VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Entertainment Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/18-entertainment-forum/)
-   -   American Idol, Season 9 (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/18-entertainment-forum/108324-american-idol-season-9-a.html)

Amy SF 01-03-2010 08:17 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idol_(season_9)

It must be snowballing in the Bad Place, because I'm actually considering tuning in for the first time ever.

Season 9 starts next week on January 12th.

For those of you who have been watching all along, is there any advice you can give me? Will you miss Paula Abdul or have you been going "good riddance" since the news hit that she bailed from the show? What do you think about Ellen DeGeneres as a judge? Are you itching to tell me, "Amy, calm down, sit back, relax and just enjoy the show." or are you itching to tell me that the show has gone way downhill and I shouldn't bother?

Is Simon Cowell REALLY as nasty as he's supposed to be, and do you like that or hate that?

Let's make this the official AI Season 9 thread.

(The link looks like it's broken, but there IS a separate article for Season 9. For now, at least, we have to go through the main AI article to get to the Season 9 entry.)

WonderRandy 01-03-2010 08:50 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Since I don't normally watch TV, I don't get the pre-show hype and build up. But I'll start tuning in now!! yay!!! Idol rocks!!

frame69 01-04-2010 11:16 PM

What a load of cobblers.

Frame.

aileen 01-05-2010 02:07 PM

I'm excited. The first few weeks during auditions are the best because there's always the funny horrible people. I personally love American Idol. I never vote, but I love it. Paula, eh. I don't really care. I LOVE Ellen so that should be interesting. Simon is pretty harsh, but I think we're all used to it by now and enjoy his remarks.

chryssiie718 01-05-2010 02:54 PM

I like AI and have been watching for several seasons. I don't really care that Paula is gone as I enjoy Ellen quite a bit. She brings a lighthearted funny tone to the show. Simon is fun because he can be so mean. I don't think I would enjoy the show without him... and I have heard this may be his last season. I agree the auditions are hilarious and sometimes I lose interest after them until near the end of the season. I do enjoy all the different talent styles. I don't vote either though I did when I had AT&T and could text them in.

sallyomally 01-05-2010 06:56 PM

Bad auditions! I can't wait!

rainforests1 01-09-2010 01:20 PM

I haven't seen too many commercials so I don't know what to expect. I liked Paula so I'm not sure about Ellen. I hope she knows music adequately enough. I may not watch it after this season, as I am getting more and more sick of the show. I hope I enjoy this season.

WonderRandy 01-09-2010 01:44 PM

I hate the audition episodes, because of the way the producers really hype some performers with lots of airtime, and others don't ever get seen, even if they know they're gonna move on to Hollywood or the semi-finals. I also HATE the bad auditions. Hate them.

Amy SF 01-13-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I hate the audition episodes, because of the way the producers really hype some performers with lots of airtime, and others don't ever get seen, even if they know they're gonna move on to Hollywood or the semi-finals. I also HATE the bad auditions. Hate them.

It's the same way with So You Think You Can Dance. Some people get overhyped, and some people get no airtime at all. And then comes Vegas Week, and all of a sudden there are dancers who are so good that they're being considered for the Top 20, and you have no idea who they are because you never saw their auditions.

And okay. So I watched my first AI ever last night. Season 9 premiere, Boston, Part 1. What did I think? I experienced nearly two hours of the sensation of fingernails being scratched on a chalkboard, punctuated only occasionally by singing so lovely the angels must have been weeping with joy, or at least, sitting up and taking notice. I heard way too much chatting between the judges and the contestants, more so than on SYTYCD, and way too much kibitzing and sniping between the judges themselves, more so than on SYTYCD. It all just made me yearn for the next season of SYTYCD, which won't arrive until May.

Oh, and I certainly found myself pretty much agreeing with everything Simon Cowell said, including that 28 year old guy who sang like a 14 year old. I curse those boy bands of the last 25 years or so for the current trend of singing like you're 14 years old.

sallyomally 01-13-2010 07:03 PM

My most favorite audition ever!!!!!!!! Be warned- this song will find a home in your head and never leave .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE6t9z46Ovo

Suezo 01-13-2010 07:14 PM

That was definitely the highlight of tonight's show!

WonderRandy 01-13-2010 11:04 PM

Pants on the ground!

Amy SF 01-14-2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Pants on the ground!

sallyomally 01-14-2010 04:50 PM

....lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground!

Gotta love it!

Tori~CL 01-15-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Pants on the ground!

That was darn funny!

