• 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Emma JC
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Emma JC
  • 1 Post By Mr. H.

#1 Old 06-22-2017, 01:13 PM
Emma JC

"What the Health" now on Netflix

I haven't had a chance to watch this yet and am looking forward to doing so. Apparently a follow-up to Cowspiracy.

http://www.whatthehealthfilm.com/

Great that it is now on Netflix.

If anyone has seen it, let me know your thoughts.

ty, Emma JC
Mr. H. likes this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based
for the animals, for the environment and for health (plus it's delicious)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Find a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2017, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

I think everyone should see this movie, it was shocking.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 06-22-2017, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
I think everyone should see this movie, it was shocking.
Yep. The other parts didn't shock me as it was information that was already in other documentaries, etc. but learning who some of the sponsors were for health organizations made my jaw drop.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-23-2017, 12:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Yep. The other parts didn't shock me as it was information that was already in other documentaries, etc. but learning who some of the sponsors were for health organizations made my jaw drop.
Agree, that was very revealing.
Emma JC and Mr. H. like this.
#5 Old 06-23-2017, 05:37 PM

Also on YouTube!

Haven't finished it yet but pretty good so far...

...Have to admit though not a fan of the creator/presenter, Kip Anderson I believe, he comes off too 'snooty'.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#6 Old 06-25-2017, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

I'm watching this again on Netflix and the part that's blowing me away this time is that the Pizza Hut stuffed crust pizza was all part of a government program to get people to eat more cheese. I remember seeing those commercials and I think we even ordered one when I was a kid.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#7 Old 06-26-2017, 08:41 AM
Emma JC

Watched it last night with my honey and we were both very impressed. He was texting people while we were still viewing it.... lol

It seems to me to be a very good doc to recommend as it comes from the aspect of health and then still emphasizes the animals and the environment. The health aspect is how I came to a WFPB lifestyle and so that is approach is easiest for me to talk about to others. There were so many shocking parts and I think the part that shocked me the most was the head of the Diabetic Association and his reaction. Almost criminal when you consider how simple the answer can be.

I am challenging myself to recommend watching this to at least one person a day. Friends and family are a good start and I think it would be good to send it to the school boards, local politicians and politicians at all levels of governments. Teachers, doctors, nutritionists, basically anyone who has an impact on our lives, our children's lives... documentaries like this can definitely help to wake people up to the influence that "big" corporations have on our lives.

If anyone does the same and has any results, please do share them.

Emma JC

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based

Find a

#8 Old 06-29-2017, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I just saw this movie. And I thought it was wonderful. As good if not better than Cowspiracy. Sort of like Forks Over Knives but more interesting.

Kip is my new hero
Werewolf Girl and Emma JC like this.
#9 Old 06-29-2017, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

That wasn't new information for me. Can't remember where or when I first heard about it. But it was in the context of when the dairy people were empahaszing low fat items in response to public and government pressure - they couldn't just throw out the milk fats - so where could they put them?
Emma JC likes this.
#10 Old 07-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Emma JC

It is very interesting to watch the 'debunker' being debunked by great vegan youtube channels.

A drama doctor did a crazy video where he did nothing but show his ignorance of nutrition in general and whole food plant-based benefits in specific. He tried to diss Dr Barnard and others.

Fortunately a good number of the vegans have posted videos debunking his video and have included a video put out by Dr Garth Davis who was prevalent in the documentary.

Emma JC
Spudulika and Mr. H. like this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based

Find a

#11 Old 07-11-2017, 01:38 AM

They forgot to add that organic crop growers are fertilizing with processed poultry feathers from non-organic poultry processing plants. It is called "Feathermeal" and comes with all of the pharmaceuticals and residues from these nasty places. This is in widespread use. Contact your organic food store and complain. It is almost impossible to find organic fertilizer without this additive. It also has been approved by the USDA.....
Mr. H. likes this.
#12 Old 07-11-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma JC View Post
I haven't had a chance to watch this yet and am looking forward to doing so. Apparently a follow-up to Cowspiracy.

Great that it is now on Netflix.

