VBers who love HP (Harry Potter) - Page 33 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#961 Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Order of the Phoenix was one of my favorites. I loved the secret DADA group, the Twins' departure, and when Umbridge finally got what she deserved.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#962 Old 08-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

I believe I belong here .

(For those of you who know me.... my knowledge of Harry Potter (books-wise) far exceeds my knowledge of Tolkien.... I know! Shock horror! )

Anyhoo....

I should probably make this clear. I hate the films. Cannot stand them. However, since DH was published I've started getting into the films big-time. I own all of them that have been released and I will be there for the first showing of DH part 1 at my local cinema. I still hate the films, I think they're rubbish but I'm not ready to let go of the Harry Potter excitement just yet. Harry Potter has been with me since July 1997 (so I would have been 6 years old? ). It's been a part of my childhood, the excitement and build-up to the release of the next book. Now that's over! So even though I know I will be disappointed in the films, I still have to join in with the hype of a new release and go see them because I'm not ready to let go of it just yet. Part 1 of DH I will be going to see as soon as it comes out. I will probably have to delay DH part 2 until I'm ready. I know full well that at the end of DH part 2 I will be in floods of tears. Not because of what I will have just seen, but because that's it. It's over. I will probably have to be carried out of the cinema (where I might go to see it.. not sure if I'm going to wait until the DVD release just to give me more time until that inevitable moment.)

I know, I know, I'm being silly. But it really has been such a massive part of my childhood and I can't let go of it yet. Oh and another thing... Again those of you who know me will understand this more, but it is because of Harry Potter that I discovered Tolkien. No seriously. When we went to the cinema to see Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, the trailer for Fellowship of the Ring was shown. I told my mother that I wanted to go see that as well and from that my Tolkien-obsession started. (I didn't start to read LotR until after I'd seen the films.)

Please just ignore the crazy lady in the corner
#963 Old 08-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idhreneth View Post

I believe I belong here .

(For those of you who know me.... my knowledge of Harry Potter (books-wise) far exceeds my knowledge of Tolkien.... I know! Shock horror! )

Anyhoo....

I should probably make this clear. I hate the films. Cannot stand them. However, since DH was published I've started getting into the films big-time. I own all of them that have been released and I will be there for the first showing of DH part 1 at my local cinema. I still hate the films, I think they're rubbish but I'm not ready to let go of the Harry Potter excitement just yet. Harry Potter has been with me since July 2007 (so I would have been 6 years old? ). It's been a part of my childhood, the excitement and build-up to the release of the next book. Now that's over! So even though I know I will be disappointed in the films, I still have to join in with the hype of a new release and go see them because I'm not ready to let go of it just yet. Part 1 of DH I will be going to see as soon as it comes out. I will probably have to delay DH part 2 until I'm ready. I know full well that at the end of DH part 2 I will be in floods of tears. Not because of what I will have just seen, but because that's it. It's over. I will probably have to be carried out of the cinema (where I might go to see it.. not sure if I'm going to wait until the DVD release just to give me more time until that inevitable moment.)

I know, I know, I'm being silly. But it really has been such a massive part of my childhood and I can't let go of it yet. Oh and another thing... Again those of you who know me will understand this more, but it is because of Harry Potter that I discovered Tolkien. No seriously. When we went to the cinema to see Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, the trailer for Fellowship of the Ring was shown. I told my mother that I wanted to go see that as well and from that my Tolkien-obsession started. (I didn't start to read LotR until after I'd seen the films.)

Please just ignore the crazy lady in the corner

Wait, July 2007 was 3 years and 2 months ago. You're 9?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#964 Old 08-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Wait, July 2007 was 3 years and 2 months ago. You're 9?

Mentally, most likely...

It's a typo! And now you've quoted me and my mistake is there for all the world to see forever now!
#965 Old 08-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Annie, I believe you meant July 1997, not 2007.

I have to confess I've been a little disappointed with the films. I know they can't fit everything in the books into the films, but leaving out Peeves the Poltergeist was especially upsetting to me since he's one of my favorite characters, and he actually figured a bit in the wonderfully climatic part of OOTP, which got severely truncated in the film version anyway.

OTOH, there were certain scenes in the books that I found hard to imagine by just reading them, so seeing them played out in the films helped me a lot. And of course I would LOVE to visit the HP theme park in Florida since it more or less fulfills the fantasies of a lot of HP fans of actually BEING in Hogwarts and Hogsmeade and seeing all the magic happening in front of them, and not just on a movie screen.

side note: I use a spellchecker for my VB posts, and Hogwarts and Hogsmeade were not in the dictionary. They are now.

