The Lady Gaga Appreciation Thread - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-08-2010, 02:36 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

Lady Gaga dropped her second extended length video (over 8 minutes), this time for her song Alejandro, in which there is a lot of shout outs to Madonna -- the comparison she gets most often.

I watched it this morning in sheer awe. It's been a long time since I've seen anything that makes me uncomfortable in anyway, and as the video went along, I just became more and more convinced that not only is Gaga going to destroy the music world (and probably take over the normal world) but that she might just kick start a "fourth wave"(??) of young feminists, I've never seen someone so young be so in charge of their image, be so demanding sexually, aggressively putting herself out there to say -- This is ME, I am a sexy *****, not because men want me to be, or it promises more record sales, but because that's just who I am.

"I love the rumor that I have a penis. I'm fascinated by it. In fact, it makes me love my fans even more that this rumor is in the world because 17,000 of them come to an arena every night and they don't care if i'm a man, a woman, a hermaphrodite, gay, straight, transgendered, or transsexual. They don't care! They are there for the music and the freedom. This has been the greatest accomplishment of my life- to get young people to throw away what society has taught them is wrong. Gay culture is at the very essence of who I am and I will fight for women and for the gay community until I die."

Lady Gaga May 2010

People are afraid of her, or hate her, or whatever, but they are missing the point, entirely. I think people should look at Gaga and realize how amazing, incredible, off the walls my generation is going to be. I don't want to live in a world where Gaga isn't in it.

She's coming for your daughters.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

She does Madonna better than Madonna.

Everyone needs to sign up to the cult of Gaga.
#3 Old 06-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I <3 her. She is a genius.

I do hate each of her songs the first time I hear them and love them each time after that.

Just Dance was my theme song in '08.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-08-2010, 02:51 PM

[Kenickie makes Gnome Chomsky watch the Alejandro video]

GC: hmmm.

don't know quite what to make of subordinated masculinity...like what it says specifically about political fascism and/or third wave feminism.

K: dude

its so ****ing hawt

GC: it's there, but i don't quite know how to interpret all the potent ambiguities. and...er...i concur.

K: i think its up to you to decide!

GC: can there be this type of subordination and partial cooptation of masculinity without background/rendering invisible feminine goods?

that's likely it. quite smart on her part.

she is so much win i can't even think

#5 Old 06-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

(I wrote out a post, then realized this is an appreciation thread. So I'll just include the last bit, which I think qualifies.)

She's certainly interesting, though. And one hell of a self-promoter. And if I were drunk, I bet I could rock out to a couple of her tunes.
#6 Old 06-08-2010, 03:14 PM

yeah i saw that you posted here and came back instantly to bite your head off, as it's an appreciation thread.

also, the music isn't really the point.

i feel like i should maybe even write a paper on all the symbolism that is happening in that video. it's just so overwhelming, i know i still haven't caught everything and i've seen it maybe 9 or 10 times.

#7 Old 06-08-2010, 03:17 PM

NOTE: the linked to video contains scenes of graphic sexual violence, anti religious themes, and other NSFW material.

just sayin', before the mods make me.

#8 Old 06-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

yeah i saw that you posted here and came back instantly to bite your head off, as it's an appreciation thread.

also, the music isn't really the point.

Heh, I behaved though!

And her music isn't the point, really. I completely agree.
#9 Old 06-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I love Lady Gaga. Some of her songs do take me back to 90's pop, but I still like her. I'm been obsessed with trying to find some cheap concert tickets for her lately. She's coming near me in September and I haven't been to a concert in ten years and I realllllllly want to go.
#10 Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 AM

i just can't even imagine where she's gonna go after this.

i mean, i think the only thing she can do now is tackle racism, and i know if she does, it will be brilliant and jarring and horrifying.

#11 Old 06-09-2010, 05:03 PM

#12 Old 06-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

She amazes me. Consistently. I need to watch the video again - there was a lot of it that made me uncomfortable and uncertain. I LOVED that it led with an image of a man in fishnets.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#13 Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm. I pulled a muscle in my right leg while dancing around half-lit to Madonna music videos with a friend. If I tried the same thing to Lady Gaga videos, maybe I'll pull a muscle in my left leg instead.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#14 Old 06-09-2010, 11:34 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

And one hell of a self-promoter.

#15 Old 06-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Banned

I haven't watched Alejandro yet... it's on my too do list but I have to be in the right mood to watch Gaga videos. Listening to Gaga music though... I could do that all day, everyday and never get bored

I love the look on people's faces when I tell them that the main idea behind Poker Face is bisexuality

Lady Gaga
#16 Old 06-14-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy' date='09 June 2010 - 08:36 PM' timestamp='1276140974' post='2655436 View Post

She amazes me. Consistently. I need to watch the video again - there was a lot of it that made me uncomfortable and uncertain. I LOVED that it led with an image of a man in fishnets.

totally, it made me uncomfortable sometimes too

#17 Old 06-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

She is playing in my city on my birthday and I got tix. I'm so, so, SO excited. <3
#18 Old 06-14-2010, 07:11 PM

I absolutely love Lady Gaga, even if I don't absolutely love every song she makes. I think Lady Gaga is just the kind of chick that the music industry needs right now. There's been an overall theme in music over the past several years which I don't think is empowering for women (or other groups), but with artists like Lady Gaga I think that's going to change.

