New Tom Hanks & Sandra Bullock Movie - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Set to star in the adaptation of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock are going to play the parents of a nine-year-old vegan.
Quote:
The film follows a quirky nine-year-old vegan/scientist/artist/pacifist who searches for information about a key he finds that belonged to his father, who died in the North Tower in the 9/11 attacks.

-source

I think that's kinda cool. I know we see vegan characters in side-roles and stuff, but it's really cool that a CHILD vegan will be the center of the film.

I know a lot of younger people here struggle with their parents about being vegan... So I think it's a great thing to show that there ARE child vegans.

It should come as no surprise that the book this movie is adapted from is by Jonathan Safran Foer, the author of Eating Animals.

I kind of want to read the book now. Has anyone here read it? Thoughts on the book or the upcoming movie? It's okay if not. I'll read the book and revive the dead thread on my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's portrayed as part of his "quirkiness", although I still think it's a positive thing. I read through the first thirty-something pages, the main character is sort of Holden Caulfield with Aspberger's. It'll be curious to see how they transform it into a movie.
#3 Old 08-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I'd watch it.
Looks like a website say's it's planned to come out in 2012.
I wonder who the kid will be.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Tom Hanks is one of my favorite actors. I can watch just about anything he is in. This however also sounds very interesting. I'll be looking for it in the future.
#5 Old 08-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

I love Tom Hanks, I would totally watch that
#6 Old 08-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

I'd watch it.
Looks like a website say's it's planned to come out in 2012.
I wonder who the kid will be.

It's scheduled for release in 2012; we'll never find out.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#7 Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcone View Post

It's scheduled for release in 2012; we'll never find out.

We have a good chance of finding out. We'll make it through, what? 354 days of 2012? That's almost a 97% chance.
#8 Old 08-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

We have a good chance of finding out. We'll make it through, what? 354 days of 2012? That's almost a 97% chance.

Curses! Foiled again!

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#9 Old 08-23-2010, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I liked the book. It's a very sad story but the little boy is an incredibly earnest and honest narrator. Some of his misconceptions are heartbreaking, really. I really hope the movie turns out well. I'll be sure to go see it (although I'm sure I'll have forgotten about it by the time it rolls around ).

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#10 Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

An old thread, but this will be coming out later in the month: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477302/

http://extremelyloudandincrediblyclo...com/index.html

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#11 Old 01-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I loved this book! He's a vegan except for his one exception which is for freeze-dried ice cream (astronaut food, donchaknow).

I'm excited about a movie version, but I'm sure I won't like it as much as I liked the book.
#12 Old 01-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

A most excellent book.

I'm hoping the movie makes its way out to the sticks where I live cause I'd love to see it in the theatre.

J.Safran-Foer also wrote 'Everything is Illuminated' - another great book about a young man who ventures to the Ukraine in search of some clues about his family's past. This was made into a movie - and turned out rather well in my opinion. Here is one of the scenes in which the character attempts to explain his vegetarianism...so funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahx4q58PBVE

There is no such thing as truth. People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up. - Tom Waits
#13 Old 01-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post

A most excellent book.

I'm hoping the movie makes its way out to the sticks where I live cause I'd love to see it in the theatre.

J.Safran-Foer also wrote 'Everything is Illuminated' - another great book about a young man who ventures to the Ukraine in search of some clues about his family's past. This was made into a movie - and turned out rather well in my opinion. Here is one of the scenes in which the character attempts to explain his vegetarianism...so funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahx4q58PBVE

I liked that movie, I should read that book...

I sometimes use the "It's not here for you, you are here for it..." when I can work in into a conversation.
#14 Old 01-15-2012, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't really care for the Everything is Illuminated film. It was going for that forced quirkiness that's so popular in films these days, it grated a lot. It had some really beautiful moments but I couldn't get over how it mostly failed to get across the book. Everything was so much funnier in the book. I have a feeling that if I watched it again, I might like it a bit more but I was so angry at the time that I left the DVD at my friend's

Saw the trailer for this new film the other night. It looks like a pile of poo. It doesn't help that I hate both the lead adult actors.
#15 Old 01-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Banned

Think I'll be skipping this one as well. It looks tear-jerkerish as well, and I don't like tear-jerkers.
#16 Old 01-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

Saw the trailer for this new film the other night. It looks like a pile of poo. It doesn't help that I hate both the lead adult actors.

This.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#17 Old 01-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Saw this last weekend. It wasn't so bad. My wife liked it even with Hanks and Bullock and that was one of her main complaints too. The kid did a great job. It's not even close to being as cheesy as the trailer indicates...and it's not really a tear jerker either, just more of a moving story with lots of twists. I think my biggest disappointment with it was the lack of the protagonists interaction with many of the numerous colorful characters he meets up with in the book. Due to time constraints I knew this would be difficult to pull off - but they really could have used some more of those scenes in the movie.

There is no such thing as truth. People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up. - Tom Waits

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page