The Coen brothers remake of True Grit - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-22-2010, 05:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I might be biased, since I love the Coens' work, but that movie looks awesome. Too bad I won't be able to see until Sunday at the earliest.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? -Bill Hicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

It's gotten good reviews. I'm hoping to see it over the holidays. I never saw the original though.
#3 Old 12-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

The original is one of the very few older westerns I like.

No matter how much of the dialogue has been changed, I hope they retained the line Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Fill your hands, you SONOFA*****!

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? -Bill Hicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I have never seen the original, but being a huge Coen Brothers fan, I think I should see this. I will see if Netflix has the original available.
#5 Old 12-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

It's not a remake of the original. It's an adaptation of the novel.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#6 Old 12-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

It's not a remake of the original. It's an adaptation of the novel.

I understand that.

#7 Old 12-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I look forward to seeing it. I love the Coens' movies.
#8 Old 12-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm really looking forward to it. I have a friend who had a small role in the film.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#9 Old 12-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

If the Coen Bros made it then it's guaranteed to be inappropriate and I'm guaranteed to like it!
#10 Old 12-23-2010, 10:20 PM

I saw it today and absolutely loved it! Jeff Bridges was brilliant. If you are a Coen fan you will love it. If you aren't a Coen fan....well I have no clue because I don't understand you.
#11 Old 01-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

saw it this past Thursday...first theatre movie for 2011.
it's worth seeing it in the theatre. in a word, excellent.
the 3 main characters were awesome. (big Matt Damon fan here.)
sweet cameo by the sweet Barry Pepper.
also, i love those quirky Coen bros and their quirky movies.

carpe vegiem
#12 Old 01-09-2011, 08:46 AM

I just saw it yesterday. Jeff Bridges and the actor they cast for the young girl were brilliant. Well done, I thought.
#13 Old 01-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't imagine this being better than the original so I'm reluctant to see it. Actually, I'm sort of annoyed at the American movie industry's obsession with remaking old movies.

m8itcanw8.com
#14 Old 01-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

I can't imagine this being better than the original so I'm reluctant to see it. Actually, I'm sort of annoyed at the American movie industry's obsession with remaking old movies.

Actually, as someone who likes old movies more than new movies...I hate the original movie.

In fact, I am very reluctant to see this new movie based on my disliking of the old one...even though I am aware that this movie is not based on it.

However I agree with you...I am very annoyed at the constant remakes.
#15 Old 01-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's not a 'remake'! I also dislike the obsession with remaking old movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her Jazz View Post

Actually, as someone who likes old movies more than new movies...I hate the original movie.

In fact, I am very reluctant to see this new movie based on my disliking of the old one...even though I am aware that this movie is not based on it.

However I agree with you...I am very annoyed at the constant remakes.

What did you hate about it?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#16 Old 01-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

My husband and I saw this last weekend. I enjoyed it, he thought it was only ok.
#17 Old 01-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

My husband and I saw this last weekend. I enjoyed it, he thought it was only ok.

Was that because he was expecting it to be different? It was pretty sparse in a number of ways (dialog, action).

#18 Old 01-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What did you hate about it?

John Wayne's monotone voice and inability to be anything but John Wayne in every role. The theme song *cringe*. GLEN CAMPBELL. The girl is very annoying also after a while as she seems to be in a constant state of hyperactivity and nothing like what I would expect a real life tough girl to be. (as in general, women/girls in movies are rarely portrayed as being close to the real thing IMO) Bad stereotypes and predictable dialogue also abound.

Well, you asked.

Can you tell that my mother is a huge fan of this movie and has made me sit through it many times?
#19 Old 01-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her Jazz View Post

John Wayne's monotone voice and inability to be anything but John Wayne in every role. The theme song *cringe*. GLEN CAMPBELL. The girl is very annoying also after a while as she seems to be in a constant state of hyperactivity and nothing like what I would expect a real life tough girl to be. (as in general, women/girls in movies are rarely portrayed as being close to the real thing IMO) Bad stereotypes and predictable dialogue also abound.

Well, you asked.

Can you tell that my mother is a huge fan of this movie and has made me sit through it many times?

I *did* ask and I'm glad you told! I love film talk, used to be a film reviewer for a magazine.

This film is very different, especially the girl! The girl pretty much kicks @$$ and is NOT hyperactive in any way. This is really HER story.

#20 Old 01-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I *did* ask and I'm glad you told! I love film talk, used to be a film reviewer for a magazine.

This film is very different, especially the girl! The girl pretty much kicks @$$ and is NOT hyperactive in any way. This is really HER story.

If my mother were living nearby, I would probably take her to go see it...but without a companion, I don't think I'll bother to see it in the theater. Perhaps when the DVD release is available.

Thanks for the recommendation.
#21 Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Was that because he was expecting it to be different? It was pretty sparse in a number of ways (dialog, action).

