Phantom of the Opera - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-23-2004, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

http://phantomthemovie.warnerbros.com/

I was apprehensive at first because I was afraid they'd ruin my beloved musical. But the previews have me excited. *bounces* I can't wait to see it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-23-2004, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Me too! Me too!
#3 Old 12-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Banned

From the reviews I've read, it depends on whether you love or hate Webber. An entertaining interview from a Webber hater can be found here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/22/mo...er=rssuserland

(NYT free registration required, yadda, yadda, yadda.)

I'll probably go see this one out of my compulsion to see musicals, even though I'm not a big Webber fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I watched a program, the making of it, it looks excellent i have to admit, and the music is breathtaking.
#5 Old 12-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Hoping to go see it on Monday or Tuesday. It looks great. Just one teeny squibble so far: I think the guy who plays the Phantom is way too young.
#6 Old 12-23-2004, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

From the reviews I've read, it depends on whether you love or hate Webber.

That seems to be the consensus after reading several reviews. The movie is supposed to be pretty faithful to the stage musical, which is what I was hoping for.
#7 Old 12-23-2004, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

It is Webber and Schuhmaker so it should rock! I think the phantom is sooooo sexy!
#8 Old 12-24-2004, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't wait to see it, personally. I've always loved the story of the Phantom of the Opera... I just hope they don't ruin it! But as was said before, the previews look promising!
#9 Old 12-24-2004, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I hate Webber, but can tolerate Phantom much more than some of his others and will probably end up seeing it.
#10 Old 12-24-2004, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the Phantom casting was horrible.

Might decide to see it simply because of the magnificent sets, which I'm told steal the scene from the leads throughout much of the film.

I doubt it will be the romantically haunting experience it was for me the 3 times I saw it at the theatre...
#11 Old 12-26-2004, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never seen a production of this, and i'm not a veteran fan or anything so i have no point of reference or anything but i think it looks like it will be a good film, full of beautiful imagery.
#12 Old 12-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I am looking forward to watching it. I've wanted to see the play for a long time, but I've never had the money to make it worth my while. The good seats are usually $80-120. Having watched plays in the cheap section before, I can firmly say that it's not worth my money watching some blurry shapes move about far below me, so I will not go see any play in a large performance hall unless I can afford the best seats.
#13 Old 01-01-2005, 05:49 PM

wow... phantom w/out s.brightman... hmmm... to see it or not to see it... tough call...
#14 Old 01-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

That's actually a huge plus for me, as I hate Sarah Brightman.
#15 Old 01-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree, Silver! the young girl playing the part (don't know her name) is supposed to be AMAZING...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#16 Old 01-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverC View Post

That's actually a huge plus for me, as I hate Sarah Brightman.

U so crazy! I like her!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#17 Old 01-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw the movie this past week. I was disappointed by the casting of the Phantom and Christine. They both seemed to struggle through a good bit of the singing- especially him. I didn't find him very seductive, and therefore didn't feel very bad for him. I think it was his voice that un-seduced me. I thought Raoul was perfect- good actor, good looks, sang very well, but didn't 'over-sing'. I thought they sexed up Christine a bit too much. There's no way anyone would ever see her stockings, circa 1870, let lone her lace panties through a see through lace skirt with a slit the whole way up to her hoo-ha. I didn't take any offense to the heaving bosoms gallore, because I think that's time period-appropriate.

There were some things that were done very well, and worked better in the film format than on stage, like the chandelier incident. But other things were just off. The thing that bugged me the most was when the music was out of sync with their mouths.

All in all, I enjoyed it. If you loved the musical, definitely go see this. Once upon a time I loved the musical. I saw it twice in Toronto. It's what inspired me to become an opera singer, even though I know it's not an opera and it's not very realistic, it piqued my interest.
#18 Old 01-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

April, I couldn't feel pity for this phantom, either. Gerard Butler is too young and handsome for the role. The character is supposed to be an older father figure with an intimidating presence, and I don't think the actor pulled that off. Emmy Rossum was surprisingly good as Christine. She's only 18 years old, and Christine's part is not easy to sing. Overall, I loved it!
#19 Old 01-06-2005, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Next, they're making RENT into a movie.

