Do you believe in astrology? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

#31 Old 11-26-2014, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a pretty firm believer that this, and all other religious or "spiritual" stuff is pretty much nonsense. In my case, I'm a Leo, but I've never been anything like the "typical" Leo personality. Not that I care, but my mom was kind of into this stuff, so I was aware of it from an early age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
There have been too many times where I have accidentally read a description of the wrong sign and still thought it sounded like me.

The human brain is very good at finding patterns and trying to seek order in chaos, the way they write horoscopes and descriptions of star signs is intentionally vague so it can apply to anyone at any time. You'll always find a way to make it fit you and your personality.
That pretty much sums it up. I read about a college professor who once handed out "personalized" horoscopes for all his students on the first day of class, telling them that he looked up their birthdays and got them all done before class started. He asked them how many thought their horoscope described them well, and almost everyone raised their hand. Then, he had them trade with the person next to them, and they realized that he'd handed the exact same description to everyone, and it was vague enough to be interpreted as saying whatever the reader wanted to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
I try not to pick mates based on signs either, but I think at this point I might actually avoid having a closer relationship with Aries people. I mean, I'm not going to be like, "Oh wait. You're an Aries. Can't date you", but I'll honestly go into the relationship not having much confidence in it.
This is known as a self fulfilling prophecy. You won't work out with an Aries because you don't expect to, not because they're an Aries. Go into it not knowing their sign, and the relationship will have a better chance of working.

--Fromper
River likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 11-26-2014, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
I'm a pretty firm believer that this, and all other religious or "spiritual" stuff is pretty much nonsense. In my case, I'm a Leo, but I've never been anything like the "typical" Leo personality. Not that I care, but my mom was kind of into this stuff, so I was aware of it from an early age.

That pretty much sums it up. I read about a college professor who once handed out "personalized" horoscopes for all his students on the first day of class, telling them that he looked up their birthdays and got them all done before class started. He asked them how many thought their horoscope described them well, and almost everyone raised their hand. Then, he had them trade with the person next to them, and they realized that he'd handed the exact same description to everyone, and it was vague enough to be interpreted as saying whatever the reader wanted to hear.

This is known as a self fulfilling prophecy. You won't work out with an Aries because you don't expect to, not because they're an Aries. Go into it not knowing their sign, and the relationship will have a better chance of working.

--Fromper
I definitely didn't think like that before my relationship with my ex (who is an Aries), even after knowing his sign. Aries (at least the ones I've known) just get angry way too easily for me (and this is coming from a Scorpio), and tend to be bossy. He would seriously threaten to break up with me, if I didn't feel like stopping at Tim Hortons on our way home, even though he could just go there when we got home. If we took a long road trip (and he doesn't drive), he was bossy over what music to play in a car that's not his. To be fair, there were other factors about him that made it not work out that have nothing to do with him being an Aries, but from experience Aries are the sign that I get along with the least.
Either way, I'm engaged (to a non-Aries) now, so it doesn't matter.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#33 Old 11-26-2014, 01:03 PM
Beginner

Ever since going on this website http://www.iloveindia.com/astrology/...pio/index.html I can't tell whether to or not! It tells you what your main traits are (flaws and assets), what you're like as a child, what you're like as an adult and also what your relationship is like with each of the star signs. It doesn't say vague things but writes paragraphs and paragraphs of detail. Me and my whole family went through them to see if they were true and every single family member matched their star sign description EXACTLY. Me and my boyfriend's relationship is also detailed and scaringly accurate - I just don't know how they would have made some rubbish up and have it match identically to 7 members in the family, and then describe all our relationships with our partners to a T. Weird stuff! Check it out though and let me know if it matches you well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 11-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm Virgo. Besides the loyalty and honesty in love I am like the opposite of my sign. Just a look around my place and my life tells my the stars failed hard when they had me born lol. I'm an extreme procrastinator, chatterbox, lazy, dreamer, artistic, don't give a darn about how I look, a bit messy I have to admit, very demonstrative of my love, calm... yeah totally the opposite of a Virgo. I am a bit critical though but many people are too without being a Virgo.