Yeah I think he was expecting a little more action, more depth.
#22 Old 01-09-2011, 09:55 AM

I have never seen the first movie or read the book and I had no clue what this movie was about! When I went to see it, based off the title, I thought it was going to be some stupid comedy.

The movie was really good! I have to admit, during the beginning I was a little bored, but I am not sure if it was the movie or my expectations. I would definitely see it again, I loved the girl, she was awesome! Pretty bad ass for a 14 year old.
#23 Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's not a 'remake'!

from IMDB:
True Grit (2010)
Following the murder of her father by hired hand Tom Chaney, 14-year-old farm girl Mattie Ross sets out to capture the killer. To aid her, she hires the toughest U.S. marshal she can find, a man with "true grit," Reuben J. "Rooster" Cogburn.

From IMDB:
True Grit (1969)
The murder of her father sends a teenage tomboy, Mattie Ross, (Kim Darby), on a mission of "justice", which involves avenging her father's death. She recruits a tough old marshal, "Rooster" Cogburn (John Wayne), because he has "grit", and a reputation of getting the job done.

If you think the film True Grit isn't a remake of the 1969 film of the same name, then what is it?

m8itcanw8.com
#24 Old 01-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw True Grit yesterday. I think my expectations were a little high, since I have loved everything the Coen Brothers have done thus far. I thought the movie was okay. I like the way the characters spoke, and some of the conversations were quite humorous.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I didn't like the Hollywood-esque way that all of the main characters survived. I thought the girl was so fearless that it was not believable. I thought the band of criminals was way too nice, and the scene with the snakes was a bit campy, in an Indiana Jones way. Also, anytime somebody was in big trouble, there was always someone there to save them at the last minute.

Quote:

from IMDB:
True Grit (2010)
Following the murder of her father by hired hand Tom Chaney, 14-year-old farm girl Mattie Ross sets out to capture the killer. To aid her, she hires the toughest U.S. marshal she can find, a man with "true grit," Reuben J. "Rooster" Cogburn.

From IMDB:
True Grit (1969)
The murder of her father sends a teenage tomboy, Mattie Ross, (Kim Darby), on a mission of "justice", which involves avenging her father's death. She recruits a tough old marshal, "Rooster" Cogburn (John Wayne), because he has "grit", and a reputation of getting the job done.

If you think the film True Grit isn't a remake of the 1969 film of the same name, then what is it?

I think the point she is trying to make is that it's just another adaptation of the novel.
#25 Old 01-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

from IMDB:
True Grit (2010)

From IMDB:
True Grit (1969)

I did hear that the 2010 adaptation followed more closely to the novel (I haven't read it yet), but the differences were minor between the films.

I watched the original last night on AMC. I heart John Wayne.

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
#26 Old 01-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I saw True Grit yesterday. I think my expectations were a little high, since I have loved everything the Coen Brothers have done thus far. I thought the movie was okay. I like the way the characters spoke, and some of the conversations were quite humorous.

I didn't like the Hollywood-esque way that all of the main characters survived. I thought the girl was so fearless that it was not believable. I thought the band of criminals was way too nice, and the scene with the snakes was a bit campy, in an Indiana Jones way. Also, anytime somebody was in big trouble, there was always someone there to save them at the last minute.

I actually think the movie would have been better if the girl had died in the pit she fell in. Like she got her revenge, but it wound up killing her in the end. Bring up the whole question of whether vengeance is really worth it.
#27 Old 01-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's an adaptation of the novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I think the point she is trying to make is that it's just another adaptation of the novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockette79 View Post

I did hear that the 2010 adaptation followed more closely to the novel...

#28 Old 01-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

They're both adaptations of the novel but the film is still being remade. All over the media this film is being referred to by everyone as a remake, as films that have been made before always are, but on VB we have the sort of posters who want to disagree with the bloody obvious just for the sake of it because they LIKE to disagree. You're the sort of person who would argue that the sky's red and not blue.

m8itcanw8.com
#29 Old 01-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

They're both adaptations of the novel but the film is still being remade. All over the media this film is being referred to by everyone as a remake, as films that have been made before always are, but on VB we have the sort of posters who want to disagree with the bloody obvious just for the sake of it because they LIKE to disagree. You're the sort of person who would argue that the sky's red and not blue.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm not disagreeing for the SAKE of disagreeing, I'm disagreeing because what is being said is not true. No need for personal attacks. The people who MADE the film insist that it is NOT a remake and that's why I'm doing the same.

#30 Old 01-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockette79 View Post

I did hear that the 2010 adaptation followed more closely to the novel (I haven't read it yet), but the differences were minor between the films.

Agreed. This Mattie wasn't nearly as annoying as Kim Darby, and the cinematography was gorgeous (yea for Roger Deakins), but I didn't see any substantial differences apart from the epilogue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page