You guys ever heard about Truth Contest? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Capstan
  • 1 Post By Capstan

#1 Old 07-12-2015, 04:40 PM

You guys ever heard about Truth Contest?

Kinda strange book, really. Nevertheless, very interesting.

Quote:
Immortality: “It’s impossible to be conscious of being unconscious.”

You are reading this book, so you are conscious (alive). This means you have always been conscious and always will be, because it is not possible for you to be aware of being dead (unconscious). You cannot be aware of not being aware, you cannot be conscious of being unconscious. You can be less conscious (sleep/coma), but not completely unconscious, because time would stand still for you. A billion years could pass, and you would not know it. You cannot be aware of any gaps in life; it is continuous and never ending from your own point of view.
excerpt from The Present at TruthContest.com

So, what do guys think? Bull**** or nay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-12-2015, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

...the point is what?
#3 Old 07-12-2015, 05:17 PM
Impeach the gangster

The writer makes the assumption that being dead means being unconscious, but this is something no living person can know. Perhaps unconsciousness is merely a failure to remember our experiences while separate from a waking state, but this is no proof that nothing ever happened, is it? What about dreams? Are dreams a product of the conscious mind, or the unconscious? Or, if dreams are a bridge between the two, doesn't that suggest there is something in the unconscious state the waking mind can relate to?

The writer seems intent on demonstrating that nothing is a viable commodity, yet "nature abhors a vacuum."- Aristotle
Shallot likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-12-2015, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

So, if being dead is like being unconcious and being truly unconscious means that time stands still for you, does that mean that dead bodies that degenerate/break down over time weren't truly unconcious?
#5 Old 07-13-2015, 04:32 PM

@Capstan
I feel you. Consciousness really is something of our brain, though. You ever had full anaesthesia? If consciousness wasn't a physical thing, it wouldn't make sense that we could "deactivate" it.
If some parts of brain, indeed, create consciousness and our brain is destroyed when we die, then maybe it would make sense?
@Tiger Lilly
Oh no. I will use the anaesthesia argument one more time. We can sense the passing of time by consciousness; we can know that because, without it (full anaesthesia), we have no conscious experience, we don't sense the passing of time. When you were under full anaesthesia, you didn't know you were unconscious. Bodies are only that, bodies. It's all about your own consciousness.
When you are deep asleep, you do not sense the passing of time. You're not conscious that you are sleeping. Time still passes, you just can't sense it, get it?

I think the author's whole point is:
Consciousness is created by the brain > our brain is destroyed when we die > therefore, we have no consciousness when we die. Deductive thinking, I guess, but I'm not so sure.
#6 Old 07-13-2015, 06:29 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenO's View Post
@Capstan
Consciousness really is something of our brain, though.

I think the author's whole point is:
Consciousness is created by the brain > our brain is destroyed when we die > therefore, we have no consciousness when we die. Deductive thinking, I guess, but I'm not so sure.
Who's to say consciousness requires a brain to exist? For all we know, consciousness merely uses the physical brain, when it wants to relate to and have sensory input from this particular universe. Who's to say, when we're unconscious, we're not romping through another universe, maybe even using a different brain to experience that place? That we don't remember it on 'this side' may only be due to a limitation of this side's brain(s). Consciousness itself may be a form of life that is free of three or four physical dimensions, and doesn't require them.

The problem with physical science is, it requires physical evidence in order to draw conclusions; however, it is illogical to assume that, in the absence of evidence, nothing is possible. Science needs to acknowledge its own limitations, and accept that its own inability to make observations does not rule out the possibility of what isn't proven. I have a measure of respect for science, but I do not accept assertions such as, "There is no evidence; therefore, it's not possible!" That's baloney. Your and the article's assertions that consciousness is a product of the brain, which implies that consciousness itself has physical properties, is not known to be either true nor false, and until there is actual evidence, I prefer to keep an open mind on the subject.
varun likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page