Computer/Consule Games - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-02-2004, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I wanted to started a thread on gaming just to see what other people are into.

I have a PS2 and a computer that is now reaching its limits in runing new games as it is a 3 yeard old laptop that i got for school. Ill probable be building a gaming rig within the month built to run Doom 3, Half Life 2, WoW, EQ2...

Anyway the only game i am playing now is NCAA Football 2005 for my PS2 since i dont have a good internet connection this summer for online games. NCAA Football is great and I am having a blast. As computer games go i believe my favorite genre in MMORPG's as i spent 2 years playing EQ and really enjoyed that game. I have also beta tested 2 other MMO's encluding Lineage 2. I also enjoy msot FPS games. My fav FPS of all tiem beign Half Life and favorite mutliplayer being Counter-strike which i have played for 5 years on and off. Also i am hooked on the Diablo and Warcraft series of games as they are simply amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never got into computer gaming, but I do spend a lot of time playing my PS2. I most enjoy action/adventure or platform-adventure.
#3 Old 08-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

The only problem I have with those type of PS2 games is the replay value of them is rather low and i cant justify spending the moeny on a game ill play once thhrough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, most of them though do give you reasons to replay multiple times (at least for me). EG, in Sly Cooper after you beat the game, you then get to listen to a director's commentary while you're playing through game a second time (actually a third time, as you have to beat Time Trials first). Or in Ratchet and Clank, a new aresonal of weapons open up after you beat the game, and there are new areas to explore. And I always have to go back and get all the skill points and all the hidden things. I'm playing Jak and Daxter now. I usually buy the games used, so cost isn't too bad, unless a game is so good that I have to have it right away (eg, Prince of Persia). And I almost always rent or download a game or game demo to check it out and see if I like it first before buying it.
#5 Old 08-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Banned

I usually get obsessive over one game for extended periods of time. For about a year and a half it was Baldur's Gate 2. (Greate inter-character interaction.) Currently I'm going though the Neverwinter Nights expansion packs.

I don't have a console right now but I have considered it.
#6 Old 08-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I've got a gamecube, I've always been a Nintendo fanatic, but I find ways around paying much for the games I also play PC games, but lately I just can't run the more advanced ones. I'm a Doom fanatic, and I'm dying to play Doom 3, so It seems like I'm just going to spend a lot more time at my friends' houses with the good computers.
#7 Old 08-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Currently I'm going though the Neverwinter Nights expansion packs.

What did you think of Neverwinter? I played it and i jsut found it rather repetative and couldnt gete into it. While i did enjoy the storyline and interaction with the townsfolk I couldnt bring myself to continue the repetition.
#8 Old 08-04-2004, 03:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a few computer games, but I suppose I am more of a console gamer. I generally am a fan of RPG's. On PS/PS2, I can't think of any game series I enjoy so much as the Final Fantasy series. I did enjoy Suikoden, for its originality. However, the last game I really got into was Star Wars KOTOR. Loved it, and I loved the freedom of choice that ran pretty much through the whole game. I won it playing both extremes: the ultra-good guy, and the ultra-evil one. I played a little original Baldur's Gate, but I kept getting obliterated at the same point early on in the game. I got irritated and quit. I am not too into most sports games, but I can say that they are starting to look really good and realistic. I think the last one I got into was NHL '95 on Sega Genesis, the one with the fighting and the blood (as seen in Swingers). I am still looking for a good computer game. I tend to shy away from online games; Seems silly to me to pay for a game then have to turn around to pay to play it.
#9 Old 08-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

One of the best games I've played is I-War (released somewhere between 1993 and 2000 I think). It was an almost ridiculously complex and detailed spaceship simulator (when compared to others that had decent graphics). Each mission - and there were quite an amount of them - was long and usually had surprises. You had always something to do on the ship: from playing with the speed options, to choosing what to repair, to the remote control function with which you could guide other spacecraft. There was some large database on board that you could browse, etc. etc. But all these were just ingredients of what was the most important thing: the very strong feeling of "being there" that it conveyed.

But the game was really hard. Already in the training missions you had to attach your spacecraft to some box floating in space and speed your vessel and then release the box just so it would fly through a ring, which was pretty difficult. And there were no saves in the missions.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#10 Old 08-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

I usually get obsessive over one game for extended periods of time.

I do this, too, but only with sports games. Right now it's Tiger Woods on NGC. Before that: Tony Hawk Underground (brilliant game).

Mario Kart Doubledash is the greatest game ever.
#11 Old 08-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyVT View Post

What did you think of Neverwinter? I played it and i jsut found it rather repetative and couldnt gete into it. While i did enjoy the storyline and interaction with the townsfolk I couldnt bring myself to continue the repetition.

Mixed feelings. I love the character skills development of 3rd ed. Some of the quest plots were good, others not so good. I miss the between-character interactions of the BG series.
#12 Old 08-04-2004, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Steele View Post

I do this, too, but only with sports games. Right now it's Tiger Woods on NGC. Before that: Tony Hawk Underground (brilliant game).

Mario Kart Doubledash is the greatest game ever.

I'll second that statement on Tony Hawk games. I love them. My favorite of all time is probably Tony Hawk 2 though. So many good memories, me and my friends spent practically all of 8th grade playing that game.

I haven't played the new Mario Kart yet, but I've heard a lot of people say it's no where near as good as the N64 or SNES versions.
#13 Old 08-04-2004, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I haven't played the new Mario Kart yet, but I've heard a lot of people say it's no where near as good as the N64 or SNES versions.

You can't jump anymore

Not enough head to head levels.

But other then that i think it is extremely fun. My roommate has it and e have played it a couple weeknights while getting drunk.
#14 Old 08-04-2004, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyVT View Post

You can't jump anymore

Not enough head to head levels.

Agreed and agreed. The battle modes really are a bit disapointing. Still fun IF you have more than 2 players.
#15 Old 08-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

i love console/computer games...I have a nes, snes, gamecube, and an Xbox... games are far too numerous to go into (literally boxes/shelves full).. I play games over and over...racing games, rpg, mario. There is even some charm to bad dudes... anyone remember that game???

edited to add... sorry also have a dreamcast and a reg playstation.
#16 Old 08-04-2004, 03:37 PM

Neverwinter Nights is a great game. The single player campaigns aren't so great, but the real gem for it is the user-created content. Some of that stuff is amazing. At nwvault.ign.com they have a ton of user created stuff.

I have a Xbox, GameCube, and Dreamcast at the moment, but I'm trying to collect every console eventually. I play old games(NES & SNES mostly) on my PC and Dreamcast. My favorite genres are FPS, Action, and RPG.
#17 Old 08-04-2004, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystmDwnGrl2 View Post

i love console/computer games...I have a nes, snes, gamecube, and an Xbox... games are far too numerous to go into (literally boxes/shelves full).. I play games over and over...racing games, rpg, mario. There is even some charm to bad dudes... anyone remember that game???

edited to add... sorry also have a dreamcast and a reg playstation.

The president has been captured by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the him?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page