Season 8 was so awesome with Adam and all. I'm curious if this year can top that.

rainforests1 01-15-2010 10:31 AM

I liked one of the Country singers but she seemed nervous. That can't be a good sign. Nobody else stood out to me. Otherwise it seems like we've seen this same show before.

Kellye 01-15-2010 10:34 AM

I'm not watching this year. Each year I think the show gets worse and worse. And the product placement ads....YEESH. (Plus...I don't have cable anymore.)

I loved Paula Abdul on the show, but I think Ellen will do a good job. If Simon leaves, it'll all go to hell.

sallyomally 01-15-2010 01:12 PM

Yeah, the ads are pretty awesome aren't they? I miss Paula but am looking forward to seeing Ellen on the show. Last season was one that stood out, so we'll have to see what happens. I agree that without Simon, there would be no show.

Eleven 01-15-2010 06:51 PM

About the "Pants on the Ground" guy:

General Larry Platt isn't just a wannabe American Idol, he's a bona fide American hero. The man was even honored with his own holiday in Atlanta, Larry Platt Day, on September 4, 2001, for his "priceless and immeasurable contributions to society" and "his great energy and commitment to equality and the protection of the innocent and for his outstanding service to the Atlanta community and the citizens of Georgia.".

On that fateful day, the Georgia General Assembly declared: "For the past 40 years, Larry Platt has given of himself in service to the people of the City of Atlanta, the State of Georgia, and the nation...Larry Platt merits the highest recognition for his many valuable contributions to the Civil Rights Movement and his dedication to the struggle for equality and human rights."

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/rea...american-idol/

rainforests1 01-16-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

I'm not watching this year. Each year I think the show gets worse and worse. And the product placement ads....YEESH. (Plus...I don't have cable anymore.)

I loved Paula Abdul on the show, but I think Ellen will do a good job. If Simon leaves, it'll all go to hell.

It's on Fox so I don't see why you'd need cable. I agree with most of everything else you said. There are rumors Simon will have his own show(with Paula as one of the judges too) so I think Fox would be better off having that show and getting rid of Idol altogether. I'd rather not see Idol turn out the same way Survivor has.

karenlovessnow 01-16-2010 03:10 PM

I'm not a fan of the audition portion of the show...I end up feeling bad for the people who get made fun of.

I start watching when it comes down to the top 24.

I don't think I'll miss Paula all that much, even though I liked her on the show, mainly because I love, love, love Ellen.

I will definitely miss Simon, though. Plus I think he's mellowed considerably since the show first started.

sallyomally 01-18-2010 04:14 PM

rainforests1 01-20-2010 07:03 AM

I went to a discussion on helping relieve stress and improving memory so I missed most of the show Tuesday. Miss anything? Shania Twain didn't appear too intelligent from what I saw.

sallyomally 01-20-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

I went to a discussion on helping relieve stress and improving memory so I missed most of the show Tuesday. Miss anything? Shania Twain didn't appear too intelligent from what I saw.

I fell asleep shortly after the show began so cant' help much there. I have it recorded but haven't watched it yet. I heard there was a 19 year old who sang a Duffy tune and impressed the judges. I agree with you. Shania acted sort of weird.

rainforests1 01-22-2010 12:04 PM

I actually have expectations for Shania, so she did fall below them from what I saw. I'm interested to see how Avril does next week as a judge. She doesn't seem very bright from what I have seen of her talking, so it'll be funny to watch.

rainforests1 01-22-2010 12:14 PM

From what I've read, Idol is still dominating the TV ratings in the United States. My father thinks the ratings will take a nose dive when Ellen comes in, but I think it could go either way.

WonderRandy 01-25-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

From what I've read, Idol is still dominating the TV ratings in the United States. My father thinks the ratings will take a nose dive when Ellen comes in, but I think it could go either way.

Your father is dead wrong. Ellen on the show will really give it a ratings boost. I would put money on it.

rainforests1 01-26-2010 07:41 AM

Quote:

Your father is dead wrong. Ellen on the show will really give it a ratings boost. I would put money on it.

I don't watch her much at all. I know she was a comedian, but is she really that funny?

fadeaway1289 01-26-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

I don't watch her much at all. I know she was a comedian, but is she really that funny?

Ellen if very funny and vegan and just all around awesome. I agree with Randy that the ratings will definetly go up with her on the show. She has a large fanbase and I'm sure most people who usually don't watch American Idol will now tune in just for her. I despise everything about American Idol but will probably catch a few shows here and there to see her.

Tori~CL 01-26-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Cool of the coolest.