VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Entertainment Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/18-entertainment-forum/)
-   -   Poll: What are you listening to right now? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/18-entertainment-forum/1027-poll-what-you-listening-right-now.html)

Max Power 03-25-2003 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RiceBoy

Why would that sound silly?

Word. GT is a great album, and the Cards are a cool-ass band. I saw them live a few times and, well, they're not exactly electrifying on-stage, but I'm looking forward to a new album.

Bunny Wailer rocks! I think I'm going to load up some Beenieman for today...

Michael 03-25-2003 07:22 AM

I just figured they'd be too "pop" for most of you.

Max Power 03-25-2003 07:51 AM

Yeah, maybe for Biggie-J ( j/k broham ) but they're so cool that it's hard to dislike them. And Nina Perrson (sp?) ain't so hard on the eyes, neither...

Funkified 03-25-2003 08:56 AM

sasha and digweed - northern exposure, eastcoast. still freakin' luvin' it.

max (or other electronic types) - what about euphoria? or tsunami? (Sp?). yes? no? maybe. i've heard some of their stuff and it ain't bad at all. i need to go out and get some more discs sometime. sometime when i have some FREAKIN' MONEY.

Max Power 03-25-2003 11:57 AM

Errmmm.... I haven't heard of them, funks. I'll check it out...

Currently playing: Best of Blondie.

GhostUser 03-25-2003 12:54 PM

anthrax...sound of white noise

"black lodge" and "only" are being played more right now

BigWaxJesus 03-25-2003 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael

I just figured they'd be too "pop" for most of you.

I like pop when it's done creatively, which isn't true for 99.99% of the "pop" we hear on the radio and Empty-V. But there's a lot of good indie pop, and of course Britpop is kickass.

BigWaxJesus 03-25-2003 04:03 PM

My bad, the article I read said the new Cardigans album "will turn down the electronics and turn up the rock. I guess my mind was wandering when I read that the first time. They used less keyboards this time around, and had some guest appearances from Swedish garage rock bands, The Hives, The Soundtrack of Our Lives, and The Hellacopters

Marie 03-25-2003 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Power

Errmmm.... I haven't heard of them, funks. I'll check it out...

Currently playing: Best of Blondie.

I have that one.

Max Power 03-25-2003 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigWaxJesus

My bad, the article I read said the new Cardigans album "will turn down the electronics and turn up the rock.

I'm thinking Raveonette-ish with less cliche, perhaps?

GhostUser 03-25-2003 07:32 PM

Tool-Undertow

Max Power 03-25-2003 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MsRuthieB

Tool-Undertow

Talk about an underrated band... Tool roxx...

BigWaxJesus 03-25-2003 10:59 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking Raveonette-ish with less cliche, perhaps?

I don't know, I think The Cardigans are a bit too poppy to go that distorted and white noisy, but anything's possible. They were rather dark on the last album.

In other news, I'm not listening to either one of the about-to-be-metioned artists at the moment, but I have been listening to them consistantly for the past few weeks, so I just have to mention them and strongly suggest you check both out...

Aesop Rock: If you're into underground hip-hop, or hip-hop, period, you have to hear this guy. I got into him in 2001, when I just happened to check out his third album, in the local record store. I liked it so much, I bought that and the most recent one he had out. I've gotten even more obsessed with him lately and ended up shelling out over $80 for out-of-print material on ebay - worth every penny though. Anyway, he has one of the greatest voices I've heard in hip-hop, and he's a brilliant lyricist. The beats and samples are totally kickass - he samples everything from blues to jazz to reggae to classical. I suggest checking any of his material, but Appleseed is my favorite, which is out-of-print but can still be found on Kazaa and the like.

Neko Case: Mainly alternative-country, but equally mixed with pop, jazz, and blues influences. She has such a powerful and beautiful voice. One listen to her cover of Aretha Franklin's "Runnin' Out of Fools" is all you need to realize her talent. I'm still pissed at Old Man Winter for bringing the storm that caused me to miss her in concert - that *******.

All right, I realize this turned into a music suggestions post, but since that thread is lost in the back pages, I just decided to put it all in here. I have been listening to both recently, though, so it's still relevant to this thread. I'll stop myself now before I keep rambling.

Funkified 03-26-2003 10:58 AM

now it's kula shaker time...good stuff indeed.

HappyDaisy 03-26-2003 11:05 AM

No Doubt, No Doubt, No Doubt! I listen to their new CD on repeat all day long. I cannot seem to tire of it (I must be insane, as I have had this CD for several months now!). I also keep repeating the same Doobie Brothers song while in the car - "Jesus is Just Alright". I don't know why, but when the temp hits 70 or higher, like it's been here lately, and the sky is clear and blue and warm, I just want to crank up that song and drive.

Well, that song and No Doubt's Rock Steady CD.

HappyDaisy 03-26-2003 11:10 AM

Quote:

Talk about an underrated band... Tool roxx...

Yes!! Other peeps who love Tool!

Tool is awesome. Aenima is another CD I could listen to all day long - it's loud and rockin' and perfect for driving on sunny days with the windows down!

