nihon bunka ga daisuki da yo! (japanese culture enthusiasts thread) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

so i was thinking of starting this anyway, and then linzey suggested it too so i was like hey, why not.. i know we aren't the only two on the board who would get something out of this thread *waits for ceryna to come running*

basically, it's just a place for us enthusiasts of anything japanese -- anime/manga, dorama, ongaku (music), nihongo (japanese language), etc... whee! (if this is in the wrong place, then move it -- this was the best place i could think of)

so, i'm really big on a lot of japanese bands. my favorite being kuroyume, followed by sads (same vocalist, kiyoharu, who i adore -- he's also put out some solo stuff which is also amazing.. from the one song i've heard ). also, in no particular order, dir en grey, plastic tree, l'arc~en~ciel (ugh, i've got to admit it...), aliene ma'riage, noir fleurir, missalina rei, and loads more (including some cheesy pop groups/singers that have made special places in my heart ). i like a lot of anime/manga -- angel sanctuary, juvenile orion, escaflowne, fushigi yuugi, bishoujo senshi sailormoon, gravitation, to name a few (a few?!).

and, as might follow naturally, i'm studying the language as well -- class starts up in a couple weeks! it'll be nice to be in a class setting instead of just learning it on my own.

so.. anyone else? just say what you want, even if it's just 'mayuko no baka'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Mayuko-chan wa tottemo kawaii desu. ^^

I think everyone here knows that I'm a total fanatic about Japan. So I don't really have to add anything.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#3 Old 01-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Before I got a job and stuff, I had much potentential to be a major fan girl.

Stupid job.

Anyways, I enjoy anime and mange of various types, draw alot of anime/amge influened...things and like to learning the language and customs. (I can speak some basic conversational Japanese)

My mom made me a kimono for Halloweeen one year and I wore it to school for culture day. It was was hawt, lemme tell you.

My BF is a rather rabid anime and J-Pop fan as well.

It's great

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Beginner

If you are a Japanese enthusiast you HAVE to read the following books:

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Shogun by James Clavell

You have to read them! they rock!
#5 Old 01-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

i *adore* memoirs of a geisha

i also *adore* kiyoharu's solo cd -- after hearing 'aurora' i had to go and find the whole thing, and it's just amazing (as would be expected). anyone on this thread, especially if they're fans of kuroyume and/or sads, should look into hearing it some time
#6 Old 01-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

HystericGlamour: I will definitely read those after I get though all my other homework. Incentive Woo hoo

Mayuko: I will download some songs by those bands when Piolet stops acting up (i.e. tomorrow...lol)

Ceryna...yes, I conceed. Mayuko is cute I love her avatar

As for me, I'm going to take some digestive enzymes, because "tabe sugite ugokenai"...or (I feel like) I ate so much and can't move.

Ugh. Stupid stomach.

Anyway, has anyone here watched Jiatsu Circle, or Battle Royale/2? I tend to have a love for creepy Japanese films...horror/ black comedy. Any other rec's?

-Linz
#7 Old 01-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

SilverC was just telling me about Jiatsu Circle a few hours ago, I haven't seen it...and horror/gore isn't really my scene. I'm more of an anime/dorama/jpop type. I did like The Ring, though...the original Japanese, not the American ripoff.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#8 Old 01-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Zatoichi, anything with Takeshi Kitano really, including Takeshi's Castle/aka Most Extreme Elimination Challenge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzey View Post

Anyway, has anyone here watched Jiatsu Circle, or Battle Royale/2? I tend to have a love for creepy Japanese films...horror/ black comedy. Any other rec's?

2LDK (roommate deathmatch) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362387/

Takashi Miike stuff might suit you too.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#9 Old 01-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Otomik - thank you

I'll look into those when I have some free time...ahhh..so much to do!

Guys...I'm taking Japanese, and our sensei is TOUGH. I mean really tough. Most (3/4's?) are failing...I think I have a low B which is one of the highest grades. But I need any study advice/ Japanese tutorial sites to help with learning it? We go FAST and emphasis is on writing kanji (and of course hiragana and katakana), and also speaking. And general cultural info. Like a very packed course.

Can anyone be my online tutor? Arigato gozaimasu.

-Linzey
#10 Old 01-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

i'd offer to be your online tutor but i suck! XD

and besides, online tutoring for writing kanji sounds... difficult, to put it lightly

i think it was kanjimaster.com that i used when i was studying on my own to learn to write... i was checking out japanese-online.com and they have some lessons there. the site i used to use (maktos.com, i think?) was defunct last i went there boo. i've been reviewing like CRAZY because i'm so afraid i'm gonna suck big time when classes start in a couple weeks -- a classroom setting seems like it will be so much more intimidating than learning it on my own, even though i'll probably learn more in the classroom. ahhhhh!
#11 Old 01-09-2005, 02:02 AM

um...I like Shoen Knife, 5.6.7.8s and The Pillows.

does that count? :P
#12 Old 01-09-2005, 02:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I just discovered that icebergradio.com has a station called Made In Japan. It's not all jpop or jrock...it seems pretty eclectic. Maybe I'll get to hear some new stuff.

I started a new dorama last night called Kimi Wa Petto. It's probably more of a comedy than a drama, but it's pretty good, and it has the yumtastic Matsumoto Jun in it.

#13 Old 01-09-2005, 03:17 AM
Veggie Regular

i've only ever seen one dorama -- love revolution oh it was wonderful. and having 'kiss of life' by hirai ken as the opening theme didn't hurt

i'll definitely have to check out that radio dealy there! my current way of hearing new stuff is on tv -- on the international channel, they play this show popjapan.tv which is just videos hosted by this adorable vj dude. it's good stuff. though i think i probably wouldn't have continued watching it if it weren't for the fact that on the first episode i watched they played 'home sweet home' by yuki -- good lord i adore her ^_^
#14 Old 01-09-2005, 03:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't have the links with me here at work, but I'll PM you when I get home with the links to the sites where I download doramas. I've been really getting into them lately, partially because I am safe from heartbreak - they won't ever get licensed and ruined the way many anime are/have been.

#15 Old 01-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^cool

so um, that kiyoharu fellow i'm often babbling about? apparently there's this manga series called the wallflower/perfect girl evolution/yamato nadeshiko something-or-other and the mangaka is WAY more of an obsessed fangirl of his than i could ever be! i've not yet read it (i'm bit torrenting the first volume now because i'm a bad girl) but i guess she references him a lot (like a character saying "kiyoharu is god!") and the main character looks exactly like him... it's kind of cute, actually i'm excited to be able to read it. i needed a new manga series to get into, and this is as good a reason as any to get into one! XD
#16 Old 01-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I would be way more into anime if I had money to buy DVDs and stuff

And mayu's going to about slaughter me for saying this... but I've never listened to Japanese music.
#17 Old 01-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

no slaughtering here dear -- a lot of people haven't

what i will do is insist you go to my lj and look for the entry where i uploaded some stuff for my friend and check it out!

nah.. it's a huge file.. like 122 mb because it's 16 songs.. i was considering starting up a j-rock/j-pop mp3 rotation site (because there aren't like zillions of those already or anything ).. hmm.. i just might do that. once i stop being so lazy about, oh, everything
#18 Old 01-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I was going to say Jen, I'm on dial up, it might take 8 years to download.

Nah, I'm sure if/when I come visit you I could listen to some As long as it's not like Euro-pop or anything...
#19 Old 01-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

ewwww, euro-pop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page