out of his seat with excitement at that film.

Sitting through a screening of Fellini's Satyricon for about an hour when someone in the crowd finally stood up and said 'WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!' and the whole crowd laughing.
#5 Old 05-22-2005, 03:30 AM
Banned

The highs:

- The original Star Wars. There will never be another movie I will enjoy as much. Unpossible!

- Silverado. Danny Glover was one bad mamba jamba with that Henry rifle.

- Sleepers. Excellent. Just excellent. True to the book, and the acting was so strong that I thought the movie gave me a better feel for why some characters behaved the way they did than the book.

- Glory. The last few minutes are just amazing on the big screen.

The bad:

The Burbs. WTF was I thinking? Hideous. Just hideous.

Road House. This movie made me so angry that I boycotted the movie industry for some time afterwards.

Planet of the Apes. I stated before watching this that you couldn't **** up a movie with talking apes riding horses and shooting guns. Well, as it turns out, you can. Start with having Marky Mark (without the Funky Bunch) in the lead role. This guy has some hottie in furry undergarments all over him, and he is making moo eyes at a chimpanzee? WTF?
#6 Old 05-22-2005, 04:29 AM
Veggie Regular

The best:

LOTR: The Two Towers: A big to midnight viewings. I was two seats away from Gandalf (Gimli and Galadriel were two roows up to my left) and the movie just blew my mind. I promised to read the books before seeing the movies so this was the first time I had seen the NZ landscape on the big screen. Breathtaking.

The Lion King- Best school field trip ever! and it wasn't even for my school!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail- A horrible, boring movie, except for the funny parts. Guarantees years of laughter simply from repeating chosen lines at appropriate moments. I'm not quite dead yet!

The worst:

My friend taking me to see catwoman. Please please please do not think I wanted to see this piece of ****, but I hadn't seen my friend in forever and this was the movie she thought would bring us back to together again... I spent the entire time looking at my cell phone to see when the blasted thing would be over.

Lost in Translation- I'm getting tired of Bill Murray's "I'm an aging star" shtick. Had I been watching this at home I could at least clean or do something productive while catching the good parts. But I was stuck in a theater, empty except for 5 other people, all over age 60.

and finally....:

Wild Things. with my parents.
#7 Old 05-22-2005, 04:35 AM

My Favs:

Swept Away - The original with Giancarlo Giannini. Great social commentary and

just plain cool.

Psycho - Anthony Perkins was so scary and took me ages to get in the shower

again, but then I was just a kid when I say this.

Glory - I agree, the last few minutes are amazing.

The Last of the Mohicans - Just plain good

Nice Dreams - Pee wee Herman and Stacy Keech are a hoot in this Cheech and

Chong movie.

Skins and Powwow Highway - It's an Indian thing, most wouldn't understand.

Worst:

Swept Away Remake - Who in their right mind would think Madonna could do

This?

The Grudge - Just plain stunk!

Redo's: Godzilla, Planet of the Apes, King Kong - These have to be some of

worst of all time.
#8 Old 05-22-2005, 04:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't remember much offhand, but here are a couple:

The best:

Amelie--Somehow, this was the movie that helped me to my epiphany that I should break up with my high-school boyfriend and find true love. And I did!

Kill Bill--I was living in BFE, Vermont for college and didn't get to movies much. All I had heard about it was that it was Tarantino and that it was being hailed as "the most violent movie ever made." I really didn't want to go see it, but I went with a couple of my guy friends and LOVED it! Totally surprising and fun.

Lost in Translation--Something about this movie hit me really deeply, and it was just a lovely experience in a lovely independent theater in Denver.

The worst:

Mystic River--I was expecting so much from this all-star cast and mega-hyped film. Totally shocked when it turned out to be a horribly written piece o' crap.
#9 Old 05-22-2005, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

I can't remember much offhand, but here are a couple:

The best:

Amelie--Somehow, this was the movie that helped me to my epiphany that I should break up with my high-school boyfriend and find true love. And I did!

Kill Bill--I was living in BFE, Vermont for college and didn't get to movies much. All I had heard about it was that it was Tarantino and that it was being hailed as "the most violent movie ever made." I really didn't want to go see it, but I went with a couple of my guy friends and LOVED it! Totally surprising and fun.

Lost in Translation--Something about this movie hit me really deeply, and it was just a lovely experience in a lovely independent theater in Denver.

The worst:

Mystic River--I was expecting so much from this all-star cast and mega-hyped film. Totally shocked when it turned out to be a horribly written piece o' crap.

Thought I was the only one

that thought that Mystic River sucked! I was so dispointed.
#10 Old 05-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh my God--PortableKitten--I love you! You are my new VB soulmate! My fiance and I always thought we were the only ones who hated that movie. Everyone else gets this disgusted look on their face when I say I hated it and acts like I'm a philistine.
#11 Old 05-22-2005, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownieB26 View Post

and finally....:

Wild Things. with my parents.

