Judging Amy..daughter becomes vegetarian - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I just clicked on a new episode of Judging Amy and Amy's daughter(age 14) comes to the breakfast table wearing a Meat Is Murder t-shirt. The daughter pushed the meat off her plate and grabs a piece of toast and Amy, the mother, gets upset.

Amy: So you're a vegetarian now?

Lauren: Yep. We eat meat because we like it, not 'cause we have to. It's a cruel industry and it hurts animals.

Amy: Lauren, you can't just live on toast and gummy bears.

Gummmy bears? I wonder if the writers left that in to irk real vegetarians?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure how much research the writers did into vegetarianism, but they probably aren't aware of what goes into gummy bears and that vegetarians don't eat it for that reason.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 04-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know. It just seemed too convenient to say gummy bears as opposed to any other type of candy.

In another scene, Amy makes 'vegetarian' ravioli for her daughter and proudly proclaimed it had no meat in it. Alas, there was shrimp in the ravioli and her daughter stormed off. Amy shouts up the stairs, "But lots of vegetarians eat seafood". I just gotta think that there's a vegetarian writer for the show, trying to make a point or an ex-veggie who's poking some fun. Either way, it was fun to watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Heh..I saw just the beginning scene (twas watching the Amazing Race ) and had to laugh at the Grandma's comment "I think two heart attacks disqualifies me from this conversation". Lol.

Did the daughter remain a vegetarian in the end? They kinda tied it in with all the hair-dying, bellybutton piercing, etc.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 04-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Heh..I saw just the beginning scene (twas watching the Amazing Race ) and had to laugh at the Grandma's comment "I think two heart attacks disqualifies me from this conversation". Lol.

Did the daughter remain a vegetarian in the end? They kinda tied it in with all the hair-dying, bellybutton piercing, etc.

The daughter's new friend is a vegetarian and also has blue, spikey hair and a permanent sneer on her face so right off the bat she's a 'bad influence'. Lauren stayed veggie for the episode but I don't know if they'll carry it throughout the season. One of the last scenes had Lauren sneaking out of the house to go to her father's place and when she came back, she told her mother the just because people don't agree with everything she says doesn't make them wrong, just different. Whether that was the moral of the story for this week or is going to be an ongoing theme, we'll have to wait and see.
#6 Old 04-13-2005, 01:01 AM
Veggie Regular

So I wanna see it.Anyone know where I can download the episode?
#7 Old 04-13-2005, 01:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Just watched it (The west coast is 3 hours behind, remember).

Eh. Didn't care for it that much. I'm not a JA fan (disclaimer), so I thought Lauren's mother was a bit nasty about the whole thing. IMO she could at least have TRIED to be a bit more understanding, considering how "shocked" she was when she learned that the mother who got beat up by her son killed her son's dog.

#8 Old 04-13-2005, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular

It will be interesting to hear if she stays vegetarian and if so, if they writers somehow paint the character as defective.

That seems to be the pattern on television with characters who don't fit the norm.

The writers have to make them less threatening is some way, so they usually write them in as defective people somehow, not as people who are different, cool, and holding their own.

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#9 Old 04-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

The clip from next week's show talked about the daughter hanging out with a bad crowd...
#10 Old 04-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

The clip from next week's show talked about the daughter hanging out with a bad crowd...

That Baddd Vegetarian crowd...
#11 Old 04-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

God, Amy is a horrible mother. I couldn't believe how rude she was to her daughter's friend. Mind you, she can't even manage to treat her own daughter with respect.

I watched it with my mom and it made me so grateful to have such a wonderful mom!
#12 Old 04-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, Amy's not the greatest mom, is she? I used to like the show more but Amy's gotten weird. I mostly watch it for Tyne Daly. I love her!
#13 Old 04-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyCat View Post

One of the last scenes had Lauren sneaking out of the house to go to her father's place and when she came back, she told her mother the just because people don't agree with everything she says doesn't make them wrong, just different.

*cough*Simpsons*cough*

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#14 Old 04-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

The write-ups are coming from omnis. Next week we find she's hanging out with straight-edgers, whos rough appearance make Amy nervous. Amy has always been demonstrated to be a fallible, complex human being, so this is probably another way of showing that. I like that the issue is not being treated too black and white. Of course, it's CBS, so it's still being handled somewhat heavy-handed.
#15 Old 04-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Ahhh, that explains it then. Why don't you head on over to CBS, epski, and give them a hand at writing it the way it really is?

Btw, haven't seen you in a while. Good to have you back.
#16 Old 04-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know...Amy's actions made me mad but at the same time, she is just doesn't understand things and needs time to adjust. Sure, she made the ravioli with shrimp but she was trying to be understanding (she was just misinformed - which isn't surprising considering how many people ask me if I eat fish).

And yes, I realise that this is just tv.
#17 Old 04-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, Amy is struggling and I think she's portraying the typical reaction of most parents. I guess I'm just used to seeing perfect parents portrayed on tv.
#18 Old 04-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Banned

I can buy lots of gummy bears that are vegan. Perhaps the kid bought the same brands I do
#19 Old 04-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Molly,

I'm trying. It's tough fitting so much into one life!
#20 Old 04-18-2005, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Apparantly Amy can't judge the difference between what is an animal and what isn't.
#21 Old 04-18-2005, 07:09 AM

Gummy bears are not animals. Most people have no idea that candy can contain pig skin.. Amy is just being most people.
#22 Old 05-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I just learned that CBS has officially cancelled Judging Amy. I'm not really a fan, but I know some people here are. So whatever was left hanging won't be resolved.

CBS has also cancelled one of my favorite shows, Joan of Arcadia.

#23 Old 05-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah, boo. I was going to post the same thing (about Judging Amy). JofA's ratings were steadily declining this entire season. Oh, well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page