What's the last thing you watched? - Page 59 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 87Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1741 Old 12-18-2015, 02:25 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 5,205
The last televised thing I watched (online, because I've disconnected my TV) was an episode of "Heroes Reborn"- I think it was the last one before it went on hiatus until January. I might not even bother watching it anymore.

The last movie I watched was "The Martian" last night. AWESOME!!!!! Storyline, acting (both main and supporting characters), scenery/effects, exciting but nonviolent... I was going to say "good music" but lots of it is disco- but it actually works here. The "Star Wars" movies have truly dazzling visual effects but I enjoyed this more than any of them. I'm glad I saw it before it ends its theater run and goes to DVD- there were maybe a dozen of us in the theater but we all seemed to be enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuberail View Post
jonathan strange & mr. norrell (harry potter for grownups)
I read the book and enjoyed it, but didn't know it had been filmed. How was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadamSarcastra View Post

Ohhh, I got to watchin' E.T. and cried like a baby.... countless time for both. Dammit.
THAT was another good movie. No tears from me though. But I thought
Spoiler
the movie would have been much better without that scene where ET appears to die and almost immediately revives. I mean, COME ON....manipulate your audience much, Mr Spielberg?

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 12-18-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Tom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#1742 Old 12-18-2015, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
New episodes of PEEP SHOW! Mitchell and Webb are my two favourite comedians ever, sometimes Mark Corrigan is so much like me it's scary.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#1743 Old 12-19-2015, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
New episodes of PEEP SHOW! Mitchell and Webb are my two favourite comedians ever, sometimes Mark Corrigan is so much like me it's scary.
YES! I'm so happy to find another fan. Have you seen David Mitchell's soapbox series on YouTube, where he just complains about various aspects of society? It's hilarious.
no whey jose is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#1744 Old 12-19-2015, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Fromper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 7,014
Just saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

MUCH better than the prequels. This is the 4th Star Wars movie we've been waiting for since 1983. But... still not quite as good as the original trilogy.

When you do go see it, don't bother with 3D. It didn't add anything to the experience, and was a minor distraction in a couple of scenes.

Probably the most surprising disappointment of the movie is that John Williams has lost his touch. The music was uninspired, other than the parts that were ripped directly from the earlier movies. I actually made a point of checking the credits at the end to see if Williams had actually composed this music, because it seemed too generic and boring for his work.

--Fromper
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Fromper is offline  
#1745 Old 12-19-2015, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
odizzido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
YES! I'm so happy to find another fan. Have you seen David Mitchell's soapbox series on YouTube, where he just complains about various aspects of society? It's hilarious.
I've watched and liked his youtube videos. He is pretty good when he is on QI as well.

I hardly watch any TV at all, but the last thing I watched was Orphan Black I think. First season was really good.....but the first 5-6 episodes of the second season were garbage and I stopped watching it.
no whey jose likes this.
odizzido is offline  
#1746 Old 12-20-2015, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
I love QI!
no whey jose is offline  
#1747 Old 12-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,609
Watched old episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond late last night while at my partner's parents house.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#1748 Old 12-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
Just saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

MUCH better than the prequels.....
I suppose it would have been difficult for it not to be better. :P

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 12-23-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Tom is offline  
#1749 Old 12-23-2015, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
I saw the new Star Wars movie the other night and it was awesome! A perfect sequel. Last night we watched The Phantom Menace to do a comparison and it was so horrible... Why did Jar Jar have to have so many lines?

Tonight I am seeing Krampus and I can't wait! Nothing like a little horror to get you in the holiday spirit.
Naturebound likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#1750 Old 12-25-2015, 02:34 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: London
Posts: 8
The Royal Tenenbaums! The only Wes Anderson film I for some reason hadn't watched. It was great Probably my favourite Wes film besides from Grand Budapest Hotel
bobaggin is offline  
#1751 Old 12-25-2015, 10:01 AM
Happy vegan
 
Lil' Tofu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 141
I watched Elf last night with my mom and step-dad.
LedBoots likes this.
Lil' Tofu is offline  
#1752 Old 12-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Newbie
 
tokyobags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 66
Just rewatched the original Home Alone 1 for the uncountable number of times during christmas. Somehow, it never gets old.
LedBoots likes this.

Proudly Asian Vegan for 10 Years

Visit Our Family Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for 100% Vegan Bags.

We handcraft bags ranging from backpacks to briefcases for all men and women.
We ship worldwide too.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tokyobags is offline  
#1753 Old 12-30-2015, 01:12 PM
Fellow Hummusapian
 
skinnieminnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: ColoRADo
Posts: 97
I watched Interstellar yesterday. And cried.

Then I watched kid's shows to cheer myself up, and then The Office.
skinnieminnie is offline  
#1754 Old 12-31-2015, 11:49 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 9
Just finished watching Fed Up, a documentary focused on childhood obesity.
VegCake is offline  
#1755 Old 01-01-2016, 10:33 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegCake View Post
Just finished watching Fed Up, a documentary focused on childhood obesity.
Does it address the horrific amount of meat these kids eat?
LedBoots is offline  
#1756 Old 01-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
The first two episodes of Making a Murderer on Netflix. Wow! What an insane story so far, the things police can get away with are terrifying.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#1757 Old 01-01-2016, 01:46 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Watching Mr Robot on USA network. #obsessed
LedBoots is offline  
#1758 Old 01-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Newbie
 
tokyobags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 66
Rewatching Futura season 1 with the kids

Proudly Asian Vegan for 10 Years

Visit Our Family Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for 100% Vegan Bags.