Sweet Moses! You must've needed a whole team of therapists after that, lol.

((shudder))

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#12 Old 05-22-2005, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

Oh my God--PortableKitten--I love you! You are my new VB soulmate! My fiance and I always thought we were the only ones who hated that movie. Everyone else gets this disgusted look on their face when I say I hated it and acts like I'm a philistine.

I know what you mean!! I have no idea what all the hype was about. I expected so much more for Penn, especially. I also thought the plot stunk. My friends thought I was nuts for my opinion and from the sound of it, yours must have thought you were too. Happy to see there is someone besides me!
#13 Old 05-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortableKitten View Post

Thought I was the only one

that thought that Mystic River sucked! I was so dispointed.

i fell asleep during mystic river

eta: actually, though, the "movie-going experience" for that one wasn't that terrible - it was actually kind of funny. i went to the theater with my then-boyfriend, and i got in just fine but then as i was walking into the actual theater part, the owner (who had just let me pass two seconds ago) was like, "wait a second, how old are you?" i was 17 at the time, thus old enough to see an r-rated movie, but i had a bit of a brain fart and almost replied, "i'm fifteen!"

it was a good nap, though.
#14 Old 05-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

good movie experiences:

team america - a few of my friends from college and i were all staying a couple days over a vacation at this kid's house in massachusetts. we decided we were going to go see this movie, and all but one of us weaseled our way in without paying, and there were hardly any other people there besides us, and those few people probably regretted going to that showing with how loudly we laughed and made obnoxious jokes

robots - i was at this same friend's house in massachusetts, and we went to see this. i expected to hate the movie, but i loved it, and found a frightening number of parallels to my own life at that time. but i kept them to myself until my friend was like - "um, so a bunch of misfits all living in a crazy pink house -- jen, seem familiar at all?"

star wars episode 2 - i didn't like the movie but it was all worth it for the yoda fight scene. the audience was totally silent, all into the movie, and my friend and i just couldn't hold back -- we started shouting "MUPPET WITH A LIGHT SABER! MUPPET WITH A LIGHT SABER!"

a crappy experience:

what women want - i think my friend and i still haven't forgiven my mother for dragging us to that one

and then as said already, mystic river.
#15 Old 05-22-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuko View Post

good movie experiences:

team america - a few of my friends from college and i were all staying a couple days over a vacation at this kid's house in massachusetts. we decided we were going to go see this movie, and all but one of us weaseled our way in without paying, and there were hardly any other people there besides us, and those few people probably regretted going to that showing with how loudly we laughed and made obnoxious jokes

robots - i was at this same friend's house in massachusetts, and we went to see this. i expected to hate the movie, but i loved it, and found a frightening number of parallels to my own life at that time. but i kept them to myself until my friend was like - "um, so a bunch of misfits all living in a crazy pink house -- jen, seem familiar at all?"

star wars episode 2 - i didn't like the movie but it was all worth it for the yoda fight scene. the audience was totally silent, all into the movie, and my friend and i just couldn't hold back -- we started shouting "MUPPET WITH A LIGHT SABER! MUPPET WITH A LIGHT SABER!"

a crappy experience:

what women want - i think my friend and i still haven't forgiven my mother for dragging us to that one

and then as said already, mystic river.

So, Robots is worth renting? I wasn't sure if we would like it or not so I decided to wait for it to come out on DVD.
#16 Old 05-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortableKitten View Post

So, Robots is worth renting? I wasn't sure if we would like it or not so I decided to wait for it to come out on DVD.

i'd say it's worth it, and a few folks i know would agree
#17 Old 05-22-2005, 04:39 PM

The best (please note that I rarely see movies.):

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace: I walked out of the theater (at age six) thinking it was the best movie I had ever seen. Then I re-watched it last week. And officially want to sue Lucas for warping my poor six-year-old mind into dragging my dad back to the theater three times. (I guess this counts as a best movie going experience because I DID enjoy it at the time...) This is the same for episode two.

Harry Potter (all three): Midnight showings rock. Especially when you're dressed up.

Looney Toons: Back in Action: You think I actually watched this movie??? Hell no, I just went for the Harry Potter trailer. Good trailer... even better than watching it eight times on the computer.) Great movie going experience.... ummm.... trailer experience...

That-one-long-movie-about-the-guy-who-was-a-robot-and-then-became-human: I think I saw this when I was five or so, maybe six, so I completely forget the name. But it was good...

101 Dalmations: First movie in theaters. Can't beat that.

Worst:

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy: Took me half an hour to figure out what the plot was. I don't really like funny movies, either, so I was bored to death. Also, they didn't play the Harry Potter trailer, which was half the reason I went. (The other half was so I could get some diet coke, which my mom refuses to buy...)

