Do you ever realise halfway through a show that you actually hate it? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Crouton
  • 1 Post By Ad Elie
  • 1 Post By Spudulika

#1 Old 01-29-2016, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you ever realise halfway through a show that you actually hate it?

In the age of streaming TV shows, where every episode is lined up for you to watch I think I've become too much of a completionist when it comes to series.

I want to watch every single episode, in order, otherwise it doesn't feel complete to me.

But this desire has lead me to continue watching some TV shows that I realised I actually hate, just so I can have the sense of completion of finishing all episodes.

In particular, the TV show "Transparent". I watched all of season 1, and while I liked some parts, I felt I mostly didn't like it. Now I'm one episode away from finishing season 2, and I realised I not only didn't love season 2, but I have actively disliked most of it, to the point where it's making me uncomfortable to watch some episodes. Yet I still want to finish the last episode.

Does anyone else get so caught up in the desire to complete things like a TV show, movie, game or book, that they do so even after they realise they don't really like it?

Or is that just me haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2016, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope! No it's definitely not just you.

I hate coming to that crunch moment where you both have to admit that the series is just going no-where, the characters are boring and no-one is getting any more interesting, what you thought was funny several episodes ago now is now grating and predictable. Eh!

Sometimes we'll watch a series through to completion and swear off watching the next one, just because we don't want to be left wondering 'what happened' but sometimes it's simply too much of a drag, so we're typically a lot more ruthless these days.

I hate doing it though and it's only really recently that we've decided that it's just not worth hanging on in there.

Last edited by Spudulika; 01-29-2016 at 01:45 PM.
#3 Old 01-29-2016, 01:46 PM

Not with Natuto xD It's on Netflix btw...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-29-2016, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Not me. I sometimes get bored even with shows that I actually like! I never finished either Lost or Dexter despite the fact that I really enjoyed both.

[Note: I noticed that there was a typo in your title-- no "r" at the end of "ever"-- so I used my super mod powers to fix it, but now I'm wondering if that maybe wasn't ok. If you or any of the mods have a problem with it, please tell me and I'll not do that again.]

Last edited by no whey jose; 01-29-2016 at 01:51 PM.
#5 Old 01-29-2016, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
Nope! No it's definitely not just you.

I hate coming to that crunch moment where you both have to admit that the series is just going no-where, the characters are boring and no-one is getting any more interesting, what you thought was funny several episodes ago now is now grating and predictable. Eh!

Sometimes we'll watch a series through to completion and swear off watching the next one, just because we don't want to be left wondering 'what happened' but sometimes it's simply too much of a drag, so we're typically a lot more ruthless these days.

I hate doing it though and it's only really recently that we've decided that it's just not worth hanging on in there.
Yeah I need to start being more harsh with shows. Otherwise I will end up sitting through shows I hate just for the sake of completing them. ALTHOUGH, it has worked in my favour a few times. There's been some shows where I didn't like the first few episodes, or even the first whole season, but then started loving it after that. If I didn't stick through it in those cases I wouldn't have known I would like future episodes so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Not me. I sometimes get bored even with shows that I actually like! I never finished either Lost or Dexter despite the fact that I really enjoyed both.

[Note: I noticed that there was a typo in your title-- no "r" at the end of "ever"-- so I used my super mod powers to fix it, but now I'm wondering if that maybe wasn't ok. If you or any of the mods have a problem with it, please tell me and I'll not do that again.]
Haha no that's fine, it was a typo, thanks for fixing it. I've had some shows like that as well, that I really liked but just never got around to finishing because I got distracted. Battlestar Galactica is one of these.
no whey jose likes this.
#6 Old 01-29-2016, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, Battlestar Gallactica for me, too! It's so good but I never went back.
#7 Old 01-29-2016, 04:04 PM
Chaotic Vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
Does anyone else get so caught up in the desire to complete things like a TV show, movie, game or book, that they do so even after they realise they don't really like it?

Or is that just me haha.
Yes. I found Sense8 very very crappy but I was hoping it would get better so I watched and it was bad. I was also motivated by my partner who'd give massage during the boring episodes (as a reward for my mental sacrifice).

Dude, I see you posted a thread about reading less. Maybe if you really want to finish crappy series, you can put them in background while reading a book ^__^ or playing a videogame ^___^
no whey jose likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bon appétit !
#8 Old 01-29-2016, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Elie View Post
Yes. I found Sense8 very very crappy but I was hoping it would get better so I watched and it was bad. I was also motivated by my partner who'd give massage during the boring episodes (as a reward for my mental sacrifice).

Dude, I see you posted a thread about reading less. Maybe if you really want to finish crappy series, you can put them in background while reading a book ^__^ or playing a videogame ^___^
Oh, Sense8 with its endless expositions! How enervating
I think we got through about five or six. I always demand at least three episodes before I either axe or commit these days, but because it was the beloved Wachowski bros. we gave it an extension. Didn't help any though.
no whey jose likes this.
#9 Old 01-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Elie View Post

Haha, I loved Sense8, but I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone.

I can see where you going with the book thing, and I do sometimes play a TV show while I'm drawing or something like that, but I find it generally too hard to read and do anything else. Even a TV show I dislike. I'd end up getting too distracted from both the book and the TV show and not getting anything out of either.
#10 Old 01-29-2016, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't watch many TV shows but I will drop them very quickly.

When I watched the walking dead I liked it, but the last few episodes of season 1 were bad so I dropped it and never watched any episodes past season 1.

Orphan black season 1 was really good, episode 1 was especially good. Season 2 started off bad, stayed bad for like 4-5 episodes, then I dropped and and never looked at it again.
#11 Old 01-29-2016, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

No, once I decide I don't like a show, or don't like it any more, I just stop watching.
#12 Old 01-29-2016, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
I don't watch many TV shows but I will drop them very quickly.

When I watched the walking dead I liked it, but the last few episodes of season 1 were bad so I dropped it and never watched any episodes past season 1.

Orphan black season 1 was really good, episode 1 was especially good. Season 2 started off bad, stayed bad for like 4-5 episodes, then I dropped and and never looked at it again.
It's funny that you mention those two shows, because they are both shows where I kept watching even when I didn't like it, and then started to enjoy it again. I didn't like an entire season of the Walking Dead, but after that season finished I started loving it again. Same with Orphan Black, I got confused in some parts and didn't like them, but then other episodes I LOVED.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page