Favorite musicals and plays! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Zelda Freak

So, Mike4891 had to go and post a song from Hair here and since I didn't see any musical / play threads, I wanted to start one. Maybe there is one though - sorry if there is.

Something people may not know about me is that I spent about 18 years acting in the theater - plays mostly and some musicals, improv and such and so on. I've pretty much been obsessed with the theater since I was about 5 or 6 years old, but even before that I was somewhat of a performer show-off type kid. It's funny, because I'm not such an attention hog now. I guess I changed, but I still like to see plays and musicals. 

Anyhow, Hair was actually the first musical I ever saw at age 6 or 7 and I didn't understand 3/4 of it, but loved it anyhow. My mom did not love that I loved it as I'd launch into songs about sex and drugs in public (I had no clue back then what I was singing). 

There are a TON of musicals I love, but besides Hair, which is one of my top 3, my other top favorites are Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar. What's weird is I'm not remotely religious - but I just love these musicals. I especially like Carl Anderson as Judas in the movie - below... he can sing like crazy. 

Thinking up my favorite all time plays might be harder. I like most Shakespeare, but the Tempest best, Butterflies are Free, most Neil Simon, Greater Tuna and The Curious Savage best maybe. 

I like a ton of plays though. 

Anyone else here like the theater or even plays and musicals in movie-form? Any past / current actors here? 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-03-2013, 01:48 PM

I LOVE Carl Anderson's version of Heaven On Their Minds, it's amazing - makes me wish I was a musical star. As does On My Own from Les Mis (not so fussy on who sings it). 

I love musicals, my masters dissertation was inspired by various ones. I saw Memphis on Broadway and that was really exciting for me so it has a special place in my heart. 

I saw Phantom Of The Opera when I was a kid and remember being pretty freaked out but I think it's beautiful now. Love Never Dies has some pretty cool songs too but I hate where it went.

Evita is full of classics. 

I'm going to stop because I've seen dozens and I could ramble about all of them.

I like plays too. Favourite Shakespeare that I've seen and not just read is probably Much Ado About Nothing. 

Not very original but I still find The Importance Of Being Earnest hilarious. 

Yasmina Reza's Art is very readable.

P.S. Just remembered how much fun Dirty Dancing was on stage. The end.

#3 Old 12-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

rockyhor.jpg

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Kath, did you see Joss Whedon's new Much Ado?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#5 Old 12-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post

I LOVE Carl Anderson's version of Heaven On Their Minds, it's amazing - makes me wish I was a musical star. As does On My Own from Les Mis (not so fussy on who sings it). 

I love musicals, my masters dissertation was inspired by various ones. I saw Memphis on Broadway and that was really exciting for me so it has a special place in my heart. 

I saw Phantom Of The Opera when I was a kid and remember being pretty freaked out but I think it's beautiful now. Love Never Dies has some pretty cool songs too but I hate where it went.

Evita is full of classics. 

I'm going to stop because I've seen dozens and I could ramble about all of them.

I like plays too. Favourite Shakespeare that I've seen and not just read is probably Much Ado About Nothing. 

Not very original but I still find The Importance Of Being Earnest hilarious. 

Yasmina Reza's Art is very readable.

P.S. Just remembered how much fun Dirty Dancing was on stage. The end.

I love On My Own - but I haven't seen the new movie Les Mis because I'm terrified the movie will ruin that musical for me. Have you seen it?

Oddly I don't like Phantom - never have. I think my mom overplayed it too much when I was a kid. The Importance of Being Earnest is an excellent play.  There's a Dirty Dancing musical?!

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#6 Old 12-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

rockyhor.jpg

Yay!!!!!  I LOVE Rocky so much! I used to make my sister and best friend act it out with me when I was 12. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

I really want to see that, but haven't yet. It looks amazing - have you see it River? I also really horribly want to see the Tempest (directed by the gal who did Across the Universe) since it's my favorite Shakespeare - I usually shy away from movie versions of Shakespeare but both these look great. I just never have time to see movies :( 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#7 Old 12-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Riot Nrrrd

I'm a huge Jesus Christ Superstar fan myself. I have never seen it performed live in person, but I have both the film versions on DVD and have seen video of a number of stage performances.

