Lost (spoilers) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-02-2004, 04:53 AM
Administrator

There was some discussion on this show here but I think it's worthy of its own thread.

If you haven't seen it, and want to, they're replaying the pilot (2 hours) tonight.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-02-2004, 07:49 AM

Yay! I'm hooked so far. I'll leave the discussion until after tonight's airing, so as not to spoil it for anyone.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 10-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

GREAT show. Looking forward to seeing where this is going....

Nec Aspera Terrent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-03-2004, 06:53 AM

So what did y'all think of the polar bear? There was much derisive discussion of the idea over at the TWOP forums. I think it's kinda neat however. It brings about a whole other set of questions..how did it get there?

I'm very much enjoying the revelations that come through the flashbacks to the crash....especially like the twist of Kate being the one to whom the handcuffs belonged.

Jin/Sun are interesting. He's all xenophobic, "take care of ourselves" and then he goes and makes food for everyone? Hmmm. The misogynistic thing hits a button for me...curious to see where that goes. Maybe if they get off the island, she'll ditch his sorry ass.

So many storylines going on at once here..I hope they can do justice by them. Throwing in the possibility (to the other castaways) that Sawyer was the criminal, evened out the American vs. Iraqi dynamic a bit, eliminating some of the cliche. I have my own script for what happens to Sayid , but I digress.

It's been a good while since I found a TV show that really piqued my interest (save the Amazing Race), so I'm hoping that it doesn't suck after a few weeks, or fail to find a time slot and get yanked by ABC.

Alright people..let's talk it up..what did you like, didn't you like?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 10-03-2004, 07:01 AM
Administrator

The show was #9 last week but it was ABC's highest rated show (other than Monday Night Football) so hopefully they'll give it a fair chance.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,272|weekly||,00.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 10-03-2004, 07:23 AM

Yay! More than once, I've gotten into a show, only to have the networks break my heart. (See: Brooklyn Bridge, Homefront, American Gothic, Freaks n' Geeks, etc.)

#7 Old 10-03-2004, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't usually watch tv but my mom started watching it when I was in the room so I watched the two hour premiere when they repeated it yesterday. It was pretty good. But I don't know how they will be able to keep it fresh for years. This seems like something that would work for a miniseries, or maybe one season. Once they figure out the mysteries of the island, what else is there to do? And if they try to stretch out the mysteries for ages and ages then it seems like it will just be boring.
#8 Old 10-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Yay! More than once, I've gotten into a show, only to have the networks break my heart. (See: Brooklyn Bridge, Homefront, American Gothic, Freaks n' Geeks, etc.)

I loved Freaks n' Geeks.
#9 Old 10-03-2004, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, I am so in love with this show. I've never been this addicted to a show after only 2 episodes! I just hope it doesn't a) get cancelled, or b) go downhill so fast we'll wish is WAS cancelled before it got that bad.

But, for now I am loving it.
#10 Old 10-03-2004, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

i think that they need to drag that polar bear back to camp and carve him up for later provisions. so far, the vegetation doesn't look promising, though one can eat the inside of bamboo, and there are probably bread-fruit like foods on the island.

they also need to assign a fire keeper so that the fire is goin 24/7.

i mean, hello? basics here. i love that naveen andrews. so hot.
#11 Old 10-05-2004, 04:12 AM
Administrator

Picked this up from another site (which had picked it up from yet another site). Nothing too interesting...

Quote:
---

KOREAN TRANSLATIONS

Michael: Hey, have you seen my boy?

Korean Lady: I'm sorry, I can't speak English [blank staring] ... I can't speak English.

Koreany Dude: Your shirt's open, close it! Quickly!

Michael: ...

Kate: [washes]

Korean Lady: Excuse me (my korean ain't hip enough to give you 100% here, but yeah ... this is it in a gist, she might have also been saying something akin to "excuse me, miss" , but everything must be ready, they're all looking (for you).

Korean Dude: Hey you! (Or, the Korean equivalent to 'yo', actually) This is food, try one.

Hurly: S'up?

Korean Dude: This is sea urchin, it's really delicious. Try one.

Hurly: What, that?

Korean Dude: If you eat this, it'll give you some strength, it's okay to eat.

Hurly: What, eat that?

Korean Dude: *Eat it*, there's plenty, just - just *try* one ...

Hurly: Dude, dude ... I'm starving ...

Korean Dude: Yeah, yeah yeah ... (this makes me think he understands English)

Hurly: But not that starving. No thank you!

