One Month till new season of Survivor - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 08-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Just a lil over a month for the next season of Survivor. Anyone planning on tuning in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2004, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow! I had no idea. This is the only show that I watch where I'd use the adjective "religiously."

*goes to rummage through the net to find tidbits*
#3 Old 08-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Found stuff!
Quote:
Waiting for SURVIVOR: VANUATU

Online Survivor fans may have as little as a week left in their race to identify this falls crop of contestants before CBS does it for them.

The lucky castaways will soon finish filming Survivor: Vanuatu in the Pacific, then await their flicker of fame. The program premieres at 8 p.m. Sept. 16. The spoiler-laden Web site SurvivorNews indicates that this season will feature 18 contestants, most likely in two tribes of nine (can you say gender imbalance?). This tidbit has popped up elsewhere, such as the Web site for gossip channel E!

SurvivorNews Web master Tim Gilman who appears to have a source inside the show, given his constant trickle of inside info and near-perfect track record in predicting the boot order each season has further piqued online fans interest with his amusing Contestants Confirmator. Think you know someone whos currently exchanging playful banter with Jeff Probst somewhere in the South Pacific? Simply plop his or her name into the Confirmator and see if youre right.

Thus far, 16 contestants names have been unofficially confirmed. From there, fans at Web communities such as at SurvivorSucks commence intense Google searches to match potential faces to the names. Thus far, contestants appear to include a Syracuse University student, a doctor, a Native American songwriter, and far too many actors/models. Reports indicate that contestants may hail from the Des Moines and Seattle areas (CBS called newspapers in those towns, and apparently others, to request a copy, ostensibly for a reward challenge). A thread at Sucks has compiled the work of countless online fans, featuring known information about the alleged contestants.

Whether this is all right or a wild goosechase won't be known until CBS releases the names and bios of the cast, likely to occur on the Aug. 16 Early Show. But as of this posting, only two spots on the Confirmators list have yet to be filled people with the first names of James and Brook (theres even a photo for Brook). If you think you know something, plug the info into the Confirmator and see what comes out.

Update: A teaser on CBS during Everybody Loves Raymond tonight mentioned there will indeed be 18 contestants on Vanuatu, not the standard 16.

Update 2: The alleged Brook has been named.

*goes to research Vanuatu*

Seems like a cool place! (Though I am getting bored of tropical islands.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I bet it is hard for them to find a semi remote place to do this show, and yet have rights to do it.

If they ever do a London Survivor... I am there
#5 Old 08-15-2004, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I will be tuning in of course.

I agree with the Islands. They should do one in the mountains somewhere. That would be a nice change in scenery.
#6 Old 08-15-2004, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Ahhhh.. a post I can really sink my teeth into!

I had no idea that Survivor was coming up again so soon. I'm still engrossed in The Amazing Race and Big Brother, two shows that I've never watched before this season but of course, I'm now addicted to!

I was a Survivor fan from episode one but found my interest lagging, especially with the All-Star version. While it was great to see all the old 'gang', I felt I already knew them and there weren't any surprises. I hope this next Survivor offers up some new and interesting challenges and twists.
#7 Old 08-15-2004, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSwab View Post

I will be tuning in of course.

I agree with the Islands. They should do one in the mountains somewhere. That would be a nice change in scenery.

I agree. Mountains would be great! Or like in the tropical Northwest US. They could do one of the shows in a rainy forested area! Or even in a desert. Just somewhere else! They're around season 8 I think and they've only had two seasons not on an island (Australia and Africa.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyCat View Post

I was a Survivor fan from episode one but found my interest lagging, especially with the All-Star version. While it was great to see all the old 'gang', I felt I already knew them and there weren't any surprises. I hope this next Survivor offers up some new and interesting challenges and twists.

I also found my interest lagging (though I also had no TV for two years) but unlike you the All-Star version got me back into the game! It was the best season, in my opinion.
#8 Old 08-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

the stuff they eat on that show is really gross

i don't watch it .........
#9 Old 08-15-2004, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

You guys scare me!
#10 Old 08-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

getting off the subject a lil, but still in the realistic tv realm. Has anyone viewed surreal life on VH1?
#11 Old 08-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Start your own thread, buddy! This is Survivor-land!
#12 Old 08-16-2004, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

Start your own thread, buddy! This is Survivor-land!