*this space not for sale*
#966 Old 08-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

bwuahaha Brandon and I caught the typo at the same time.

#967 Old 08-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Banned

I hate you guys
#968 Old 08-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

That's too bad because

#969 Old 08-19-2010, 01:34 AM
Banned

Every time I read Goblet of Fire or onwards, I wonder why the hell Hermione doesn't become a vegetarian. She keeps on about house elf rights and not treating 'lower' creatures as inferior, whilst munching on a roast dinner. Come on JK Rowling, make the logical jump!
#970 Old 08-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Every time I read Goblet of Fire or onwards, I wonder why the hell Hermione doesn't become a vegetarian. She keeps on about house elf rights and not treating 'lower' creatures as inferior, whilst munching on a roast dinner. Come on JK Rowling, make the logical jump!

That's what I always think, too. In my mind, she's actually vegan. Which goes to show how very much I really do love HP, 'cause I those things take up space in my brain.

84 days until Deathly Hallows Part I, dudes!
#971 Old 08-27-2010, 04:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I have just discovered this thread for the first time.

I own all the Harry Potter books in a 7 book box set I bought after all of them were released. I got this set as I have been reading Harry Potter since the original one was released, and over the course my books were ruined, missing pages etc. So now I have the nice 7 book box set that I am going to cherise and keep in good shape. I have read each of the books more than once, but some of them up to 8 times.

I love the films, I always see them on opening day, and usually a few times at the cinema. I believe the films don't compare at all to the books but they are still fun.

I recently read a lot of spoilers for Deathly Hallows Part 1. I know I should have held back with reading them but I couldn't.... now I am more excited than ever for the next film!
#972 Old 08-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I admit I stopped reading at book 4 when I was about 13, 14. But i follow the movies and love them. Saw the trailer for Deathly Hallows Part 1 looks absolutely amazing. And November! It's so soon. Maybe one day I'll go back and reread and read the whole series. I really loved them I just lost interest/ got confused at the 4rth book and never got back to them.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#973 Old 08-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenKat View Post

I admit I stopped reading at book 4 when I was about 13, 14. But i follow the movies and love them. Saw the trailer for Deathly Hallows Part 1 looks absolutely amazing. And November! It's so soon. Maybe one day I'll go back and reread and read the whole series. I really loved them I just lost interest/ got confused at the 4rth book and never got back to them.

Oh, you have to go back and read the books. They're SO much better than the movies! The first couple of movies were good, but I think they went downhill quickly.

--Fromper
#974 Old 08-31-2010, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Is anyone going to see it in 3D? I definitely won't, but I must say I'm rather excited for the first part! But, just to be safe, I'm not going to read the seventh book for the next few months leading up to it, so I won't remember every little detail. Maybe I'll actually be able to enjoy this one!
#975 Old 08-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitlinann View Post

Is anyone going to see it in 3D? I definitely won't, but I must say I'm rather excited for the first part! But, just to be safe, I'm not going to read the seventh book for the next few months leading up to it, so I won't remember every little detail. Maybe I'll actually be able to enjoy this one!

That's what I do in every movie! I forget the book entirely and then the movie is pretty enjoyable...

Vegards,
Yen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
http://www.facebook.yenhowell.com

Twitter: @yenhowell
#976 Old 08-31-2010, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Haha I do the opposite. I always like to read the books right before the movies come out.
#977 Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I loved Harry Potter when he was younger, but honestly I think the series is getting a bit old now... as well as the character himself.
#978 Old 08-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:

I haven't decided about 3D yet but I wish I could do that with the whole not reading the book thing but that
won't work for me, I've read it too many times and know it too well
#979 Old 09-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Banned

I tried to watch the first movie but it was too boring to finish. I read some of the first book online and I would have liked it but the bad grammar and punctuation was irritating.
#980 Old 10-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/10/08...c3_lnk3|176847

Bravo to Warner Brothers for maintaining at least a little bit of integrity, instead of rushing out a 3D version just to make money.

