Blender: 50 Worst Songs/50 Worst Artists - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-23-2004, 07:02 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Run for Your Life! Its the 50 Worst Songs Ever!

http://www.blender.com/articles/article_786.html

Blender and VH1's TV special "50 Most Awesomely Bad Songs ... Ever" airs May 12.

The 50 Worst Artists in Music History

http://www.blender.com/articles/article_466.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-23-2004, 07:09 AM

BILLY JOELWe Didnt Start the Fire"

Come on thats a classic!!!

PAUL OAKENFOLD isn't that bad either. Other than that.. not many surprises
#3 Old 04-23-2004, 08:12 AM

WTF? ELP second worst band ever?? The Doors?? Gipsy Kings?? Some on the list would be there even it was done by popular vote, but surely not artists like the The Doors! "The Sound(no s here) of Silence" is one of the greatest songs ever!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyKass View Post

not many surprises

A lot, if you ask me..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-23-2004, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post

WTF? ELP second worst band ever?? The Doors?? Gipsy Kings?? Some on the list would be there even it was done by popular vote, but surely not artists like the The Doors! "The Sound(no s here) of Silence" is one of the greatest songs ever!!

A lot, if you ask me..

I like "The Sound of Silence" as well, and was surprised to see it there. If John Cougar and "Jack & Diane" isn't on that list then it's rigged, I tell ya . . . .
#5 Old 04-23-2004, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

That Uncle Cracker song should be closer to #1.

ETA: I agree with Color Me Badd, Creed, Master P, Vanilla Ice, and Starship. But Primus? No way.
#6 Old 04-23-2004, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

The Doors?? Come on... lol. I agree with the rest though.
#7 Old 04-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe they drank lots before they made the list? I like Primus but I could see them as an aquired taste.
#8 Old 04-23-2004, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I was very suprised to see "Sound of Silence" on there as well. I saw the list, but don't remember much of it other than remembering that my bf really likes some cheesy music.. ha...

The Doors....on the 50 worst bands list? who is smoking crack over there at Blender? But their number 1 is pretty good, the Insane Clowne Posse is horrible, so are many others on the list... but the doors????I totally forgot about Ynewie Malmsteen....
#9 Old 04-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm with you guys on "THE DOORS?! WTFWTFWTF?!"

and blind melon? (hey i like them) ELP? Iron Butterfly?

These are good bands, and even if you don't agree, they certainly can't be part of the 50 worst! grrr.

And "the Sound of Silence"? c'mon now.
#10 Old 04-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

okay, a LOT of those made me sit up and go "WHAT?!?! "

but i must say i laughed for a LOOOONG time when i got to the #1 worst artist of all time and saw "insane clown posse"
#11 Old 04-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, yeah...Insane Clown Posse works as #1, i'm thinking.
#12 Old 04-23-2004, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I like Live, Blind Melon, The Goo Goo Dolls and Master P!

ETA: I also like... 45 JA RULE FEAT. ASHANTI "Mesmerize 2002

I liked ICP back in grade school when it was cool to like them , but I agree, they're awful!
#13 Old 04-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey, wait, isn't "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas and good?

This list should be entirely pop singers!!

ETA:

I just downloaded some "YNGWIE MALMSTEEN" after my roommate explained to me who he was. It's not so bad! ...
#14 Old 04-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

ICP has some bad ass songs.

I like "Chicken" the best and "The great Milenko" cd more specifically.
#15 Old 04-23-2004, 02:02 PM

Mikie, yeah, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN is a virtuoso. The problem is that he was never able to round up a decent songwriter or arranger. Still, Fender thinks enough of his abilities to manufacture a Strat to his specifications, and with his endorsement.

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/fend...Men/Yngwie.htm
#16 Old 04-23-2004, 02:02 PM

Crack Smoking Alert on:

"The Sound of Silence"

"We Didn't Start the Fire"

The Doors

Primus

Right On Target Award for:

#1 Insane Clown Posse

Notably Absent:

Limp Bizkit
#17 Old 04-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post

Notably Absent:

Limp Bizkit

good point.
#18 Old 04-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

It did my little black heart good to see someone finally come out and admit that The Doors were a suck-ass band. Man, I've always hated their pretentious clap-trap. And that organ, for God's sake

The lists seemed pretty accurate to me, although I think Insane Clown Posse's too much of a joke to even be considered, and the author's hatred of prog rock is a bit extreme (although he did pick the crappiest prog rock bands out there).
#19 Old 04-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post

Notably Absent:

Limp Bizkit

Well, then they're obviously wrong and totally irrelevant.
#20 Old 04-23-2004, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

What's progressive rock?

Notice there's only one rap artist on there...
#21 Old 04-23-2004, 03:00 PM

Tiffany - I think we're alone now.

I attended 2 months of therapy to recover from memories of that song.
#22 Old 04-23-2004, 05:19 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Just a note: I was/am in no way endorsing the Blender lists, I'm just pointing them out as a cultural phenomenon ... and an upcoming TV special!

