What's the last thing you watched? - Page 60 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 87Likes

#1771 Old 01-30-2016, 10:04 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnieminnie View Post
I watched Interstellar yesterday. And cried.

Then I watched kid's shows to cheer myself up, and then The Office.
I finished watching "Interstellar" Thursday after getting it out of a local library. Yup- it was a downer at the end. I liked it overall, but was kind of glad I hadn't bothered to see it in a theater and didn't think the musical score was all that great. Interesting that Matt Damon and Jessica Chastain both starred in "The Martian"- and what a different role for Damon! The dialogue was frustratingly hard to make out, but later, I read in a review that this was actually deliberate in places!! (Huh??)

Spoiler
Even though the movie was a work of imagination, it was supposed to have been written with a view to scientific accuracy, such as what a black hole would look like up close and what travel through a wormhole would be like. Given that, the ending was kind of hard to buy: Entities to whom time is just another physical dimension, which they can move in at will, create a wormhole for humanity to use, and they also provide a means for Cooper to escape the black hole in one piece... uhhh, okay...
skinnieminnie likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 01-30-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1772 Old 01-30-2016, 10:59 AM
Earth Child

The Magdalene Sisters

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#1773 Old 01-30-2016, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
I'm not going to lie, it was pretty impressive. The Roadshow version of the film was only being shown in 6 cinemas in the whole of Australia, and thankfully one of them was just one suburb away from me. It was so few cinemas because no other cinemas have the equipment to screen a film that way.

The film was originally shot in 70mm film, and to this date only a small handful of films have been shot on this type of camera. It provides a different aspect ratio with a very wide and incredibly detailed image. And roadshow refers to the way the film is delivered to the audience. When it starts, there is no ads, no trailers, instead the film opens with an overture. There is also an intermission, and you get a printed program to take home. Films haven't been shown in this way now for over 50 years.

With these things combined, seeing the Hateful Eight 70mm and roadshow really is amazing, it's not just another case of going to catch a movie, it really feels like a big event.

I saw the film twice, once roadshow and once regular. Just from my own memory, I counted at least 6 changed scenes in the regular version, with footage cut out. I also noticed odd blurring where they had to edit down the film to fit normal cinema screens. Apparently the full length of footage removed from the regular version is 6 minutes.
I saw the 70mm version! There was only one theatre in my town that could do it and I'm so happy I got the chance.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1774 Old 01-30-2016, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

"The Red Balloon", a short French movie made in 1956 about a little boy and his magical red balloon. You can find it for free on YouTube.

I saw this movie about 35 years ago when I was a little girl at school. I found it very touching even then. Last night something made me think of it and I was surprised to find it on YouTube! What a delight to watch it again. It is interesting to see post war France in the 1950s too.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#1775 Old 01-30-2016, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
I saw the 70mm version! There was only one theatre in my town that could do it and I'm so happy I got the chance.
How amazing was it! I love the printed program we got to take home too, I wish more movies did stuff like that.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#1776 Old 01-31-2016, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

We've started watching:

'The Magicians' (fantasy series, bit Harry Potterish, entertaining and very promising)

'The Shannara Chronicles' (based on the Terry Brookes fantasy novel series, MTV has made it all a bit cheesy including the acting, but the monsters and world visuals are fabulous, quite watchable if you like fantasy)

'Billions' (drama, well acted with substantial leads, plot full of intrigue and tension, dialogue a tad affected but otherwise very promising)

Last edited by Spudulika; 01-31-2016 at 10:53 AM.
#1777 Old 01-31-2016, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

I watched Inside Out last night on Netflix, it was so good! I'm a big fan of the whole cast and it's a really cute way to teach kids about the difficulties of growing up, dealing with emotions etc. Kind of a creepy concept though, I'm very glad there aren't little people in my head watching everything I think and do.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#1778 Old 01-31-2016, 08:49 PM
Vegan

Bobs burgers! Is that inappropriate for here? lol.
Love that show.
#1779 Old 02-01-2016, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by littestvegan View Post
Bobs burgers! Is that inappropriate for here? lol.
Love that show.
Bob's Burgers is hilarious. I was Tina Belcher a couple of Halloweens ago!
#1780 Old 02-01-2016, 05:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Bob's Burgers is amazing and makes me laugh no matter what. Way better than crappy Seth McFarlane shows.
no whey jose likes this.
#1781 Old 02-01-2016, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Bob's Burgers is amazing and makes me laugh no matter what. Way better than crappy Seth McFarlane shows.
I watch Family Guy and American Dad sometimes, too, but what I like about BB as opposed to McFarlane's stuff is that it has heart. It doesn't derive its humour from meanness and mockery. Sure, the Belchers are weird, but they're endearing and they love each other. They're likeable.
Crouton and littestvegan like this.
#1782 Old 02-01-2016, 05:42 AM

