The Walking Dead (WARNING: Contains Spoilers) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-22-2010, 10:49 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

Who has been watching this show? There are only two episodes in the season left, and last night episodes was so intense! I can't be the only one since AMC owns television basically with Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Rubicon, and this show.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I'm watching. I didn't know there was only 2 eps left, though. That makes only 6 in a season. That's strange. Have you read any of the comics? I think the show has a lot of the same problems that the comic did.
#3 Old 11-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I watched the first episode on Hulu, but they don't have any other eps. Last night's episode was written by the guy who wrote the comics. I haven't read them, tho. I heart zombies so much, I want to watch the rest of this series!

Nec Aspera Terrent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Ahh thank you for making a separate thread about this. I was just about to do that after last night's kick ass episode. I LOVE this show. It just keeps getting better and I don't want to end ever!

I have not read the comics but seeing as we only have two more episodes left I just don't know if I can control myself not to read the comics and find out all the spoilers. I love being surprised by all the plotlines/situations but at the same time waiting for Season 2 is going to be torture!!

I don't know wtf AMC was thinking about only ordering 6 episodes for the first season. I read that they weren't sure how well it would do among viewers so that's why the only scheduled a small amount of episodes. I bet they are kicking themselves now. Although they haven't started filming the second season they are going to do 13 (I think that's what I read) episodes.

I've never watched any of the other AMC shows although I know they are hugely popular as well. Everything about The Walking Dead is amazing. I love the gore, violence, horror, character development and storylines.
#5 Old 11-22-2010, 12:32 PM

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the problem I hate the most is the inconsistent zombification. A few minutes? A day? After they are buried like Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
when shane dies in the comics?
it's annoying.

#6 Old 11-22-2010, 12:32 PM

the spoiler inside the spoiler is about thecomics

#7 Old 11-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I've only seen an episode and a half. I really hate zombie things but i really love the show so far.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#8 Old 11-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

My bf is really big on this show. He's been trying to get me to watch it. I'm just really disinterested with TV--all TV--at the moment.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#9 Old 11-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Ira
Banned

i want to watch it but i always keep on forgetting
#10 Old 11-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

My bf is really big on this show. He's been trying to get me to watch it. I'm just really disinterested with TV--all TV--at the moment.

Aww at least give it a try. Your bf knows what he is talking about.
#11 Old 11-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm disappointed by the overall production values on the show. The acting is subpar, often hammy and unbelievable, and the image quality is particularly annoying. The picture is grainy and night sequences have that weird hazy look that video gets in low lighting. Which brings to mind the generally poor quality of lighting and color effects in the show.

I want to like the show, but I guess it's unreasonable for it to outgrow the short coming of the comic, namely the simplistic character types.
#12 Old 11-22-2010, 05:50 PM

The Walking Dead is very fascinating. Some things are kinda... hokey and funny. But it's still very good, and I'm excited to see the next two episodes! =D
#13 Old 11-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

#14 Old 11-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

I'm loving this show so far, it will be hard to wait for the second season. Sure, some of the situations and characters are overblown and silly but it's ZOMBIES! Zombies and cheesy acting go hand in hand

The end of that last episode was so creepy, and there are some fantastic looking dead people. The girl with no jaw and her tongue hanging out was especially impressive.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#15 Old 11-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

My only real complaint so far is that the language is so tame. I was under the impression it would be fairly true to the books, short of the f-bomb.

Oh, and Andrea was much younger than that.

Last night's episode was pretty kick-ass, though.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? -Bill Hicks
#16 Old 11-23-2010, 02:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled_expatriate View Post

I was thinking about creating a separate thread for this show. I'm an avid watcher of anything zombie-ish and apocalyptic.

I found it strange that there will only be six episodes this season, but that's my only reason for disappointment so far. Who would have thought that those seemingly hardened vatos were actually caretakers for the elderly? Haha. I CANNOT WAIT until Rick catches wind of his wife's infidelity with his own best friend. She was cruel in tossing aside Shane like yesterday's garbage the second her husband reemerged. Also, Amy shouldn't have been killed off so soon because she was a pleasure to look at, while she lasted.

Best part imo was the "killer dogs". Haha I loved that! And yeah I totally did not see the whole caretaker thing coming but I thought it was pretty awesome. I hope we see more of them or at least get an update about them later on in the series. I do not like Rick's wife at all. I wouldn't mind seeing her get zombified. I wasn't all that surprised about Amy because for some reason I feel like anything could happen at any moment including killing off somewhat main characters.

