VB RP Discussion thread. [ooc discussion for players only] [Back from Hiatus!] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, I'm sure some of you are familiar with RPGs, while others may not be, so I'll give a brief overview.

I'm suggesting we start a messageboard play-by-post roleplaying game. (RPG) Unlike Dungeons & Dragons and other table RPGs, there are no dice, no character sheets, no spell cards or weapon cards or anything of the like.

In a messageboard RPG, we all tell a story together. It can be any kind of story in any kind of setting. We might pick an urban city, a futuristic vegan utopia, a fantasy kingdom, or a sci-fi world. The sky's the limit. Once a setting is chosen, each person who wants to participate creates a Player Character (PC). Your PC must fit in with the chosen setting. For example, if we all decided on a futuristic sci-fi setting, you couldn't have a unicorn/elf hybrid wizard or something like that. Your PC is an extension of yourself, and it is from that person's perspective that you help tell the story. Try to make your PC realistic. A character who can solve any problem, win any battle, and who is "too perfect" isn't as much fun to play with. Characters should also have strengths and weaknesses, and be consistent. For example, if your character is a 16 year old homecoming queen, chances are, she's not a hard-boiled soldier and expert fighter. (And if she is, you need to have a good explanation for how she became that way.)

There will be a Game Master (GM) who will help keep everyone on track and advance the plot. Sometimes the Game Master will ask some players to act as Assistant Game Masters (AGMs).

Everyone gets to contribute to the plot. Going back to our hypothetical sci-fi game, maybe someone's character discovers a secret government plot to clone the president and start a puppet government, and that character is a police officer who wants to stop it. The person playing that character can introduce the idea to the group and it can blend into the story.

Common courtesy when RPing indicates that you should never "play" another person's character. If you want to have a conversation with another character, there are two options. See the example below:

---

Cindra walks into the room and sits on the couch. She looks off to the side and sees Tom standing by the door.

"Hello, Tom! How are you?"

----

And then the person playing Tom could reply in the next post with his/her answer.

Another way to do it would be to PM back and forth with the character's owner. Maybe Cindra and Tom need to have a conversation to advance the plot. I could PM the person who has Tom's character and we could discuss the conversation before one of us writes it in a post.

^^;;

Okay, my explanation turned out to be not so brief after all. If even a couple of you are interested, reply here and I'll explain more and we can decide what kind of story we want to do.

I used to do this on another board that I once frequented and I've participated in several of these, they're very fun, because everyone gets to add his/her flair to the story and it can come out really neat! I've GMed a couple of times, too, so I'd be able to do that if we start one.

Anyway, please reply here if you're interested, and we'll start figuring out what everyone would enjoy.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-09-2004, 01:31 PM

<---wants to play!!!!
#3 Old 09-09-2004, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Great, Krista! I sorta thought you might be, since you like to write! What kind of story would you enjoy? Fantasy, maybe?

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooh, I'm so in!
#5 Old 09-09-2004, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceryna View Post

Great, Krista! I sorta thought you might be, since you like to write! What kind of story would you enjoy? Fantasy, maybe?

I write anything (currently fantasy) and I play EverQuest, and have played D&D and Battletech. So um yeah....I'm in
#6 Old 09-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh my world. I've not done this since I was a far smaller child. I'm in. I think it needs to be fantasy. I want to be a dragon with red wings.
#7 Old 09-09-2004, 01:38 PM

Shall we figure this out and then, once ironed out, start a new thread in the Arts section and have at it?
#8 Old 09-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I think we should use this thread for brainstorming and ironing out the details, and posting character details.

Like...

Name:

Species:

Physical Characteristics:

Skills/Abilities:

Backstory: (a paragraph or so)

Other than that, we won't need to keep complex character sheets, we'll just have somewhere to refer back to should we have a question about another person's post.

Sound good?

Any genre is fine with me, I've played them all. I especially enjoy fantasy, I like to play elves and such. ^^

#9 Old 09-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I wanna play too! I might mess it up, but I wanna play anyway!
#10 Old 09-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

AOD, there's no real way to mess it up, just play your character and stay in-character in your posts! ^_^

If you have any questions, that's what the GM and AGMs are for. ^_^

If you like to write, you'll be great at this, because it's basically just round-robin storywriting. ^^

#11 Old 09-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Ohhh.. sign me up . I haven't done this for some time, but I always remember it fondly.

I'm okay with any setting, too .
#12 Old 09-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I think so far we have...three votes for fantasy? High fantasy with elves and unicorns and dragons and Knights In Shining Armor and castles and princesses?

#13 Old 09-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd like to try too!!

Fantasy is fine with me!
#14 Old 09-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I vote against having hobbits and ring wraiths

*hides*

eta: but other than that, fantasy sounds just dandy to me!
#15 Old 09-09-2004, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceryna View Post

I think so far we have...three votes for fantasy? High fantasy with elves and unicorns and dragons and Knights In Shining Armor and castles and princesses?

Sure, as long as we can make our own rules about the creatures/races. We'll just have different sects of elves, humans, etc. I don't like tinkerbell elves, nor Tolkien elves.
#16 Old 09-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Try to make your PC realistic. A character who can solve any problem, win any battle, and who is "too perfect" isn't as much fun to play with. Characters should also have strengths and weaknesses, and be consistent.

