VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Entertainment Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/18-entertainment-forum/)
-   -   Does anyone watch The Walking Dead? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/18-entertainment-forum/172122-does-anyone-watch-walking-dead.html)

VeggieMonsta 03-04-2015 03:19 PM

Does anyone watch The Walking Dead?

After lots of positive reviews on The Walking Dead, I finally got around to watching it, and I'm quite enjoying it. Any other followers?

jessandreia 03-04-2015 03:45 PM

I tried to watch two or three episodes of season two (?), and didn't enjoy it. The parts where they're killing zombies are kind of cool, but then the other parts where they are just whispering to each other bore me. I feel like I have to have the remote control in my hand all the time to control the volume because the killing parts are loud, and all the others where they are just talking are too low. However, I seem to be in the minority in not liking the show.

VeggieMonsta 03-04-2015 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessandreia (Post 3576986)
I tried to watch two episodes of season two (?), and didn't enjoy it. The parts where they're killing zombies are kind of cool, but then the other parts where they are just whispering to each other bore me. I feel like I have to have the remote control in my hand all the time to control the volume because the killing parts are loud, and all the others where they are just talking are too low. However, I seem to be in the minority in not liking the show.

I will say, I was not impressed by the first and second season, but by season 3 the cast really gets into their groove and you're right into the story. I'd give it another try and get through season 1 and 2. I almost quit watching until I made it to season 3, and from there it's just got better, in my opinion.

RiggerBoots 03-04-2015 04:36 PM

As a show it was hampered in the beginning by what seems like half-hearted financial backing.

To clarify, there is episodes in the early seasons that were tremendous yet clearly the budget went on say 1 episode and 6 other episodes are done on the "cheap".

Throughout The Walking Dead it's been apparent that they have been trying to sell it to an audience which isn't the core following of the Zombie genre, there was a focus on inter-personal relationships rather than survival/zombie apocalypse. To me this a damning indictment of network influence, "Ok you can have your zombie show but we want it to appeal to those that watched sex in the city and desperate housewives".

The show in latter seasons indicated a willingness to be dark and disturbing and throughout the series's there has been the kind of action/events you can imagine in a zombie downfall of the modern human race, sadly it has been a little too little and arguably a little too late.

The show was hampered and is hampered by skipping the apocalypse and refusing to do "flashback" episodes showing how people survived in the early days in favour of saying "We've all survived, let's set up a camp where nothing will happen so we can focus on who loves who and minor fall-outs".

The series is needed, it's advancing the genre but it once again falls ever short of satisfying the imaginations of those who adore it.

TerriNC 03-04-2015 05:00 PM

Yep, believe or not, I do not usually like zombie shows, but my husband and I are addicted to it. Our daughter got hooked on it in college. They all watched it in her dorm. When she came home to visit, she got her dad and I hooked on it too. I enjoy the story and characters, but not so much the zombies. ;)

odizzido 03-04-2015 05:20 PM

By the end of the first season I was really disliking the show. I found the story to make no sense and never even bothered with the second season.

The video game is very good though(minus the start which was.....less than great).

VeggieMonsta 03-05-2015 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odizzido (Post 3577042)
By the end of the first season I was really disliking the show. I found the story to make no sense and never even bothered with the second season.

The video game is very good though(minus the start which was.....less than great).

I've played both video games. They are great.

I continue to enjoy the show, but am also a big fan of Norman Reedus and his work in general. The series does take some cue from the comics but does not follow canon.

rasitha.wijesekera 03-06-2015 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeggieMonsta (Post 3577594)
I've played both video games. They are great.

I continue to enjoy the show, but am also a big fan of Norman Reedus and his work in general. The series does take some cue from the comics but does not follow canon.

