American Library Association Banned Books Week/Banned and/or Challenged Books - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-20-2011, 02:17 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocac...nned/index.cfm

Banned and/or Challenged Books from the Radcliffe Publishing Course Top 100 Novels of the 20th Century

Just one example:

Quote:
The Catcher in the Rye, by JD Salinger

Since its publication, this title has been a favorite target of censors. In 1960, a teacher in Tulsa, OK was fired for assigning the book to an eleventh grade English class. The teacher appealed and was reinstated by the school board, but the book was removed from use in the school. In 1963, a delegation of parents of high school students in Columbus, OH, asked the school board to ban the novel for being "anti-white" and "obscene." The school board refused the request. Removed from the Selinsgrove, PA suggested reading list (1975). Based on parents' objections to the language and content of the book, the school board voted 5-4 to ban the book. The book was later reinstated in the curriculum when the board learned that the vote was illegal because they needed a two-thirds vote for removal of the text. Challenged as an assignment in an American literature class in Pittsgrove, NJ (1977). After months of controversy, the board ruled that the novel could be read in the Advanced Placement class, but they gave parents the right to decide whether or not their children would read it. Removed from the Issaquah, WA optional High School reading list (1978). Removed from the required reading list in Middleville, MI (1979). Removed from the Jackson Milton school libraries in North Jackson, OH (1980). Removed from two Anniston, AL High school libraries (1982), but later reinstated on a restrictive basis. Removed from the school libraries in Morris, Manitoba (1982) along with two other books because they violate the committee's guidelines covering "excess vulgar language, sexual scenes, things concerning moral issues, excessive violence, and anything dealing with the occult." Challenged at the Libby, MT High School (1983) due to the "book's contents." Banned from English classes at the Freeport High School in De Funiak Springs, FL (1985) because it is "unacceptable" and "obscene." Removed from the required reading list of a Medicine Bow, WY Senior High School English class (1986) because of sexual references and profanity in the book. Banned from a required sophomore English reading list at the Napoleon, ND High School (1987) after parents and the local Knights of Columbus chapter complained about its profanity and sexual references. Challenged at the Linton-Stockton, IN High School (1988) because the book is "blasphemous and undermines morality." Banned from the classrooms in Boron, CA High School (1989) because the book contains profanity. Challenged at the Grayslake, IL Community High School (1991). Challenged at the Jamaica High School in Sidell, IL (1992) because the book contains profanities and depicts premarital sex, alcohol abuse, and prostitution. Challenged in the Waterloo, IA schools (1992) and Duval County, FL public school libraries (1992) because of profanity, lurid passages about sex, a nd statements defamatory to minorities, God, women, and the disabled. Challenged at the Cumberland Valley High School in Carlisle, PA (1992) because of a parent's objections that it contains profanity and is immoral. Challenged, but retained, at the New Richmond, WI High School (1994) for use in some English classes. Challenged as required reading in the Corona Norco, CA Unified School District (1993) because it is "centered around negative activity." The book was retained and teachers selected alternatives if students object to Salinger's novel. Challenged as mandatory reading in the Goffstown, NH schools (1994) because of the vulgar words used and the sexual exploits experienced in the book. Challenged at the St. Johns County Schools in St. Augustine, FL (1995). Challenged at the Oxford Hills High School in Paris, ME (1996). A parent objected to the use of the 'F' word. Challenged, but retained, at the Glynn Academy High School in Brunswick, GA (1997). A student objected to the novel's profanity and sexual references. Removed because of profanity and sexual situations from the required reading curriculum of the Marysville, CA Joint Unified School District (1997). The school superintendent removed it to get it "out of the way so that we didn't have that polarization over a book." Challenged, but retained on the shelves of Limestone County, AL school district (2000) despite objections about the book's foul language. Banned, but later reinstated after community protests at the Windsor Forest High School in Savannah, GA (2000). The controversy began in early 1999 when a parent complained about sex, violence, and profanity in the book that was part of an Advanced Placement English class. Removed by a Dorchester District 2 school board member in Summerville, SC (2001) because it "is a filthy, filthy book." Challenged by a Glynn County, GA (2001) school board member because of profanity. The novel was retained. Challenged in the Big Sky High School in Missoula, MT (2009).

It kind of amazes me that at this point in the 21st century this book is STILL being banned and/or challenged. I read it way back when I was 13 years old.