the cool thing about my sign though: associated with growing things woot a vegan sign lol

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#35 Old 11-26-2014, 03:50 PM
No flesh since 99'

I typically don't pay any attention to things like astrology, but out of curiosity, I looked up some Aquarius traits....YUP, describes me quite well! Now, I also googled my hubbys sign (Virgo) and I can't really say it sounded a whole lot like him... except the part about always liking to dress well!
#36 Old 11-26-2014, 05:20 PM

Astrology is often under-appreciated. There is a lot of detail in how we interpret our charts that goes beyond our sun signs (the generally associated sign). Our sun sign is believed to be how other people perceive us to be. Our rising sign has more personal implications (at least how we interact with ourselves). Our moon sign is connected to our emotional being. Of course, the celestial bodies have no physical effect on our lives, however astrology could be used as a tool to help guide us into making connections, using those bodies as a model, with aspects of our lives and then channel our attention into responding to situations appropriately.

My star sign: Leo
rising sign: Libra
moon sign: Aquarius

Landon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peace.
#37 Old 11-26-2014, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightergait View Post
Ever since going on this website http://www.iloveindia.com/astrology/...pio/index.html I can't tell whether to or not! It tells you what your main traits are (flaws and assets), what you're like as a child, what you're like as an adult and also what your relationship is like with each of the star signs. It doesn't say vague things but writes paragraphs and paragraphs of detail. Me and my whole family went through them to see if they were true and every single family member matched their star sign description EXACTLY. Me and my boyfriend's relationship is also detailed and scaringly accurate - I just don't know how they would have made some rubbish up and have it match identically to 7 members in the family, and then describe all our relationships with our partners to a T. Weird stuff! Check it out though and let me know if it matches you well
"Paragraphs and paragraphs of detail"? I don't even have to click the link to know what's there.

It'll be detailed, all right. And ANY human being reading the description for ANY sign will find at least a dozen sentences that seem to fit them perfectly. Those will stand out, and be memorable to them, while the dozen or more sentences that don't fit them aren't remembered. Just to make it less obvious, there will be lots of sentences that say more than one thing, so that at least part of the sentence will be true for lots of people.

That's just how human memory works - we're attracted to the familiar. We'll remember the details that apply to us, but not the ones that don't. And that's how these frauds nail the details for enough people to keep the scam going. It's a numbers game, and they don't care if they lose some people along the way by not being accurate enough, as long as the generic guesses apply to enough people to keep the con going.

--Fromper
Tom, River, leedsveg and 1 others like this.
#38 Old 11-28-2014, 03:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
"Paragraphs and paragraphs of detail"? I don't even have to click the link to know what's there.

It'll be detailed, all right. And ANY human being reading the description for ANY sign will find at least a dozen sentences that seem to fit them perfectly. Those will stand out, and be memorable to them, while the dozen or more sentences that don't fit them aren't remembered. Just to make it less obvious, there will be lots of sentences that say more than one thing, so that at least part of the sentence will be true for lots of people.

That's just how human memory works - we're attracted to the familiar. We'll remember the details that apply to us, but not the ones that don't. And that's how these frauds nail the details for enough people to keep the scam going. It's a numbers game, and they don't care if they lose some people along the way by not being accurate enough, as long as the generic guesses apply to enough people to keep the con going.

--Fromper
Yeah, I have always sat on the fence but I do think the psychology behind is fascinating that you're mentioning. I do feel with mine and my boyfriend's description there was not a sentence wrong so I don't think I identified with my reading for the reasons you said. I personally don't believe the description they gave me matched any of my friends either - I tried reading mine to a friend, pretending it was her and she said "This sounds nothing like me. Sounds like you to be honest".