Back off, I started this thread
#13 Old 08-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Beginner

Damn, I wish I could see that. I love Survivor We get these shows months later in Finland and by that time I've known for a while who won
#14 Old 08-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I also am getting a little tired of tropical islands ... I wish they could do one in the mountains or in the arctic ... Unfortunately, the skin factor would virtually disappear. And we all know that the skin factor is part of the attraction. Hehe ...

Muzicfan - I haven't seen a Surreal Life thread yet, but just so you know - I've watched it a couple times ... Very interesting, to say the least.
#15 Old 08-16-2004, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

They should have a suggestion form for Survivor. Look at all of us who would like to see it in the mountains somewhere. They can even have the skin factor still, just tape it in the middle of the summer. Think of the challanges: kayaking on a river, swimming across a big lake, rock climbing...
#16 Old 08-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrsk View Post

Damn, I wish I could see that. I love Survivor We get these shows months later in Finland and by that time I've known for a while who won

Welcome to the land of www.suprnova.org and enjoy your stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSwab View Post

They should have a suggestion form for Survivor. Look at all of us who would like to see it in the mountains somewhere. They can even have the skin factor still, just tape it in the middle of the summer. Think of the challanges: kayaking on a river, swimming across a big lake, rock climbing...

That would be great.

...And honestly, which of our National Parks in the US wouldn't want that kind of coverage? They could do it anywhere they wanted. Or, I'm thinking Aleutian Islands would be pretty... cool.
#17 Old 08-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Look what I dug up on a Survivor website:
Quote:
The Tribe names. We have it from a reliable source that the tribe names are: Tasi and Rua (local language for the numbers one and two) - just as exciting, are the colours; black and white.

Black and white is pretty odd, huh? Perhaps there's a good versus bad aspect in this season?

Check this out too - it's tomorrow:
Quote:
"SURVIVOR: VANUATU -- ISLANDS OF FIRE"

CAST ANNOUNCEMENT TO BE BROADCAST ON CBS NEWS' "THE EARLY SHOW" TUESDAY, AUG. 17

CBS News' THE EARLY SHOW will provide the first look at the new castaways of SURVIVOR: VANUATU -- ISLANDS OF FIRE on Tuesday, Aug. 17 (7:00-9:00 AM, ET/PT) on The CBS Television Network. EARLY SHOW anchor Julie Chen will announce the two teams, and Rob Mariano and Amber Brkich from SURVIVOR: ALL-STARS will be on hand to handicap the contestants. The ninth installment of the hit reality series debuts on Thursday, Sept. 16 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on The CBS Television Network.

Finally! A reason to get up in the morning!

Oh man, let me edit this one more time - There are 18 people this season and it's rumored that there are 2 tribes. That means two teams of 9. Does that mean that it's females versus males again? Or is there a sex inbalance?

So exciting!
#18 Old 08-17-2004, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Ooh ... black and white buffs ... I liked the whole pirate theme a couple seasons back; it was something different.

"Islands of Fire" ... so dramatic ...

Would they really be able to do it anywhere in the US? Wouldn't the site get mobbed way too much? I know they could have security, but I'm sure people would get in and cause problems.
#19 Old 08-17-2004, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Vanuatu is a very cool place! I would love to visit sometime. I'm looking forward to the season for that part alone!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#20 Old 08-17-2004, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, it seems that Survivor website I was getting the info from is entirely incorrect! Here's the latest and official:

ETA: No, only partially incorrect. This article refers to a tribe of "8 men" yet there are 18 people listed at the bottom.
Quote:
"Survivor: Vanuatu" Cast Announced

by Lia Haberman

Aug 17, 2004, 11:30 AM PT

Survivor: The Sexual Tension continues.

CBS announced its newest batch of castaways this morning destined to be stranded on the South Pacific island of Vanuatu--Islands of Fire. And continuing a tradition the show kicked off in season six, it will be men versus women when the Lopevi tribe (Mars) struggles to outwit, outplay and outlast the Yasur tribe (Venus).

a d v e r t i s e m e n t

For now, the talent pool seems a dead heat. Among the tribe of eight men is an FBI agent--which seems useful for decoding stuff--and a drill sergeant, who probably thrives on little food and a bad night's sleep. The women's camp includes a rancher and a sheep farmer, which should come in handy if there are any edible creatures to be wrangled.

