Veggieboards roleplaying thread. [Fantasy] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

This is the first veggieboards roleplaying thread. The theme of the current roleplay is fantasy, but future games may be different.

Please do not post in this thread if you are not participating in the roleplay. All posts in this thread (aside from this one, for administrative purposes), should be In Character. All Out Of Character (OOC) discussion regarding the roleplay needs to take place here .

If you would like to join after we begin, please post in that thread FIRST, and then we'll find a way to work you in.

I will be locking this thread until it's time to begin, but I wanted to go ahead and have this ready so that everyone will know what to expect and where it will be.

I went ahead and started this a few minutes ahead of the midnight starting time because I'll be leaving work at midnight and I will want to shut down my PC before then. Have fun everyone, and refer to the discussion thread or PM me with questions!

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

The waves lapped gently against the beach at the quiet stretch of shoreline Cindra had chosen for her emergence from the sea. She swam up from the depths clutching a bag of tightly woven kelp filled with pieces of gold. The mermaid remembered the Sea Queens parting words

The humans seem to prize these shiny metal discsperhaps they will aid you in your search for Kiana.

Cindra shook the bag dubiously, hearing the muted clink of the pieces as they rubbed against each other.

If humans truly value theseI shall have to guard them closely and use them carefully

She lay in the surf, the soft susurrus echoing in her ears, the gritty sand against her skin and the unfamiliar tickle of wind playing with her hair. Cindra had embarked upon her quest with great urgency, for who knew what become of her sister if she were not found quickly?

But now she was loathe to leave the sea, to walk upon dry land with the strange legs that her tail would become if she willed it so. The wide fin flapped in the water idly, catching the sunlight on sparkling scales, and Cindra set her teeth.

I must do this.

Closing her eyes, she felt the magic of the sea and pulledand a soft tingle ran along her tail from her waist to the tip of the fin. If Cindra had known the pins and needles feeling of a limb gone to sleep, she might have likened this sensation to it, but she didnt, so she only waited as the magic cocooned around her, changing her body.

She opened her eyes and looked downher tail was gone, and in its place she had legsthe strange appendages used by the surface dwellers. She struggled to her feet, wobbling and falling to the sand more than once before she established an unsteady balance. Frightened and lonely, she stood on the beach, clothed in her long hair and clutching her bag. Her sisters fellow scouts had reported that Kiana had last been seen in this area, and that a check of the surface had shown her being carried away in a net by a pair of bearded humans. Communications with allies among the water sprites, and through them, dryads, had revealed that the men had dumped Kiana into a wagon marked with human writing and bright flags.

Cindra had nothing else to go on. She had memorized the description provided and knew of only two things that would lead her to her sister. First, she must walk among the humans and seek out a wagon that met the description, and secondly, she must constantly search for Kianas mental presence. Cindra and her people had long communicated with one another telepathically, but on the surface, this ability was weakened and the range decreased. Cindra would have to be reasonably close her sister to sense her.

So. I will walk among the humans.

She took one slow step forward, then another, and another, until she stopped and rested her hand on a rock for balance. These legs were strange, and this method of moving about on them seemed awkward and graceless to one used to gliding through currents and riding waves with dolphins.

Perhapsa short rest

Cindra sat on the rock, staring out at the waves. They seemed to call to hercome home, come home

Well, what have we here?

The mermaids head whipped around and her eyes widened as she stared at the human. He was large, so much bigger than any merman she had ever seenand hairy. His smell assaulted herflesh and dirt and sweat.

Ren! Oi, Ren! Lookee here! Weve got a real sweet piece here!

Another man jogged up, small and rat-faced.

Think the bossll mind if we-

Please The words sounded strange, coming from her mouthfelt strange. Please leave me alone.

So she speaks. Well, missy. Why dont you come over here and-

These could be the humans who took Kiana! They could take mebut if I were held in their thrall I could not free either of us

Cindra reached out to the seaand it answered. A surge of water rose up from the waves and hurtled towards the men, sweeping them off their feet and swirling up around them, holding them in a vise grip and stinging their faces with spray.

