What makes art, art Debate! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw how the discussion was growing about the man who makes a bed out of ham into a really interesting topic...what really does qualify as art?

I chose to put this in relationships and family, because everyone has a "relationship" with art.

So in other words what really does qualify as art, is art life or is life art? Etc Etc..

My point of view is that art is everything and everything is art. I don't have a discrimination. I can look at things and think ' that would make a really great picture..' ie: picture= art.

One of the best show's I saw on the subject of what really is art was an old Murphy Brown episode where she has her 4 year old son, Avery draw a picture and passes it off to a bunch of NY art critics as her painters work. It really baffled me that something like that could be art.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Banned

in the end... it's art if the person who made it says it's art. i still have issues with N.E. Thing. Co. Ltd. though.
#3 Old 06-04-2004, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I tend to agree that if someone thinks it's art, it's art. I may not always like what some people think of as art, but if someone else values it as art, who am I to disagree? We can always criticize creative expression that we think is not worthy of the term "art," but someone else will probably be able to make a convincing argument from a different perspective that it is art.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-05-2004, 01:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to argue that we cant make a rigid definition for ANY word.

Nonetheless, I'm going to take a stab.

Art is the balance between previously established cultural symbols, i.e. routine, and capricious randomness. It is in this balance that creation occurs.

ebola
#5 Old 06-05-2004, 01:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm afraid I need to move this to Arts & Entertainment. I hope that won't inhibit the discussion.
#6 Old 06-05-2004, 05:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I had this discussion with a friend of mine once, and her definition was " art is anything that has been put through a creative mind" not sure if i totally agree with that, but to me art is something that expresses emotions and feelings from within the artist, for example the man who put ham on a bed - he said it reminded him of his mothers deli.

I believe the only person who can appreciate a piece of art for all it is and all it expresses is it's creator, others can interpret it but only the creator knows it's true meaning.
#7 Old 06-05-2004, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

I believe the only person who can appreciate a piece of art for all it is and all it expresses is it's creator, others can interpret it but only the creator knows it's true meaning.

I don't know if I necessarily agree. I'm a short story writer and I've had readers find meanings in my stories that I didn't intend, but that I end up finding quite interesting, sometimes more interesting than my intended meaning. Also, sometimes I'm not really even sure what I intend a story to mean in the first place and I rely on readers to enlighten me. I think that once artists release their work into the world, they lose complete ownership of it, and that there really is no "true meaning." In my mind, the reader/viewer's interpretation can be just as valid as the artist's interpretation.
#8 Old 06-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epinephrine View Post

in the end... it's art if the person who made it says it's art. i still have issues with N.E. Thing. Co. Ltd. though.

Hey, I met the guy who came up with that! He was a really cool person... although I'd say his brand of art didn't appeal to me much.

I hate the "what is art" debate. It has no ultimate answer because it's completely subjective! I know art, and I know what I like. There's a lot of art I don't like, but a lot that I do like. There are some things that I like which I wouldn't put in my house.

My own brand of art is on the more traditional end of the scale (not the crazy "concept artists" as they seem to be labelled lately) with realistic painting, drawing and sculpture. Though I tend to have an illustrative bent that some would argue is not true "art," even though it requires a considerable amount of skill. I don't care too much, unless those people are the ones giving me marks... I tend to just do my own thing.
#9 Old 06-08-2004, 10:18 AM

Well, by the broadest definition, then, all life is art. We derive (or don't derive) meaning from art, based on how it is perceived through our own mental and emotional filters. I can look at a tree and derive no meaning from it, or I can study the curves of its branches and the shape of its leaves, and determine that it represents the beauty of infinite randomness somehow harnessed by nature. I can do the same thing with a Monet, or a Dali, or a salt shaker, or a salad from Wendy's that somebody left on their desk at work.

I would dare say that there are as many people who would call the intricate windings of a stream "art" as there are those who would reserve the term for a 12 foot square canvas painted solid red.
#10 Old 06-08-2004, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Art is whatever you want it to be.

But don't expect everyone else to agree! one man's treasure is another man's trash.
#11 Old 06-18-2004, 02:41 PM
Beginner

Art is whatever you're willing to pay for. Case closed :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page