Both sides also have eye candy. There's Ami Cusack, a model and barista (that's coffee shop clerk in plain English), and John Kenney, a model and mechanical bull operator. Oh, the possibilities. But it's not all chaps and buff bods. Other contestants include a California teacher whose right calf was amputated, a finance manager from New Jersey and a real-estate agent from New Orleans.

The drama will all play out against Vanuatu's balmy background, which typically serves as host to scuba divers and honeymooners. But don't let the sandy beaches and beautiful water fool you, warns CBS. A statement from the net refers to the area as "the tumultuous Ring of Fire, a land of volcanoes and rituals where sorcery and black magic are a part of tribal life and the spirits of the dead are believed to have power over the living."

Um, okay, if you say so.

The Eye network also warns of a tribal history that includes cannibalism, which could hint at a creepy challenge involving lots of slimy stuff to be ingested. Bon appetit, suckers.

And like the gender divide, the South Pacific is also something of a do-over location, just a few hundred miles from season four's Marquesas' islands. Having already exhausted the South China Seas, the Australian outback, Kenya, Thailand, the Amazon and Panama's pirate coast, casting agents may be running out of tropical locations to strand the castaways.

Here's a quick rundown of the 18 chosen to get intimately acquainted over badly cooked rice and a poorly built fire:

Julie Berry, 23, youth mentor from Gorham, Maine

Ami Cusack, 31, barista and model from Lakewood, Colorado

Mia Galeotalanza, 30, finance manager from Tom's River, New Jersey

Lisa Keiffer, 44, real estate agent from New Orleans

Scout Cloud Lee, 59, rancher/entrepreneur from Stillwater, Oklahoma

Leann Slaby, 35, research assistant from Kansasville, Wisconsin

Dolly Neely, 25, sheep farmer from Mercer, Pennsylvania

Eliza Orlins, 21, pre-law student from Syracuse, New York

Twila Tanner, 41, highway repair worker from Marshall, Missouri

Chad Crittenden, 35, teacher from Oakland

Chris Daugherty, 33, highway construction worker from South Vienna, Ohio

Brady Finta, 33, FBI agent/ex-military from Huntington Beach, California

Rory Freeman, 35, housing case manager from Des Moines, Iowa

Brook Geraghty, 27, from Winthrop, Massachusetts

John Kenney, 22, mechanical bull operator/model from Los Angeles

Lea "Sarge" Masters, 40, drill sergeant from Columbia, South Carolina

John Palyok, 31, Home Depot sales manager from Los Angeles

Travis "Bubba" Sampson, 33, from Johnson City, Tennessee

The ninth season of sneaky alliances, restrictive rations, harsh elements and Jeff Probst will premiere with a special two-hour episode Sept. 16 on CBS.

#21 Old 08-17-2004, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Right calf amputated, does that mean the whole lower part of the leg?
#22 Old 08-17-2004, 11:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I would imagine so...

interesting that they bring up the cannibal factor. it's true, until relatively recently, cannibalism was a common practice in Vanuatu... Vanuatu is also a major source of very potent Kava Kava... could be an interesting season!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#23 Old 08-17-2004, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I am glad they have someone that is slightly challenged physically. I will be that persons cheerleader.

I am glad some of the shows are allowing "challenged" individuals. I was getting tired of the barbie/ken "fit" hollywood kinda profiles. With the individuals that have life challenges, makes it more life like. Amazing Race has someone that is height challenged, to put it nicely, and she is kicking butt.
#24 Old 09-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Less than 2 weeks to go!
#25 Old 09-03-2004, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I love Survivor! I voted about 100 times for Ruper to win that million dollars, he is so awesome. But it starts on September 16th according to the CBS Web site and the radio commercial I heard the other day... that's just weeks away.
#26 Old 09-03-2004, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted for Shii-Ann - she's my girl!
#27 Old 09-03-2004, 06:01 PM
Administrator

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#28 Old 09-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

#29 Old 09-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw a sneak peek into the season tonight, it was a TV Guide show, and Amber was hosting. It looks interesting again this year.
#30 Old 09-06-2004, 03:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe this is old news, but the site is up!

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivo...?q1=3&x=10&y=2

Detailed descriptions on each of the characters are what's on there for now.

On looks alone here are my guesses!

The person I dislike the most: Lea

First off: Lisa

Winner: Mia
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page