A mermaid, have you seen her? Violet hair and eyes, a crimson tailshe was seen here, taken by men

Damn these awkward words

The men spluttered and fought against the water, but it held them with an inexorable grip.

I will let you go if you tell me.

Cindra commanded the waters to pull them towards the ocean, to pull them beneath the waves until they gasped their last breathstheir feet were dragging the sand

Wait, I saw er. I saw somethin!

She stopped, yanking him forward in a spray of sea foam.

What? Tell me what you have seen!

A freakshow, with a fish girl in a water tank. And dancers He stuttered, terrifiedthen fainted.

I will learn nothing more from these men. But I will not kill them.

The water released them, flowing back into the ocean and Cindra longed to flow back with itbut she curled up on the rock, knees against her chest, arms wrapped around her legs, and cried.

The larger man fled, throwing his waterlogged companion over one burly shoulder as he went, muttering about witches.

Witch? Nobut a sorceress of the court of the sea queen surely does not belong here on the surface

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#3 Old 09-16-2004, 06:17 AM
Veggie Regular

SEVY, JARRO and the city Eloria are all copyright to the author using the alias SilverC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-16-2004, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Ite mures!

No effect.

Ite mures!, he yelled again, this time allowing some of his anger and frustration to escape his lips.

He had only taken this admittedly stupid job for some quick gold anyway, awaiting his true calling by a noble patron, of course. Instead, however, of being well-paid and looked after, he was doing menial servant work himself. How did it happen that he, Morien Warlow, a wizard, a student of the magical arts, a servant of the twilight of the dawn, had taken to clearing out mice from the house of an elderly woman to provide for himself?

Some of the bolts that had left the tip of his staff made an unpromising fizzling sound as they hit the dusty basement floor.

Arent you done yet boy?, the voice of an elderly woman croaked upstairs, If my husband were still alive, hed have taken care of this in five minutes!

Nearly done, madam., Morien said, resignedly.

Muscipula magna, he said, concentrating fully on the tip of his staff. Surely, it was glowing. Carefully he broadened his mental focus until it encompassed the entire basement, exploring every hole, every corner in his mind. Triumphantly yet diligently he spoke the words Venite, mures.

For a while, nothing happened, then, sure enough, a mouse peered around the corner of the cellar door. It approached his staff and, as it touched its tip. Another one came, and yet another one, and yet another one.

By the time he had caught about a dozen of them, the same rasping voice as before snapped at him: I ASKED YOU TO GET RID OF THE MICE, NOT TO BRING IN MORE MICE SO THEY COULD HAVE A BACCHANAL IN MY BASEMENT.

As Morien lost his concentration due to the sudden sound, the spell failed. Somehow, the rats did not escape from the arcane prison into which Moriens staff had sucked them. He straightened his jet-black robes and confidently walked up the stairs.

Well, I reckon I got them all, madam.

Yes, and those of the three nearest buildings as well!

Well, mistakes were made, but now its done. Now, I will require some compensation, of course.

Ah, yes, heres half of the gold and an old manuscript from the library of my late husband., said the woman, a mischievous look in her eyes.

Morien felt not the need to argue with the woman. As he closed the huge oaken door behind him, he walked out into the city, I had better get these rats to the shore. Somewhere out of the way at least. All that effort, for what? Half the gold and a worthless old book!
#5 Old 09-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Cindra blinked and looked up at the tall woman standing before her. She had the lean, strong look of a warrior, reminding her of the soldiers who guarded the Sea Queens chambers.

There weremen. But they have gone.

The mermaid looked down at her hands, then reached up to brush tears away. She felt bad for allowing herself to go into shock and weep like a childher sister was out there, alone and scared, perhaps even seriously injured!

