VBers who love HP (Harry Potter) - Page 34 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#991 Old 07-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Banned

Just saw part 1 and was very disappointed. I thought the acting would have improved over the last ten years, but it's still like watching a badly rehearsed school play. I could forgive it if there was at least chemistry between Harry, Ron and Hermione but there isn't. Casting was a huge mistake. They should have chosen good actors who could be made to look like the characters rather than choosing faces that fit and expecting that to make up for a lack of talent.

I am such a huge fan of the books that it upsets me. I can't wait for the films to be remade, hopefully when I have kids so I can enjoy them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#992 Old 07-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a dilemma: my local cinema is doing a midnight showing (which I didn't know we had in the UK!), but the film will be 3 hours long including adverts, and my graduation ceremony is at 10.30am the next day. Do I risk turning up with little sleep and square eyes from the 3D vision??? This is my last ever chance to go to a midnight showing of a HP film, BUT my graduation is kinda important, people tell me...

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#993 Old 07-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I just bought my IMAX tickets for Harry Potter!

Is it too much to ask that people don't bring their children? They always ruin it. lol

There isn't enough love in the Universe....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#994 Old 07-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Seriously! I always go to the midnight showing, on a weeknight, to avoid the friggin brats.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#995 Old 07-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGoddess View Post

I have a dilemma: my local cinema is doing a midnight showing (which I didn't know we had in the UK!), but the film will be 3 hours long including adverts, and my graduation ceremony is at 10.30am the next day. Do I risk turning up with little sleep and square eyes from the 3D vision??? This is my last ever chance to go to a midnight showing of a HP film, BUT my graduation is kinda important, people tell me...

Square eyes and little sleep! Take a nap in the afternoon. This is the last film! Midnight showings have a great energy and no one will make fun of you for crying - because they'll be crying themselves. My bf is going to work the next day for 10 am, so you won't be the only one in the world.

Anyways, I love both the films and the books. I view them as entirely separate entities, though. The books, which are ultimately about kindness, loyalty, friendship and love, obviously stand on their own. The richness of Rowling's imagination and her views on life are clear and beautiful. I am humbled by her large heart and respect for kindness.

The films, I think, capture the essence of the books (most of the time). I have criticisms, of course, but they're never vitriolic because I can acknowledge the love and incredibly hard work that has gone into them the past decade.

My biggest gripe is that the screenwriter has an obvious love of Hermione that has harmed Ron. For the sake of making Hermione better, Ron has been turned into a bit of a joke and pushed into the background.

Sure, sometimes the films do not focus on the right things (hello HBP!) but when I think of how the films could have been, I realize how good they are. The kids have grown into beautiful adults, who have shown a dedication to the project that would have been impossibly to predict when they were hired at 10 years old. Rupert is a natural and the others have obviously worked very hard to get where they are in their acting abilities.

I guess I just appreciate what we've been given - as a bonus to the books!
#996 Old 07-04-2011, 04:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Just booked my midnight showing tickets! They included free entry to the first part the night before. Not IMAX, because our nearest IMAX is too far away for my boyfriend; he has work in the morning. I'll see it in IMAX a bit later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#997 Old 07-04-2011, 11:13 AM

Harry Potter has been my life for the last few years, so I'm pretty happy about the new film. I'm going to the premiere on Thursday evening here in Cardiff. I'm sooooo excited. Practically bouncing out of my seat.

~Tabby~ I am a very new vegetarian (20 June 2011) and am still learning a lot. I'm probably quite naive in my views.
#998 Old 07-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Banned

What's up with Pottermore? Do we have to pay? Did JK run out of money? audio books and e-book sales...
#999 Old 07-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Banned

Pottermore is a free site, but it seems some things will be for sale. It wouldn't surprise me if the profits went to charity, like with the other companion books that were released (The Quidditch one, the magical beasts book and the fairy tale one). Rowling said a long time ago she intended to release an encyclopedia, which seems to be the basic function of Pottermore, and have the profits go to charity.
#1000 Old 07-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I love Harry Potter and have since I was young! AMAZING series. Love both the books and movies, and can't wait for the new one.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#1001 Old 07-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Am I the only one who's been massively disappointed with the movies? Especially the last couple. Actually, the first two did a very good job of translating the books to the big screen, and the third was pretty good, but not perfect. It's been all downhill lately, though. I'm not sure if I'll even bother with the last one on the big screen - might just wait to watch it at home in a few months.

--Fromper
#1002 Old 07-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that the movies veer from the books a bit, but not in a disappointing or excessive way. Percy Jackson, anyone?

#1003 Old 07-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I always believed in Severus Snape.

Tam! RUGH!
#1004 Old 07-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Me too.

--Fromper
#1005 Old 07-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:

I looked up all kinds of spoilers before I got the end. So I did too?
#1006 Old 07-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeannem View Post

I looked up all kinds of spoilers before I got the end. So I did too?

No. BAD reneeannem.

#1007 Old 07-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

No. BAD reneeannem.

