Waking Life - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-22-2004, 02:32 AM

Ive seen this movie before, but not like this. I dont know why it hit me so hard this time, but it did. It sent me on a wild hunt for trans-humanism (sp?) extentionalism, biochemistry, anything. Now, its 3:30 am for me, and my mind is on overload, but this movie is just so amazing, i highly reccomend it to everyone. Has anyone else seen it, i want opinions! I've watched it like 10 times in the past 3 days. It just..greatness. "you a dreamer? times are tough for dreamers these days. dreaming's dead, i ask kids if they've ever dreamed, and they dont know what it is. No one teaches it so no one knows it exsists. Where does that leave us? Between sleep and the nightmare."

SUCH A GREAT MOVIE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2004, 02:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I've seen it. I found it boring, pointless. Sorry.
#3 Old 06-22-2004, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Pointless? I can understand how some might find it boring. But pointless? That doesn't make any sense to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2004, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

As in, there seemed to be no point to the movie.
#5 Old 06-22-2004, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

i saw it when it first came out and was profoundly moved...

I might need to go rent it so i can watch it in repetition...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#6 Old 06-22-2004, 08:54 PM

point or story? point, you could argue that no movie really has any point but entertainment. the story was Wiley trying to get out of his dream state and all the things he discovers along the way.
#7 Old 06-22-2004, 09:13 PM

There's someone here on radio that loves it and he endorses it every week on his show then gets lots of people (teenagers) calling up saying how much they loved it, and how interesting it was. It's a live radio show, and no ones ever said anything bad about it.

I really want to see it, but because of him every copy seems to be on loan in NZ :P
#8 Old 06-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Girl View Post

point or story? point, you could argue that no movie really has any point but entertainment. the story was Wiley trying to get out of his dream state and all the things he discovers along the way.

Most of which includes an encapsulation of a mess of philosophy about the meaning of life and the nature of reality along the way. I don't know. A large part of me was underwhelmed in that Waking Life looks good primarily because the rest of Hollywood is just so darn stupid. Likewise, the Matrix gets hailed as a "deep philosophical movie" for being so ham-fisted about its comic-book approach to philosophy.
#9 Old 06-22-2004, 09:23 PM

i dont want to get into a mess of the philosophical side right now, im too tired. i just wanted to clear up if it was the story or the point for kpickell.
#10 Old 06-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

yay existential hollywood!!!!

this one is coming here next week:

http://www.whatthebleep.com/

has anyone seen it yet?

Nec Aspera Terrent
#11 Old 06-23-2004, 12:21 AM
Veggie Regular

There was an overall point, and many other points beyond that, IMO. If you couldn't see them, kpickell, that's certainly a valid response to the movie. One great thing about any form of art is that no one can demand or expect any one interpretation will be shared by all people who observe it.
#12 Old 06-23-2004, 12:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah. Well I'm glad someone got something out of this movie. I was really looking forward to seeing it when it first came out, it just looked and sounded cool, but I ended up putting it on my "worst movies ever" list. =!)
#13 Old 06-23-2004, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I would have liked the movie if I hadn't gone to a midnight showing, with Rocky Horror going on next door, and sitting there trying to remember one quote after another..

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how they made the film, by filming people and drawing over them. It was pretty amazing.
#14 Old 06-23-2004, 03:31 PM

the live action version looks exactly like the animated one, down to the ciggarette smoke. its awesome.
#15 Old 06-24-2004, 12:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Linklater is doing another film using that same rotoscopic technology, btw, Wiccanveg. It's called A Scanner Darkly, from an adaption he wrote from Philip K. Dick's novel. The film is being produced by Warner Brothers' new Independent Pictures division, and will star Winona Ryder, Woody Harrelson, Keanu Reeves and Robert Downey, Jr.
#16 Old 06-24-2004, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

For those who say they liked Waking Life, I'm curious to know what you thought of the movie Magnolia? I think the people that like Waking Life are the kind of people that would like Magnolia.
#17 Old 06-24-2004, 12:52 AM

i STRONGLY disliked Magnolia,kpickell. it..just..blah. i thought it was boring and i dont know. maybe i need to see it again. i really didnt like american beauty, either.
#18 Old 06-24-2004, 06:39 AM

I fell asleep the first time I saw it in the theatre, but only because I was ridiculously tired and lights out=sleep. I really enjoyed it when I watched it at home a few months later. Thinking about stuff like that makes my mind cave in.
#19 Old 06-24-2004, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't see the comparison necessarily, other than the possibility that both films require you to use your brain, but I did like Magnolia. Didn't love it, but I liked it. Same for Waking Life, though my like for WL was more cerebral. Magnolia definitely had a cerebral component that I liked, but it was a much more emotional film, and I hooked into that more deeply.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page