Big Fish - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-27-2004, 03:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I went to see this movie tonight with a friend of mine.

It wasn't really what I was expecting because an ad I saw for the movie claimed it was the Wizard of Oz of our time. ...which it wasn't.

But it was a great movie nonetheless!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I was surprised at the end when it started to get a bit sappy - I got pretty involved in the movie! At the end when he was going down to the river through his friends I really felt like I knew everyone in the movie really well. There aren't many movies where I've felt that connected to the characters, and for that reason alone I think it was great.

I give it two thumbs up even though I wasn't expecting the movie to be sad (and it was) after hearing that it was similar to The Wizard of Oz, which is far from the truth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2004, 04:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I love this movie! Possibly my favorite movie of 2003.

Perhaps it's because I love Tim Burton films and his mystical film making. I was disappointed that it got dissed at the Golden Globes. Didn't win anything. : ( But a wonderful movie nonetheless.
#3 Old 01-27-2004, 09:18 AM

I'm a huge Tim Burton fan, so I was excited about this movie. I thought it was cute, but I was hoping for it to be a bit more..... exciting? I was a little bored. However, it's hard to be bored for too long when Ewan McGregor is on the screen in front of you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-27-2004, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by missleigh View Post

However, it's hard to be bored for too long when Ewan McGregor is on the screen in front of you!

I wish he had sung!
#5 Old 01-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

i was just about to make this thread mikie

it was SOOOO GOod.
#6 Old 01-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

That was a great movie. My husband says it is Tim Burton's chick flick but, a really good movie.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#7 Old 01-27-2004, 04:42 PM
Banned

I don't get the "chick flick" label on this one because it is all about men.
#8 Old 01-27-2004, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I did not get that either but, that is what he says to everyone.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#9 Old 01-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I was actually really disappointed. Perhaps it was because I was expecting something different. From the trailers it looked like it was about the dad telling all these stories, and then the KID meeting all these characters and finding out the stories were true. That would have been cool. Instead it was basically the dad telling his life story throughout the whole movie...and there wasn't even that much eye-candy! That's what I had heard from people who didn't like it...it was all eye-candy...but all those scenes were shown in the trailer! I don't mean to suggest it was a *bad* movie, just not nearly as good as I had hoped. I need to watch it again sometime from a different perspective, and then maybe I'll like it more.

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#10 Old 01-27-2004, 06:16 PM
Banned

I would not call this a great film, but it is one of the best of the year. I like films that don't wrap up the story in a nice neat little bow and hand it to the viewer all sealed with everything explained. Big Fish was the first film in a while that actually kept me thinking the next day. The only other film of the year that did that for me was Lost in Translation. Come on, here, this is a year that put Seabiscuit on the best picture list. (Not a bad film, but not very deep.)

This is Burton's best film in years. The whole conflict of the son wanting to know who his father "really" is to find that it really doesn't matter in the end. The homage to the Great American Tall Tale (that was as much about the everyday made bigger as mythology.)
#11 Old 01-28-2004, 01:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I could see this being described as a chick flick, because the whole movie is romanticised, and there is a love story at the very heart of the movie. Come on, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
working 3 years at a carnivale to learn the name of a girl you saw in passing so that you could find her and propose on the spot and plant a field of her favorite flowers in front of her dorm room and fight off her boyfriend and win her heart and run off and marry her and live happily ever after in a fansical house in a fansical town.
That's a romanticised chick flick scene if I ever heard one. And that's how much of the movie is. But that's not to say it's not a guys movie too because it is.

Okay, now I have to go watch it again. Just posting about it has put me back in the mood. ; )
#12 Old 01-28-2004, 02:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I would like to see it again too! I think this movie takes two viewings to catch everything.

Tommy Gun - I was expecting more eye candy too, but I wasn't that disappointed. I loved the way they represented a small town (Spector) so much I was happy with just that.
#13 Old 01-28-2004, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought it was a good movie. I didn't think it was sad, I actually felt kind of happy at the end...
#14 Old 01-31-2004, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw it last night and absolutely loved it! I did cry at the end, but it doesn't take much to make me cry anyways.

My interpretation of a chick flick is not that there are a lot of hot chicks in it. My interpretation is its romantic or one of those types of movies that guys as a rule don't care to go see. For example fast cars and killing movies are not considered chick flicks. Now I would consider this a chick flick because the average guy wouldn't want to go see it.
#15 Old 01-31-2004, 03:36 PM

I also did not think this film was what it was advertised to be. I thought it was going to be a lot more whimsical and entertaining then it turned out to be. I thought it was a very good movie though and was glad I went to see it.. and I even teared up at the ending!

I would'nt call it a chick flick though.. the love story part of it was something that a woman (of course) would enjoy, but the rest of the movie was good for all sexes/ages.
#16 Old 01-31-2004, 03:39 PM

I really liked this movie. At first, I was kind of bored with it, but after about 1/2 hour into it I really started to like it. Then, by the end, I fell in love with it and was in tears. Very good!
#17 Old 08-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I finally saw this! I've been waiting for a quiet time where I could actually devote myself to watching it without interruptions. My 10yo and I laid down on the floor, and even though her brother talked through most of it, I can say I saw it! She and I were both wowed. I can tell you it's been a very long time since I've cried at a movie, but this one did it. Man, I want to watch it again.
#18 Old 08-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

It was hyped up and I was disappointed. I liked it alright, and I loooove Tim Burton, but alas, I was expecting more.
#19 Old 08-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I guess since it's been so long since the hype, I could enjoy it more? I think it was an atmosphere thing too. I love being able to watch something not kiddie with one of my kids and have us both enjoy it. And since the movie was about family, it made it that much better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page