Aww you mean we all can't be Mary Sues? *pout*
#17 Old 09-09-2004, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelOfDance View Post

I wanna play too! I might mess it up, but I wanna play anyway!

Do you require another behind the barn, young lady No one expects you to be perfect, except you of course. So, participate and don't be worrying about messing up.
#18 Old 09-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Sure, make your own rules about creatures/races. The character idea I'm working on now is a mermaid who leaves the seas to search for her sister who was captured and sold to a traveling carnival.

Different types of elves, humans, trolls, whatever...anything goes as long as it fits into the fantasy genre. No computers, electricity, etc. Unless someone wants to play a character who used science to somehow transport him/her self into another dimension which happens to be fantasy based. In that case, though, he/she would need to have limitations, like...only able to use the scientific devices he/she brought along, there's no electricity in the fantasy world, etc.

#19 Old 09-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

SilverC,

Awww, did you want to be Princess Contessa of the long flowy hair and perfect magical spells that can instantly fix anything?

#20 Old 09-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, and I wanted all the men to fall madly in love with me at first sight!! Especially Legolas!! He's mine!! Mine I tell you!!!!

#21 Old 09-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

haha!

SilverC !!!

#22 Old 09-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, here's some character data for my mermaid character, if we go with Fantasy. If we change our minds later on and do a different genre, I can make up another character, no problem.

Name: Cindra (short for Serecindra)

Species: Mermaid

Physical Characteristics: Green hair, blue eyes, pale skin. When in mermaid form, her tail is green. In human form, she is petite.

Skills/Abilities: Sea sorcery, which relies on water. In the absence of water, she is weakened. Telepathy, Low fighting ability due to concentration on magic and the unfamiliarity of dry land. Weathersense. Ability to shift back and forth between mermaid and human form at will, but only due to an enchanted necklace she wears. If that is lost/stolen/broken, she'll revert to mermaid form at the first touch of water, if only a drop.

Backstory: Cindra was a sorceress serving in the court of the Sea Queen when her sister, a scout, was abducted by men and sold to a traveling carnival/freak show. She begged permission of the queen to go search for her sister and it was granted, on the condition that Cindra agree to marry the Queen's son on her return. Cindra dislikes him, but agrees so that she can save her sister. She receives the enchanted necklace and comes ashore, feeling very disoriented. Previously, she had only been to the surface a handful of times, and never with legs.

And a few more guidelines:

From time to time, a non-player character (NPC) might be introduced to further the plot. It could be a shopkeeper, palace guard, random child in the street, whatever is needed. Anyone can use the NPCs as long as they stay consistent with whatever has been established for that character.

All posts within the RP itself need to be In Character (IC). If you need to stay something Out Of Character, (OOC), mark it as such.

For example, maybe I just finished a post describing how Cindra emerged from the seas, and at the end I wanted to clarify something for the other players. I might do this:

OOC: Cindra did this because...blah blah.

But OOC should be kept to a minimum, because we really want to tell the story from our characters' POV. ^^

#23 Old 09-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Ooooh... I'll play!

*goes off to think of a character*

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#24 Old 09-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds good, Kiz!

Y'all can start posting character data whenever you're ready. As soon as we have character info from everyone who has already responded, I'll start a post for the actual RP.

Please post character data here first, before you start posting in the actual RP. If you have any questions about what kind of character to use, feel free to PM me or post here.

Once we start the RP, hopefully we'll find a way to bring our characters together so they can interact. ^_^

Ideas for a title?

#25 Old 09-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Will the rp'ing be in the present or past tense?

ie "Kiz reads cyerna's post, and replies to it, hoping to get the information she requires"

"Kiz read cyrena's post carefully, then replied to it, hoping to get the information she wanted"

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#26 Old 09-09-2004, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm comfortable with either, so whatever is easiest for everyone is fine with me. I think it will work best if it's consistent, though, so everyone should do past or present, without a mixture of both, y'know?

#27 Old 09-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I definately vote for fantasy. *skips off to plan a character*
#28 Old 09-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, here's mine. Be gentle!!

Name: Sevy

Species: human - mercenary/thief/assassin

Physical Characteristics: Dark brown shoulder length hair, green eyes, tan skin, tall, slender but with well defined muscles

Skills/Abilities: melee combat (hand to hand and sword), stealth and agility. Good knowledge of medicinal herbal lore.

Backstory: Sevy was born in a small fishing village, which, when she was 12, was raided by pirates. She escaped with some other children into a nearby forest while the rest of the village was slaughtered. The children made their way to a city and she made a living picking pockets and stealing food. When she was 16 she joined a gang led by Jarro, a soldier who had deserted the king's army. He taught her how to fight and how to kill. She stayed with the gang until Jarro's death (cause of death unknown), then struck out on her own.
#29 Old 09-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

That's great, SilverC!

I'm so excited, I can't wait to get started! *hops around impatiently waiting for more characters*

#30 Old 09-10-2004, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Aww no new posts?!! I was looking forward to reading about characters all day!!

*hops around impatiently with Ceryna*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page