Apple iTunes + lies = I'm pissed - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-23-2003, 10:58 AM
Banned

Okay I'm still a fan of iTunes (although not of Apple) but I have a few issues to vent: First, I just hit 50 songs purchased. That's $49.50. I don't have $49.50. Stupid addictive toys.

More importantly, what the frenchfries happened to $9.99 albums?!?! I am seeing far too many "partial album" albums that offer *all the songs on the album* for .99 each but b/c they're listed as partial albums, if I want the whole album, I have to pay, for example, $17 (in the case today where I wanted to buy Ice Cube's Greatest Hits).

That's bull.

Besides that HUGE problem, I'm still a fan. It's a great media player at least, plus there are still 99 cent songs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-23-2003, 11:02 AM

One Word - Library

I know it's less convenient and all but you'd be surprised at how many new releases they have. This is at least the case in downtown Clevelands main library. Is that a possibility for you?
#3 Old 12-23-2003, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

One Word - Library [...] Is that a possibility for you?

Perhaps, although I doubt the "downtown" Newark library (the "downtownness" of downtown Newark is a joke) has much of a selection. And to be honest, I'm all for being a responsible music purchaser rather than copying/downloading, but if the cheaper CDs I was promised by the hegemonic record industry doesn't obtain, I'm not going to stay good for long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-23-2003, 12:35 PM

I dig iTunes for a number of reasons, but I have yet to buy a single track. Maybe I'm just stuck in the past, but I like having the CD. Mainly for the superior sound quality, but also for the liner notes and artwork that you don't get when downloading. Yep, CD's are ridiculously overpriced, especially since the artist in most cases receives a pittance of that price. More and more I'm getting my CDs on eBay-new or used, I pay a fraction of what I'd pay at a retailer and it's 100% legal. Maybe not as convenient as iTunes store, but I'm willing to click the mouse a few extra times and when they arrive, rip 'em in iTunes and download 'em to the iPod.
#5 Old 12-23-2003, 12:41 PM

Maxie, you don't own a Mac, right?
#6 Old 12-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyboy View Post

Maybe I'm just stuck in the past, but I like having the CD. Mainly for the superior sound quality, but also for the liner notes and artwork that you don't get when downloading.

The AAC format that iTunes music comes in is CD quality. Not "MP3 CD quality" which ain't CD quality. It's freaking CD quality. So do not fear that aspect of downloading music.

Artwork shmartwork. I throw all my jewel cases and liners away. Meaningless packaging. But that's just me.

Blueapple I'm not answering you b/c I'm not turning this into a Macintosh bashing nor a PC bashing thread. I didn't mention anything about Macintosh. This is about Apple and their music service.
#7 Old 12-23-2003, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I myself download from musicmatch. It works well with my Dell jukebox. Plus I can convert the files to cd, and play them in my cd player if I wish.
#8 Old 12-24-2003, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post

The AAC format that iTunes music comes in is CD quality. Not "MP3 CD quality" which ain't CD quality. It's freaking CD quality. So do not fear that aspect of downloading music.

AAC is definitely superior to MP3, but not CD. You'd have to rip a CD as AIFF to get the same sound quality. Not that AAC isn't really close-most people probably couldn't tell the difference. I have to be listening on a REALLY good system to hear it myself.

Quote:
Artwork shmartwork. I throw all my jewel cases and liners away. Meaningless packaging. But that's just me.

Many times I'll be listening think to myself "damn, this drummer (or horn player, pianist, etc.) kicks ass!" I like being able to check the insert and see who it is. Also nice to have the lyrics when they're included.
#9 Old 12-24-2003, 01:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyboy View Post

AAC is definitely superior to MP3, but not CD. You'd have to rip a CD as AIFF to get the same sound quality. Not that AAC isn't really close-most people probably couldn't tell the difference.

Exactly. I have a "slightly better than average" setup in my car the AAC-source music sounds as good as manufactured CDs. When I really notice the difference is when I have a mix of AAC and "CD quality" MP3s on one CD. Track by track you can definitely tell the difference!
#10 Old 12-25-2003, 03:43 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech...eut/index.html

Sorta related... it has to do with iTunes!
#11 Old 12-25-2003, 08:09 AM
Banned

Thanks DK... That's gonna be... weird... MUSICAL BOTTLECAPS?!?!? Yikes!
#12 Old 11-18-2004, 05:41 AM
fos
Banned

I don't think iTunes would work for me. I listen to a lot of punk music, and, for example, Punk-O-Rama 5 has about 28 songs on there. The CD only costs $5 or less. If I download those songs at .99, its just not cost effecient. Or Ramones-Mania, about $13-15, and there are 30 songs on one cd. Yeah, if I listen to the popular music, where every cd has exactly 12 songs at 3mins. then it'd work out, but most of my music is like 1-2 min. songs. Cds have like 15+ tracks. Even more so, a lot of punk rockers encourage file swapping. Why whould I use iTunes for this genre?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page