Favourite Fantasy and Sci-Fi TV Series? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

We rarely watch regular TV and prefer to get DVD's or downloaded films and series. Usually we watch films, but we're getting more into series lately and fantasy series especially.

Carnivale is so far one of the best fantasy programmes I've seen anywhere anytime.

Also recently finished watching Avatar: The Last Airbender and then the follow up (what there is so far) Legend of Korra

I've been following True Blood, Game of Thrones and Once Upon a Time - looking forward to the new series' when they come out.

Currently catching up on Lost because I missed it when it was shown, still got four series to go of that.

Shortly to begin watching Ghost in the Shell SAC - which I anticipate will be good, having seen the film versions.

And of course we have both Buffy & Angel on DVD

What else should I look up?

Please make a list of your top picks!

The sky is purple and things are right every day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't pick a single favorite. I love all these shows:

Game of Thrones

Lost

Caprica

Battlestar Gallactica (newer version)

Carnivale

Firefly

Half this list is shows that were prematurely cancelled. :(

#3 Old 09-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

A list is great.

Firefly is new to me. IMDB rates it highly too! Cheers :)

And yeah, such a pity that well written and produced highly imaginative programming gets dropped so frequently in favour of shed loads of 'same-old' programmes about shooting and torturing people, oh and people being ill and dying. I already avoid a lot of the so-called 'news' on TV (preferring more alternative and international web sources in the main) and then they reproduce the exact same depressing stuff after the news, only in fictional form :-/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Fringe

#5 Old 09-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Fringe. Ooh, never heard of it! Sounds a bit like an X Files stylee format. We like the X Files, even if it did go off the rails a bit towards the end.

Another one IMDB rates too, going on my want pile.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1119644/

#6 Old 09-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Game of Thrones and Firefly for me! I enjoy Supernatural too, but mostly for the two main characters blush.gif

#7 Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Fringe is one of the only sci-fi shows that could continually keep my interest for years + years.  LOVE it.  Last season will be this year, for the fifth season.

#8 Old 09-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

My favorites are kind of dated, mostly. I actually liked "Lost In Space", although it was usually more of a comedy than sci-fi, and tended to be a children's show (well, I was a child at the time...!). But it was less violent than most sci-fi shows, including Star Trek, and I liked that. Occasionally there would be an episode which was a bit more serious: there was one episode where an alien family landed on the planet where the main characters were staying, and the alien child nearly died from a cold they caught from the humans. Another time, something caused their robot to grow to enormous size and two of them had to go inside the robot to fix him...

The original "Star Trek" was always fun, but Voyager was really interesting, too... I thought Kate Mulgrew made a good captain, and this series stood out in taking place far outside Federation territory. I thought the first season of "Enterprise" was good, but didn't "get" some of the later episodes. We used to watch the original "Battlestar Galactica" with Lorne Greene, but I somehow didn't get into the remake starring Edward James Olmos and Katee Sackhoff (although that one was considered to be much better).

Interesting... I was wondering over the past week if anybody here would be interesting in having a science fiction fanfic thread, where we would make up stories involving characters and situations of our favorite books, movies, or TV series. I was really thinking of a crossover, involving two or more of them- say, Star Trek and Dr Who, or Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica... If we really wanted to get silly and go all out, we could have "Lost In Space" meets "Babylon 5" meets "Star Trek" meets "Star Wars" meets "Firefly" meets...

An alliance of B-5's Shadows, Star Trek's Borg, and Dr Who's Daleks would be seriously creepy, but probably unrealistic even for sci-fi. Those 3 races didn't get along with anybody.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#9 Old 09-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

Also recently finished watching Avatar: The Last Airbender and then the follow up (what there is so far) Legend of Korra
smitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gif

Oh, and Firefly. grin.gif

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#10 Old 09-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Battlestar Galactica (newer version)

Firefly

Dr Who (can't wait to see the next season!!!)

Buffy (not so much Angel, though)

Farscape (though I never managed to see it the whole series)

Miracles
American Gothic

#11 Old 09-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw the first few episodes of Farscape and thought it was really bad. But a fair amount of people with good taste seem to like it. Does it get better or is it just not my thing?

#12 Old 09-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

I saw the first few episodes of Farscape and thought it was really bad. But a fair amount of people with good taste seem to like it. Does it get better or is it just not my thing?

If I remember well, the first few episodes are rather confusing and yes, probably not the best. I started watching the show during the 2nd season I think and found it quite enjoyable at that time. So I guess it gets better as the show develops.

Admittedly, it really pales in comparison to Battlestar Galactica, but I guess that if you can go past half of the first season you may find it worth watching as the characters gain in depth and so does the plot.

#13 Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Farscape! And I think it really starts to get good after Chiana joins the crew. There are some really trippy episodes throughout the series that I love.

I also love the Treks a little too much. Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Voyager are my favorites. I watch at least 1 episode every day. :p Currently going through DS9 again.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#14 Old 09-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Chianna was amazing! I agree with you, the shows becomes really good once she joins the crew. I love Rigel too, though he's such an a-hole.

#15 Old 09-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

My favorites are kind of dated, mostly. I actually liked "Lost In Space", although it was usually more of a comedy than sci-fi, and tended to be a  Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica... If we really wanted to get silly and go all out, we could have "Lost In Space" meets "Babylon 5" meets "Star Trek" meets "Star Wars" meets "Firefly" meets...

An alliance of B-5's Shadows, Star Trek's Borg, and Dr Who's Daleks would be seriously creepy, but probably unrealistic even for sci-fi. Those 3 races didn't get along with anybody.

Babylon 5 !!!

The story lines on B5 were brilliantly constructed, real Sci-Fi!

Learning the truth behind the Vorlons v's the Shadows was amazing stuff.

All the political intrigue within and between various planets was also a great backdrop. 

And of course each of the key characters was developed beautifully.

Seen it twice, maybe it's time for another re-boot?

Fanfic thread might be fun! Why don't you start one?

#16 Old 09-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

Mmm, I kinda made myself watch it because of fantasy depravation (though I only caught some of it). I have a "this is pants" button which I disable for fantasy & sci-fi because there's so little of it around.

I've even watched episodes of Charmed, but two or three in, I decided that even I had limits.

#17 Old 09-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

smitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gifsmitten.gif
Oh, and Firefly. grin.gif

That's a lot of love :D

I found Legend of Korra to be a lot of fun and slightly less kiddyish than Ang and crew. The artwork is good too, love the smokey street scenes. I like that it's set in an alternative history setting with an edge of Steampunk.

#18 Old 09-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Warehouse 13 is pretty darn good. I didn't expect much from a syfi original, but it's a lot of fun. Each episode focuses on finding an "artifact," an old object imbued with certain powers. Many of them are objects once owned by great scientists or authors who's lives impressed certain properties upon the objects. The artifacts inevitably cause trouble and have to rounded up by the main characters. So it's scifi and mystery mixed together, with some humor to go along with it.
#19 Old 09-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

That's a lot of love grin.gif

I found Legend of Korra to be a lot of fun and slightly less kiddyish than Ang and crew. The artwork is good too, love the smokey street scenes. I like that it's set in an alternative history setting with an edge of Steampunk.
Aye! If I could only watch one series ever again, A:TLA would be it. I love love love it. Korra too. grin.gifsmitten.gif And yeah, Mike and Bryan had Korra 'grow' up with the audience who watched Avatar. Definitely a more serious tone to it and gripping at times SPOILER: KABOOM! while A:TLA was more lighthearted compared to Korra. It also could be that I've watched the entire thing a billion times so there really aren't any surprises anymore. laugh.gif

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page