I love how even when there's no action going on the show seems to concentrate on the characters' emotions and it's still really intense and never boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post

My only real complaint so far is that the language is so tame. I was under the impression it would be fairly true to the books, short of the f-bomb..

Seems like AMC would push the limits a bit with the language since they don't hold back at all when it comes to the gore (which I agree is fantastic and impressively realistic).
#17 Old 11-23-2010, 04:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I do not like Rick's wife at all. I wouldn't mind seeing her get zombified.

She was a bigger PITA in the books, but it's early, yet.

Ummm, nah. Too much spoiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I wasn't all that surprised about Amy because for some reason I feel like anything could happen at any moment including killing off somewhat main characters.

As of book six, only three of the characters you've met so far are still alive. Well, four.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? -Bill Hicks
#18 Old 11-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I just saw the 4th episode. That was a really good one. I thought a few parts in the first three episodes were a bit predictable but it is very tense and watchable.

(I'm not reading through this thread in case I read anything I didn't know about it.)
#19 Old 11-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

She was a bigger PITA in the books, but it's early, yet.

Ummm, nah. Too much spoiler.

As of book six, only three of the characters you've met so far are still alive. Well, four.

Oh interesting. I must read the books now!!
#20 Old 11-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

#21 Old 11-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the show and look forward to it every week! A shame I've read the comics and gripe at the differences at times. Still a lot better than I was expecting though.

Quote:

Uhh...

You forgot Carl and Sophia?! Won't somebody please think of the children!

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#22 Old 11-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcone View Post

Uhh...

You forgot Carl and Sophia?! Won't somebody please think of the children!

Ooops, five. I did forget Sophia.

#23 Old 11-24-2010, 06:30 PM

they only did 6 episodes for this season because they weren't sure of the reaction. there will be 13 next season.

#24 Old 11-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I LIKE it, it's watchable and I love Andrew Lincoln, but it's a bit crappy. It's like every zombie cliche ever crushed into one show.
#25 Old 11-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

I LIKE it, it's watchable and I love Andrew Lincoln, but it's a bit crappy. It's like every zombie cliche ever crushed into one show.

Hahaha yeah, and the acting is so hammy and over the top and there are so many cartoonish stereotypes.

But you know, I just figure that's the way it goes with zombies. This show still has higher production value than any horror type show I've ever seen before, and there are enough great moments to make up for the cheese in my opinion.

Still, they could cool it with the sexist stuff a little couldn't they? All the bits about how women are so silly and emotional and are worrying about photo albums and wrapping paper in the middle of an apocalypse are starting to annoy me a bit. And only the women are scrubbing peoples dirty underwear at the camp? Gimme a break.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#26 Old 11-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Hahaha yeah, and the acting is so hammy and over the top and there are so many cartoonish stereotypes.

But you know, I just figure that's the way it goes with zombies. This show still has higher production value than any horror type show I've ever seen before, and there are enough great moments to make up for the cheese in my opinion.

Still, they could cool it with the sexist stuff a little couldn't they? All the bits about how women are so silly and emotional and are worrying about photo albums and wrapping paper in the middle of an apocalypse are starting to annoy me a bit. And only the women are scrubbing peoples dirty underwear at the camp? Gimme a break.

Agreed! I can totally deal with the cheese because everything else is great!

The one thing that annoys me about most zombie shows/movies is that they never actually say the word "zombie". It's always the "undead", "the infected", "walkers", "geeks" , or something. It seems like the only movies/shows that use the actual word zombie are zombie comedy movies (for example Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland).
#27 Old 11-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a heart on for zombies, and this show.

SLIGHTLY RANDOM:

I have to say, I'm a big fan of fan-made opening credits rather than the real ones.

Anyone else see these? I was pumped for WEEKS to see the show because I kept watching and re-watching these fan-made credits.

Using images from the comics, Daniel M. Kanemoto rocked it OUT with these. The transition at 0:38 is particularly skillful. I mean, I totally get the need for the show to distance itself from the comics, but still. <3
#28 Old 11-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

I hear ya! The only show I watch at all right now is "Chuck", which is an NBC show. I like zombie shows (what I've seen of them), but don't have cable.

I usually like science-fiction, but somehow even "Fringe" doesn't do anything for me.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#29 Old 11-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I have a heart on for zombies, and this show.

SLIGHTLY RANDOM:

I have to say, I'm a big fan of fan-made opening credits rather than the real ones.

Anyone else see these? I was pumped for WEEKS to see the show because I kept watching and re-watching these fan-made credits.

OMG, the entire programme would be about a hundred times better if those were the opening credits. The real ones are really quite dreadful.
#30 Old 11-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

That is exactly what I said to my hubbie about it!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page