the swan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-26-2004, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Have any of you seen this show? If you haven't, the premise is that two women who percieve themselves as ugly ducklings are made over by a team of professional plastic surgeons. At the end of the show they reveal their new looks, and a panel of judges decides which one of them is now beautiful enough to join the beauty pageant in which one participant will be elected "the Swan."

My question is, what ever happened to self esteem? Whatever happened to the beauty of uniqueness and flaws? I know in the course of a day I see very few "perfect" beauties, but I see many, many beautiful women of all shapes, sizes, and looks.

I know these women allow themselves to undergo this process, but I think it is sad that these women have to undergo thousands and thousands of dollars worth of plastic surgery to have any kind of self worth. What they really need are supportive families, therapy, and maybe a salon makeover (who doesn't feel great after new hair and makeup and some pampering?), a gym membership (working out does wonders for self esteem!), and some new clothes. They need to build their own personal self esteem and pride in who they are. I hate this f*cking show.

What do you think?!

lovenlight,

Linz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-26-2004, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I think its the most misogynistic thing on television. What a horrible example to set for young girls.
#3 Old 04-26-2004, 09:38 PM
Beginner

Well, so are all the other blood, gore, and immoral shows. They all protray generally "beauitiful" actresses and actors, leading teenage girls to think that they are the only fat ones or ugly ones, when really such skinny 5"11' women only make up 2% of the US's female population. But because so many teens and other people watch so much tv, they think that everyone is this beautiful and they are alone in their "ugly-duckness".

I've done so many research papers on the media and anorexia and how they affect people, that it's practically made me give up TV. Sadly, I'm not that vigilant though the only tv I like really like to watch (besides a good movie once in a while) is Anime!

But, believe me, reality shows are disgusting and generally just depict the base and carnal side of human nature, leading us all to think that that is really what humans are

like.

Sad, isn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

It's very very sad. I hate the arrogant plastic surgeons on the show who say that the women MUST have a,b,c,d,e, etc procedures done if they are going to move it. It makes it sound like if they don't have all the procedures done then they are wasting their time and aren't worth it.

On another note, I wonder how healthy it all is on the body. It's all done within 3 months. The women are still recovering from the surgery when they are in the gym plus they are on diets. I don't think it's healthy to be dieting. I think it's too much trauma on the body.
#5 Old 04-26-2004, 09:55 PM
Beginner

Ugh. I think my body would reject it all and I'd go into a coma! I'm not one for plastic surgeries and yo-yo diets.

I have a perfectionist friend who was anorexic and is recovering and she's gone through some pretty hard things. She went through modeling school and knows a lot about fashion, but suddenly this year she just started dressing however she wanted and didn't care as much about how she was doing. Over christmas break she developed MAJOR acne problems on her face and now is scarred very badly. She became really quiet and timid and not at all the hyper, happy person she was. She's always been an amazing straight A student, but before she seemed to shine and care more about life. Now, she's kind of "every woman for herself" if you know what I mean. I'm kind of worried about her still, and every laugh I hear from her makes my day, which seems to happen a little more often, so I'm hoping things are looking up. After all this, she's become a really strong person though. She can take anything thrown her way and doesn't feel the least intimidated by people and media's issues. I really look up to her, and I will even more when she makes it through these hard times and shows everyone she doesn't give a rip what they think. That's the kind of person I'd like to be.
#6 Old 04-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I am completely unable to express how disturbing I find the concept of this show. Admittedly, I've only seen a few minutes of one episode, but I listen to a morning radio show that deconstructs each episode the next day. Even the jokester goofballs on the radio show can't seem to muster up enough cold-bloodedness to mock these women. I think anyone with half a brain realizes that most TV programs are rife with racism, misogyny, cruelty, and consumerism, but this show seems to really push the boundaries of cruelty and cynicism.
#7 Old 04-27-2004, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Of course I support good nutrition, exercise, cleanliness and good grooming, and I'm not above a "salon makeover". I know I feel good after a nice facial or a manicure.

But the themes behind this show make me sick. I'm boycotting the show, FOX Network, and I'd like to boycott the advertisers on this show, too, if I can find out who they are. Any ideas on how I can find out who the advertisers for this program are?