Anyway, I would never invest in this kind of thing but I get bored of everything being so scientific as that's my academic area. It's nice to feel a little magic from it because it's harmless fun and for free. When they take people's money for it, that does get me a bit red in the face.
#39 Old 12-01-2014, 09:26 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
One interesting thing though is that Scorpios and Aries aren't supposed to get along too well. That has been true for me so far. The childhood friend I had the most fights with growing up is an Aries. My ex is an Aries and we fought a lot too.
Most of the US prison population are either Aries or Scorpios. We kill people. I was with a Scorpio for like five years. Super scorpio. Scorpio sun sign and rising sign, and cancer moon. It was like drowning. We nearly killed each other. I don't even know if he's alive. Last I heard he was running feral somewhere along the Colorado/Arizona border but that was like 7 years ago. Sex was wild though.

I'm a firm believer in Astrology, in the firmest way you can believe in something so fluid. I'm an Aries Sun Pisces Moon and Sagittarius rising. All of my sisters are also Sagittarius rising, which I believe is really rare. We're all going to move in together when we're ancient and cast spells. My partner is an Aries Sun Cancer Moon and Leo Rising. My roommates are also Aries. We can be extremely vicious people, loud and brash and uncaring, all four of us, but sometimes my partner still shocks me with his cruelty. It's so much more...out there than I am, but then again most Leos are egotistical theatrical people. Probably why so many of our Presidents are Leos.

I put more store by what House you're sorted into at this point in my life.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#40 Old 12-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I have been interested in Chinese astrology for some time. I am an earth dog, married to a rat, daughter an earth dragon, son a rooster. It's pretty interesting, a lot more to it than just the "year of the horse" or whatever.
#41 Old 12-03-2014, 06:15 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I have been interested in Chinese astrology for some time. I am an earth dog, married to a rat, daughter an earth dragon, son a rooster. It's pretty interesting, a lot more to it than just the "year of the horse" or whatever.
Chinese astrology seems to be more on point for me at this point in my life than Western Astrology, but I don't follow it as much and don't know as much. I know I'm a wood snake.

Quote:
People born under the year of the Snake tend to exhibit the following characteristics: they are intellectual, superstitious, sceptical, astute, have elegance, innate wisdom, and possibly some levels of supernatural capability. Snake people rarely seek independent advice or advice from others, possibly because on the whole they don't communicate well with others. They tend to be very private people, but when they are riled they like to "settle old scores". Generally they are very deliberate about whatever they say. They like to think first and speak later and they also have a cautious business sense. It is in their nature to be very unremitting and suspicious and this results in a character that is both slow to forgive, highly calculative, somewhat hateful in nature and can certainly bide their time in order to reap their revenge. Other features include: leading dangerous lives that are full of thrills and intrigue, yet they keep a firmness of purpose and a clear presence of mind.
nothing about that is wrong. especially the negatives.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#42 Old 06-12-2015, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post
Chinese astrology seems to be more on point for me at this point in my life than Western Astrology, but I don't follow it as much and don't know as much. I know I'm a wood snake.
I'd agree. I'm a metal rooster. It fits me and matches up with my western zodiac capricorn and my namesake.

Quote:
The Rooster has a flamboyant and colourful personality and is thorough in all they do. They are always organized and like to plan their various activities well in advance. They are usually highly intelligent and very well read with a good sense of humour They love discussion and enjoy taking part in debates. They have no hesitation in saying what is on their mind. Roosters should try to avoid acting on the spur of the moment as they have a very volatile nature. They are capable of accumulating a considerable sum of money throughout their life. Roosters always seem to have a notebook or scraps of paper with them, they are constantly writing notes and reminders. The Rooster is usually very ambitious, but can be unrealistic in some of what they hope to achieve. They have a very active imagination and do not like any interference from other people although it would be in their best interests to take advice from others every now and again. They can be quite self centred and stubborn over minor things although they are very reliable, honest and trustworthy to compensate for this.
one of those management team building training things got me thinking of myers briggs too which is really very reminiscent of astrology. I thought I might have changed over the last 15 years but i'm still INFP which is a common one for veg*ns.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#43 Old 01-09-2017, 11:33 AM

step by step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
No.

