Virgil and Beatrice - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-05-2013, 12:48 PM

Virgil and Beatrice is a short novel written by Yann Martel (the author of Life of Pi) about a guy with writer's block who receives a strange letter from a taxidermist asking for help with his play. The play is about two characters named Virgil and Beatrice, a howler monkey and a donkey, who wander a land called "The Striped Shirt" starving and ostracized by everyone else. 

I found this book to be VERY upsetting. It is NOT for those with weak stomachs. There are graphic portrayal of Beatrice being tortured. The theme of cruelty here is clear, but interestingly enough it is not all about animal torture but mostly of humans. The twist is probably the worst part of the story, as we find out that the man who writes the plays has a shadowy reputation. 

I just saw some pictures of pig on the bleed rail. I cried. Images of holocaust victims piled high flashed through my mind. The horror of animal cruelty is not unlike that of what happened to Jews Catholics and homosexuals in Nazi camps. I'm not saying that the situations are the same or that animals are better than humans, but nothing deserves to be treated like that. 

Just like in the boy in the striped pajamas we discard the animal in a  pile as the little girl did with her playthings. I often believe that if an alien race were to come to Earth however like us they may be they would be horrified.

Anyway, I wanted to bring up the book because it raises some serious questions and makes you think really hard. This is by no means "entertainment" but it is a lesson .... "Games for Gustav" at the end of the book was what hit home. I look at the meat on my plate and I think of the cute cows and pig that could have roamed a field and lied in the sun the rest of its life had I not eaten it. The world is a sad sad place when the animals are treated like this. Virgil and Beatrice teaches us how important lives of humans and animals are and how precious. Even the plants should be treated with respect as they become our source of life. Even they should not be poisioned and wasted and killed needleslly. 

I hope the universe because ultimately peaceful and we can find solace in Christ finally when no one has to suffer. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

There are many selections of literature and visual media that vegetarians and vegans may find troubling, especially in regards to the plight of animals. I have not heard of this particular story before, but thanks for sharing your personal views and thoughts about it.

Aristede:book:

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page