Epic Fantasy Series? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-14-2013, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Or even not-so-epic fantasy series. I'm talking fiction here. Those huge tomes about other worlds filled with magical beings! Ridiculous trash to some, essential as breathing to others.

I've just completed the extant volumes of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire and am now with some reluctance (not because I dislike Jordan, but because Martin's world and word-craft is so fabulous and it's likely to be several years before Martin finally concludes ASoIaF) resuming the eighth volume of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time saga. Luckily I've still got six volumes of TWoT (not the best acronym) to go, so I'm in no rush to interrupt it with something else again, but I am curious about other epic fantasy series that I may not have heard of or read.

So, anyone got any suggestions?

The sky is purple and things are right every day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Elric saga, Micheal Moorcock.
The Mythadventures series, Robert Aspirin.
Thieves World
Lord of the Rings

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 07-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Riot Nrrrd

The Chronicles of Thomas Covevant the Unbeliever

The Second Chronicles of ...

I read these two trilogies when I was a teen. I remember liking them. Don't think they were too popular though, so they may be a little difficult to track down.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Elric saga, Micheal Moorcock.
The Mythadventures series, Robert Aspirin.
Thieves World
Lord of the Rings

Thanks Silva. I've read LotR though not the others you mention. Did you enjoy them for any particular reasons? Care to elaborate any? Cheers :)

#5 Old 07-14-2013, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

The Chronicles of Thomas Covevant the Unbeliever

The Second Chronicles of ...

I read these two trilogies when I was a teen. I remember liking them. Don't think they were too popular though, so they may be a little difficult to track down.

I think TCoTCtU splits fantasy readers quite a lot. I know someone who LOVES them! I found it hard to get past Covenant's morose personality, and then of course he's a rapist which possibly makes him a highly challenging character for a woman to identify with; even a female reader who can enjoy an unabashed anti-hero. It was some years ago I tried reading the Covenant novels though, so maybe I could try them again with a view to simply accepting Covenant's character more objectively as it is.

#6 Old 07-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I would recommend the eddas most of all, find a good translatio not the first books around.

The most epic fantasy is not modern, it is the original stuff the modern comes from.

Check out say Tolkien sources.

Sure there is some good modern stuff, but everything looks pale in comparison.

Most religious books ( there is much more than one or two ).

And when you read them, don't consider them as a product of imagination.

Ever read journey to the west ? Now that is serious stuff.

For what you purely ask, elric has the advantage of having an anti hero, the polish witcher has good reputation but haven't read it yet, the malazan book of the fallen has been warmly recommended to me by a good friend as a superbly constructed world where heroes are seriously fallible, magic has a price, but possibly too badly written for my ( personal picky ) taste ( for example i just cannot stand k dick no matter how good some of his stories might be )

A serie i didn't really like but that was presented in a slightly original way was the chronicles of the black company or something like that, where the toubib speaks via a journal, distant events being related with distance. But other than that too classic for me.

The irish have some good stuff, ever heard of chuchulain ?

Ever read the pagan stuff of europe ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#7 Old 07-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

I would recommend the eddas most of all, find a good translatio not the first books around.

The most epic fantasy is not modern, it is the original stuff the modern comes from.

Check out say Tolkien sources.

Sure there is some good modern stuff, but everything looks pale in comparison.

Most religious books ( there is much more than one or two ).

And when you read them, don't consider them as a product of imagination.

Ever read journey to the west ? Now that is serious stuff.

For what you purely ask, elric has the advantage of having an anti hero, the polish witcher has good reputation but haven't read it yet, the malazan book of the fallen has been warmly recommended to me by a good friend as a superbly constructed world where heroes are seriously fallible, magic has a price, but possibly too badly written for my ( personal picky ) taste ( for example i just cannot stand k dick no matter how good some of his stories might be )

A serie i didn't really like but that was presented in a slightly original way was the chronicles of the black company or something like that, where the toubib speaks via a journal, distant events being related with distance. But other than that too classic for me.

The irish have some good stuff, ever heard of chuchulain ?

Ever read the pagan stuff of europe ?

Ha! Thanks for offering an interesting tangent to my original question.

The Norse Eddas! Yes I've read a little and some Irish and Welsh mythology too. But again only chunks. Then of course there's the Old English epic poems. And the Greek (I've read Homer but not much else). 