But I'd much rather listen to "Oh-bla-di Oh-bla-da" that to, say, Tiny Tim's "Tiptoe through the Tulips" or Screamin' Jay Hawkins' "Constipation Blues." I don't really think in terms of consciously remembering "bad" songs--I just try to forget them, and mainly succeed!
#23 Old 04-23-2004, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

But I'd much rather listen to "Oh-bla-di Oh-bla-da" that to, say, Tiny Tim's "Tiptoe through the Tulips" or Screamin' Jay Hawkins' "Constipation Blues." I don't really think in terms of consciously remembering "bad" songs--I just try to forget them, and mainly succeed!

I must admit...I really like "tiptoe through the tulips."
#24 Old 04-23-2004, 06:17 PM

I am having trouble getting to the whole list - I get the first 10 and then there's no link to the rest?

I must however salute the spectacular use of "craptastic".

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#25 Old 04-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Administrator

As for The Doors being on the list, it's typical for these lists to put at least one controversial choice on the list - it creates a buzz and gets people talking.

I have a free sub to this magazine. I'm not going to type out the whole list but here are the top (or bottom?) 10... Actually I'll start with #11...

11. Clay Aiken - Invisible

10. Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder - Ebony and Ivory

9. Madonna - American Life

8. Eddie Murphy - Party All The Time

7. Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy

6. Huey Lewis and the News - The Heart of Rock and Roll

5. Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby

4. Limp Bizkit - Rollin'

3. Wang Chung - Everybody Have Fun Tonight

2. Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart

1. Starship - We Built this City

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#26 Old 04-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

They should change Rollin' to My Way. That one grates on my nerves with his whining.
#27 Old 04-23-2004, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

What's progressive rock?

Progressive rock and art rock are two almost interchangeable terms describing a mostly British attempt to elevate rock music to new levels of artistic credibility. The differences between prog-rock and art rock are often slight in practice, but do exist. Prog-rock tends to be more traditionally melodic (even when multi-sectioned compositions replace normal song structures), more literary (poetry or sci-fi/fantasy novels), and more oriented toward classically trained instrumental technique (with the exception of Pink Floyd). Art rock is more likely to have experimental or avant-garde influences, placing novel sonic texture above prog-rock's symphonic ambitions. Both styles are intrinsically album-based, taking advantage of the format's capacity for longer, more complex compositions and extended instrumental explorations. In fact, many prog bands were fond of crafting concept albums that made unified statements, usually telling an epic story or tackling a grand overarching theme. In addition to pushing rock's technical and compositional boundaries, prog-rock was also arguably the first arena where synthesizers and electronic textures became indispensable parts of a rock ensemble. The earliest rumblings of progressive and art rock could be heard in the poetry of Bob Dylan and conceptually unified albums like the Mothers of Invention's Freak Out! and the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, all of which suggested that rock was more than just teenagers' music and should be taken seriously as an art form. Prog-rock began to emerge out of the British psychedelic scene in 1967, specifically a strain of classical/symphonic rock led by the Nice, Procol Harum, and the Moody Blues (Days of Future Passed). King Crimson's 1969 debut In the Court of the Crimson King firmly established the concept of progressive rock, and a quirky, eclectic scene was taking shape in Canterbury, led by the jazzy psychedelia of the Soft Machine. Prog-rock became a commercial force in the early '70s, with Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Yes, Jethro Tull, Genesis, and Pink Floyd leading the way. Meanwhile, a more avant-garde scene (dubbed Kraut-rock) was developing in Germany, and eccentric, unclassifiable bands continued to emerge in the U.K. By the mid-'70s, a backlash was beginning to set in; prog-rock sometimes mistook bombast for majesty, and its far-reaching ambition and concern with artistic legitimacy could make for overblown, pretentious music. Its heyday soon came to an end with the advent of punk, which explicitly repudiated prog's excesses and aimed to return rock & roll to its immediate, visceral roots. Still, prog-rock didn't completely go away. A number of AOR bands used prog ideas in more concise songs; plus, Pink Floyd, Yes, and Genesis all had number one singles in the '80s by retooling their approaches. A small cult of neo-prog bands catered to faithful audiences who still liked grandiose concepts and flashy technique; the first was Marillion, and many more popped up in the late '80s and early '90s.
#28 Old 04-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I am having trouble getting to the whole list - I get the first 10 and then there's no link to the rest?

Yeah. I think they want you to buy the mag or watch the May 12 special to get the whole list, but many of the other choices have been mentioned in other press stories about the list.

BTW, I like Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time." I'd at least rate it average.
#29 Old 04-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

aha, so limp bizkit *was* mentioned.

i gotta agree with 11, though. that song pisses me off. but for a very odd reason... i don't like that song because it's grammatically incorrect. if i WERE invisible, dammit!
#30 Old 04-23-2004, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not happy about the Doors and Sounds of Silence being dissed, either.

Also, I've got to stick up for Jamiroquai. His are among the few CD's I bought in high school that I still listen to. I liked Travelling Without Moving, and I like Synkronized even better. I like to put on Canned Heat or Soul Education when I need a little pep. Heh.

slops, gloops, and gruels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page