VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Entertainment Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/18-entertainment-forum/)
-   -   Fictional vegetarians (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/18-entertainment-forum/173642-fictional-vegetarians.html)

rasitha.wijesekera 03-21-2015 12:42 AM

Fictional vegetarians

I thought of discussing fictional vegetarian characters! it seemed to me like they are coming out more and more.

http://www.tvacres.com/vegetarians.htm

I also remember that Carrie mathison from Homeland is also a vegetarian. Vegans are still too unsexy to come to the screen yet. Hopefully the tides will turn!

rasitha.wijesekera 03-21-2015 12:44 AM

Fictional vegetarians

Most notable ones from the list(to me at least)

Doctor who
Phoebe (friends)
Lisa Simpson
Spock

no whey jose 03-21-2015 07:46 AM

The Doctor isn't vegetarian. His favorite food was fish fingers with custard!

David3 03-21-2015 08:40 AM

In the limited edition "Superman: Birthright" comic book series, Superman is depicted as a vegetarian:

"In this series, Clark has the power to see the "aura" that surrounds all living things and fades away at the moment of death, something not shown in the Man of Steel mini-series. Clark can literally "see" when a person or animal dies, an experience that he finds profoundly disturbing. Because of this, Clark refuses to take a life, making him a vegetarian".

This series is not considered canonical, and Superman is not considered to be vegetarian outside of this limited edition series.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_Birthright

David3 03-21-2015 08:49 AM

In the New York Times #1 bestseller, "The Fault in Our Stars", the main character, Hazel Lancaster, is a vegetarian. This novel debuted at #1 on the New York Times Bestseller List for Children's Chapter Books, and remained there for 7 weeks.

In the movie version of the book, Hazel Lancaster is not depicted as a vegetarian, unfortunately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fault_in_Our_Stars

David3 03-21-2015 09:10 AM

Francesca Lia Block, recipient of the American Library Association's Margaret Edwards Award, has written several novels with vegetarian characters.

Fan art of Ms. Block's characters from her novel series, "Dangerous Angels":

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs31/i/20...OVEwarrior.jpg

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie. Witch Baby's stomach growled but she didn't leave her hiding place. Instead, she listened to the reggae, surf, soul and salsa, tugged at the snarl balls in her hair and snapped pictures of all the couples.”
Francesca Lia Block, Witch Baby

silva 03-21-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no whey jose (Post 3596434)
The Doctor isn't vegetarian. His favorite food was fish fingers with custard!

Whether the Doctor was vegan or not was dependent on the writer of the time, F.U. Moffat, the current writer, is my least favorite.

natty6 03-21-2015 12:04 PM

The doctor is a bit of a hypocrite, talking about valuing all lives great or small, then demanding bacon, which we saw cooked from raw so clearly not plant based.

The elves in the Eragon series were vegetarian, and the main character becomes vegetarian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

no whey jose 03-21-2015 02:44 PM

Which Doctors were vegan? I've only seen the new series. Now I'm trying to think back to what they all ate. Eccleston liked bananas and chips, I remember...

Trippy 03-21-2015 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no whey jose (Post 3596770)
Which Doctors were vegan? I've only seen the new series. Now I'm trying to think back to what they all ate. Eccleston liked bananas and chips, I remember...

He was a vegetarian in Classic Who. I think it was specifically Doctors 3-5, but I might be wrong. Moffat made a few references to that when Matt Smith was the Doctor, but 11 wasn't a vegetarian.

rasitha.wijesekera 03-21-2015 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natty6 (Post 3596602)
The doctor is a bit of a hypocrite, talking about valuing all lives great or small, then demanding bacon, which we saw cooked from raw so clearly not plant based.

The elves in the Eragon series were vegetarian, and the main character becomes vegetarian.

You know who the biggest jerks are? Dr. dolittle and Eliza from the thornberries.

They can talk to animals for gods sakes. They had bunch of animal friends. And they didn't even consider that the meat they are eating comes from the animals like the ones they talk to everyday.

Trippy 03-21-2015 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera (Post 3597138)
You know who the biggest jerks are? Dr. dolittle and Eliza from the thornberries.

They can talk to animals for gods sakes. They had bunch of animal friends. And they didn't even consider that the meat they are eating comes from the animals like the ones they talk to everyday.

YES!! This always bothered me about Eliza Thornberry. :( And I wonder how Darwin felt about that....

Everly 03-22-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera (Post 3597138)

YES!

I looked for years before finding a reliable vegan animal communicator. (Often called, pejoratively, an animal or pet psychic.) It was impossible for me to trust information about animals from someone who ate them. I finally found one many years ago and have the deepest respect for her. Now I'm an animal communicator and believe me, they know I don't eat them.

There's a well-known animal communicator who actually says the animals are happy to be eaten by humans. Seriously. I can't even write more about that without my head exploding. She also claims to be one of the pioneers in animal communication, but she's far from that.

Point is, for those interested, don't consult with an animal communicator who also eats them. There are more vegetarian and vegan communicators now, although they aren't abundant.

dropscone 03-22-2015 10:12 AM

Harold Bishop from Neighbours.

rasitha.wijesekera 03-22-2015 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dropscone (Post 3597682)
Harold Bishop from Neighbours.