We handcraft bags ranging from backpacks to briefcases for all men and women.
We ship worldwide too.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tokyobags is offline  
#1759 Old 01-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Fellow Hummusapian
 
skinnieminnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: ColoRADo
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Does it address the horrific amount of meat these kids eat?
It's been awhile since I've seen that documentary, but I believe it only addressed the amount of sugar/processed foods that kids consume. It was slightly terrifying.
skinnieminnie is offline  
#1760 Old 01-06-2016, 09:34 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnieminnie View Post
It's been awhile since I've seen that documentary, but I believe it only addressed the amount of sugar/processed foods that kids consume. It was slightly terrifying.
That is always what they talk about, the sugar. What about the meat, the milk, the saturated fats? Arrrgh so annoying
skinnieminnie likes this.
LedBoots is offline  
#1761 Old 01-24-2016, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Crouton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 421
I've seen The Hateful Eight twice now in cinema. A great Tarantino film. Amazing if you are able to catch it in the Roadshow version.
Crouton is offline  
#1762 Old 01-28-2016, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Crouton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 421
I recently saw "Room", it's one of the contenders for Best Picture this year at the Oscars. I didn't go in expecting much but it was a mind-blowing film, Brie Larson was amazing in it. Was a very emotional film, I want to see it again.
Crouton is offline  
#1763 Old 01-29-2016, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
I've seen The Hateful Eight twice now in cinema. A great Tarantino film. Amazing if you are able to catch it in the Roadshow version.
I love that movie! I figured I'd enjoy it since I'm a Tarantino fan but I didn't expect it to stick with me as much as it did, for what seemed like a silly western spoof at first it sure had some hard hitting moments.
no whey jose likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#1764 Old 01-29-2016, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
I also just saw The Hateful Eight at the cinema! I love Tarantino and he did not disappoint.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
no whey jose is offline  
#1765 Old 01-29-2016, 01:40 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Crouton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
I love that movie! I figured I'd enjoy it since I'm a Tarantino fan but I didn't expect it to stick with me as much as it did, for what seemed like a silly western spoof at first it sure had some hard hitting moments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I also just saw The Hateful Eight at the cinema! I love Tarantino and he did not disappoint.
Did either of you have the privilege of seeing the roadshow version of the film, or did you see the regular cinema screening of it?
Crouton is offline  
#1766 Old 01-29-2016, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
Did either of you have the privilege of seeing the roadshow version of the film, or did you see the regular cinema screening of it?
Unfortunately, just the regular screening. What did I miss out on?
no whey jose is offline  
#1767 Old 01-29-2016, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Crouton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Unfortunately, just the regular screening. What did I miss out on?
I'm not going to lie, it was pretty impressive. The Roadshow version of the film was only being shown in 6 cinemas in the whole of Australia, and thankfully one of them was just one suburb away from me. It was so few cinemas because no other cinemas have the equipment to screen a film that way.

The film was originally shot in 70mm film, and to this date only a small handful of films have been shot on this type of camera. It provides a different aspect ratio with a very wide and incredibly detailed image. And roadshow refers to the way the film is delivered to the audience. When it starts, there is no ads, no trailers, instead the film opens with an overture. There is also an intermission, and you get a printed program to take home. Films haven't been shown in this way now for over 50 years.

With these things combined, seeing the Hateful Eight 70mm and roadshow really is amazing, it's not just another case of going to catch a movie, it really feels like a big event.

I saw the film twice, once roadshow and once regular. Just from my own memory, I counted at least 6 changed scenes in the regular version, with footage cut out. I also noticed odd blurring where they had to edit down the film to fit normal cinema screens. Apparently the full length of footage removed from the regular version is 6 minutes.
no whey jose likes this.
Crouton is offline  
#1768 Old 01-29-2016, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crouton View Post
I'm not going to lie, it was pretty impressive. The Roadshow version of the film was only being shown in 6 cinemas in the whole of Australia, and thankfully one of them was just one suburb away from me. It was so few cinemas because no other cinemas have the equipment to screen a film that way.

The film was originally shot in 70mm film, and to this date only a small handful of films have been shot on this type of camera. It provides a different aspect ratio with a very wide and incredibly detailed image. And roadshow refers to the way the film is delivered to the audience. When it starts, there is no ads, no trailers, instead the film opens with an overture. There is also an intermission, and you get a printed program to take home. Films haven't been shown in this way now for over 50 years.

With these things combined, seeing the Hateful Eight 70mm and roadshow really is amazing, it's not just another case of going to catch a movie, it really feels like a big event.

I saw the film twice, once roadshow and once regular. Just from my own memory, I counted at least 6 changed scenes in the regular version, with footage cut out. I also noticed odd blurring where they had to edit down the film to fit normal cinema screens. Apparently the full length of footage removed from the regular version is 6 minutes.
What an awesome experience. Wish I could have seen it!
no whey jose is offline  
#1769 Old 01-29-2016, 06:13 AM
Newbie
 
ladyfey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 62
I've been rewatching Firefly whenever I get a chance. I got the show on DVD for Christmas. Love it. Second greatest show ever for me. The best show ever being The A-Team, of course.
Crouton likes this.
ladyfey is offline  
#1770 Old 01-29-2016, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Crouton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 421
I never get sick of watching Firefly. I rewatch the series once every few years. I've been taking my DVD copy to conventions and it's now been signed by 5 of the cast members.
Crouton is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off