Buy fahrenheit 911! DO IT!!! BUY IT NOW!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-19-2004, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know... It seems to me that in the absence of any attempt by Michael "I'm not doing it for attention" Moore to sacrifice some profit in order to deliver his "message" to a wider home audience, his motives just seem so Hollywood. Sure, the guy never purports to be the freaking blue collar messiah, but if you saw his 60 Minutes profile a few months ago, it's clear that he claims to be more of the "outsider" and more of an American Everyman than a Hollywood movie producer.

Seems to me that a movie that cost roughly $6mil. to make and grossed $119mil. before DVD release did alright for itself. So why the Hollywood pricetag on the DVD? Didn't pocket enough, Michael "Only 'Paid' Actor in the Film" Moore?

I suppose the DVD price has as much to do with the Weinsteins as it does with Moore, but still, there is no effort (that *I* have found) by Moore to distribute his message outside of traditional Hollywood channels and at a low/no cost, which is what I would expect to be the motive behind an actual liberal anti-Bush anti-neoCon message, especially at a time so close to the election (and I'm sure that was on the mind of Moore, et al. but likely only for the profit possibilities of striking while the iron is hot - who will care about an anti-Right message when they've won OR lost another four years).

And of course, that the Weinsteins bankrolled the film to begin with makes it clear (in my mind, at least) that this Moore is just a Hollywood-aspiring opportunist, and not the blue-collar spokesman and Everyman he pretends to be.

But hey that's just me. I'm also going to copy it from a Blockbuster copy, scratch the original, and mail a ripped copy to as many people as I think will care.*

*I'm not ACTUALLY going to do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't feel like finding the interview again, but actually, he's commented that he has absolutely no problem w/ people "pirating" the movie (he was asked his thoughts on people downloading it shortly after it came out in the theatre). In fact, the only thing he said "against" it (piracy) was that he didn't want people making copies and selling the copies, but he wanted the info to get out there, and he'd much rather have a ton of people downloading it and watching it then for it to be ignored.

I do agree that it would be nice if he pushed for lower pricing, or a showing on TV or something, but you hafta remember, he's working for someone else when he made the film. The trade-off for it showing up in a ton of theatres and making the money it did was that he doesn't have full control over distribution/rights.
#3 Old 10-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Administrator

I saw him on tv the other night saying he'd give whatever affiliates are running the anti-Kerry movie F/911 to run.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I doubt he had much control determining the price of the DVD.
#5 Old 10-19-2004, 09:04 PM

im with mikie. like he has control over that...
#6 Old 10-19-2004, 10:59 PM

Incidentally, if you caught the interview with Moore on NPR's Fresh Air, he said that his lifestyle hasn't changed much since his financial success, and mentioned that despite being nominally "wealthy" he donates large amounts of his money to causes he finds worthy and uses most of the rest towards his film projects. We don't have receipts to prove it, but he sounded sincere to me.

Attention-loving: yes. In it for the money: I doubt it.

Great interview, by the way.
#7 Old 10-20-2004, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular

A few months ago he caught a lot of heat for saying that he __personally___ did not have a problem if people "pirated" his DVD/Film.

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#8 Old 10-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know how much control he had over the exact price of the DVD. I said that I suspect it the price has much to do with the Executive Producers (Weinstein Bros.) as it does Michael Moore. However, in case he does have little-to-no control over such things, I suspect that he could have had more control, at the cost of access to a wider distribution channel. I think this is what Vlad is saying, above, not to steal you thunder, Vlad.

I don't know, I'm not Michael Moore. How much DID he compromise to gain a wider audience? Who knows? Only he does, perhaps. I'd like to see F-911 go to TV instead of DVD. I imagine if he cannot affect the price of the DVD, he can't "sell" or "give away" the airing rights, either. Anyway, I don't know that offering the airing rights to a network or cable channel which is predisposed to the opposite viewpoints as his movie is much to write home about. They're not going to air it, and he knows it. How about approaching a network that *will* air it? Has he done that? Not a rhetorical question - I don't know if he has. I imagine he doesn't have the right to do that, either. Why did he have to give up these rights? Again, I'm not in Michael Moore's head. I don't know.
#9 Old 10-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think Id want to be in Michael Moore's head. I haven't even seen this movie...why? I dislike Bush enough the way it is...I really don't need to be swayed by Moore...I've researched it, read what it is about online, talked to people who saw it and loved it, talked to people who saw it and disliked it and I am just not really that interested.