Is that one of the aliens? does he say why he's veg?

Beautiful Joe 03-23-2015 07:35 AM

Martha Grimes, who is best known for her Richard Jury series of mysteries, has written two books featuring Andi Olivier, a tough and tenacious teenage girl with a mysterious past who is an animal activist and vegetarian - Biting the Moon and Dakota.

Margaret Atwood's dystopian trilogy (Oryx and Crake, The Year of the Flood, MaddAddam) have some vegetarian characters.

LeThieu92 03-23-2015 08:04 AM

Pheobe!!!!!!! Phoebe phoebe!!!!! I loved her not for her vegetarianism but because she was the funniest friend hehehehe but the veg part was just icing on the cake!!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Grace Steps 03-23-2015 10:34 AM

Temperance "Bones" Brennan From the TV show Bones :)
I liked watching her talk about it and the progression to a vegetarian because of the way pigs are slaughtered and other animals. The actress playing her is Emily Deschanel who is vegan and a animal rights activist so maybe the character will go Vegan soon :)

Grace

natty6 03-24-2015 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grace Steps (Post 3598706)
Temperance "Bones" Brennan From the TV show Bones :)
I liked watching her talk about it and the progression to a vegetarian because of the way pigs are slaughtered and other animals. The actress playing her is Emily Deschanel who is vegan and a animal rights activist so maybe the character will go Vegan soon :)

Grace

Emily Deschanel actually makes the show put in little animal rights messages into the show every now and then, like the episode where they had to investigate a chicken farm that raised chickens in horrible conditions and had protesters lined up outside. During the murder investigation bones and booth come across several of the terrible practices like debeaking.

The movie 7 Pounds has
a vegan and also a vegetarian who has a vegetarian dog.

erilol 04-08-2015 08:41 PM

Apu from the Simpsons is also a vegan. Adam and Eve were supposedly vegan in the Garden of Eden.

Jasminedesi16 04-17-2015 09:59 AM

There are many Bollywood films with main characters who are vegetarian. Actually I can think of so many example it would be very long list lol In the film Zero Dark Thirty, it is never mentioned but the main character seems to eat vegetarian food. One scene she is eating peanut-butter and jelly, another scene she is eating just plain french fries and one scene a piece of toast with nothing on it. I think this might be because the actress is a vegetarian but still it was funny how they showed you what she was eating lol.

Rebecca623 04-17-2015 11:27 AM

Laurel from the book Wings is a faerie so she is vegan!

erilol 04-19-2015 10:39 AM

Draculaura (vampire teen) from Monster High movies/show is a vegan vampire

BiteSizeVegan 04-19-2015 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera (Post 3596202)
I thought of discussing fictional vegetarian characters! it seemed to me like they are coming out more and more.

http://www.tvacres.com/vegetarians.htm

I also remember that Carrie mathison from Homeland is also a vegetarian. Vegans are still too unsexy to come to the screen yet. Hopefully the tides will turn!

it is rather frustrating that vegans are always portrayed as obnoxious or hippies or what have you :(

erilol 04-20-2015 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiteSizeVegan (Post 3619794)
it is rather frustrating that vegans are always portrayed as obnoxious or hippies or what have you :(

lol, like in every Mike Judge production.

I still love Beavis and Butthead and King of the Hill though.

Jasminedesi16 04-28-2015 12:19 PM

In the Vow, the main girl character was vegetarian. After she loses her memory there is one scene where she eats bacon and her husband tells her stop because she doesn't eat meat. It wasn't a great movie though. In "The Last Song" Miley Cyrus's character was vegetarian, also not too great of a movie. And in Legally Blonde, when Elle is introducing herself she says something like "Hi I'm Elle Woods and this is Bruiser Woods, we are both Gemini Vegetarians." :P

On the show About A Boy Minnie Driver's Character is Vegan, however in one episode I saw she eats duck to impress a date. Yuck.

Fromper 05-07-2015 12:17 AM

Most that I know about have already been mentioned here, but I do have one that was missed: Melody from Josie and the Pussycats.

Technically, almost every character in Star Trek is vegetarian, since their meat is replicated, not taken from actual animals. Riker actually mentions this in one episode of TNG. But apparently, the vulcans took it a step further and refused to eat even replicated meat, while Kirk did eat real meat when transported back in time to 1930's New York (the same episode that first mentioned Spock being veg). And of course, the klingons and ferengi actually ate live animals.

--Fromper
:juggle:

Triceratops 08-04-2015 10:06 PM

Beast Boy from the Teen Titans cartoon (and the more recent Teen Titans Go! cartoon) is consistently portrayed as a vegan, on the grounds that he's turned into all of those animals at one point or another. Even when he does something silly like sing about tacos with Cyborg, he usually mentions that he's eating tofu tacos.

EllissonWatson 10-12-2015 10:45 PM

I liked watching her talk about it and the progression to a vegetarian because of the way pigs are slaughtered and other animals.

SumitaSofat 10-26-2015 11:30 PM

Doctors are vegan. Despite this fact I would like reflect your mind in the topic of fictional vegan which is coming on. Vegan is the right word.. then why to use it with fictional......I like your fact that you have shared about it.