If anyone has seen it, let me know your thoughts.

ty, Emma JC
This is what really made us decide to try not eating meat and dairy. My husband is having a harder time with it and is doing more of a vegetarian than vegan style, but my suppers are all vegan.

I have recommended lots of people to watch it now. And doubt every new health statement provided by the government. I am hopeful that I can be a nurse that is able to change the lives of others by non-medical ways of healing.
So what I am trying to say, this documentary really has impacted my life.
#13 Old 07-11-2017, 08:51 PM
Vegan since 1991

I enjoy these documentaries, but I see a problem with them, too. These documentaries sometimes imply that the government is uniformly evil - trying to fool and mislead people. I have not found this to be true; some government organizations help to promote vegetarian nutrition.

For example, the United States Department of Agriculture's dietary guidelines are fully accommodating of vegetarian / vegan diets. In 2015, the USDA replaced the "Meat Food Group" with the "Protein Food Group", which includes beans, soy foods, nuts, and seeds (as well as meat options): https://www.choosemyplate.gov/protein-foods. The USDA also has vegetarian nutrition webpages: https://www.choosemyplate.gov/protein-foods-vegetarian and https://www.choosemyplate.gov/tips-vegetarians. The USDA has also made soymilk part of the "Dairy Food Group": https://www.choosemyplate.gov/dairy . And, the USDA has a webpage about non-dairy calcium sources: https://www.choosemyplate.gov/dairy-calcium-sources . Other nations' health departments also approve of properly-planned vegetarian diets.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#14 Old 07-12-2017, 09:43 AM
Emma JC

That is great news to hear that some of the governmental organizations have come on board. Did these kind of documentaries help that to happen, maybe? I know that we watched Dr Esselstyn on PBS at least 5 years ago and Forks over Knives came out in 2011.

As you probably read I wrote a piece about Self Care vs Health Care and although there is some improvement, we know more than most, that if "prevention" and "lifestyle changes" was more a part of the conversation that there would not need to be this health crisis. No?

Emma JC
amduc1 likes this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based

Find a

#15 Old 07-15-2017, 07:13 AM

I just watched it now, and honestly, I was a bit sceptical, but this is always me when it comes to veganism and health. In my opinion, as long as you can live well as a vegan, which you obviously can, then I'm good. It just felt, I dunno, biased? I know everything is inherently biased, but for me, a good argument is when they take a look at both sides, both the pros and cons, and then weigh it up. But it felt like they just made this sweeping statement that you will get sick from simply eating animal products. It just feels like exaggeration, which is really annoying to me, because the vegan message doesn't need to be overblown! It's amazing as it is. It just makes veganism look bad when it doesn't need to be. Don't get me wrong, there were parts I did like, like its focus on corruption and thoughtfulness at times, but overall, it frustrated me that it comes across as manipulation through fear. Just my take on it.
silva and Mr. H. like this.
#16 Old 07-15-2017, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militia Ink View Post
I just watched it now, and honestly, I was a bit sceptical, but this is always me when it comes to veganism and health. In my opinion, as long as you can live well as a vegan, which you obviously can, then I'm good. It just felt, I dunno, biased? I know everything is inherently biased, but for me, a good argument is when they take a look at both sides, both the pros and cons, and then weigh it up. But it felt like they just made this sweeping statement that you will get sick from simply eating animal products. It just feels like exaggeration, which is really annoying to me, because the vegan message doesn't need to be overblown! It's amazing as it is. It just makes veganism look bad when it doesn't need to be. Don't get me wrong, there were parts I did like, like its focus on corruption and thoughtfulness at times, but overall, it frustrated me that it comes across as manipulation through fear. Just my take on it.
YES! This!

Just how many people does the total health-wfpb movement turn off? As if it isn't telling enough that people put taste and convenience first? If it were really meat or animal products that were the primary source of health problems I'd be all over promoting veganism as health based, but that's just not the case. The reality is that you can be completely ethically vegan and still eat oils, sugar, salt and a whole bunch of foods processed with things I don't even know- other than they;re vegan

I've had too many run ins with those vegans and their offering of 'yummy' vegan food that I wished had some Just Mayo to mix in, or could pick out some quinoa. I've been so disappointed to find a vegan restaurant that sold produce.

