how often do you go to the library? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: how often do you visit the library?
i'm on first name basis with the librarians 0 0%
a couple times a month 0 0%
on rare occassions 0 0%
i prefer to buy books 0 0%
we have a libe-ary? wheresat? 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm just wondering if the readers here go to the library a lot for books or if you prefer to buy them.

myself i don't go to the library at all, i don't even have a library card for this city, but i'm thinking about starting once i'm done reading my current series. generally though i prefer to buy books cause if i like a book i'll reread it sometime in the future. so it's just good to have a lot of books on hand for those times when you really want to read before bed or something and everything's closed.

but yeah i'm thinking of trying out a few different genres so i don't want to go buying them all in case i hate them

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

i did not answer the poll because it did not have the option of voting for "i go to the library frequently, but am not on a first name basis with the librarians"!!!! i prefer to take books out--makes me all kinds of crazy to PAY for books that i can check out. and i could never read a book a second time!!
#3 Old 06-18-2004, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I have very little time to read. By the time I'd paid late fees, I might as well buy the book. I try to get them from used bookstores, half.com or ebay. I also borrow them (mainly from missleigh) or buy from Amazon or somewhere if I just can't wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-18-2004, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't go to the library super often in the summer (maybe once a month or so?) but during the school year, I go there a lot. I am on a first name basis with them (Mummy is an avid reader and on the library board).
#5 Old 06-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I'll most often get into "cycles" where I am going to the library, then checking out books or materials, then going back to return them when due, only to be tempted to check out more of them--and so the cycle resumes.

Yes, I do buy a lot of books, too. I have plenty of books I bought and have not yet read. I need to list or catalog my books somehow.

Since current books are usually checked out of the library, I often buy them. So I am usually checking out somewhat older books.
#6 Old 06-18-2004, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I go to the library about 1-2 times a week. Sometimes to check out books - sometimes to read the periodicals or just sit and read. I like the atmosphere.
#7 Old 06-18-2004, 09:32 PM

I LOVE the library and I go there about 2-3 times a week because I volunteer twice a week there. It's fun, I get to fix/mend books...hehe And of course I'm always checking out something out...I wuv books. OMG, it's soooo awesome!! The library here is getting these self-check out computer thingies!!! Lol...I can't wait for those!!!
#8 Old 06-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I love love love books. I almost always buy them though. Even if I'm not going to re-read it, I like having it. It's nice to be able to lend them out to others too. I like really old books the best too!
#9 Old 06-18-2004, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

yay for libraries !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

teehee

I actuall don't go as often as you would think for someone in library school
#10 Old 06-18-2004, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted 'a couple of times a month' because I go every day to my school one, but that's only to study, not issue books. I'd go every so often to one to get books out.
#11 Old 06-18-2004, 11:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not truly on a first-name basis with the librarians (though I know the names of 2 or 3) but I go at least a couple times a week, so I chose that option. I love libraries.
#12 Old 06-18-2004, 11:33 PM

I try to go to the library a couple times a week, but for a while I went everyday. I prefer buying books now, so I can look over them later. Then again, I dont need anymore books around here. At last count I had over 500 books. I wonder if there's a support group for that.
#13 Old 06-18-2004, 11:40 PM
Banned

I'm probably there at least once a week for the periodicals more than the books.
#14 Old 06-18-2004, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Usually once a week or so. More when I'm not working.
#15 Old 06-19-2004, 02:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't been in ages, and the last few times it was just to get cook books.

I should really start going again, I want to start reading more - I did use to read all the time but have hardly read any books in the past few years.
#16 Old 06-19-2004, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

It varies...sometimes once a week or oftener, sometimes it can be weeks between each time I'm there.

I almost never buy books, I don't see the point of buying when I can get most of them for free at the library... Practically all the books that I read come from the library. My parents also have a *lot* of books, so most non-library books that I read I find at home. Then I get some as gifts for Christmas or for my birthday, and then, occasionally, I buy.
#17 Old 06-19-2004, 07:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I go a couple times a month.
#18 Old 06-19-2004, 07:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a library fugitive, because I owe bigtime fees that I really ought to get around to paying. ^^;;

I procrastinate pretty badly, so even though I generally tear through the books when I check them out, I forget to return them on time.

I like to buy books, anyway, as I tend to be a collector. If I'm reading a series, I want to own all the books so I can go back and re-read them as desired. I'm cutting back on leisure spending right now, though, so I haven't bought any books recently.

Borders is my favorite place to get books, although I'll use Amazon or Half.com sometimes, too.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#19 Old 06-19-2004, 09:16 AM

Lol @ ceryna. I can be really bad about this too. I think they are planning to name a new wing of the library after me.

Still, I manage to make it there a couple of times/week. I go once a week with my kiddos and work, and then usually once just for me. It helps that I have a branch of the library just 3 blocks away.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#20 Old 06-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Depends on the book. Occasionally I'll check out a book I wish I'd bought to keep, and vice versa.
#21 Old 06-19-2004, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I LIVE at the library. I never buy books unless I need them for school or somebody gives me a gift certificate to a bookstore. Oh yea, and I buy books at the library book sale because they're only $0.25 each
#22 Old 06-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Um...*mumbles* I've only gone to the library about three times in my life and can't even remember what they look like.

I love buying books but I choose to do so at independant bookstores and try to stay away from big chains just because I feel bad sometimes. I blame that movie "You've Got Mail". Watch it and you'll see what I mean hehe. So no, I do not go to the library often, for no real reason.
#23 Old 06-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggzie View Post

Um...*mumbles* I've only gone to the library about three times in my life and can't even remember what they look like.

Now Tiggzie, repeat after me, the library is my friend. The librarians are also my friends.
#24 Old 06-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

The question is "how many times a day do you go to the library": I work on one floor and study on another.

Terra
#25 Old 06-22-2004, 06:45 AM
Beginner

I'm on a first name basis.
#26 Old 06-22-2004, 07:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I prefer to buy books. half.com is my library.

But I voted that I go on rare occassions, usually a couple times a year when I feel an urge to get something right away. Problem is our libraries have terrible hours, they like close at 9pm and don't open again until 9am. As if I'm awake during the day.
#27 Old 06-22-2004, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd rather buy books.
#28 Old 06-22-2004, 08:01 AM
Meo
Veggie Regular

I go at least once a week during the summer (check out two to three books each time), sometimes more. And since we don't have to read books only appropriate for our age level to get credit at my new school, I can sense that the once a week plus habit will continue into the schoolyear. I'm a bookworm, what can I say?

The librarians would know me on a first name basis, except our library is a really huge spot in town. Practically everyone lives there.
#29 Old 06-22-2004, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

i prefer to borrow from libraries. i hate having lots of stuff. if i get them from the library, they go back there and i don't have to find somewhere to store them. so i generally only buy useful referencey books.

i have a lot of trouble returning things on time and avoiding huge fines, though . . .
#30 Old 06-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I love the library. I go about once a week. If I can check a book out of the library I do, but if they don't have it I'll buy it. I always check with the library first, though. They have their entire catalogue online, so you can see what's doing and place a hold without ever even setting foot in the building. I always say that libraries are one of the greatest aspects of civilization, truly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page