Though, to be fair, I don't actually know much about it.
I am very sceptical though.

A good page to know more about astrology is www.astrosofa.com you find more about astrology, ascendants, zodiacs and the lot.

personally I don't think a Star from far far away has the power to influence my life in a way some people claim. Not even a full moon won't let me stay awake. jajaja

Last edited by sam2178; 01-10-2017 at 06:41 AM.
#44 Old 01-09-2017, 05:51 PM
Fellow Hummusapian

I don't look at astrology as a hard-and-fast rule for how people are, but I look at people through that lens sometimes, especially if I'm trying to get to know them better. Not so much the horoscope predictions but with their personality traits, often it eerily fits. Then you get into the moon and rising signs, and it makes even more sense. Again, I know there's exceptions, and I get why people think it's silly. Scorpio traits and behaviors personally resonate with me, so much so that I have a scorpion tattoo, so I guess that's where I'm at with it.
#45 Old 01-09-2017, 07:08 PM

It can be fun to look at or read sometimes, but I don't actually believe that when I was born affects my personality. I'm skeptical.
#46 Old 01-10-2017, 03:29 AM
Peace

Astrology only makes true sense when you have mastered the ability to read charts and analyse horoscopes yourself.

The gibberish you read in cheap magazines has no bearing whatsoever, as goes for nonsense astrocall tv programmes. Those are scams.

Astrology is an interesting subject when you know a lot about it, but it is still not science. However, it does provide a rough framework for personality and life expectations.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#47 Old 01-11-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhuriel View Post
The gibberish you read in cheap magazines has no bearing whatsoever, as goes for nonsense astrocall tv programmes. Those are scams.

Astrology is an interesting subject when you know a lot about it, but it is still not science. However, it does provide a rough framework for personality and life expectations.
So true, people do entrust too much capability to all kinds of philosophies. Instead of taking their life into their hands.
#48 Old 01-19-2017, 01:12 PM

Yeah, I do. I can't tell you why and I know that it's widely regarded as total rubbish - but I'm a textbook Scorpio, and it's beyond coincidence by now that all of my best friends are Pisces (with the odd Aquarius and Leo thrown in).

I think it's all very interesting and fun to read about in any case! The Chinese Zodiac too (Rabbit, if anyone is interested...Yep. A Scorpio Rabbit).
#49 Old 01-19-2017, 01:28 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

My sun and moon (and 3 other planets ) are in Leo, and I have Capricorn rising (if I did my horosope correctly back in the '70s).

I don't believe in it, even though I enjoy it. The reason is that, yes, I can see things in my chart that fit me... but also things that DON'T. There are so many different factors on a chart that you can read it different ways. The house placement of my planets seem to fit, and I'm cautious and sometimes reluctant to speak up, like a Capricorn- but then why am I not theatrical and flamboyant like a proper Leo ought to be?

I think one of my biggest problems with astrology is how quickly astrologers assigned characteristics to the newly-discovered planets Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto before some of them had even completed a full orbit through the Zodiac. That is NOT scientific method.

ETA: My Chinese zodiac sign is Water Dragon.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 01-19-2017 at 01:31 PM.
#50 Old 01-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Peace

Rising sign Leo, moon Virgo, Fire rabbit

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#51 Old 02-10-2017, 12:08 PM

yes, and why not? everyone should belive in something
Sidhuriel likes this.
#52 Old 02-14-2017, 01:54 PM

Of cours eI do. We, Aquariuses, believe in everything we see
#53 Old 02-19-2017, 01:59 AM
Banned

50/50
My sister believes in astrology and she recommended me to visit her astrologer this year. I think I'll do it

Tags
aquarius , aries , astrology , sagittarius , star signs , zodiac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page