The damp depressions in the sand where the men had lain after the water had released themthey were proof that Cindra was not entirely without defense in this world, strange as it may be.

Although what I will do when there is no water aboutI know not.

Turning her gaze back to the warrior woman, Cindra came to her feet awkwardly, bracing one hand on the rock upon which she had been sitting.

Have you seen a thing calleda freakshow?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Miles away, in the dank basement beneath a profitable Counting House, two waterlogged brigands stood before their master, the tang of the sea emanating from their clothes, at odd with the unclean state of their garments.

Surely you have not been wasting my time and coin bygallivanting about at the beach, Gaine?

No sor, no! Ren gabbled, bobbing his head at the saturnine man who reclined in a carved wooden chair. There was a wench, an the water an it were-

Shaddup, Ren. The larger man cuffed his companion on the head, knocking him to the floor, then turned to his master.

Twerent nothin, Boss, just a bit o seawater. I brought what ye sent me ter get.

Gaine reached into his pack and drew out a delicate silver plate, seemingly woven of strands of pure metal, and placed it in front of his masters chair. A boy darted out from behind the chair and picked up the piece, holding it out to the master.

Excellentdont you think?

The master turned to his captive, an elf so bruised and tortured to be nearly unrecognizable as one of the fey. The elf blanched at the sight of the metal piece, tears streaming down his face, making tracks in the filth on his skin.

Soon, my pointy-eared friendsoon you will unlock the secrets of this memorial piece for me

The master smiled, stroking the velvet of his tunic.

Gaine. You will tell me of thisadventure you had at the shoreline today.

It was not a request.

OOC: The lines indicate a change in scene.

#6 Old 09-16-2004, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Sevy looked at the girl, and regarded her carefully. There was something different about her, but she couldnt quite place it. Her eyes had a certain quality to them that Sevy found a bit unnerving.

There weremen. But they have gone.

The timbre of her voice was odd too. But Sevy chalked it up to some sort of trauma; a pretty girl, alone and naked, talking about men. In Sevys mind, it was obvious what had happened. She wasnt quite sure what to do, as she didn't know how the girl would react to being touched. The girl stood up, using the rock for support.

Have you seen a thing calleda freakshow?

A freakshow? Sevy asked. Of all the things to ask about. Yes, Ive seen a few. Why?

The girls face lit up. Where? Please, where is it? The girl stepped towards Sevy, but stumbled and fell onto the sand.

Here, let me help you. Sevy said and grabbed the girl by the arm. The girls eyes widened and she pulled her arm back. I only want to help you, miss. Dont be afraid.

Sevy took off her cloak, wrapped it around the girl, and then offered her hand. The girl hesitantly reached up and Sevy helped to pull her to her feet and steady her.

Please, the freakshow

Wait, calm down. Are you from around here? Where are your family? Sevy asked.

The girl bit her lip and looked at the water. Her eyes welled up with tears and she looked back at Sevy.

Please. The girl said forcefully. Ineedto find the freakshow.

Sevy sighed. What have I gotten myself into? she thought.

Alright miss, but first you need clothes and you need to rest. There is an inn not too far from here. Come with me. The girl opened her mouth to protest. And Im sure there will be lots of people there who know where a freakshow is.
#7 Old 09-16-2004, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

And Im sure there will be lots of people there who know where a freakshow is.

Cindra followed the warrior woman, keeping a tight hold on her seaweed bag of metal pieces. The ground hurt her bare feet, and if it weren't for the woman's arm to which she clung, she would have fallen again and again. The wind blew, ruffling her hair, tickling her scalp. Previous visits to the surface had been brief enough that her hair had never truly dried, so the sensation of not having droplets of water clinging to her was...strange.

At least she could still smell the sea.

She could still feel the sea, feel it tugging at her body, rippling through her.

A storm...

Hesitantly, she spoke.

"A storm is coming."

#8 Old 09-16-2004, 04:05 PM

Gladys collapsed on her bed. Claws dug into her arm. "Marcus, go find mice."