I even have the complete A Thousand and One Nights kicking around in a box set somewhere that I should read.

Useful resource here for anyone interested in following up this tangent (though the translations will be rather old and dusty): 

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/index.htm

#8 Old 07-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

You might like Chretien de Troyes "Lancelot" as far as old stuff goes. Really enjoyed this one and i still remember quotes from it that really marked me, like the 3 drops of blood part. He wrote more. Just find a good translation.

Oh i disgress a bit again ( i have a wondering mind ) but you might like the corto maltese comics, very artsy, one romantic guy adventures, with freemansons, Mu, derviches... far from epic fantasy books but it has something you might like. A certain similar flame would i say in it.

https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#9 Old 07-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

You might like Chretien de Troyes "Lancelot" as far as old stuff goes. Really enjoyed this one and i still remember quotes from it that really marked me, like the 3 drops of blood part. He wrote more. Just find a good translation.

Oh i disgress a bit again ( i have a wondering mind ) but you might like the corto maltese comics, very artsy, one romantic guy adventures, with freemansons, Mu, derviches... far from epic fantasy books but it has something you might like. A certain similar flame would i say in it.

Yeh, I'm up for some Arthurian romance, I may even have Chretien de Troyes around somewhere - not too sure! Though I've definitely got a translation of Parzival as well as a copy of Mallory's Morte d'Arthur. I'm a second-hand book magpie, but I have a horrible habit of storing them away in forgotten places..

While I can really appreciate comics / graphic novels, they don't tend to touch me so strongly as words do. And following the tangent, ancient words can definitely convey something profoundly potent. 

#10 Old 07-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Banned

When I was 7 my teacher used to read the narnia books to us for the last 2 lessons on a sunday. On hot days we would all sit under a tree outside. I got hooked on Fantasy from then on.

#11 Old 07-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndulation View Post

When I was 7 my teacher used to read the narnia books to us for the last 2 lessons on a sunday. On hot days we would all sit under a tree outside. I got hooked on Fantasy from then on.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've read the Narnia books during childhood, and also quite a few times in adulthood too. My favourites are 'The Magicians Nephew' and 'The Horse and His Boy'. Of course Lewis was a devout Christian and contained in the books is quite a bit of allegorical nonsense about dark-skinned Johnny foreigners from hot far away lands worshipping barbarous pagan gods and all that, but otherwise they are simply wonderful stories.

Got any favourite fantasy suggestions for me btw? 

#12 Old 07-24-2013, 05:13 AM
Banned

What sort of fantasy do you like?

#13 Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

The Witches of Eileannan, by Kate Forsyth

#14 Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndulation View Post

What sort of fantasy do you like?

Big fat paperbacks, lots of them is best. Something solidly written with engaging characters and plenty happening. I mentioned A Song of Ice and Fire earlier in the thread, I think GRRM is the best fantasy writer I've encountered so far. As for sub-genres I really don't care, anything with some imagination.

#15 Old 07-24-2013, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post

The Witches of Eileannan, by Kate Forsyth

Ty, I'll look it up :)

#16 Old 07-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

Ty, I'll look it up :)

Let me know if you end up reading them! :)

#17 Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

i like the riddle-master trilogy by patricia a. mckillip
#18 Old 08-28-2013, 02:11 PM

Epics are the only way to go

Kushiel books by Jacquelin Carey

The Sevenwaters Series by Juliet Marrillier ( celtic historical fantasy and my FAVORITE author)

Marrilier also has a few Nordic books, Pictish books, Welsh, etc.  They are all amazing.

Anne Bishop has written the Dark Jewels books, they are pretty epic.

I am on the fourth Game of Thrones book atm.

I would LOVE to read the Wheel of Time books but they are pretty intimidating.  I have the first three, so we will see.

Also, the Dune books are pretty epic... but a little more Sci Fi

#19 Old 08-30-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

I couldn't tell you how many times I've read the Narnia books during childhood, and also quite a few times in adulthood too. My favourites are 'The Magicians Nephew' and 'The Horse and His Boy'. Of course Lewis was a devout Christian and contained in the books is quite a bit of allegorical nonsense about dark-skinned Johnny foreigners from hot far away lands worshipping barbarous pagan gods and all that, but otherwise they are simply wonderful stories.

Got any favourite fantasy suggestions for me btw? 
did you know he also did a space fantasy trilogy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page