The first game made me cry, literally

odizzido 03-06-2015 07:26 AM

yup me too, it was great

cuberail 05-07-2015 09:23 AM

i watched the first few seasons. i liked the character development but not the violence and gore. i don't want that horribly imagery in my head.

it seems to me that there is too much gore in tv and movies.

custardpie 05-07-2015 07:21 PM

I have no idea how I've missed this thread for so long but I LOVE The Walking Dead. Even though sometimes it can drop its game a bit (I found the second half of the most recent season a bit boring and nothing exciting happened until the LAST EPISODE ugh). It's probably the only show I've watched in a while where I feel completely lost when a season ends... Like right now. At least GOT is there to help hahah

karenlovessnow 05-08-2015 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by custardpie (Post 3640481)
I have no idea how I've missed this thread for so long but I LOVE The Walking Dead. Even though sometimes it can drop its game a bit (I found the second half of the most recent season a bit boring and nothing exciting happened until the LAST EPISODE ugh). It's probably the only show I've watched in a while where I feel completely lost when a season ends... Like right now. At least GOT is there to help hahah

Happy to see someone feels the same as I do. I agree with your assessment of the second half of the last season. But I love the show. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jasminedesi16 05-08-2015 04:57 PM

I love The Walking Dead! It is my favorite show on TV at the moment. Rick and Michonne need to get together.

custardpie 05-09-2015 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 (Post 3641569)
I love The Walking Dead! It is my favorite show on TV at the moment. Rick and Michonne need to get together.

Really? I actually prefer them just staying friends. It's not often you see such a strong friendship between a man and a woman in a show that actually stays that way without the writers trying to turn it into something more. So I'm hoping they stay platonic :) I've been waiting FOREVER for Darryl to get a love interest, though..

Also, does Carol annoy the hell out of anyone else? Or is it just me? That lady should never be left alone with children...

karenlovessnow 05-09-2015 07:23 AM

I love Carol. :smitten:

custardpie 05-10-2015 07:00 AM

Nooooo! Really? I'll admit, sometimes I have to love what a psycho she's become... but more often than not, I find myself saying to the screen 'Oh, shut up Carol!'

seanE 05-10-2015 07:24 AM

is it true that you have to be a nerd to watch zomby movies :popcorn:
not saying you are its just a pattern I'm noticing

odizzido 05-10-2015 10:01 AM

For me zombies aren't about zombies, but about the survival aspect. I am a sucker for anything survival related.

karenlovessnow 05-10-2015 03:03 PM

I'm more dorky than nerdy. [emoji12]

custardpie 05-11-2015 04:05 AM

Nah, I'm a pretty cool, popular person, if I do say so myself (and I do, all the time)

Hahaha no, I guess people would say I'm a nerd. I am studying a science degree, after all.

Obviously there's no rule that you need to be a nerd/geek/whatever to like the whole zombie theme. I love any kind of apocalyptic-type scenarios simply because the idea of society completely falling apart absolutely terrifies me.

Jasminedesi16 05-11-2015 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karenlovessnow (Post 3642225)
I love Carol. :smitten:

Look at the flowers!!

karenlovessnow 10-11-2015 06:34 PM

It's on! Who's watching?

EllissonWatson 10-12-2015 10:42 PM

but more often than not, I find myself saying to the screen 'Oh, shut up Carol!'

karenlovessnow 10-12-2015 11:12 PM

This is funny...so much Carol hate! Lol

mrgrimm 10-13-2015 04:44 AM

...the plan was going pretty good it seemed until that darn noise started up!

SumitaSofat 10-26-2015 11:27 PM

I love the carol acting..... It was amazing. I really enjoyed it.

Jasminedesi16 10-28-2015 08:22 AM

Anyone see Sunday's Episode?? I'm grieving so much I am in denial that SPOILER is not dead.

karenlovessnow 10-28-2015 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 (Post 3813097)
Anyone see Sunday's Episode?? I'm grieving so much I am in denial that SPOILER is not dead.

I keep hearing he is alive but I won't get my hopes up only to have them dashed again...I am distraught...I need an intervention! Lol

Jasminedesi16 10-28-2015 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karenlovessnow (Post 3813113)
I keep hearing he is alive but I won't get my hopes up only to have them dashed again...I am distraught...I need an intervention! Lol

Me too. I was almost crying, I loved him so much, he was my favorite character. People are saying he has been seen filming action scenes. I understand no character is safe but I think this death was so bad for the character. It was such a bad sendoff for someone that important to the show.

karenlovessnow 10-28-2015 03:38 PM

He is my favorite, too.