Incidently, there are certain ways to talk in Korean, you can say the same thing but depending upon certain words you add or don't add it can totally change the formality or the ... politeness of the words. Korean Dude is pretty polite to Hurly at first, if you notice he says "yo" at the end of each sentence - but as Hurly rejects him he gets a bit more abrupt, or less formal with him - language changes a bit. No more "yo", yo.

Also, he never speaks "politely" or respectfully towards his wife.

Korean Dude: This is *sea urchin*, try one.

Pregnant Lady: Er, nooo ... thank you.

Korean Dude: It's really important you eat this because of your baby, just have one. Have one. (I really don't think he was trying to poison her or anything here, because why would he tell her it's important she eat for her baby's sake if she doesn't understand what he's saying anyway?)

Pregnant Lady: [eats one]

Korean Dude: This one, yes ... eat it. There you go ... good isn't it? Have another one.

Pregnant Lady: [spazzes]

Korean Dude: What ... Are you okay? Are you okay?

Pregnant Lady: OMG FEEL THIS PLZTHX

Korean Dude: No, no, I don't want to, I don't want to ... Oh ..

Pregnant Lady: Do you feel that!?

Korean Dude: Oo ... I don't like it.

Pregnant Lady: That's a foot! That's a kick!

Korean Dude: Hand ... hand ... let go of my hand, will you?

---

---

FRENCH TRANSLATIONS:

"Il sont morts, ils sont tous morts" ---- they are dead, they are all dead...

"Venez nous aidez" ---- come to help us...

"Je vais essayer d'aller jusqu'au rocher noir" ---- I am trying to reach the black rock...

"Si qui que ce soit puisse entendre ceci" ---- If someone can hear this...

"Il les a tué... Il les a tué tous" ---- It kill them, it kill them all

"Il est dehors, et Brendon a pris les clefs" ---- It's outside, and Brendon (or Brennan, may be Brenda, it's not very well-pronounced) took the keys...

---

#12 Old 10-16-2004, 07:21 AM

Anyone still hooked? I missed ep. #3, but caught this weeks.

I'm still loving it, but there seem to be so many threads going in all different directions..I'm wondering how they're going to spin it all together.

#13 Old 10-16-2004, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been watching it with my friend Joe. It's pretty good...some parts are predictable, and some parts seem kind of stupid.

Heh, right when they first saw the polar bear (white blur running through the grass or whatever) but didn't know what it was, I yelled, "It's a polar bear!" I was totally kidding of course, and then...yeah. Then I started wondering if the show was going to get really stupid.

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#14 Old 10-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Anyone still hooked?

I am!

I wonder if Kate is really a vegetarian or if she was just kidding. (I could've sworn she was eating bacon at that farmer's house.)

The "polar bear" did not look at all like a polar bear. Haven't any of them ever seen one on TV or anything? White bear does not automatically mean polar bear...
#15 Old 10-16-2004, 09:42 PM

Yeah, I'm not still quite on board with the whole polar bear thing, but we'll see. I'm really liking the development of Locke's character so far.

#16 Old 10-17-2004, 05:20 PM

I'm guessing the polar bear and the transmission are related, like a zoo or circus ship crashed or something. For that matter, even a boar is unlikely on a Pacific island that hasn't been inhabited by people yet. Most islands have only plants, flying insects, and birds. Land animals came with the early waves of immigration from Indonesia. Unless the island has been inhabited but the natives are all dead... but the polar bear has got to be connected with the transmission.

One thing that I hope they keep up is having each episode be a day. I'm curious to see how they deal with the overweight guy, who should start dropping the pounds unless they start some serious food production. If they keep up the episode/day connection, the actor could just lose weight over the year of production in real time, and it would only be a month in show time.
#17 Old 10-18-2004, 06:08 AM
Beginner

I think they're dead and this is the afterlife. We have yet to see the actual crash, only the tail coming off. Although weird things are happening, they keep getting what they wish for. For example, the lady's handcuffs come off. The man who was paralyzed can now walk. The pregnant lady's baby is okay. The boy finds his dog. I expect the other woman's husband will be found "alive".
#18 Old 10-18-2004, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Interesting. I hadn't really noticed that. I'm also wondering what's up with the drug addict writing "L-A-T-E" on the bandages around his fingers. I finally got caught up on the last two episodes last night. I have trouble getting motivated to watch it but when I do I really like it. Odd.

And the lead female character said she's a vegetarian.

