• 1 Post By varun
  • 1 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By varun

#1 Old 05-11-2015, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Talking Sitcoms/Comedy Shows

I'm surprised with the majority members in here being American, that such a thread hasn't come up already. Name/rank your favourite sitcoms, doesn't necessarily have to be current ones (all sitcoms in the past decade are poor anyway). Here goes my ranking :

1) Seinfeld (this one wins by a mile due to its slapstick comedy & timing & mostly clean content). It also helps that Jerry Seinfeld is shown as a character with not much passion for food/meat. Its ranked the No.1 American show of all time for a reason. Comedic value - 10/10

2) Curb Your Enthusiasm - from the co-creator of Seinfeld comes another masterpiece, this time with f words flying all over the place. The content is absolutely edgy, offensive to just about anybody, and it leverages on every stereotype of every race or gender possible.. all the ingredients for gut-hurting comedy. I had tears in my eyes laughing from this one, a close 2nd place to Seinfeld. P.S This is not a sitcom, its a multi-camera show and the quality is absolutely brilliant. It needs no live audience laughing to enhance its comedy. Comedic value - 20/10

11) Becker - Take a situation featuring a brilliantly cranky doctor, a mothering nurse working with an immature assistant and a bunch of friends best termed as eccentric and we get quite a good laugh or two from it. Ted Danson carries the series through solely on his own. Comedic value 8/10

12) That 70's Show - Not much of a comedy but it grows on you & every teenager might relate to it in some way or another. Its a fusion of slapstick/immature actions & parental trouble that creates some comedy. On the whole its quite memorable. Comedic value 6/10

13) King of Queens - Though not veggie-friendly, the series is good for a few laughs overall purely based on the chemistry of the characters . Comedic value -8/10

14) Simpsons - The only cartoon series to make it on the list, it exploits mostly American
family stereotypes and exaggerates on them till its funny enough. Comedic value 8/10

15) Two & a Half Men - Only until Charlie Sheen lasts does this series have relevance. I sometimes found the over-emphasis on casual-sex irritating but on the whole thanks to the chemistry it did do well the first few seasons. More than half the seasons in the end are pure garbage. Comedic value 9/10

16) Big Bang Theory - Though not a typical comedy it has its funny parts. Its a geekfest for the most part with mix of romance infused. Comedic value 6/10

17) Modern Family - Again not comedy, its more situational based rather than timing based leveraging on family chemistry. Comedic value - 2/10

18) Friends - In my opinion the most overrated comedy of all time, its more of a romance soap about 6 people. It has some good parts overall just not as a comedy. Comedic value - 0/10

P.s - I intentionally left 3-10 blank because the top 2 are just that good.
no whey jose likes this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't watch a lot of TV but here are some comedy sitcoms I've seen and enjoyed:

Big Bang Theory, Married With Children, Golden Girls, How I Met Your Mother.
I have also watched about 5 seasons of the Friends sitcom. I didn't dislike it, but at times I got the feeling that they tried too hard in some of the "funny" moments. I know a lot of people compare How I Met Your Mother with Friends, but I enjoyed HIMYM significantly more.
I also tried to watch Community, but couldn't get into it.

Edit: I forgot Corner Gas. Popular Canadian sitcom. One of my favourites.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 05-11-2015 at 10:27 PM.
#3 Old 05-11-2015, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Does It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia count as a sitcom? If so that's my favourite.
no whey jose likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-11-2015, 10:42 PM
Impeach the gangster

Frasier. It's been the most honored- Emmys and so forth- sitcom ever, and not without reason. Frasier started to suffer with poor writing after its seventh season, and sort of went out with a whimper, but for a long time, it was the best on TV.

The Big Bang Theory. It did a lot of what Frasier did: juxtaposed the sophisticated with the ridiculous, and got a lot of good laughs out of it. But like Frasier too, now it's into its eighth season, the writing is getting rather weak. Maybe there's a statute of limitations on how long a sitcom can be good?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#5 Old 05-12-2015, 02:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I may be one of the only five people in the world who didn't like Seinfeld...at all!

Love Frasier, Friends, Golden Girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#6 Old 05-12-2015, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with @varun on Curb Your Enthusiasm and Modern Family. I'd also like to recommend Arrested Development. It's genuinely the funniest sitcom I've seen, and it's available for streaming on Netflix.

My favourite sitcom at the moment is the British sitcom Peep Show, which follows the daily misfortunes of two "odd couple" type bachelors sharing a flat, as viewed through their eyes. David Mitchell and Robert Webb are hilarious in everything they do-- you can watch David Mitchell's short Soapbox segments on YouTube to get a feel for his style of comedy.

I'll also plug the British sitcom The IT Crowd, which is like The Big Bang Theory, only it's actually funny. It's about the three-person IT department who work in the basement of a big company, and relies heavily on absurd humour.
varun likes this.
#7 Old 05-12-2015, 03:09 AM
Veggie Regular

@no whey jose if you like Curb then you can watch Seinfeld as well, some episodes aren't as funny but most of them are on par with Curb. Here the character of George Costanza is based off Larry David and played by a far better actor Jason Alexander. The actual reason the 2nd show was named "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is because after coming off a monster hit like Seinfeld and with Jerry himself not in it, Larry wanted to let the fans know to keep their hopes down for this one.

Arrested Development is quite good too, takes awhile to build up but ends on a strongly funny note. The writers did not hesitate to make it controversial and that's always a good sign.

Last edited by varun; 05-12-2015 at 03:12 AM.
#8 Old 05-12-2015, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

@varun Oh, Seinfeld is a classic for sure! I grew up watching it. It's just that it seems a bit dated now, and I've never been a big fan of Jerry himself. I feel like Curb has all the appeal of Seinfeld (and even some of the same jokes) with a modern feel and some great cameos.
varun likes this.
#9 Old 05-12-2015, 03:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Lol that's just what I love about Seinfeld, the pure simplicity and the dated feel.. those times were absolutely great for comedy. Remember the episode where Jerry, Elaine, George & Kramer go around in circles looking for each other in a movie theatre? If one exited the backdoor another entered from the front and they missed the whole movie in the process. Same for the parking garages episode.

Imagine the same thing today - take out the phones *clickety click* *swipe swipe* and everyone knows where each other are, no frustration no confusion, nothing. Worse yet imagine such a situation in Big Bang Theory where they'd put each others phones on GPS tracking or worse yet use IR goggles or somethin & such simplistic comedy is dead.
no whey jose likes this.

#10 Old 05-12-2015, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun View Post
Lol that's just what I love about Seinfeld, the pure simplicity and the dated feel.. those times were absolutely great for comedy. Remember the episode where Jerry, Elaine, George & Kramer go around in circles looking for each other in a movie theatre? If one exited the backdoor another entered from the front and they missed the whole movie in the process. Same for the parking garages episode.

Imagine the same thing today - take out the phones *clickety click* *swipe swipe* and everyone knows where each other are, no frustration no confusion, nothing. Worse yet imagine such a situation in Big Bang Theory where they'd put each others phones on GPS tracking or worse yet use IR goggles or somethin & such simplistic comedy is dead.
That's a very good point! A lot of the comedic situations in old movies and tv shows wouldn't work with our modern technology.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page