The Polar Express: This could've been bumped up to "best" just because I would've gotten a nice nap in, if it weren't for the five-year-old sitting next to me saying, very loudly, COOL! every five seconds. Of course, HIS dad must've been wearing ear-plugs or something, because he was asleep.

In the middle:

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith: Fight scenes: great. Plot: great. Heyden Christensen: hot but sucked. standing outside in a thunderstorm for three hours while waiting for the movie: creepy. Dialogue: sucked.
#18 Old 05-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I nearly forgot my best movie experience, but it wasn't in a theater. But still gave me "particular joy"

Lion King... DH (then bf of 1 week) and i were on the couch watching this when, in the middle of the movie, I gave him 'that look' hehehehe BEST MOVIE EXPERIENCE EVER. I still can't watch Lion King without giggling.

Worst experience... among them, FORREST GUMP. We watched this in a military theater so the seats were wooden fold-down seats and they actually stopped the film in the middle when they changed reels
#19 Old 05-22-2005, 06:37 PM

Okay, I'm sure to receive a lot of backlash for my "Chick Flick" choices , however, two movies come to mind that were complete opposites;

Bad experience: Evening Star. Anyone remember this???? No? That's okay, it was, and should have been, easily forgotten.

It was the sequel to Terms Of Endearment (One of my all time favorite flicks), a sequel that should never have been made--it was that awful....

Shirley Maclaine is one of my favorite actresses but even I have to wonder; WHAT could she possibly have been thinking?

Good experience: The Hours. Again, we're talking pretty much strictly female audience on this one, but I left there so emotionally wrought, which is my sign of a good film--ha! There wasn't a character I couldn't identify with....

Another bad experience: The Godfather III.

Another sequel gone horribly wrong and one that should have stayed in a very tightly sealed vault. The first two are classics, the third was just a classic mess.

Sophia Coppola is much better behind the camera than in front. Not that the nightmare that was this movie lies solely on her petite shoulders (in her defense, she says her famous pop talked her into playing the role of Mary and that she really had no interest in acting--it showed)--it was just a bad, bad idea from beginning to end....

More Good experiences: Million Dollar Baby; Everything a movie should be.....

Face/Off; Yes, a bit cheesy in it's concept, but John Woo did a superb job of directing two of my favorite dynamos, Travolta and Cage...Just a good kick-a$$ film! Also, The Empire Strikes Back which I saw 11 times in the theatre--need I say more???? Oh, and E.T.

Oh, and anytime I had "Doc Holliday" sitting behind me coughing up a hair ball (Jeez, stay home if you're that sick, would ya?) was never a good time

So, from now on it's the back row for me....
#20 Old 05-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Banned

too many colours
#21 Old 05-22-2005, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

too many colours

*That's funny--someone PM'd me not too long ago and complimented me on my color choices
#22 Old 05-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Banned

I find it hard to read any of your posts beyond a couple of sentences b/c of the colours.
#23 Old 05-22-2005, 07:22 PM

Quote:

I find it hard to read any of your posts beyond a couple of sentences b/c of the colours.

* Ignore, ignore, ignore...it's that easy
#24 Old 05-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Banned

God forbid I wanted to see if you had something interesting to say. Pink is a difficult colour to read on a computer screen and I wanted to let you know.

Next time, I'll make sure to skip your posts then.
#25 Old 05-22-2005, 07:36 PM

Quote:

God forbid I wanted to see if you had something interesting to say. Pink is a difficult colour to read on a computer screen and I wanted to let you know.

Next time, I'll make sure to skip your posts then.

*First of all--it's mostly done in purple. Secondly, you seem to have something cynical to say about many things so, in light of this, perhaps it's best to skip each others posts and stick to the topic at hand here so as not to bore everyone with this silly tit for tat.

Have a great evening, anyway.
#26 Old 05-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the4leafclover View Post

*That's funny--someone PM'd me not too long ago and complimented me on my color choices

Not to continue an argument, but for what it's worth, I have a really hard time reading your posts as well. I'm using the "grape" skin, so it's always purple/pinkish fonts on a purple background.
#27 Old 05-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Banned

I have blue because it's easier on my eyes and it's still rough.
#28 Old 05-22-2005, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

Not to continue an argument, but for what it's worth, I have a really hard time reading your posts as well. I'm using the "grape" skin, so it's always purple/pinkish fonts on a purple background.

*I think it's best to just drop this and not have everyone jump on the bandwagon here....
#29 Old 05-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

And HOW all this has anything to do with the original subject, I DO not know, but to further hijack the thread - two points here:

1.) There IS an "ignore" options for those who are colorfully challanged..(some of us are not, and actually ENJOY it)

2.) We have the option of PM's to to address issues we may have with someone rather than being rude and catty all over a public thread...

I'm not a mod but my thought? Get back on subject folks...
#30 Old 05-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Banned

Let me know how that works out for you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page