#19 Old 10-18-2004, 08:48 PM

Melissa...that part with the woman who the Doc saved was great...the comment about the "other group" being on another part of the island,wondering if *they* were the only survivors.

Michael..when did Kate say she was a vegetarian? I missed that.

#20 Old 10-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Administrator

When she was going on the hike to set up the little tranceiver (or whatever it was, to find the power source). When she was getting ready to go, the main guy said something like "this isn't about getting the boar" and she said "I'm a vegetarian." Something like that.

#21 Old 10-18-2004, 10:27 PM

Groovy. A hot, vegetarian criminal..every man's dream.

#22 Old 10-18-2004, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibean View Post

I wonder if Kate is really a vegetarian or if she was just kidding. (I could've sworn she was eating bacon at that farmer's house.)

Me too! Maybe they decided to make her a vegetarian later on or something, or maybe she didn't go veg until after that stuff happened (although she got on the plane not too long after she was at the farm). Maybe being at the farm made her go veg! Heh. Or, maybe she's a convenientarian (but being stranded on an island is a pretty tough situation and that's when she said she was veg...).

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#23 Old 10-18-2004, 10:44 PM
Beginner

Heh, found an interesting comic about this:

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/no...ffn/ffn073.htm

Started watching it with my girlfriend. Since I mainly spend just the weekends with her, we have to have it videotaped. Saw all 4 episodes so far, it's pretty good, IMO. I never would have guessed the wheelchair was actually was his, nor that was the reason why he was always looking at his toe. I also wonder if it was the crash or just being on the island that caused him to be able to walk.

Looking good so far, lets see what other information about the other passengers we can learn.
#24 Old 10-18-2004, 10:45 PM
Administrator

I bet she killed her abusive husband. Maybe he was somehow related to the guy that's turning her in. Though I get the impression these two had something going. Maybe they were having an affair and she tried to pin it on him.

#25 Old 10-18-2004, 11:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Still hooked. One of my very few appointment shows this season.
#26 Old 10-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Summaries for upcoming episodes...

1.05:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Jack is near delirious from lack of sleep and struggles to overcome the haunting events that brought him to Australia and, subsequently, to the island. Meanwhile, Boone gets caught in a treacherous riptide, the pregnant Claire-s health takes a bad turn, and a thief may have stolen the last bottles of water. Veronica Hamel (-Hill Street Blues-) guest stars as Jack-s mother.

1.06:

Walt and the others are shocked when Michael is brutally beaten, but only the non-English-speaking Jin and Sun know the truth behind the attack. Meanwhile Kate, Jack, Sawyer and Sayid argue about where the survivors should camp -- on the beach, where they-re more likely to be seen, or in a remote inland valley where fresh water abounds; and Locke discovers Charlie's secret.

1.07:

Charlie begins a painful journey of withdrawal from drugs, surprisingly aided by Locke, whose true motive for helping Charlie is a mystery. Meanwhile, survivors struggle to find and free Jack when he-s buried alive in a cave collapse, and someone might be secretly thwarting Sayid, Kate, and Boone when they enact a plan to find the source of the French transmission.

1.08:

When Shannon suffers an asthma attack, Jack and Sayid realize brutality might be the only way to convince Sawyer to relinquish the life-saving medicine he-s hoarding. Meanwhile, Sun struggles to decide if she-ll obey husband Jin-s orders to stay out of others- affairs, and Kate uncovers some shocking secrets about Sawyer.

#27 Old 10-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Administrator

I thought the tattoo on the druggy's shoulder was interesting - "Living is easy with eyes closed." Hmm...

#28 Old 10-23-2004, 06:26 AM

Evidently, he's a Beatles fan.

I thought it was about time for the water issue to come up..lots of hot thirsty people there. lol

I'm curious to see how Kate's criminal past plays out...the line in the preview "how did you get this way?" intrigued me.

Any thoughts on whether or not the Korean woman actually speaks English? (rumor on the net)

The more I watch, the more I'm reminded of Twin Peaks.

#29 Old 10-24-2004, 03:39 AM
Administrator

Interesting theory... Someone on another board mentioned that Sun wasn't with Jin in line at the airport. Then someone else posted this...

In the article (he's referring to an article in TV Guide), they mention that Sun actually knows English. She learned it in preparation to leave her controlling husband. Is it possible that the Sydney>USA flight was actually her escape attempt? Jin could have found out, and bought a ticket and boarded the plane at the last minute to get her. This would also explain her totally defeated attitude on the island.

#30 Old 10-24-2004, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I know the secret of the show...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page