My second reason is that Moore drives me insane...and I can't stand the sound of his voice (which also echoes when I read his books because it feels as if he is YELLING AT ME!)

Third reason, Id rather watch Jet Li, quite frankly. So, when Hero comes out, I'll buy that instead.
#10 Old 10-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McReynolds View Post

Attention-loving: yes. In it for the money: I doubt it.

I suppose I'll agree to that. Wide distribution certainly put his name on the proverbial map. But I'm going to add "opportunistic" to the list of charges, too
#11 Old 10-20-2004, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

i have very mixed feelings about moore... I think how he arrives at some of his conclusions is stretching facts (to say the least), and I think he can be very manipulative on the emotional level.... but i also think we "need" him (or at least people like him) and I do generally agree w/ his conclusions (since I don't need to be convinced on an emotional level, his tactics in that area don't do much for me...) I don't think he necessarily lies, I just think he often drifts too far into the "commentary" sector. I do think that John Stewart and Al Franken accomplish more and are more "honest"... plus are just more entertaining.
#12 Old 10-21-2004, 03:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Buy fahrenheit 911! DO IT!!! BUY IT NOW!!!

I wonder if I'm the only one to react poorly to this sort of thing. When someone tells me that I must own or must watch some movie, I find it very very hard to actually do so. Maybe it's just a pet peeve of mine, and I'm extra cranky about it when it comes up. But all of the movies that I had to see just weren't that interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystmDwnGrl2 View Post

I haven't even seen this movie...why? I dislike Bush enough the way it is...I really don't need to be swayed by Moore...I've researched it, read what it is about online, talked to people who saw it and loved it, talked to people who saw it and disliked it and I am just not really that interested.

This sums it up very nicely for me.
#13 Old 10-21-2004, 08:22 PM

You could also watch it simply because it is a well-made documentary film, outside it's political content . . . unless you're not into documentaries, of course. As much as the movie is anti-Bush, it did win at Cannes after all.
#14 Old 10-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:

You could also watch it simply because it is a well-made documentary film, outside it's political content . . . unless you're not into documentaries, of course. As much as the movie is anti-Bush, it did win at Cannes after all.

BFD. A sock puppet show criticizing Bush would win at that cheese-eating monkey festival.
#15 Old 10-22-2004, 02:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

BFD. A sock puppet show criticizing Bush would win at that cheese-eating monkey festival.

I'm sure this means you have a few Cannes film awards under your belt, Tame?
#16 Old 10-22-2004, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

I'm sure this means you have a few Cannes film awards under your belt, Tame?

No, 'cause I didn't criticize Bush.
#17 Old 10-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My second reason is that Moore drives me insane...and I can't stand the sound of his voice (which also echoes when I read his books because it feels as if he is YELLING AT ME!)

i really like his twisted agenda but...ugh. me too. he's a big cry baby and gets on my nerves. oh well.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#18 Old 10-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah but with Moore, how much of a docudrama is it instead of documentary. I don't mind documentaries per say, but as I also stated Moore drives me NUTS. Also, just because it won an award at Cannes doesnt mean all that much to me.
#19 Old 10-22-2004, 07:28 PM

Quote:

Yeah but with Moore, how much of a docudrama is it instead of documentary. I don't mind documentaries per say, but as I also stated Moore drives me NUTS. Also, just because it won an award at Cannes doesnt mean all that much to me.

If Moore drives you nuts, then by all means, skip it. In all honesty, Fahrenheit is by far the least Michael Moore-ish Michael Moore documentary, especially the second half in which he pretty much shuts up and lets people speak for themselves. But hey, your call. I'm not on his payroll or anything!
#20 Old 10-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

When I got off the phone with my stepmother a while ago, she said they were going to watch it. Oh dear.
#21 Old 10-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

When I got off the phone with my stepmother a while ago, she said they were going to watch it. Oh dear.

Better get the medication.
#22 Old 10-23-2004, 12:23 PM

I'm not really a fan of Moore. I don't really like how he seems to try to make poeple look stupid, and how he's kind of "Look at me! I'm a good person!"-ish, you know? I watch his movies anyway, because he's a pretty funny guy and makes good movies. I'm just saying I wouldn't jump to the idea of getting to know him really well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page