I only read the books/watched the movies two years ago! I refused for many years, until my bf finally forced me to sit down and watch PS. Of course, I fell in love immediately, as kindness is a quality that is terribly important to me, but I have absolutely no self-control when it comes to spoilers.
#1008 Old 07-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Still scratching my head... what's PS? I can't think of any Harry Potter titles that match it...?

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#1009 Old 07-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Still scratching my head... what's PS? I can't think of any Harry Potter titles that match it...?

Philosopher's Stone!
#1010 Old 07-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Ahhh! I think that's my favorite of the whole series! Here in the United States they changed the title to "Sorcerer's Stone"... I forget what the rationale for that was.

I liked the book better than the movie, but the movie was good.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#1011 Old 07-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorcerer's Stone in the US. Apparently we're not smart enough to understand what a Philosopher is.

#1012 Old 07-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Ironic since the founding fathers of the US could all very easily be described as philosophers, including every signer of the declaration and constitution all of the first six or seven presidents.

Tam! RUGH!
#1013 Old 07-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ironic since the founding fathers of the US could all very easily be described as philosophers, including every signer of the declaration and constitution all of the first six or seven presidents.

What's a constitution?

#1014 Old 07-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's the whole bit about knowing that the philosopher's stone is supposedly something magical that they didn't think Americans would get. They figured we Americans wouldn't know enough about medieval European superstitions to get the reference, so we'd think the book was about philosophy, not magic.

But actually, the philospher's stone concept has popped up plenty of times in 20th century American popular culture. It was the weapon of Dr. Alchemy, an enemy of the superhero Flash in DC Comics. There was an Indiana Jones novel called "Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone". There was even a Donald Duck cartoon called "The Fabulous Philosopher's Stone".

Ok, I cheated by checking Wikipedia, but I really did know about Dr. Alchemy. I was only on Wiki to make sure I was remembering the right supervillain name, because I thought I might have been getting him confused with Mister Element. And ironically, Mister Element WAS Dr. Alchemy - they're the same character. But the one I was thinking of was the later Dr. Alchemy persona.

But apparently, British publishers think all Americans are idiots, so they had to dumb down the title of the first HP novel for us. I just find it funny that they gave up on making sure the titles made sense to outsiders so quickly after that. Who could possibly have known what Azkaban was before reading that book?

--Fromper
#1015 Old 07-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I understood what the Philosopher's stone was, but I didn't make the connection until after reading the book.

#1016 Old 07-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Harry Potter is Star Wars.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#1017 Old 07-08-2011, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Harry Potter is Star Wars.

Actually, that's a pretty bad comparison. I was expecting a detailed article about how they both use common archetypes, which would have been completely true and much more detailed than that.

--Fromper
#1018 Old 07-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I think it's the whole bit about knowing that the philosopher's stone is supposedly something magical that they didn't think Americans would get. They figured we Americans wouldn't know enough about medieval European superstitions to get the reference, so we'd think the book was about philosophy, not magic.

But actually, the philospher's stone concept has popped up plenty of times in 20th century American popular culture. It was the weapon of Dr. Alchemy, an enemy of the superhero Flash in DC Comics. There was an Indiana Jones novel called "Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone". There was even a Donald Duck cartoon called "The Fabulous Philosopher's Stone".

Ok, I cheated by checking Wikipedia, but I really did know about Dr. Alchemy. I was only on Wiki to make sure I was remembering the right supervillain name, because I thought I might have been getting him confused with Mister Element. And ironically, Mister Element WAS Dr. Alchemy - they're the same character. But the one I was thinking of was the later Dr. Alchemy persona.

But apparently, British publishers think all Americans are idiots, so they had to dumb down the title of the first HP novel for us. I just find it funny that they gave up on making sure the titles made sense to outsiders so quickly after that. Who could possibly have known what Azkaban was before reading that book?

--Fromper

I guess they gave Canadians the benefit of the doubt.
#1019 Old 07-08-2011, 09:09 AM

No doubt. Star Wars was "criticized" for being a rip-off of Westerns. Good and Evil, orphans, characters with undecipherable motives...all these pieces have been part of storytelling for centuries.

I have not been a big fan of the movies overall, but I was pleased with DH1. The first two were very Hollywood (directed by Chris Columbus, so go figure). POA (my favorite of the books) was so bad I wanted to rip my ears off to make it end. The next three again seemed a bit bland, to fans of the books at least, and I don't remember being overwhelmed by any one particular film. There were good parts though...the maze in Goblet of Fire, or blasting up the Ministry of Magic, and Imelda Staunton's simply amazing turn as Umbridge.

I'm looking forward to the end, but was horribly sad when the release date was moved back last year, as I'd hoped to go with my sisters while we were in the States. Sigh.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#1020 Old 07-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

--Fromper

I knew about the Philosopher's Stone concept years before HP came out. Of course, I was one of those kids who read science books and watched the History channel growing up, as opposed to watching American Idol and smoking pot which is my exact perception of many from my generation and likely the cause of a great deal of their mental deficiencies. Oh snap JJ is ranting and raving again, look out!

Tam! RUGH!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page