My favorite musical that I have seen performed live is Little Shop of Horrors.

I'm kind of into musicals on film, though, ranging from the big production MGM musicals of the 40s to Repo! The Genetic Opera. My favorites: Moulin Rouge, Little Shop of Horrors, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I watch a fair amount of Bollywood movies, most of which include musical numbers. Even my favorite, Sholay. A western.

I'll include musicals  on the small screen too, so I can include Once More With Feeling, the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I love that episode.

From Moulin Rouge, El Tango de Roxanne, which makes ballroom dance look pretty intense:

Holi from Sholay:

Jennifer C likes this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#8 Old 12-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

I'm a huge Jesus Christ Superstar fan myself. I have never seen it performed live in person, but I have both the film versions on DVD and have seen video of a number of stage performances.

My favorite musical that I have seen performed live is Little Shop of Horrors.

I'm kind of into musicals on film, though, ranging from the big production MGM musicals of the 40s to Repo! The Genetic Opera. My favorites: Moulin Rouge, Little Shop of Horrors, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I watch a fair amount of Bollywood movies, most of which include musical numbers. Even my favorite, Sholay. A western.

I'll include musicals  on the small screen too, so I can include Once More With Feeling, the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I love that episode.

I just cannot get into Moulin Rouge. My BF's kids keep bugging me to see Repo - saying I'll love it. You sound like you like it too, so maybe I'll give it a whirl. Little Shop of Horrors is awesome and the Buffy musical too. It's crazy that a TV show could produce such as good musical - even though some of the cast weren't great singers they totally made it work for them not against. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#9 Old 12-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

Yay!!!!!  I LOVE Rocky so much! I used to make my sister and best friend act it out with me when I was 12. 

I really want to see that, but haven't yet. It looks amazing - have you see it River? I also really horribly want to see the Tempest (directed by the gal who did Across the Universe) since it's my favorite Shakespeare - I usually shy away from movie versions of Shakespeare but both these look great. I just never have time to see movies sad.gif 

It is phenomenal. My favorite adaptation.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#10 Old 12-03-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:

No! And I really wanted to - it was on really limited release here so I assumed it was impossible. Imagine my distress when I actually looked it up to discover it was showing once in my city ON MY CAMPUS. The night before I looked it up. It's going on my Christmas list. 

Quote:

From Moulin Rouge, El Tango de Roxanne, which makes ballroom dance look pretty intense:

Buffy is the best thing ever, that episode was very impressive.

I saw Moulin Rouge at the cinema and went home and told everyone it sucked, so they didn't go. Years later I was raving about it, much to my family's annoyance.

Quote:

I love On My Own - but I haven't seen the new movie Les Mis because I'm terrified the movie will ruin that musical for me. Have you seen it?

Oddly I don't like Phantom - never have. I think my mom overplayed it too much when I was a kid. The Importance of Being Earnest is an excellent play.  There's a Dirty Dancing musical?!

I am a massive Hugh Jackman fan (for various reasons...) and I saw it when it came out. It's very different to seeing it on stage but I think it was an amazing achievement - all the live singing. Eddie Redmayne blew me away. I couldn't get so emotionally connected with the rest of it though - I think that happens when you are very familiar with big celebrities, takes me out of the moment somewhat.

I like to play Phantom stuff on my piano. My mum loves to play the CD with the volume turned up high. I thought Gerard Butler was seriously good in the film adaptation. And yes to Dirty Dancing - maybe it's only in Britain for now? It's basically the movie on stage. I adore the movie so I thought it was cool. I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed it. 