This is, unfortunately, an incomplete list. For example, somewhere in America, there is probably a school board voting to keep, say, Rubyfruit Jungle, off school library shelves and out of classrooms.

If you have read and have access to any of these books, you should probably consider yourself lucky.

One title that is not on the list perhaps because it's a short story but is frequently banned and/or challenged is Shirley Jackson's The Lottery. I read that one when I was in high school. It's scary.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-20-2011, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular

It still amazes me that you ban books.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#3 Old 10-20-2011, 05:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-20-2011, 06:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Burned in Alamagordo, NM (2001) outside Christ Community Church along with other Tolkien novels as satanic.

B-b-b-but Tolkien was a Catholic! This makes no sense....
#5 Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annia View Post

B-b-b-but Tolkien was a Catholic! This makes no sense....

It makes you wonder how many (or how few) of these challenged books were actually read, every word, from beginning to end, by the people doing the challenging/banning.

I imagine the list will keep growing, especially with the popularity of certain books among young people.. I'm sure that someone, somewhere, thinks the Twilight books should be banned (despite what some of us think of the quality of these books, I'm totally against censorship). I'm sure that Stephen King's books have been targeted, especially Carrie. I know for sure that the Harry Potter books have been challenged and/or banned because they deal with magic and witchcraft.

#6 Old 10-21-2011, 06:57 AM
Banned

Harry Potter is evil. It teaches values like bravery, selflessness, love being the most important thing in the world and standing up to intolerance. As if Jesus would have allowed tha...... oh, wait....
#7 Old 10-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

If I ever write a book I hope it makes the banned list... best publicity money can't buy.
#8 Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Banned

I'm surprised the Harry Potter series wasn't on there! I've also heard of the Narnia/The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe series being anti-religious. And I'm really shocked that The Golden Compass series wasn't on there, I've seen that banned many times before. Nicholas Sparks books have also been banned at schools I've been to.
#9 Old 10-23-2011, 01:28 PM

I dislike the fact that many schools here go along with this and ban some very good books from being assigned and discussed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I'm surprised the Harry Potter series wasn't on there! I've also heard of the Narnia/The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe series being anti-religious. And I'm really shocked that The Golden Compass series wasn't on there, I've seen that banned many times before. Nicholas Sparks books have also been banned at schools I've been to.

Seriously? The Narnia series was my life in second grade. I can't imagine having had those books banned.
#10 Old 10-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

In that sense I believe the bible should be banned.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#11 Old 10-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

In that sense I believe the bible should be banned.

#12 Old 10-24-2011, 04:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm surprised the Harry Potter series wasn't on there! I've also heard of the Narnia/The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe series being anti-religious. And I'm really shocked that The Golden Compass series wasn't on there, I've seen that banned many times before.

All of those were banned from a the school my siblings attended.
#13 Old 10-24-2011, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

That's weird, because Lewis' Narnia books were definitely not anti-religious. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe has always seemed very heavy on Christian influence/metaphors to me.

Quote:
In addition to his career as an English professor and an author of fiction, Lewis is regarded by many as one of the most influential Christian apologists of his time; Mere Christianity was voted best book of the twentieth century by Christianity Today in 2000.[51] Due to Lewis's approach to religious belief as a sceptic, and his following conversion, he has been called "The Apostle to the Skeptics."

And he was converted to Christianity (before writing the Narnia series), in part, by his friend Tolkein.

Phillip Pullman's Golden Compass/Dark Materials series, on the other hand, is pretty blatantly anti-Abrahamic religions. Not because it gave the message that there is no God, but because it portrayed God as a tyrant who needed to be overthrown.
#14 Old 10-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

All of those were banned from a the school my siblings attended.

They were banned from my cousin's religious school, too. And a very religious friend that I grew up with has never been allowed to read them or see the movies, either.
#15 Old 10-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

That's weird, because Lewis' Narnia books were definitely not anti-religious. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe has always seemed very heavy on Christian influence/metaphors to me.

I can't really remember the books clearly as I read them when I was very young but I read some criticism of the films claiming they were too religious in tone.
#16 Old 10-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

They were banned from my cousin's religious school, too. And a very religious friend that I grew up with has never been allowed to read them or see the movies, either.

Yep my brother and sister weren't allowed to either. Thankfully they have me as their big sister. I corrupted them by introducing them to the wonderful world of Witchcraft and Wizardly as the dvds came out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page