#981 Old 10-31-2010, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, fans. Here it is for your viewing pleasure - the release schedule for Deathly Hallows, part one:

Country\tDate
Belgium \t17 November 2010 \t
Egypt \t17 November 2010 \t
Germany \t17 November 2010 \t
Netherlands 17 November 2010 \t
Argentina \t18 November 2010 \t
Australia \t18 November 2010 \t
Croatia \t18 November 2010 \t
Czech Republic 18 November 2010 \t
Denmark \t18 November 2010 \t
Greece \t18 November 2010 \t
Kazakhstan 18 November 2010 \t
Malaysia \t18 November 2010 \t
New Zealand 18 November 2010 \t
Peru \t 18 November 2010 \t
Portugal \t18 November 2010 \t
Puerto Rico 18 November 2010 \t
Russia \t18 November 2010 \t
Singapore \t18 November 2010 \t
Slovakia \t18 November 2010 \t
Sweden \t18 November 2010 \t
Switzerland 18 November 2010 (German speaking region)
Brazil \t19 November 2010 \t
Canada \t19 November 2010 \t
Estonia \t19 November 2010 \t
Finland \t19 November 2010 \t
Iceland \t19 November 2010 \t
India \t 19 November 2010 \t
Italy \t 19 November 2010 \t
Latvia \t19 November 2010 \t
Lithuania \t19 November 2010 \t
Mexico \t19 November 2010 \t
Norway \t19 November 2010 \t
Poland \t19 November 2010 \t
Spain \t19 November 2010 \t
Taiwan \t19 November 2010 \t
UK \t 19 November 2010 \t
USA \t 19 November 2010 \t
France \t24 November 2010 \t
Hungary \t25 November 2010 \t
Bulgaria \t26 November 2010 \t
South Africa 26 November 2010 \t
Japan \t27 November 2010 \t
Hong Kong \t16 December 2010 \t
South Korea 16 December 2010

#982 Old 11-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't read the first 6 books since the 6th one was published (5? years ago), which is when I read them originally, and I read Deathly Hallows when it first came out. So it's been a while, and to refresh my memory before seeing the Deathly Hallows movies, I decided to re-read the series, and watch the movie of each one right after reading it, for the sake of comparison. I'm not done yet, but I just watched the Order of the Phoenix movie, and I decided to post a comparison here, mostly as a way to vent about that movie.

So starting off, I think the first two movies did an excellent job. They didn't follow the books to the letter, but that's to be expected, and the mild differences between the books and movies were fine. No complaints at all.

The third book, Prisoner of Azkaban, is the most tightly scripted of the series, and I thought the movie did a pretty good job. I don't mind that they had to leave off a couple of details to keep it from getting too long, but there was one thing that really bugged me.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

The whole thing about "The Grim". It's like the makers of the movie didn't understand the novel. In the movie, we're actually shown an obvious outline of a dog in Harry's tea cup, and in the clouds during the stormy Quidditch match. In the book, it was Sirius disguised as a dog that he saw during Quidditch, and the tea leaf thing was just his teacher making stuff up. The whole point was that there was no such thing as "The Grim", so the inclusion of obvious dog shapes in the movie was exactly the opposite of what the book was going for. If they'd left the whole thing out for brevity, I wouldn't have minded so much, but including it in such a way as to point out their own lack of reading comprehension is just kinda embarrassing.

That brings us Goblet of Fire. That was the first really long book, so they obviously had to cut out quite a bit to fit it into the movie format. It was a little disappointing that they shortened certain things, not to mention leaving out the semi-important character of Winky the house elf altogether, but there was only one exclusion that really bugged me.

They really should have explained why Harry and Voldemort's wands interacted the way they did when they dueled in the graveyard. The fact that they both had cores from feathers of the same phoenix was already mentioned in the first movie, and it only would have taken them 20 seconds to say it again here. Given this fact's importance later on in the series, I was really surprised they left it out.

Other than those relatively minor screw ups, I thought the 3rd and 4th movies were pretty good, though not quite as good as the first 2 at living up to the novels.

That brings us to the 5th book and movie, Order of the Phoenix. I just can't believe how badly this movie butchered the novel. I can accept that they had to shorten it to keep the movie from going too long. For instance, leaving out some of the extra rooms in the Department of Mysteries wasn't that big a deal, and just lead to most of the action in the end taking place in the prophecy room.

But in a book that was very much about setting the mood, and long conversations and explanations, they intentionally had lots of quick edits to the action, leaving out the details that made the book so good. Re-reading this one so soon after re-reading the others, I also realized that this novel actually had more really funny moments than the earlier books, despite its fairly dark overall tone. Yet almost all of those great, funny lines were completely missing from the movie.