The cat proposed a different plan and rolled on his back, his fluffy orange underbelly demanding attention. She learned not to trust a cat's invitation long ago, so she tickled his chin instead. His throaty purr annouced his approval.

"Such hard times, Marcus. There's a circus of slaves and misfits coming to town next week. Disgusting display of creatures, caged and chained."

The cat pawed at her free hand. She offered it and scratched behind both furry ears. His stubby toes curled with enjoyment.

"Such madness, locking up humans, elves, and half-breeds. I even heard they had merfolk this time. I can't keep up with this. I'm too old. In years I am not, but I feel it in my body. The wind is harder to take now. The cold doesn't leave my bones like it once did. Thinking of all those girls that we cannot save doesn't help." She snuggled her face into his belly. "What if they do know who I am and send someone to hurt me and the girls? I have no protection. I'm all alone."
#9 Old 09-16-2004, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Exonerandi

No effect. He moved closer to the sea, using its sound to made his own voice unheard by passers by. Exonerandi. The rats started emerging from the tip of his staff (strangely enough, they seemed a lot smaller than before). He took note of the phenomenon and waited until the effect ceased.

Well, I think I earned myself some wine today. Lets see if that inn over there has anything even remotely decent., he muttered under his breath.

As he walked across the barren beach, he paused and looked back at the sea. Ever so soothing, ever so calm. A bit too calm, perhaps. He drew a long breath and remembered the meaning of his given name: sea-born. It had to do with the hour of his birth, of course, but still: the sea exerted some influence over him.

While he mused on this some more, he neared the inn. It surely looked like a place for common riff-raff to hang out, but for once it didnt bother him that much. He opened the door and without paying too much heed to his surroundings and without taking his hood off he walked up to the bar.

Red wine., he said uncompromisingly, but not without doubt and uncertainty in his voice, as he slammed his right hand on the bar.
#10 Old 09-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Cass gave the young man who had slammed his fist down on the bar the careful once over. For all his bravado, he didn't quite seem to fit in here. She wondered if he knew how rough it got in here sometimes. Oh well, it was not her job to give out advice and warnings, it was her job to serve the wine.

She grabbed the bottle off the rack and uncorked it. She hated the smell of red wine. Too dark and ugly smelling to her. In the back of her mind she knew there was more to it than that, but somethings she just didn't dwell on. Not enough time, and it was wasted energy.

She served the wine without a word. She wasn't sure she wanted to engage this man. Something was off about him. Making her scalp feel prickly and raising the tiny hairs on the back of her neck. And she was preoccupied. Gladys wasn't well, and she was worried about things she wouldn't share with Cass. Why Gladys wouldn't let Cass help, she didn't know.
#11 Old 09-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

A storm is coming.

Sevy looked at the girl and then at the sky. She didnt notice a change in the weather, but nodded her head in agreement. They walked on in silence. Sevy snuck glances at the girl every now and again, and saw her staring at her hair, or the trees, or a squirrel and other such common things. Soon the silence became unbearable.

Sevy cleared her throat. Not far now.

The girl was looking at her feet and didnt appear to hear her.

I said, its not far now. She repeated. My name is Sevy. Whats yours?

Cindra.

Cindradont think Ive ever heard that name before. Its pretty. Sevy said and smiled.

She noticed for the first time that Cindra was clutching a green bag. She was curious about it, but knew better than to ask. She wondered again what she had gotten herself into, and what she was going to do with this girl. She certainly couldnt just abandon Cindra, it was obvious that she needed help. But what did Sevy know about taking care of anyone else but herself?

Finally they reached the inn. Cindra stopped short and stared at it with wide eyes. Sevy patted her hand reassuringly.

Dont worry. Ive been here before. Itll be loud and there will be lots of people in there, but nothing to fear. They started walking again.