If we're so compassionate and passionate about keeping animals out of the human food chain we need to keep it both accessible and acceptable to everyone- not just those who lean orthorexic!

BTW, simply doing basic reading on vegan nutrition will guide you to healthy eating while supplementing B12 and suggestions to meal plans that mimic a prior omni diet.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#17 Old 07-15-2017, 08:59 AM
Emma JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
YES! This!

Just how many people does the total health-wfpb movement turn off? As if it isn't telling enough that people put taste and convenience first? If it were really meat or animal products that were the primary source of health problems I'd be all over promoting veganism as health based, but that's just not the case. The reality is that you can be completely ethically vegan and still eat oils, sugar, salt and a whole bunch of foods processed with things I don't even know- other than they;re vegan.
And that is maybe the point - the movie was not called "What the Vegan" it was "What the Health" and the research has shown how unhealthy a diet that is high in oils, excess sugars and salts, despite being vegan, can be.

My dad is 94 and has never eaten anything even remotely close to a vegan diet and only in his later years has suffered from heart issues, circulation issues, hip break and many other things. Would a different diet have changed these things? Mom died 10 years ago from the after effects of a triple bypass so she did live a long live and was healthy for much of it. Maybe it could have been longer and healthier?

IMO being ethically vegan is a wonderful thing and eating a whole food plant-based diet is also a wonderful thing. Each person can choose for themselves to be the best vegan or vegetarian or starchivore they can be.

Documentaries are important to present the facts of the food industry, 'big' everything, health facts etc to people who not already aware and so do have their place. We do not all have to agree on every aspect of any lifestyle and yet any level above a SAD lifestyle is a step in a better direction.

You may have a balanced view of oil and salts and sugars and yet so many people have bought into the concept being widely promoted that coconut oil and olive oil is healthy and that it should be slathered on everything and anything. Up until October of last year I thought that was correct and now that I have done the research I don't believe that anymore. We all come to different conclusions at different times and that is what makes the world a fascinating human experiment.

We also all have different caloric needs depending on activity levels and some people may be able to deal with higher levels of oils and sugars and salts and there are different needs at different times in life. I am over 50, spend too much time on my computer, and have a lifetime build up in my body of less healthy eating so it is more important for me to eat a cleaner diet. I have bought a couple of the vegan fake meats and yet when I look at the label on them and on any of the cheezes or mayos etc I just can't see incorporating them, into my meals, on a regular basis. I have no need to cook with oils, every day, and the simple whole food meals that we make are delicious.

"What the Health" in my opinion, is a great documentary that helps to raise awareness of health, the plight of the animals and the environment and was done in an interesting way to reach a wide audience. Kudos to them.

Emma JC

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based

Find a

#18 Old 07-15-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
YES! This!

Just how many people does the total health-wfpb movement turn off? As if it isn't telling enough that people put taste and convenience first? If it were really meat or animal products that were the primary source of health problems I'd be all over promoting veganism as health based, but that's just not the case. The reality is that you can be completely ethically vegan and still eat oils, sugar, salt and a whole bunch of foods processed with things I don't even know- other than they;re vegan

I've had too many run ins with those vegans and their offering of 'yummy' vegan food that I wished had some Just Mayo to mix in, or could pick out some quinoa. I've been so disappointed to find a vegan restaurant that sold produce.

If we're so compassionate and passionate about keeping animals out of the human food chain we need to keep it both accessible and acceptable to everyone- not just those who lean orthorexic!

