My Favourite Actors
Not everyone in Hollywood are talented actors, in fact most of them are terrible specially the overrated ones, but there are a few actors who have made American movies worth it and the following are the actors in my view who can be termed as great. My knowledge of black & white movie era is zero, and I'm assuming that natural acting with better storylines came perhaps in the mid 70's-80's? Everyone are free to make their own lists her.
1) Robert De Niro : From a boxer to a frail old man De Niro has done it all, he has been typecast as a mafia boss one too many times but I never get bored of seeing his acting, its flawless even if the story is terrible. He plays dual roles where the character's motive is hidden till the end with convincing ease. Due to the experience and range of movies he's done De Niro is GOAT on my list.
2) Sean Penn : He isn't the nicest guy in person but as an actor he just whacks it out of the park every single time. Though not a method actor he does true justice to his roles be it a mentally challenged individual, a drag queen, a politician or a villain. Not playing enough movies as the central character and bad choice of roles are the only reasons why he's number 2 in the list.
3) Christian Bale : Again a brilliant actor who has the potential to be right on top, a method actor who really tries too hard to make the character come through. He brought down his weight to 122lbs for The Machinist and later increased it to 200 lbs for the Batman trilogy within 6 months. I like expressive acting and he did just that in movies like American Psycho & The Prestige. However plenty of bad role choices ensure that he isn't as famous a name as say Tom Cruise or Leonardo DiCaprio (both of whom cant reach one billionth his level of acting). Bale is definitely a future GOAT.
4) Morgan Freeman : The one actor who has stayed away from being typecast, his roles vary with every movie and he did all of them with ease. There hasn't been one particular movie where he blew everyone away but neither has he ever done a bad job either, so number 4 it is for consistency
5) Kevin Spacey : Be it a comedy role, playing a villain or just a dad next door, Kevin Spacey does it well, sure his expressions are not as great as the actors above but it doesn't matter as long as he brings the story to life and he does.
6) Liam Neeson : Again an actor with great potential who's fallen victim to playing the same roles again & again. Nevertheless his acting is good, the most unlikely action hero in the past decade but he does a far better job than most of the modern ones. Taken was his first movie I saw and I never realized he is 6'4 tall from the scenes.
7) Gene Hackman : Seen only a few movies but I liked what I saw, a very capable actor if not always the hero or central character of the movie
8) Christopher Reeve : Yes he made other movies apart from Superman, I somehow felt he had acting potential even though I didn't like Superman very much and I dug up his other roles. He was an all-American actor and did full justice to all his roles.
9) Will Smith : Many may cringe at the mention of Will Smith in a top 10 list but I do find he acts fine, be it comedy/action/emotional roles. He chose way too many big budget action roles that became epic flops as an actor and that should be his only fault.
10) Bill Murray : A most unlikely great actor but he is, that's why he is underrated.
I'm going to get flamed for this but I do not like Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, Leo Dicaprio, Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt etc.. all average at best.
Some female actors I feel do a great job : Anne Hathaway, Mila Kunis, Scarlett Johansson, Sandra Bullock, Jodie Foster, Kristen Stewart (apart from Twilight). Psst : not a Meryl Streep fan.
The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.
Last edited by varun; 05-21-2015 at 07:59 AM.