Wait, one minute, Sevy said. She adjusted the cloak around Cindra so that she was completely covered. Keep yourself covered; we dont need to be giving anyone a free show. And your bag Cindra clutched it to her body. I dont know what youve got in there, not my business to know. Just keep it out of sight, whatever it is.

Cindra nodded and held the bag tightly. They walked into the building.
#12 Old 09-16-2004, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Cindra really had no idea of what to expect from a surface dwelling, but the Inn Sevy had led her to did not seem unpleasant. The wooden planks were easier on her tender feet than the ground, and she was interested in the odd savory smells.

A fire crackled in the huge fireplace, and Cindra stared at it wide-eyed. She had heard of the red and orange flames that were hot to the touch, and that the surface dwellers used it to heat their homes and protect themselves.

Her quarters in the undersea palace contained a sphere, crafted by magic, that contained heated water, used to warm the ambient seawater during the cold season when currents flowed in from the polar caps. The humans' fire seemed to serve a similar purpose.

She found her eyes watering, stinging from the smoke that wafted throughout the room. Her transparent inner eyelids closed reflexively, protecting her from the acrid air.

Cindra remembered Sevy's warning and kept a tight grip on her bag of coins, drawing it imperceptibly beneath the cloth draped around her. And what had the woman meant about a "free show" ? She knew the humans chose to cover their bodies, but the merfolk had no need of such modesty and the concept of shielding one's flesh from view seemed strange.

Just as everything here is strange...

The mermaid cast her eyes around the room, seeing more men like the ones who had attacked her on the beach, bearded and covered with earth. They sat at wooden tables, drinking and talking. It seemed that a few of them glanced at her, but they made no move to attack as the others had, so perhaps they were not a threat.

Still, it does no harm to be prepared...

A barrel of water stood in the corner, and Cindra pulled on it gently, causing a slight ripple that would surely go unnoticed.

If trouble comes, I will be ready.

More comfortable now that she had located water, she glanced around again, taking in the sight of a tall woman with hair black as ink, and a young man clothed in the same dark shade.

"Sevy? Will one of these people know where to find the freakshow?"

#13 Old 09-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

His voice was oily.

So you attempted to acquire a new female for my service, and she proved more than you could handle?

The master stroked his tunic again, brooding as his dark gaze shifted from his waterlogged underlings to his captive elf and back again.

It sounds as though she used water magicwhich is common to the merfolk and the odd elemental mage

Gaine and Ren only stared. The master was lethal and had been known to kill an underling for something so minor as looking away from him as he spoke. Only the fact that he paid generously kept them in his servicethat and the fact that once you worked for the master, you did not leave until he discharged you.

Of course, a discharge from this master was never given to the living.

I should like to have this girl. Merfolk are rare and elemental mages rarer stillshe will make an excellent sacrifice. Some fresh blood will do Him good.

The master tossed a bag of coins at the brigands.

You may have the rest of the day off for your wenching and gaming, but at first light you will depart to acquire this female for me. Ganya will accompany you.

Gaine and Ren paled.

#14 Old 09-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

"Sevy? Will one of these people know where to find the freakshow?"

"They might. But let me do the talking, okay?"

Cindra nodded. Sevy surveyed the room. No one in here posed a real threat to them. Except perhaps that strange young man drinking wine. He looked too cocky and confident for a boy his age. He wasn't paying attention to anyone except his wine though, so Sevy relaxed her grip on the hilt of her sword and ushered Cindra over to the bar.

She motioned for the blackhaired barmaid to come over.

"I'll have a pint and she..." with a glance to Cindra, "will have some hot cider. And listen," Sevy said, leaning in, "We'll also need a room, and well, some clothes."

Sevy plunked some silver coins on the bar.

"And one more thing...you wouldn't have seen a freakshow anywhere nearby, would you?"
#15 Old 09-17-2004, 06:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Cass narrowed her eyes at this strange pair. Was it her imagination or was the green-haired woman naked and wrapped just in a cloak? Probably, since the woman with her was asking for clothes. Was the woman her owner? Cass had seen stranger things, so she just served up the drinks.