In a few places, they reversed the order of events on things, where the original order made more sense. For instance...

The book showed why Luna Lovegood was often called Looney before the scene where she tells Harry "You're as sane as I am". In the movie, the character opens with that line in her first 2 seconds on screen, before the audience realizes how weird she is, thus completely killing the comedic timing.

Also, the novel has Ron and Hermione talking Harry into leading the DA before the recruitment meeting, while the movie saves that conversation to take place during the recruitment meeting, with everyone else already there. That just doesn't make sense.

But the biggest blunders of the movie were things where they intentionally went against points that were carefully laid out in the novel. For instance...

When Fred and George quit school in the novel, it wasn't a sudden decision after an awful detention, as in the movie. They mentioned early on that they'd considered skipping their final year, long before they actually left. And when they did cause mass chaos before leaving in the novel, they intentionally did it in a way that didn't disturb their fellow students' serious studies or exams, leading Hermione to be surprised by their considerate attitude. In the movie, they left in the middle of O.W.L. exams, disrupting a major test.

And in the novel, it's carefully explained why all of the Order of the Phoenix members in the staff, except for Snape, are missing from Hogwarts at the time that Harry has his final vision. But Hagrid wasn't kicked out in the movie, and McGonagall wasn't injured and off campus, leaving no reason why Harry wouldn't have gone to them for help upon seeing the vision of Sirius being tortured by Voldemort.

In the novel, when Hermione lead Umbridge into the Dark Forest at the end, Harry expected her to lead them to Grawp, but she intentionally followed a different path, searching for the centaurs. In the movie, she did go straight to Grawp, who wasn't there at first, and the centaurs just happened to show up. Given that the centaurs had good reason to avoid the area around Grawp, as explained in the book, you'd think they wouldn't have been anywhere near there.

I expect to be similarly disappointed in the 6th movie. I don't remember the exact details now, but I do remember not liking the editing style of the 6th movie when I originally saw it, for exactly the same reason I didn't like that style in the 5th movie. Lots of quick cuts to the action, rather than taking the time to develop the setting and mood.

I haven't seen Deathly Hallows, part 1 yet, so I'm just hoping that they improved the style for that one, compared to the previous two movies. I plan to wait until I finish re-reading the book before seeing it, which will take me another week or two, so I'll still have time to catch it while it's still in theaters, while avoiding the big crowds of the first two weeks or so.

--Fromper
#983 Old 11-25-2010, 05:53 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

wow fromper, that's dedication. the biggest problem i had with book three vs movie was

they didn't explain that Lupin was mooney, padfoot was sirius etc, and that they became animagi to help Lupin during his werewolf times. and that they made the map.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#984 Old 05-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

For anyone who still cares, Deathly Hallows Part 2 is due to be released on July 15th.

That's the US release date. I haven't checked the release dates for anywhere else. If you live outside the US, you can go to www.imdb.com, open the movie's entry on that site, and click on "release dates" for the entire list.

#985 Old 05-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

It's released on 15th July in the UK too. I'm gonna leave my university graduation dinner early to go see it!

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#986 Old 05-30-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

For anyone who still cares, Deathly Hallows Part 2 is due to be released on July 15th.

That's the US release date. I haven't checked the release dates for anywhere else. If you live outside the US, you can go to www.imdb.com, open the movie's entry on that site, and click on "release dates" for the entire list.

sooo very excited
#987 Old 05-30-2011, 01:56 PM

Excited here too, but was a bit um, flummoxed when I saw the latest trailer, about a month? ago. It sure looks like they're going to f-up the end scenes with Harry and Voldemort. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlvcYjB0X7A. Part one was so very pleasing to fans of the books, so I'm hoping that they're going to stay true to the story with part two as well.

And oh man, am I going to need some Kleenex.....

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#988 Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

And oh man, am I going to need some Kleenex.....

me too.... will be bringing like a whole box with me lol.
#989 Old 06-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGoddess View Post

It's released on 15th July in the UK too. I'm gonna leave my university graduation dinner early to go see it!

That's fantastic!

My boyfriend and I will be going to a midnight showing. I have lazy eyes, so 3-D isn't really the optimal way for me to watch the film, but I love the energy at midnight showings. So effing excited!
#990 Old 07-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

The end of an era.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page