#11 Old 12-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:

It is phenomenal. My favorite adaptation.

Much Ado? Well, I'll have to try harder to see it. For those who haven't seen the trailer check it out! 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#12 Old 12-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

The Beatrice and Benedict casting was PERFRCT.

I like Phantom, Funny Face, Hairspray, Chicago, Nine, Moulin Rouge, Wicked, Wizard of Oz.

I hated the Le Mis musical... because I love the film version with Geoffrey Rush and Liam Neeson.I juat could not get into the musical.

Anything Fred Astaire.

Quote:
#13 Old 12-03-2013, 07:35 PM

Ahhh and since Joss was mentioned I can't believe I forgot Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. 

Which I hated the first time I saw it. What is wrong with me?!

#14 Old 12-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Ooooooop ... I forgot Grease. And also West Side Story.

Heck, I even like Grease 2, which is by no means a good movie, but highly entertaining for the first hour and 15 minutes or so. The remainder of the movie is virtually unwatchable.

What do y'all think about "jukebox musicals", where they construct a story around a bunch of pop/rock songs? Examples are We Will Rock You (Queen), American Idiot (green Day), and Mamma Mia! (ABBA)?

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#15 Old 12-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:

Ooooooop ... I forgot Grease. And also West Side Story.

Heck, I even like Grease 2, which is by no means a good movie, but highly entertaining for the first hour and 15 minutes or so. The remainder of the movie is virtually unwatchable.

What do y'all think about "jukebox musicals", where they construct a story around a bunch of pop/rock songs? Examples are We Will Rock You (Queen), American Idiot (green Day), and Mamma Mia! (ABBA)?

Oh, well this is the most embarrassing thing I'll ever post here, but as a kid, I saw Grease 2 before Grease and was obsessed with it. My sister and I used to make up elaborate stories about how we'd grow up and I'd marry Michael and she'd marry Johnny. Then we'd sing all the songs together. It was bad. I wanted to change my name to Stephanie for years. 

When I saw Grease a couple of years later, I couldn't believe how much better it was, but I still have a soft spot for the very badly acted second one. 

I'm not a fan of jukebox musicals. Off the top of my head I can't think of one I like a lot. Would Tommy count? I love that musical but it's more a rock opera I guess. Oh or Across the Universe - that movie I did love. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#16 Old 12-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

LOL

Quote:
#17 Old 12-03-2013, 11:29 PM

When my brother and I went to New York at the end of 2011, we queued 3 hours in the cold to get $30 standing tickets to see the Book of Mormon. We'd take turns to go to a nearby hotel to warm ourselves up, and eventually we had to change our resting location because the staff were starting to give us leery looks! I remember that the ordinary tickets had been sold out 2 months in advance. Oh man, that was sooo worth it.

Avenue Q is another great one. 

We also got to see Alan Rickman and Daniel Radcliffe in person from Seminar and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, which made many of our friends who were huge Harry Potter friends jealous =P Although I don't think either of the shows were that great.

I studied David Auburn's Proof for Literature as well, and I really liked it. I know there was another play by David Auburn going on around that time, but I think our schedule narrowly missed it. What a pity.

Check out my blog,
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
#18 Old 12-04-2013, 01:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I heard that 'Book of Mormon' was good. Dan Savage, I think, gave it rave reviews and he's kind of picky about musicals.

My picks-

Singing in the Rain.

I just love it. Gene Kelly=My heart.

The movie adaptions of Chicago and Hairspray (the most recent ones) were totally squeal worthy for me! I loved them and the songs and the dancing and the everything!

/collapses with all the awesome.

#19 Old 12-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Beginner's Mind

Jenner: I learned this much: take what you can, when you can.

Justin: Then you have learned nothing!

