What should I be listening to right now? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

After looking through my sad CD collection (Beauty and the Beast soundtrack, Michael W. Smith's "Go West Young Man," and--I can't believe I'm admitting this--Celine Dion...you get the picture) I'm realizing that I'm totally uncool. I haven't purchased a new CD in forever (except for a Kansas collection, which I just had to have for some bizarre reason a few months ago); mostly I just listen to the radio on the way to work, and at home I read.

So: What CDs should I buy so that a 20-something and/or 30-something getting into my car and flipping through my CDs doesn't think I'm a moron?

I like everything. Seriously everything. Which is why I don't buy CDs, 'cause I just cruise around to the crap that's on the radio. And the non-crap: I like that one song about someone having a boyfriend that looks like a girlfriend from last February (is that The Killers?). So, that's fun and all, but I also want to really 'know' more about the current music scene.

Suggestions for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, that's the Killers. The emo/screamo/hardcore scene is absolutely HUGE right now: Underoath, Blood Brothers, Story of the Year, The Mars Volta, Comeback Kid, Norma Jean, Avenged Sevenfold, The Used, not even skimming the surface here. Green Day is hot right now (their latest stuff, unfortunately, not their classic). Sorry, I'm not too great with super mainstream MTV/radio stuff. It's not really my cup o'muscial tea, just very knowledgable because of my job. May I recommend Flogging Molly's latest "Within a Mile of Home"? Excellent album! HTH a little.
#3 Old 04-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, Katt Fink. What's your job? The recommendation is appreciated. I really want to listen to what people who aren't using MTV as their sole music source are listening to--stuff that I might not hear on my way to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I work at a music-inspired retail/clothing store
#5 Old 04-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

The Dropkick Murphys is an excellent group, I highly recommend them.

I don't listen to a lot of "now" music, either. In fact, most of my music collection is anime and video game soundtracks, and random tracks from random artists, plus some favourites like Barenaked Ladies, The Postal Service, Jewel, Sarah MacLachlan, The White Stripes, The Sundays, and Coldplay.
#6 Old 04-28-2005, 09:04 PM

Okay, I would offer some suggestions, but I'm having trouble thinking between laughing and hearing in my head....

"looking for a reason, roaming through the night to find my place in this world, my place is this woooooooooorrrrllld".

Ah, those were the days. (kidding)

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 04-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey! When I was 17, I was in the front row of a MWS concert, and I swear he saw and waved at me personally. Probably because I was holding up my three year old sister, but whatever--it was magical.
#8 Old 04-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

The Dropkick Murphys is an excellent group, I highly recommend them.

Barenaked Ladies, The Postal Service, Jewel, Sarah MacLachlan, The White Stripes, The Sundays, and Coldplay.

Cool. Okay, so I recognize these! Maybe I should just head over to the store and buy a few...
#9 Old 04-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

>> I'm realizing that I'm totally uncool. I haven't purchased a new CD in forever (except for a Kansas collection, which I just had to have for some bizarre reason a few months ago); mostly I just listen to the radio on the way to work, and at home I read.

So: What CDs should I buy so that a 20-something and/or 30-something getting into my car and flipping through my CDs doesn't think I'm a moron?

>>

heh...the "cool" music today sucks.

I'd give you reccomendations, but I veer weird.

ebola
#10 Old 04-30-2005, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's a source for exceptionally ecclectic music sites:

weirdomusic.com links

Download/burn or buy and enjoy!
#11 Old 04-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Well if you like that Killers song you might look into some similar stuff...

Modest Mouse

Franz Ferdinand

The Vines

The Strokes

Interpol

Snow Patrol

Keane

Coldplay

The Shins

uhh... that's all that comes to mind right now.

What I like to do is use either MusicMatch or iTunes and look up a band I like in the Music Store. Then there are always music suggestions when I'm looking at a current band (on the right side, under "you might also try" or "others also bought" or "similar artists" etc). or in musicmatch, you can read about the artist and they'll have influences in the band's bio sometimes.
#12 Old 05-02-2005, 12:58 PM

neutral milk hotel - in the aeroplane over the sea

the walkmen - bows and arrows

the walkmen - everyone who pretended to like me is gone

grandaddy - under the western freeway

quasi - featuring "birds"

elliott smith (all albums)

rufus wainwright - want one
#13 Old 05-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebola View Post

heh...the "cool" music today sucks.

It's true.

*feels old at 21*
#14 Old 05-02-2005, 05:08 PM

the bloc party album (dont remember album title) is good...fun stuff.
#15 Old 05-02-2005, 06:28 PM

stel- out of nowhere
#16 Old 05-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

>>heh...the "cool" music today sucks.

It's true.

*feels old at 21*>>

By these criteria, though, I was a fuddy-duddy at 16.

ebola

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page