For an example of the attitude I see in music, did you notice that Beyonce kinda stopped to apolagise in the middle of Single Ladies? Or do you notice how when women have sexy videos it usually depicts THEM being sexy (not men), whereas when men have sexy videos it depicts sexy ladies? Or is that all just me? At least the only videos I can actively remember where there was a woman unabashedly getting sexy with multiple guys is Lady Gaga's. Or a video with men in stockings. I'd love to see one where she had men kissing each other. I mean, you always see women kissing each other in videos, why not men?

Her videos don't make me uncomfortable. I'm just glad that someone so mainstream is successfully pushing buttons and whatever's the status quo.
#19 Old 06-15-2010, 12:28 AM

i was kind of uncomfortable with the kinda rape looking part at the end

#20 Old 06-17-2010, 08:10 AM

I got a little uncomfortable in Santigold's video where it looks like she's stomping on that guy's head. Oh but then she's really just stomping on a watermelon so it was all good. But Lady Gaga... Naah..
#21 Old 06-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I've read that she dresses "inappropriately", and those pictures indicate that is the case. To me, it shows lack of talent when a celebrity has to cause controversy like she does.
#22 Old 06-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I LOVE Lady Gaga! I don't think there is one song of hers that I don't love!

Atame.
#23 Old 06-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1' date='17 June 2010 - 05:42 PM' timestamp='1276810957' post='2660081 View Post

I've read that she dresses "inappropriately", and those pictures indicate that is the case. To me, it shows lack of talent when a celebrity has to cause controversy like she does.

Define inappropriate. I mean, yeah, probably not appropriate for 8 year olds but I like to think that most adults are mature enough to handle a little skin. This isn't Saudi Arabia or something.

As for my opinion on the Lady, I'm not Gaga over her music but I like her videos and I agree that she's a great performer.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#24 Old 06-17-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRose' date='17 June 2010 - 08:10 AM' timestamp='1276787439' post='2659860 View Post

I got a little uncomfortable in Santigold's video where it looks like she's stomping on that guy's head. Oh but then she's really just stomping on a watermelon so it was all good. But Lady Gaga... Naah..

so you're made uncomfortable by fruit death but not by rape???? weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1' date='17 June 2010 - 02:42 PM' timestamp='1276810957' post='2660081 View Post

first: this is an appreciation thread.

two: i chose the pictures I liked the best for this thread. dresses inappropriately? you know she designs all of the clothes she wears, right? she's not just a puppet of her publicist, like most are nowadays. that's what SHE wants to look like, so she does it.

heres the SECOND PHOTO that pops up in google when you type in Lady Gaga:

totally inappropriate.

#25 Old 06-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1' date='17 June 2010 - 05:42 PM' timestamp='1276810957' post='2660081 View Post

Yeah, what do you mean by "inappropriately"? Do you mean that she shows skin, or that she dresses wacky?

I don't know that Gaga causes controversy because she feels she has to. ("Just Dance" was a mega-hit before Gaga was known for lobster hats and bisexuality.) I think she is genuinely that wacky. In an awesome way. I wouldn't even say that she's "controversial." I think she makes people uncomfortable, but she doesn't say anything shockingly political or scandalous. She's just very, very different. Anyway, it's not like this is an industry where people never make money off of anything other than their talent.

I've seen Gaga live twice and she's actually really talented. She has an amazing voice, she plays piano and writes her own music, and she can dance in platform heels for like an hour and a half straight. She's just so freaking awesome. Mother Monster 4 Life
#26 Old 06-17-2010, 09:11 PM

girl gang signs

#27 Old 06-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Banned

The night I had to spend in a hotel full of her fans seeing one of her concerts was one of the most unpleasant nights of my life. Her concert fans are loud, annoying, obnoxious and inconsiderate. Jay Z fans filled the same hotel the next week and they were, in comparison, pleasant and considerate.
#28 Old 06-18-2010, 12:39 AM

right, judge the artist by their fans...

i now dislike the cure because all of their fans are suicidal goth cokeheads, i now dislike Tool because their fans are all LSDed out stoners from the deserts of california, etc etc

are you sure the jay - z fans in what, wales? weren't all just a bunch of 35 year old white yuppies who try not to step on each others shoes while they fake crip walk at his show?

those people would certainly seem polite in comparison.

#29 Old 06-18-2010, 02:33 AM
Veggie Regular

The video linked to plays like a 9 minute leather fashion show.

Hard to watch.
#30 Old 06-18-2010, 04:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Jeez louise, this appreciation thread is turning into a bunch of people with hate-ons.

One thing I love about Gaga is how much her music gets appropriated by fans:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK2F2iBVOvo[/media]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page