The Secret of NIMH

#20 Old 12-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4891 View Post

I've always loved Chorus Line, but thought the end number is so weird with everyone in it - the ones who make it and the ones who don't - doesn't make much sense. I get it in a nostalgia way I suppose. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#21 Old 12-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yingchen View Post

When my brother and I went to New York at the end of 2011, we queued 3 hours in the cold to get $30 standing tickets to see the Book of Mormon. We'd take turns to go to a nearby hotel to warm ourselves up, and eventually we had to change our resting location because the staff were starting to give us leery looks! I remember that the ordinary tickets had been sold out 2 months in advance. Oh man, that was sooo worth it.

My BF would be sooooo jealous. Book of Mormon is his favorite musical. Tickets are crazy! I can't believe you went for $30. You saw the original cast right?

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#22 Old 12-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Oh and Rent. I love Rent.

Quote:
#23 Old 12-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:

Oh and Rent. I love Rent.

I wanted to love Rent, because it got such rave reviews, but I just can't get into it at all. I really like The Me Nobody Knows though, which was based on an awesome book of the same name and is older than Rent but along the same lines - about younger homeless kids. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#24 Old 12-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

I wanted to love Rent, because it got such rave reviews, but I just can't get into it at all. I really like The Me Nobody Knows though, which was based on an awesome book of the same name and is older than Rent but along the same lines - about younger homeless kids. 

Did you try the movie or the show? If you can find it, the final broadway show of Rent was really phenomenal.

Quote:
#25 Old 12-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Beginner's Mind

Quote:

I've always loved Chorus Line, but thought the end number is so weird with everyone in it - the ones who make it and the ones who don't - doesn't make much sense. I get it in a nostalgia way I suppose. 

Oh, it's not my favorite number ever or anything.  Just symbolic.

I was saying something different on that other thread, anyway... not intending to raise this topic.  But thank you for the appreciation. :) 

As it happens, before I decided to focus on more immediate political issues, I was in arts management, which I entered from different theatre work; I learned method acting at Ball State University.  Coincidentally, The Tempest is my favorite Shakespeare as well, though my favorite play is probably Cyrano de Bergerac.

Let's see... no one has mentioned Rodgers and Hammerstein yet. :| 

Oklahoma! - South Pacific - The King and I - The Sound of Music :pibo: 

Jennifer C likes this.

The Secret of NIMH

#26 Old 12-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Banned

The Blues Brothers :)  I never tire of that film.

#27 Old 12-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4891 View Post

I was saying something different on that other thread, anyway... not intending to raise this topic.  But thank you for the appreciation. :) 

As it happens, before I decided to focus on more immediate political issues, I was in arts management, which I entered from different theatre work; I learned method acting at Ball State University.  Coincidentally, The Tempest is my favorite Shakespeare as well, though my favorite play is probably Cyrano de Bergerac.

Let's see... no one has mentioned Rodgers and Hammerstein yet. :| 

Oklahoma! - South Pacific - The King and I - The Sound of Music :pibo: 

I got your meaning in the last thread, but you did make me think of musicals. Cool you studied acting!

R&H is okay. I'm not their biggest fan. One, I was in Oklahoma! and being in that play drove me insane, so I can't even hear it now without going ugh! And after hanging out with Thespian groups too much in my younger days I think I've heard R&H songs way too much - that and freaking quotes from the Holy Grail. Ugh. 

I like the Sound of Music once in a while though. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#28 Old 12-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Beginner's Mind

Jennifer C likes this.

The Secret of NIMH

#29 Old 12-04-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:

My BF would be sooooo jealous. Book of Mormon is his favorite musical. Tickets are crazy! I can't believe you went for $30. You saw the original cast right?

Yep, it was the original cast! :p

Here's the opening number from Avenue Q, It Sucks To Be Me.

Jennifer C likes this.

Check out my blog,
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
#30 Old 12-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Zelda Freak

I don't know if anyone here likes Panic! At The Disco but if you do like them they do an awesome cover of Skid Row. I'm not a huge PATD fan, but I do like Pretty Odd and this cover. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in