Viewer sues over 'Fear Factor' rat episode - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-07-2005, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Geez.

Quote:
A viewer is suing NBC for $2.5 million, contending that he threw up because of a Fear Factor episode in which contestants ate rats mixed in a blender.

Austin Aitken told The Associated Press he watches Fear Factor often and had no problem with past installments where the reality show's participants ate worms and insects in pursuit of a $50,000 prize but eating rats went "too far."

Full story...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...-lawsuit_x.htm

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-08-2005, 01:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Taken out of context, the part you put up makes him look pretty ridiculous. This segment makes him seem less so:

"Aitken, a 49-year-old part-time paralegal, said he wants to send a message to NBC and other networks with the lawsuit. He said he isn't concerned with winning a cash judgment in court.

"I just put any figure. You really think I expect to get $2.5 million?" he said. "
#3 Old 01-08-2005, 01:29 AM
Administrator

It's still stupid. He watches the show.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-08-2005, 08:03 AM

I don't think it's stupid at all. He's obviously trying to make a difference by getting them to stop this disgusting stuff on that show or at least curtail it. Like he said, he's trying to send them a message.
#5 Old 01-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Administrator

It would be easier to buy into the "trying to make a difference" bit if he weren't a regular viewer of the show. Anyone who watches that show, and most that don't, are aware of what kind of "stunts" they do.

And besides, consumers should decide this type of thing. By choosing whether or not to support the sponsors or watch the program - this shouldn't be tying up our courts and wasting our tax dollars.

#6 Old 01-08-2005, 08:09 AM

Maybe he likes the other stunts in the show and is sick of seeing the eating stunts. Personally, I would watch it if they cut out the eating stunts.
#7 Old 01-08-2005, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Well gee, I like the sex scenes on Cinemax but not all the rest of the garbage. Maybe when all the blood rushes to my penis and there's a non-sex scene on and I stand up and get woozy and hit my head on a door I'll sue Cinemax.

Just because someone likes or doesn't like something that's on television doesn't give them the right to file a frivolous lawsuit. If it doesn't violate a law and he wasn't legitimately injured then it should be thrown out and IMO he should be forced to pay court costs.

#8 Old 01-08-2005, 08:14 AM

He has the right to file any lawsuit he wants. Or is this not the land of the free anymore?
#9 Old 01-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Administrator

I should be free from having my tax dollars going toward this kind of lawsuit. Legitimate victims of actual crime should be free from having their courts tied up with lawsuits like this. The court should feel free to charge him court costs when there is no law being violated and he admits that he hasn't suffered a legitimate injury.

#10 Old 01-08-2005, 08:18 AM

There's lots of frivilous lawsuits out there. It is unfortunate, but that's the price we pay for living here.
#11 Old 01-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

They Put Rats In A Blender??????????????????
#12 Old 01-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm with Descentia. What the hell? How are they allowed to do this?
#13 Old 01-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Did anyone see this on TV? I haven't heard anything about it. How could they get away with putting RATS in blenders?
#14 Old 01-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Administrator

They're not alive. Really, how is it different from any other cooking show?

#15 Old 01-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

"Gross" is the point of the show. And he had the choice of not doing it. boo hoo. I agree with Michael, wasted tax dollars on complete stupidity.
#16 Old 01-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Administrator

He didn't actually do it. He watched it on TV. If he had actually done it I could see a tad more merit in the lawsuit but not when he only watched it and he had been a regular viewer of the program.

#17 Old 01-09-2005, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Haha, he's suing because he WATCHED an episode?? Wow. 2.5 million for throwing up. Poor guy. I wouldn't have $2.5 million worth of sympathy for someone who was flipping through the channels and caught that therefore i have no sympathy for a regular viewer of that retarded show who should've known what to expect. The fact that he IS a regular viewer of Fear Factor shows how retarded this guy is.

boo-effen-hoo.
#18 Old 01-09-2005, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descentia View Post

Did anyone see this on TV? I haven't heard anything about it. How could they get away with putting RATS in blenders?

it was really gross. my mom started screaming and turned it off.
#19 Old 01-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

LIke Michael said, how is it different than any other cooking show? Should i be able to sue Emeril for "bamming" a chicken carcass with some garlic and slow cooking it in an oven and then eating it?

Or a more relevant comparison, should i be able to sue Wok With Yan for putting shrimp in a blender and making dumplings out of them?
#20 Old 01-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

1. The suit will likely get thrown out.

2. Why is putting rats in a blender considered gross, but throwing a hunk of cow on a grill and burning it is considered simply "cooking"?

3. Don't ever admit to agreeing with Tame, even if you do. We all suffer afterwards.

*this space not for sale*
#21 Old 01-10-2005, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

They're not alive. Really, how is it different from any other cooking show?

Okay, that's a little better then. I was thinking they were alive. They have people eat live worms, right? Doesn't seem too weird for a show like that to do other odd things like blenderize live rats.

If Iron Chef ever has rats as their secret ingredient, I'll turn off the tv.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page