BTW, simply doing basic reading on vegan nutrition will guide you to healthy eating while supplementing B12 and suggestions to meal plans that mimic a prior omni diet.
Yeah. I went vegan for probably equal parts health and animal rights reasons. And all the weird vegan health camps where confusing as hell. I eventually just did a basic vegan diet with foods that were simply not animal based. I was unfortunate to stumble across the raw and fruit based vegan groups first and that was a little bit disillusioning lol.
Emma JC likes this.
#19 Old 07-15-2017, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Although I agree that the US Government isn't evil, they are so firmly in the pockets of big pharma and big food. There is so much more that they could do. In fact, i would argue they are doing the very minimum amount. Even the good ones (Carter, Clinton, Obama, Gore) did just over the minimum.
#20 Old 07-15-2017, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with you but you know, does an anti-smoking documentary need to include the pros of smoking? does a anti-obesity documentary need to show the benefits of being fat??
#21 Old 07-15-2017, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H. View Post
I agree with you but you know, does an anti-smoking documentary need to include the pros of smoking? does a anti-obesity documentary need to show the benefits of being fat??
I'm not understanding what you're comparing? Do you mean documentaries on WFPB including the benefits of meat? Of course they wouldn't, no one expects that. I was just saying in general that a vegan diet can be as poor, as adequate, and even healthier than omni diets. Sometimes the popularity of WFPB promotion gives the impression that vegans have to go to extremes to eat better, that vegan processed foods or just eating oils and sugars while vegan is worse than eating meat

I think it's pretty different in different areas. In Cleveland ohio there is more of a movement towards WFPB, probably due to Dr Esselstyn. When I say I'm veg'n people are surprised I eat seitan and creamy things or have tortilla chips with my hummus
Mr. H. likes this.

#22 Old 07-15-2017, 03:30 PM
Emma JC

I am going to have to watch it again because I did not realize that oils and sugars were demonized to an 'extreme' extent or were portrayed as being worse than eating animal products. Because I am biased to agree that added oils and sugars aren't very healthy it may have skewed my perception. It could be possible that a vegan diet could be less healthy... it could also be possible that a WFPB diet could be less healthy... depending on what the person was consuming.

It is interesting that you consider WFPB to be extreme. I actually consider it the opposite because it is simple. Good fresh or frozen vegetables and fruits, beans, lentils, rice, potatoes, greens, nuts, seeds, whole grains, tofu, spices, pasta, amazing sauces and dressings and gravies... and that's just a short list. Keeping it simple keeps it less costly which keeps it more accessible to more people. Many people who eat SAD could not afford vegan processed foods on a regular basis and so presenting it in a way that makes it more visibly possible is a great service IMO.

And while we're talking about processed foods, there is this article on CNN today that is interesting and relevant only in that it talks about "processed foods" and the contaminants that they pick up along the way. It is also a good article to send to your friends who still consume cheese too.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/15/health...udy/index.html

This is a great discussion and an important one and it is good that we can have it in a civilized manner. We are all doing the best that we can, within the circumstances and locale that we find ourselves, and some day we may change our views to different ones because of amazing discussions like this.

Emma JC
Mr. H. likes this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based

Find a

#23 Old 07-15-2017, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

I think WFPB is the best diet for anyone! What I meant to get across is that is a sub set of the vegan diet, and I see it turning off people who would eat veg'n for ethics without being so concerned with health matters
I don't feel there's enough to say whether adding some wild caught fish, or organic free range animals to the diet is any less, and possibly more, healthy, so I think the label of "vegan" shouldn't be applied or assumed. It often is called vegan, without regard to non-food products.

WFPB can be a trigger for orthorexia. That is as real as other conditions that incur ocd. I was there as both a omni and a vegan and it's all consuming

I have yet to watch this doc, so I'm not at any point referring to that, only the more extreme views that follow.
I have worked with a man who after heart surgeries, diabetes, an emergency triple bypass that included Last Rites was given a new life with the Esselstyn diet. I've watched the aura of death leave him as he morphed into a svelte athletic man who chugs green drinks, shuns fat of all kinds, and runs marathons. I am a fan

#24 Old 07-15-2017, 04:48 PM
Emma JC

well said! and your signature sums it up so well - Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Changing any lifestyle to another can lead to an intense focus that could trigger OCD or orthoexia (thank you for making me aware of that term, I hadn't heard it before) and that is why forums like this are so helpful as it can help to act as a balance during these transitions. For me, watching documentaries, videos and youtubes and reading and now writing about it has helped me to allow our new eating style to become closer to being second nature, still a ways to go.

That is a great Esselstyn story, thank you for it!! I also love the many success stories on Dr McDougall's website and find them endlessly fascinating. I have only the story of my step daughter (or bonus daughter as she likes to call it) who, in just a few months, overcame her Crohn's symptoms and lost a lot of weight. I lost weight but didn't have any known health issues to overcome.