Yes, I have Spring Fever!

I am psyched about Daylight Savings Time this weekend! It's already been 80 degrees here the past couple weeks, so I am ready for the longer sunnier days!

Max Power 03-26-2003 11:49 AM

WOAH! It's DST already?!?!?! Awesome!!! What does that mean??? Forward? Back??

currently playing: New Placebo!

HappyDaisy 03-26-2003 11:54 AM

That means you Spring FORWARD (this Saturday night/Sunday morning). Yeah, you lose an hour of sleep (for anyone bemoaning that fact), but it's worth it the next day when it's still daylight at 9:00 PM. Woo hoo!

GhostUser 03-26-2003 11:55 AM

I believe it's Spring Forward, Fall Behind (so we'll be shifting ahead 1 hour)...Yippee!!!!

Max Power 03-26-2003 02:40 PM

boo to losing an hour of sleep! yay for more daylight! hooray for school! boo to saul kripke!

Hey FUNK! You should check out some Underworld... that's Underworld, not Underpants, btw...

Skylark 03-26-2003 03:56 PM

I've been listening to RiverTribe as of late. Ahh... so nice to just listen and enjoy. No lyrics to get caught up in. It's just a break. Yay for instrumental music! Gotta love the dijeridoos (sp).

RiceBoy 03-28-2003 05:30 AM

The Dandy Warhols - 13 Tales from Urban Bohemia

Big Rude Jake - Big Rude jake

Doves - The Last Broadcast

Michael 03-28-2003 05:33 AM

Ok, now I promise you this one will sound silly but this cd flat-out rocks...

Skid Row - Slave To The Grind

Skylark 03-29-2003 11:02 PM

I'm definitely listening to Rebecca St. James' "Best of" CD. She doesn't seem old enough to have a greatest hits CD yet since she's only in her mid twenties, but she did make her first CD when she was sixteen.

GhostUser 03-30-2003 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tame

Good CD. Tracks 2, 4, 6, 7, 10 and 19 were my favorites.

Yeah I especially like track #2 and #4. #10 is pretty good too. Everything else is also good.

I prefer to listen to the music by producer rather than by artist and right now, Dre and Wyclef Jean are my two favorite producers. Any good recommendations? Screw the Neptunes.

Funkified 03-30-2003 11:58 AM

st. germain, tourist.

Max Power 03-30-2003 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Funkified

st. germain, tourist.

St. Germain

J-Funk

Max Power 03-30-2003 03:05 PM

Lucinda Williams

I can't wait for her CD to drop next week...

RiceBoy 03-31-2003 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael

Ok, now I promise you this one will sound silly but this cd flat-out rocks...

Skid Row - Slave To The Grind

Well, it actually does!

St Gemain are great too.

Sigur Rós - ( )

The Strokes - Is This It?

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

Radio Soulwax - 2 many djs

Funkified 03-31-2003 09:13 AM

now it's new order. power, lies, and corruption.

max will you marry me? what?

stonecrest 03-31-2003 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RiceBoy

Sigur Rós - ( )

yum.

The_Gazumper 03-31-2003 12:05 PM

Ahhhhh... so many great bands have been mentioned..

St Germain, Sigur Ros, The Strokes, QOTSA, Soulwax, New Order (sometimes )...

Right now I'm listening to a lot of Talvin Singh and Nitin Sawhney . I've been listening to a lot of Indian-oriented dance music recently... I'm infatuated by it.

Vegankat 03-31-2003 05:54 PM

Sigur Ros <333333333333333333333333333333333333333

Astarte 03-31-2003 05:58 PM

Super Furry Animals - Edam Anchorman and Tradewinds

The Super Furry Animals is one of the finest bands to come out of Wales imo! Heavy Beatles influence with something weird and techno-ey(word?). The best is when they sing in welsh and I try to sing along but have no idea what they're saying. It sounds cool . Ysbediau heulog...

Max Power 04-01-2003 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Astarte

The Super Furry Animals is one of the finest bands to come out of Wales imo!

I'm a pretty astute Brit-music listener and I don't think I could even think of another Welsh rock band! Is Starsailor a welsh band? Probably not... I totally dig SFA... Kick ass sh*t right there!!!

RiceBoy 04-01-2003 04:51 AM

Quote:

I'm a pretty astute Brit-music listener and I don't think I could even think of another Welsh rock band!

Stereophonics, Catatonia, and a blast from the past - Budgie!

Does Tom Jones count ?

The_Gazumper 04-01-2003 05:04 AM

And how could you forget the mighty Manic Street Preachers?? They're definitely the bestest Welsh band

Oh, and Helen Love. Okay... she's not a band, but she's wunderbar nonetheless

Funkified 04-02-2003 10:51 AM

listening to the fight club soundtrack at the moment. good ****.

RiceBoy 04-02-2003 11:27 AM

Jerry Fish & The Mudbug Club

The Eminem Show

Tame 04-02-2003 05:59 PM

Memphis Untouchables