I really love to listen the music and dancing. So it not last but every time I am turning on the TV, play the music and dance in front of the mirror in my free time with my kids.
#1783 Old 02-01-2016, 07:25 AM
Vegan

Quote:
Totally agree with you! I love BB! I can't even pick a favorite character!
#1784 Old 02-01-2016, 07:28 AM
Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I watch Family Guy and American Dad sometimes, too, but what I like about BB as opposed to McFarlane's stuff is that it has heart. It doesn't derive its humour from meanness and mockery. Sure, the Belchers are weird, but they're endearing and they love each other. They're likeable.
What you said! I feel so attached to the family when I watch. Theres nothing to hate about the show.
no whey jose likes this.
#1785 Old 02-01-2016, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw Kung Fu Panda 3 on Friday and it was so cute!! I seriously want to see it again just for the baby pandas :P
#1786 Old 02-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Fellow Hummusapian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
I watched Inside Out last night on Netflix, it was so good! I'm a big fan of the whole cast and it's a really cute way to teach kids about the difficulties of growing up, dealing with emotions etc. Kind of a creepy concept though, I'm very glad there aren't little people in my head watching everything I think and do.
It's on Netflix now?

I've been wanting to see that. I know what I'm watching tonight now.
no whey jose likes this.
#1787 Old 02-15-2016, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

DeadPool one of the best movies I have seen this year. The opening alone had me laughing so hard my cheeks hurt.
#1788 Old 02-16-2016, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
DeadPool one of the best movies I have seen this year. The opening alone had me laughing so hard my cheeks hurt.
I'm seeing it tomorrow!

I've been catching up on Pretty Little Liars recently.
#1789 Old 02-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
I saw it on Valentine's Day, I loved it! It was really funny. It's like if Bugs Bunny was an obnoxious foul mouthed superhero. People definitely shouldn't take their kids to see it.
Jasminedesi16 likes this.

#1790 Old 02-17-2016, 03:55 AM

I watched "Singing in the rain " last night. It is one of my favorites, and I simply adore Gene Kelly. That was the actor....
#1791 Old 02-18-2016, 04:09 AM

Deadpool is a great movie but no, not for families. Deadpool has never been "family friendly"
#1792 Old 02-18-2016, 04:23 AM
Beginner

Charlie's Country - not vegan or veggie, but pretty good film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3244512/
#1793 Old 02-18-2016, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I enjoyed Deadpool, he's a very likable character, the film overall though, it was good but not really a standout. All superhero films kind of feel the same now. They release so many that they all just kind of blend together and feel a little boring after a while.
#1794 Old 02-18-2016, 06:40 PM
Semi-lurker

I watched Where to Invade Next. For the most part it was pretty good, but the last 10 minutes or so got kind of boring.

Videos, recipes, tips, and techniques.

#1795 Old 02-18-2016, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Redemption song from the voice of Holland.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
#1796 Old 03-27-2016, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Last night I watched the movie "Time Out of Mind" with Richard Gere about the struggles of a homeless man in New York City. Very unusual movie, and bleak. I thought it was interesting that there was no real music or theme/background music throughout the movie save a scene where Richard Gere plays the piano. Instead you heard snippets of street sounds and conversations. Rarely was it ever totally quiet.

Though I have never been completely homeless (I was close once when I lost my apartment and most of my belongings and had to live in a halfway house with a stayed state mental hospital commitment with a lot of street wise drug addicts and mentally ill people back in 1998), I could relate to feeling like I am invisible and ignored often. I could also relate to being shuffled through the mental health system and social services back when I needed services to get back on my feet. Homelessness is just one of those things you don't want to think about until it gets in your face, whether you lose a job, end up with some health problem, or run into a homeless person on the street. Or see a movie about it. You think about it for a bit, maybe do something nice for others to help, then go back to security and the everyday and try to forget. Life can be so terribly overwhelming and hard and sometimes society is unforgiving. It's harder yet when you have such a small circle of support/friends/groups to be a part of. People can be so cruel and hard. And judgmental.
Tom likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#1797 Old 04-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Fellow Hummusapian

Finding Fanny. It was pretty cute. I also appreciated that they had a message before the movie started stating that no animals were harmed making the film.
Jasminedesi16 likes this.
#1798 Old 04-08-2016, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

I watched GRIZZLY MAN by Werner Herzog last night, it wasn't what I expected at all but it was fascinating.

#1799 Old 04-27-2016, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Game of Thrones Season 6 premiere
#1800 Old 04-30-2016, 12:41 PM
Pagan Vegan

Sinister.
Sinister 2 is up next.

I'm a pretty big horror movie fan and these two movies actually impressed me a little bit.
I do think the music they used in both was outstanding and a big part of why they worked so well - Boards of Canada, Ulver, Aghast, JudgeHydrogen... All amazing dark ambient artists and each piece of music was so well placed.

Through the streets and the houses of gods you roam
and on their altars you lay your heart of stone

Last edited by Triss; 04-30-2016 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page