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#8 Old 04-27-2004, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the show is great!
#9 Old 04-27-2004, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

URRRRRRRRRGHH...don't even know where to start on this. I have seen it and must admit I was eager to see the before and after stuff and did find it somewhat entertaining. However, it is a sad commentary on society. All these shows - Extreme Makeover, etc. First of all it makes things look too easy - fat around the thighs, try some lipo. Second, it makes cosmetic surgery look so commonplace and easy - when it is major surgery. They should show 'swans go wrong'. Thirdly, people should not depend on surgery to feel beautiful. Frankly it did bother me that after their surgeries everyone was like "you're so beautiful". what were they before surgery?
#10 Old 04-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never seen this show and if I did I'd hate myself for it. I'm well aware that I'm a victim of society's beauty standards, and my low self esteem and various neuroses reflect that, but I really hate to see other people fall victim to these things. It makes me so sad.

On the Style network, however, is this really inspiring show called "Fashion Court". I know it sounds awful, but they have women with really low self-esteems brought on by family and friends, and the stylists teach them how to dress and do their hair for their size and shape, and the women end up looking radiant simply because they're suddenly happy with themselves. They take women of all body shapes and sizes and dress them in the most flattering outfits. I started watching the show out of morbid curiosity, and now every time I watch it, I'm crying out of happiness for the women by the end of the episode. It really emphasises the idea that beauty comes from within, and if you carry yourself well, and are proud of your appearance, it doesn't matter if you meet society's unrealistic beauty standards. There should be more makeover shows with that sort of premise.
#11 Old 04-27-2004, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegankat View Post

It really emphasises the idea that beauty comes from within, and if you carry yourself well, and are proud of your appearance, it doesn't matter if you meet society's unrealistic beauty standards. There should be more makeover shows with that sort of premise.

Agreed. I'm totally down with teaching women to bring out their inner beauty by choosing the right clothing and hairstyles. It's affirming instead of devaluing the women who participate, I think.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#12 Old 04-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I was walking across campus today and two students I don't know said, hey, you look like that girl on that show. Eventually I got out of them that the show was called "The Swan," but I still knew nothing about it.

Now I do. Reminds me why I don't watch TV. Blah.
#13 Old 04-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw one episode a few weeks back. I couldn't believe what these women were subjecting themselves to. They seem to have quite a few personal issues as well. I'm not against cosmetic surgery but I just think they're doing it for the wrong reasons. The Swan has to be one of the worst shows on tv.
#14 Old 04-27-2004, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't watch much TV and shows like this are why. I have self-esteem issues myself and I don't think that watching the show and hearing about my short comings would help. It's hard enough to hear all of my friends in the real world that I think are beautiful constantly picking themselves apart.

This kind of crap is just so demeaning. I hate it.
#15 Old 04-27-2004, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathym View Post

I think the show is great!

of course you do!

care to elaborate? Or were you just saying that for opposite's sake?

FWIW, I find the show lame & a waste of my time. I bet the plastic surgeons love the show, though! What great advertising!
#16 Old 04-27-2004, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate this show and the message it portrays! You know, I had a bug-killing incident that went very wrong two years ago and ended up with a broken nose and cheekbone. I had to have nose surgery to fix it and that surgery alone had me in so much pain for 6 weeks---I CANNOT IMAGINE WHAT THESE WOMEN MUST FEEL! You know, they bawl about being away from their babies for 3 months, but think nothing of risking their lives with intensive surgery.

Stop the world, I want to get off!
#17 Old 04-27-2004, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's horrible as well. I saw these woman and couldn't believe the things they were going through for the sake of appearances. It just seems so horribly wrong. And the fact that society supports something like this. It's like that lady who made herself into the human barbie doll. Ick!
#18 Old 04-28-2004, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I am very glad that there are other people who feel the way I do about this show. I, like Vegankat and ND, have suffered because of societies' standards for women for weight and appearance. While I see the value of cleanliness, health, and a little hair and makeup fun if it makes you feel good, I also see the beauty of those with unique appearances as well as natural beauty.
#19 Old 04-28-2004, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Ick. Don't women hate their bodies enough already without being told that they must undergo tens of thousands of dollars worth of invasive surgery simply to be considered beautiful? I haven't seen the show, nor do I intend to. This is the worst thing to come out of Fox since O'Reilly factor windbreakers.
#20 Old 04-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

of course you do!

care to elaborate? Or were you just saying that for opposite's sake?