I would love to hear what you think of "What the Health" once you do have time to watch it.

Emma JC

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based

Find a

#25 Old 07-15-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I think WFPB is the best diet for anyone! What I meant to get across is that is a sub set of the vegan diet, and I see it turning off people who would eat veg'n for ethics without being so concerned with health matters
I don't feel there's enough to say whether adding some wild caught fish, or organic free range animals to the diet is any less, and possibly more, healthy, so I think the label of "vegan" shouldn't be applied or assumed. It often is called vegan, without regard to non-food products.

WFPB can be a trigger for orthorexia. That is as real as other conditions that incur ocd. I was there as both a omni and a vegan and it's all consuming

I have yet to watch this doc, so I'm not at any point referring to that, only the more extreme views that follow.
I have worked with a man who after heart surgeries, diabetes, an emergency triple bypass that included Last Rites was given a new life with the Esselstyn diet. I've watched the aura of death leave him as he morphed into a svelte athletic man who chugs green drinks, shuns fat of all kinds, and runs marathons. I am a fan
I'm mostly whole food. But i'm still confused about fat. How much fat should we eat? The high carb diet has me confused.
#26 Old 07-16-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridium View Post
I'm mostly whole food. But i'm still confused about fat. How much fat should we eat? The high carb diet has me confused.
Fat is quite a general term, since there are many types, but yeah, all these diets have me confused too! As a previous poster said, I try to stay away from such diets and eat wide and varied, as I too, also have a tendency to worry about perfection.
#27 Old 07-16-2017, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridium View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militia Ink View Post
Fat is quite a general term, since there are many types, but yeah, all these diets have me confused too! As a previous poster said, I try to stay away from such diets and eat wide and varied, as I too, also have a tendency to worry about perfection.
The only fats most people need to be concerned with are those found in animal meats and products. Plant sources of fat are always cholestrol free, even while having saturated fats, like coconut, avocado and nuts. For most people without heart disease, or there indicators, these can eaten in moderation. One handful of nuts a day, an avocado, some coconut creme or occasional use of oil. I don't know the RDA of fat, only that it is a bit more than what I normally get if I stay away from things like potatoe chips which I seem to have no control over!

Bottled oil is not needed and probably the source of where most people get too much fat. I use my cast iron skillet for everything. As long as it stays glossy black you don't need to add oil, or maybe just enough to rub on the bottom. Add food after preheating and use a little liquid to release and deglaze. You won't ever need to take it to the sink as long as only plant foods are used, only a wiping of oil

Those who do have heart disease have been found to respond to a diet that limits even whole food sources of fat--no tropical fruits, not even nuts or seeds-- The Esselstyn diet.
For most people fats are a necessary part of nutrition--and never go low fat for children
Iridium likes this.

#28 Old 07-16-2017, 09:57 AM
Emma JC

yes, as Silva says, the amounts vary from person to person dependent on their health, their weight, their age, their activity level and you should do the research on the different doctor sites that discuss it

Dr Greger as a number of research based videos and articles: https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/fat/

This is a webpage from Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine: http://www.pcrm.org/health/saturated-fat
and here is their webpage for children:
http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/veg...from-the-start

This is from Dr Esselstyn's website: http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/news-and-information/

This is a very long detailed article from Dr Colin Campbell:
http://nutritionstudies.org/2015-die...es-commentary/

I hope this is helpful - it can be very confusing out there as "big oil" likes to promote oils as healthy.

Emma JC
Mr. H. likes this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based

Find a

#29 Old 07-17-2017, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I think what the WFBPD and "What the Health" says is that its not fat in general, but oils in general that need to be avoided. I'm not an expert on WFPBD but the thing that I think makes it different from the regular strict vegetarian diet is that they use little to no oil in their cooking.

We all need fat in our diet. its actually a necessary nutrient. If i remember right the mRDA is a bout 14 grams a day. Of course the problem is that most people eat more than twice that amount.
Emma JC likes this.

Tags
what the health

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page