I'm really not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, it'll be nice to be able to share RENT with my family and with friends who wouldn't pay to see the stage show (or won't get tickets in time or whatever. It comes here for two days a year at most)

But on the other hand, RENT could potentially lose so incredibly much in the translation. It's MEANT to be set on an abstract set with christmas lights and scaffolding... they're supposed to be REPRESENTATIVE of places. they're not supposed to actually LOOK LIKE the places. It would be like making CATS into an actual movie (rather than a film of the stage show) But yeah. that was a big hijack.

I plan on seeing Phantom the second I get back to school (when I'm no longer grounded) and I'm excited beyond reason.
#20 Old 01-06-2005, 08:45 PM

I personally can't wait to see Phantom. It looks sooo good. And, as mentioned before, i pray they don't ruin it
#21 Old 01-11-2005, 02:53 AM
Banned

I saw it last weekend (never seen the stage version, read 5 pages of the novel)...... I loved it; I can't wait to see it again.

I've also restarted reading the novel, and gotten copies of all my mother's CDs/LPs (she's a big Phantom and Michael Crawford (Some Mothers do 'ave them) fan).
#22 Old 01-17-2005, 07:55 PM

I saw the movie this weekend and it was AWESOME! I absolutely loved it, even if it did leave me with that bittersweet feeling at the end. (yes, I cried )
#23 Old 01-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw it a few days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by April View Post

The thing that bugged me the most was when the music was out of sync with their mouths.

YES! That bugged me to no end. I thought the sound system might actually be a little out of sync in the theatre because so much of the timing was off and I thought they wouldn't release the movie with it still so obvious, you know?

I thought the phantom was too young and handsome too. And the makeup job was just laughable. I mean, he's got this teeeeeeennny little mask that covers a sliver of his face, and you can see all around his perfect eye and everything... and then he makes a few appearences with an even teenier mask so the audience (or me and everyone I've talked to) is thinking, "gosh. What does he have, a papercut on his forehead?" because the majority of his face has been visible at one time or another. And then, suddenly, they show his face and half his hair is missing and his eye is all hanging out and stuff. But only in some shots! In others, he looks like a little lotion would fix him right up.

I also didn't like the hair. Lots of it looked very low-budget stage-production to me. Meg's hair was pretty, but looked absolutely fake. The bangs and the way it draped around her ears and the part on top and such- The wig I used to wear (long story. PM me if you don't already know it and would lie to) was basically the same haircut. I looked at that thing every day. I know what a wig looks like. Christing had the Elaine-from-Seinfeld hair-cliff thing going on. where there was forehead and then suddenly, A WALL OF HAIR! which just bugged me.

I also didn't like most of the weird camera work. The funky fades and the ghosty-looking transparent singing Christines (I know there's a word for this. I can't remember what it is though) and the fake-looking fog being piped in from offscreen

Overall, though, I love the show. So I will probably see the movie again and possibly buy it when it's available. I love the music (the guitars! the guitars!) and I thought the girl playing Christine had a lovely voice.

There were a few parts where they'd speak lines that were previously sung. I'm not sure if I liked that or not. On one hand, some lines just made sense as spoken lines. On the toher hand, I'm way too familiar with the music so when they'd be speaking certain lines, I'd be singing them in my head. talk about annoying. geeze.

But... yeah. I still love the show even if I was slightly disappointed with parts of the movie.
#24 Old 01-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I hated it.

I've never seen the Phantom of the Opera, so I went into it cold. I went because I loved all of the other modern musicals that have come out, such as Chicago. But this one, I hated it. Worst movie I've seen in a long time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page