"I've seen signs that a freakshow is coming to our town," Cass supplied. "And I'm sure my mistress will have some clothes that will suffice for the little one."
#16 Old 09-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Sulfur, the stench of rotting corpses, and the tang of blooda necromancer becomes accustomed to all of these. The master, of course, had lackeys to do the dirty work of slaughtering animals and pouring their blood on the dark altar for the hourly feeding the demon Balakash required to stay in this plane, rather than sinking back into the depths of the Netherworld.

A feeding of the blood of Otherfolk, thoughit was special. Wine instead of water, feasting instead of subsistingand none other than a true necromancer could preside over such foulness.

And so the master descended the stairway to the chamber where he had summoned Balakash, a carafe of hot silvery elven blood in his hands, clasped against the immaculate velvet tunic. His captive elf had long since stopped fighting him when he drew the iron blade across his heart, squeezing out the rich lifeblood and leaving scars on the once flawless skin. Every time the master brandished the knife, the captives eyes became a little hollower, a little emptier.

And every time he survived the bloodletting, he became more despondent.

Such a shamewould that I could sacrifice the elf and have done with itbut he has knowledge I must possess.

#17 Old 09-17-2004, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Morien looked at the hearth-fire through his glass of wine. The wine was much better than he had expected it to be, much better indeed. The subtleties of taste reminded him of the woods and the flowing rivers, while the play of the colour reminded him of the sun, ending her reign by submerging herself in the sea. He missed his home, he missed it, sometimes dearly, sometimes only faintly. In his heart, he knew returning would be impossible, but in his mind, he often recreated the warm and loving atmosphere of those days. He took a sip of wine, just enough to experience the taste.

Ah, home.., he sighed.

Cheers! Omes wher the eart is!, a boozy man said, putting his hand on Moriens shoulder.

The sound of the tavern came rushing back to him and he promptly straightened his robes and avoided the gaze of the intoxicated commoner.

Aight, Aight, laddy, I meant noffence., the man said, a hint of sarcasm seeping through in his voice.

Morien ignored him and instead turned to survey the other people in the room. Unpleasant riff-raff, mainly, but also some people who had a certain feeling about him, a feeling not commonly felt. There was the bartender, and the smaller one of the two women she was serving right now. It was a most peculiar feeling, not something he could name, or put his finger on. He moved closer to be able to hear their conversation.

"And one more thing...you wouldn't have seen a freakshow anywhere nearby, would you?""

"A freakshow? Who would want to bother with such an uncouth spectacle anyway?", Morien muttered, not being quite aware of the fact that he was speaking, rather than thinking.
#18 Old 09-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

"A freakshow? Who would want to bother with such an uncouth spectacle anyway?"

Cindra turned to the dark-clad man, startled, although not perhaps in the way he might have expected.

I sense magic on this man...but a man...doing magic? Odd.

Pulling the cloak around her shoulders, she touched his sleeve tentatively.

"You say that a freakshow is an uncouth thing. I know the meaning of uncouth...but...I do not know much of what a freakshow is. Is it dangerous?" , she asked, worry in her tone.

I know it is dangerous to Kiana, if she is indeed the captive of such a thing, but would I be endangering Sevy by asking her to help me locate one? That would be unkind...

Without waiting for a response from the man, she tilted her head to the side briefly, studying him, and then spoke again.

"Why is there a feel of magic about you? Are you a sorcerer?"

#19 Old 09-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

"You say that a freakshow is an uncouth thing. I know the meaning of uncouth...but...I do not know much of what a freakshow is. Is it dangerous?"

Caught aback by his own speaking and the small womans surprisingly worried response, Morien was unable to respond rapidly. He readily listened, but when she asked whether or not he was a sorcerer, his wits came back to him. He straightened his back.

