World of Warcraft - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-23-2004, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, I know I can't be the only *coughgeekcough* on here playing World of Warcraft. I picked it up today when EB opened at 10AM and played until 2PM when I had to leave to go to work.

I played my undead warrior today, but I also have a night elf druid and a human rogue.

So?

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

my hubby bought it today. so i think my computer time in future will be limited .
#3 Old 11-23-2004, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I suppose I should put my server/char info here just in case.

Server: Stormrage (EST)

Chars:

Iyvi - Undead Warrior

Ailaura - Night Elf Druid

Reyna - Human Rogue

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

*coughgeekcough*

I kiiiinda wanna get this, but I know it would suck up all of my time. I'm too weak.
#5 Old 11-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I had to set the timer this afternoon to make sure I stopped playing in time to come to work, heh. It was worth it, though.

#6 Old 11-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

i am having such a struggle over whether or not to buy this. on one hand, i have been waiting for it for years and have been spending a lot of time browsing the forums out of game lust. on the other hand, i don't have any money and would have to put it on a credit card, and i'm afraid i would get sick of it like i did several other MMOs. eep.

i guess there's no harm in waiting a couple of days though, especially considering all the issues people are having with it right now.
#7 Old 11-24-2004, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I like WarCraft a lot, but I have no interest in WoW. Does that mean I have to turn in my geek card?
#8 Old 11-25-2004, 10:26 AM
Beginner

I'm a proud "geek" and will eventually allow myself to be hopelessly addicted to WoW!! I'm waiting for things to settle a bit first though, plus I have some problems with my internet and computer.. but soon, I will play!!
#9 Old 11-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm really conflicted on this. I've been waiting on this game since it was first announced over a year ago. But I played EQ for 3 years (quit in June) and after that experience I REALLY don't want to get addicted to another MMOG. Although I was able to still make good grades in college and hold a job while playing EQ, it sucked up my free time. I want to have other hobbies. Plus I'm going to be student teaching next semester and I don't even think I'll have time to work part-time, much less play games.

Anyway...my parents are still major EQ addicts and now they're playing EQ, EQ2, and WOW. I made a character on my mom's WOW account on Friday...a human priest. I only got her to level 6 but so far I really like the game

*ease of play for newbies. Unlike EQ you don't have to sit around guessing what to do. There are question marks pointing you to quest npcs. Newbie mobs are easy to kill and none in the immediate area are kill on sight. Once you get to level 4 you move on to more dangerous areas. EQ was very frustrating for me as a new player. WOW is just fun.

*quest system is awesome. Sure there are the normal collect/kill quests but there's also exploration quests. One of my quests involved finding an npc, healing and buffing him. I wasn't watching the experience bar at all. The whole time I played I was working on quests. This is promising.

*all the info you need is in game. In EQ you constantly had to go to spoiler site middle men to figure out where things were, what your spells did, what to do for a quest, etc. In WOW all the information is available on the screen. When you get the quest it tells you exactly what to do and gives you directions where to go--not just cryptic messages. It also tells you what the reward will be if you finish the quest. Also there's a map in the corner of the screen that shows you where you are.

*corpse retrieval is easy.

*rest system rewards casual play.

Problems:

*small servers. Since there are no zones they have to have many servers compared to EQ. So there aren't as many people on each server, and also you can't talk to or group with players on the opposing faction. It seems to me that this leads to a small pool of players you can group with, especially when the game starts to age and there's a larger stratification of levels.

*repetition. honestly I don't know how any MMOG can not be repetitive. I'm not interested in a repetitive, overly time-consuming experience like EQ. WOW has evaded this so far thorugh the quest system but maybe that too will get dull. I'm kind of hoping it gets boring though so then I won't want to buy it.
#10 Old 11-29-2004, 12:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I hate wow! my hubby has been playing it way too much. I want a turn on the computer darn it!
#11 Old 11-29-2004, 03:15 AM
Veggie Regular

silly me, saying i might not buy it!

of course i succumbed, and it has been devouring my time ever since. every waking moment has been devoted to WoW. i'm here right now because my server is down for daily maintenance. sad, i know.

i'm on stormreaver.
#12 Old 11-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

WOW is like crack only you don't have to go down a dark scary alley to buy it
#13 Old 11-29-2004, 07:58 PM
Pip
Veggie Regular

As soon as I upgrade my computer I'm going to get it. My boyfriend has it on his computer and is playing it nonstop.
#14 Old 12-03-2004, 05:13 AM
Veggie Regular

levels everyone?

currently 23 night elf priest.

seriously, you guys should get on stormreaver. it is the hotness.
#15 Old 12-03-2004, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH...WoW

Well I had been following it for 2 years and I played in the open beta a few weeks ago and it was a blast. Unfortunayl for the month during winter break i may be living at my parents house and I dont have a decent internet connection there So i figure its best nto to pay for a month when i am not going to play. But i asked my girlfriend to buy it for me for christmas. Arnt I the romantic. Anyway I FREAKING ROCKS.

I played EQ for 3 years and WoW is superior. It doesnt seem to be as "in depth" as it is tailored toward teh casual gamer and not that hardcore gamer. THe quest system is the best thing i have seen in any of the MMO's i have played. I would be interested to play EQ2 but i am to afraid of have EQ syndrom..."Oh sorry guys I cant go out with you I am in a group deep in (so and so) and if i cant leave the group or they will die." Yeah i wasted some time like that. This is why i love WoW. I can log on do a quest and get off and go do something else.

PvP all the way. It is sooooo much fun to be on a pvp server
#16 Old 12-04-2004, 03:37 AM

I havent bought WoW yet.

But damn I love W3. Undead & the Elves rock.
#17 Old 12-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

mikey, i have played eq off and on (as well as other MMOs) and never really liked it. i think the quest system in wow is what really did it for me. it plays like a singer player rpg but it is much more fun because of the mmo angle.

also i think it has the best pvp system of any mmo ever. i recommend that everyone get on a pvp server, even if you don't think you will want to pvp. i have never been interested in pvp before but it's so excellent in this game. and if you get on a pvp server and decide you don't want to pvp, most likely you won't be forced into it.
#18 Old 12-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's my updated server/char info.

Stormrage: Iyvi (Undead Warrior), Reyna (Human Rogue)

Feathermoon: Illyria (Human Mage)

Dalaran: Ailaura (Night Elf Druid)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page