Animal Rights/Welfare and Veg*an Oriented Television Alerts - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

By this new thread, I hope to have an umbrella thread in which episodic television, whether scripted or reality, addresses the issues of Animal Rights and Welfare as well as the veg*an diet and lifestyle and the people who are involved in Animal Rights and Welfare and those who are committed to a veg*an diet and lifestyle.

First out of the gate today is an episode of Bones, which will air on Fox tonight (Thursday November 5th) at 8 pm Eastern and Pacific and 7 pm Central time. This episode was postponed from last week due to the World Series. Here's the synopsis:

Quote:
Remains of a chicken farmer are found on the bank of a nearby river, and Booth and Brennan are called in to investigate. The farmer, who was an animal right activist, was about to inherit a chicken factory and had many enemies with motive to kill him -- leaving the team with a lot of murder suspects to sort through.

Here's a link: http://www.tv.com/bones/the-tough-ma...2/summary.html

I plan to sticky this thread so it can be found easily if somebody has a new episode to post an alert for.

For those of you who post these alerts, please post links to other sites whenever possible, and for heaven's sake, for anyone who wants to discuss these episodes, for the first day or so after it airs, please use spoiler tags in case some of us haven't had a chance to watch it right away and will catch it on our VCR or Tivo or on the internet later. Thanks.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Emily Deschanel is vegan (Bones), and there are quite a few animal rights messages in many of the episodes. In one from 2006 that was on TNT last night, they went to a pig farm, and she shot one of the bullet stunners that go into the pigs head into a fence, and she said "I think I just became a vegetarian."

There was also an episode that talked about how bad circuses are, I think there was one that well talking how zoos are bad, and there is a lot of positive veg*n talk throughout the seasons.

I love this show, and I watch it every Thursday. ^_^ (Except for the last few weeks, since baseball was on...)

Yeah, you can watch Bones on Hulu.com, too. The episodes usually take a day to make it to the website.

Annnnywys, this is a great thread. I've been noticing over the past month and a half a lot of veg*n talk in some shows (like Psych). Whether it's positive or not is a different story...

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#3 Old 11-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Last week there was a "vegetarian" challenge on Top Chef. The guest star was Natalie Portman and the chef contestants had to prepare a vegetarian meal for her. The episode might be up on hulu. Although I will post a warning that none of their dishes were impressive so it made the episode a bit disappointing. The chefs are incredibly talented and even feature many vegetarian dishes at the restaurants they currently work at or own so it's a bit of a shocker that they sucked so bad at this challenge.

Over the summer Bravo also had a show called Top Chef Masters which featured many famous chefs competing in a Top Chef style challenges were the money they won went to charities. There was an episode where they cooked for Zooey Deschanel and had a vegan challenge. Their dishes and recipes were a lot better and worthy of attempting to try to replicate.

Information on these shows can be found at bravotv.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

The Simpsons episode Lisa the Vegetarian is on right now. But will be over in 5 minutes.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#5 Old 05-02-2010, 07:25 AM

There are a lot of Simpsons episodes that deal with animal and environmental issues actually.

I know this show is kind of dorky and I'm sure a lot of people refuse to watch it, but I think it's entertaining ABC Family has "10 Things I Hate About You" and Kat is a vegetarian and in one of the recent episodes "Meat is Murder" they did a whole storyline of meat not being environmentally friendly and trying to get the school to do Meatless Mondays.
#6 Old 05-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewriteidea View Post

There are a lot of Simpsons episodes that deal with animal and environmental issues actually.

I know this show is kind of dorky and I'm sure a lot of people refuse to watch it, but I think it's entertaining ABC Family has "10 Things I Hate About You" and Kat is a vegetarian and in one of the recent episodes "Meat is Murder" they did a whole storyline of meat not being environmentally friendly and trying to get the school to do Meatless Mondays.

Thank you for this! This is why I created this thread, to alert VB readers to this kind of television. Even if it's something that we don't watch on a regular basis, if we knew about it, we might tune in, or hunt down the episode on the internet or DVD, just to show a little support and see how well it's done (or not).

#7 Old 05-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Medium - CBS

Episode Guide > Season 6, Episode 21

Dead Meat

Air Date: Friday May 14, 2010

Episode Summary

Allison's friendship with a pig could lead to the whereabouts of a missing animal rights activist. Meanwhile, Joe gets a special birthday gift from Marie.

http://www.tv.com/medium/dead-meat/e..._guide;summary

Should be, um, interesting.

Please note the upcoming air date.

I haven't missed an episode of Medium since it first premiered, so I'm definitely tuning in for this one. I'll post after I watch it whether I think it deserves an or a

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page