Madam, I am, indeed, a scholar of the magical arts, a wizard, a servant of the twilight of the dawn., he said, in a solemn voice, more silently, he continued: as for freakshows, theyre of little consequence, a barbarian form of amusement if you ask me.
#20 Old 09-17-2004, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Cindra stifled a giggle at the younger man's puffed up response. He was probably quite enamoured of his own importance...which was mostly harmless, she supposed.

"So you are a wizard. Yet another thing with which I am unfamiliar..."

Barbarian...perhaps it is dangerous after all?

She glanced at Sevy, who stood proudly and looked more than capable of taking care of herself.

Perhaps there will be no problem, but if there is, I believe she will be fine...and I am not entirely helpless...

She reached out to the water barrel again, stirring the fluid gently, reassured by the contact.

#21 Old 09-17-2004, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

"A freakshow? Who would want to bother with such an uncouth spectacle anyway?"

Sevy looked at the young man out of the corner of her eyes, sizing him up. She was distrustful by nature, having seen the worst humans had to offer all too often (and having been a part of the worst humans had to offer all too often as well).

When she saw Cindra reached out to touch the man, Sevy felt a surge of protectiveness.

Curious. Since when did I become a mother hen?

Before she could stop her, Cindra started talking to the man. She hissed in frustration.

I told her not to talk to anyone!

Still, she didnt move to interrupt them. And so he was a wizard, was he? Great. Of all the people Cindra chose to talk to, she had to pick the one person in the bar that could be dangerous. The rest of the drunks here, Sevy could take them all on and not break a sweat. But a wizardhe could prove to be difficult.

But what did she care? She got Cindra here, paid for her room and clothes. That should be enough, shouldnt it? What was she supposed to do with her now? Sevy hadnt thought that far ahead.

Shes not my responsibility, I did more than most would have. Right?

Sevy felt a twinge of guilt. And she grudgingly admitted to herself that she wouldnt just abandoned the poor girl. In for a penny, in for a pound, as they say.

She cleared her throat. Cindra, perhaps you shouldnt bother the man. Leave him to his drink. And at any event, he doesnt appear to know where your freakshow is. Sorry to disturb you, boy, next rounds on me, savvy?
#22 Old 09-17-2004, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

"So you are a wizard. Yet another thing with which I am unfamiliar..."

He sensed some kind of magical power gently tug through the room. It was unfamiliar to him. He did notice however, that it stirred the water in a barrel in the corner.

Well, one could say that a wizard is a kind of sorcerer.

He gently waved his staff as he focussed his mind on that same barrel of water. His hood slipped slightly because of the controlled, yet sudden movement.

Frigera

Just as he spoke the word, his concentration was interrupted by the other, taller, woman that had hitherto only talked to the bartender:

Cindra, perhaps you shouldnt bother the man. Leave him to his drink. And at any event, he doesnt appear to know where your freakshow is. Sorry to disturb you, boy, next rounds on me, savvy?

He smiled at the green-haired woman, a look of mischief in his eyes. Suddenly, however, a very strange sensation took hold of his other hand: a tingling unpleasant sensation, rapidly numbing his tactile sense. The glass of wine in his hand had frozen completely.

"I will take you up on that offer, miss."
#23 Old 09-17-2004, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

This time, Cindra didn't bother trying to stifle the giggle, and she turned to Sevy with a smile. It had felt good to laugh, something she hadn't done since she'd first learned of Kiana's abduction.

She turned her attention to the glass he held, studying it. It was a strange substance, but there was water there...

This isn't much different from warming the water in my quarters at the palace...

Her blue eyes focused on the fluid, and she reached...melting the fluid and warming it to a comfortable, non-burning temperature.

#24 Old 09-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Sevy blinked. Then blinked again. The young mans hand had frozen.

"I will take you up on that offer, miss."

She looked from him to his hand to Cindra and then back to his hand. And then she burst out laughing. She clapped him on the back.

That, mboy, was worth two drinks!