FWIW, I find the show lame & a waste of my time. I bet the plastic surgeons love the show, though! What great advertising!

LOL! Maybe a little!

But I do like the show though mainly because I am amazed at how ugly some of the women are and the fact that for once in their lives they can be beautiful. And I just dont get as bent out of shape over what other people do to OR for themselves. Personally I think that a woman tattooing her body is far more disgusting, but I could care less who does and who doesnt. For those that have the money spend it. For those that have the nerve to apply for the show and have millions of people see how badly their bodies are before, then Im tickled pink when they win the chance on any of these shows. I say spend more time worrying about behind the scenes at some animal shelters and other rescue type organizations.
#21 Old 04-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

LOL! Maybe a little!

I say spend more time worrying about behind the scenes at some animal shelters and other rescue type organizations.

Ummmm...I think that's why I became a vegan in the first place. But Monday nights I'll be sure to set aside that hour of my life when the show is on to seriously ponder causes that matter. Thanks for the tip.
#22 Old 04-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusswoman View Post

Ummmm...I think that's why I became a vegan in the first place. But Monday nights I'll be sure to set aside that hour of my life when the show is on to seriously ponder causes that matter. Thanks for the tip.

You're Welcome!
#23 Old 04-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

#24 Old 04-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Kathym, that's a good point - these women did choose to be on the show. I'm sorry that they felt they should make the choice, but sometimes it takes something drastic to make a woman feel more empowered, and if she's willing to take that step, more power to her.
#25 Old 04-29-2004, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Thats the thing about the show, however- its not empowering. These women are then forced to take part in a beauty pageant, where one of them is named 'the swan'! And every show one girl gets sent home...which in my mind gives the message "hey, thousands of dollars of surgery STILL couldn't make you beautiful enough!". Furthermore, these women don't recieve the counseling/therapy they need during their surgeries and they don't deal with their emotional issues. I just think this is one of the most foolish and damaging shows on TV, because the idea that people should undergo MASSIVE plastic surgery in order to be socially accepted and to accept themselves in our society- that is a shameful commentary on our country.
#26 Old 04-29-2004, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Is it any beter than that MTV show where they turn you into a spitting image of your favorite celebrity? I haven't seen either one. I do however, like that F/X show "Nip/Tuck".
#27 Old 04-29-2004, 09:02 AM

Quote:

LOL! Maybe a little!

But I do like the show though mainly because I am amazed at how ugly some of the women are and the fact that for once in their lives they can be beautiful. For those that have the nerve to apply for the show and have millions of people see how badly their bodies are before,

yeah, I chopped up your quote a bit. Mostly, to make a point. Your attitude towards other people's "looks" are unfortunately quite prevalent in society. I am not trying to pick on you really. It bothers me that people care so much about how other people look and that to be accepted and "beautiful for once in their life" they must undergo physical changes... drastic physical changes. It is possible to be a beautiful person without being a drop dead physical bombshell. It all just echoes the fact that too much emphasis is put on the exterior of a person. Some of the most amazing people that I know, will never be models, will never be considered drop dead gorgeous, but they are still beautiful. It would be nice if we could have tv shows with some substance to them and talk about some of these people instead of concentrating so much on the other.

I am also concerned, like someone else, that these people are not getting enough counseling. Often, when one feels the way that these women do, there is a lot of inner emotional damage. Just fixing the exterior isn't necessarily going to change these feelings.
#28 Old 04-29-2004, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

How come one never, and I mean never, sees shows like this with male "contestants"?

Clearly women are still valued primarily for their physical appearances far more than other characteristics, at least by society at large, and that's sad and wrong. Also, American society in general has such a narrow view of what is considered female physical beauty, it's scary.
#29 Old 04-29-2004, 12:28 PM

I won't watch even a minute of these kinds of shows. They are exploitive and degrading in the extreme, and the licenses of the surgeons who participate should be yanked.
#30 Old 04-29-2004, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

There's been at least one man on Extreme Makeover, and a couple on I Want a Famous Face. Not at all common, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page