Then she noticed the weird gleam in Cindras eyes. And suddenly, the wine in the mans glass was thawed. She looked at Cindra in shock.

I knew there was something off about her!!
#25 Old 09-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

The pale-skinned woman audible giggled and exchanged glances with the woman who had just offered him a drink. The latter burst out laughing and slapped him on the back with more force than he could have expected.

That, mboy, was worth two drinks!

The feeling of anger gently subsided as feeling, and even a bit of warmth returned to his hand. He gently bowed his head in gratitude and, to some extent, acknowledgement towards the woman, in the process vainly attempting to hide the humbled expression that had found its way unto his face.
#26 Old 09-17-2004, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Perhaps that was a bit impulsive...

Cindra blushed.

"Sevy...I think...that I owe you an explanation."

#27 Old 09-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

"Sevy...I think...that I owe you an explanation."

She nodded. Im beginning to get the impression that you arent quite as helpless as Id first thought.

Sevy could have kicked herself. First that damned fairy, and now this. Since when did she become so naïve?

The wizard was watching this exchange with one eyebrow cocked. She slammed some more coins on the bar for his drinks, as she had promised, and glared at him to let him know that he could go back to his drinking. It appeared as though he was much more interested in Cindra and her abilities, and his drinks went untouched. Which irked her to no end.

Well, lets hear it then. she said curtly.
#28 Old 09-17-2004, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

"First, I think...I must say that I owe you my thanks. When you came upon me, I was in shock, and more frightened and alone than I have ever been...so while it is true that I am not entirely helpless...without your aid I would probably still be crying on that beach."

She twisted her hands in her hair, feeling it flow through her fingers silkily.

"I am searching for my sister. She was abducted by men, and the last information we received indicated that she was being held and displayed in some way. The men who attacked me on the beach...they spoke of a freakshow, so I must check there to see if I might find Kiana..."

Cindra looked up at Sevy, apology in her eyes.

"I did not mean to mislead you, this place is indeed very strange to me...and these legs...are strange as well. Because of what I am, water is my element to call...and I served in Her Majesty's court as a sorceress. Her Majesty gave me these to aid in my search for Kiana."

She held up the bag, shaking it slightly, so that Sevy could hear the muted clink.

"I think I can trust you...so I will ask...will you help me find Kiana?"

#29 Old 09-17-2004, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Sevy turned away from Cindra. She stared at the bar and picked up the pint of lager the barmaid had brought her. She downed half of it in a single gulp. She tried to process all that she had just heard.

So Cindra wasnt human, of that she was certain. But what exactly was she? A water fae? And what Court was she speaking of? Sevy knew much of the world; she had travelled far, met many people. But she had never been comfortable around non-humans; she couldnt read them well, their motives were often veiled and confusing. And so she had always avoided their kind.

The biggest question, of course, was could Cindra be trusted? She sounded sincere enough, but then, so had the little man. Sevy sighed and drank the rest of her pint. She wiped her mouth with the back of her hand and turned to look at Cindra.

If it was true, if there was a kidnapped sister, then how could she refuse? She closed her eyes and remembered the screams of her own two sisters as the pirates had their way with them. Sevy had only been a child, defenceless, unable to help them. And so, when one of the pirates looked up and spotted her hiding, she ran, leaving her sisters to the mercy of monsters. She shuddered at the memory.

She opened her eyes and looked at Cindra once more. Alright, she said slowly. I will help you find your sister. But there are some things you need to know about me as well. First, I never work for free. She glanced at the bag of coins that Cindra held. And second, I dont like being taken advantage of. If you are lying to me, then by the gods, I will kill you. Make no mistake about that.
#30 Old 09-17-2004, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Nodding slowly, Cindra extended a hand to Sevy.

"I will place my confidence in you, and with that, my trust. You will have complete honesty from me. I pledge that by Her Majesty's crown."

She offered the bag.

"Take what you think is fair. And then...can we go somewhere quiet? I...have been dry too long."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page