30 Day Vegan Challenge - Page 68 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

#2011 Old 02-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Baby Love

Since I had a slip-up with some cookies yesterday, I guess today was my official Day 1. I'm sending the offending cookies with my husband to work on Monday ;) In the recent past, I've had a lot of issues with anxiety about diet changes and second guessing myself, but this time I'm using cognitive therapy (writing out sabotaging thoughts with rational responses and reading them daily) to help me stay on course. Today was not a problem. Tomorrow, I have to go food shopping so it's the perfect opportunity to stock up on plant foods.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2012 Old 02-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I am also transition to becoming vegan.  Ive had a few slip ups as well, But dont worry we are still learning an in time it will get easier. Good luck. 

#2013 Old 02-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

I have to admit that my previous attempt fell short of the goal.  :down:

My main problem is very quick hard-to-find meals on the road, while traveling.

I have ordered a book, for inspiration, and hope to do a gradual transition.  Last time, I tried an "all-at-once" approach.  That worked for the veg*n aspect.....not so easy with the vegan transition.

I really feel like a quasi hypocrite for not embracing veganism.  Caring for cows, but eating cheese doesn't make sense.  I'm gonna try a gradual approach, and am hoping for success. 

For all you vegans out there.....you have my utmost respect.  It's like looking at someone who can do 200 push-ups nonstop.  I am very envious.  And the guys & gals that have been vegan since childhood.......I can only wish.  You don't know how fortunate you all are!!!!  

Hopefully, the graduated approach will work & I'll be vegan before too long.  All I have to really give up is cheese & an occasional egg......how hard can that be?

Werewolf Girl and LedBoots like this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2014 Old 02-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Baby Love

Thanks, Khadijah :) Good luck to you, as well.

I realized today that my vitamins contain gelatin, but I'm not going to count that against my challenge. I'll just need to find a new brand once they run out. Anyone know off-hand any good brands that I could find at a non-health food store like Target? To make it more complicated, I need a pre-natal vitamin since we'd like to have another baby at some point.

Tofuvegman, is the book you ordered one of Kathy Freston's? One thing she says that has always stuck with me is "progress not perfection". Try not to be down on yourself for not getting it the first go around. Just pick yourself up and keep moving in the right direction :)

Vegan Dave likes this.
#2015 Old 02-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

Tofuvegman, is the book you ordered one of Kathy Freston's? One thing she says that has always stuck with me is "progress not perfection". Try not to be down on yourself for not getting it the first go around. Just pick yourself up and keep moving in the right direction :)

Yeah....It's KF's book & I just got it today!!!  :D

A casual glance is pretty encouraging.  Small steps are the answer, I guess.  (I did the veg*n thing all at once, though).

Picked Up & Moving On!!!  :nana:

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#2016 Old 02-15-2014, 05:45 AM

Well, it's been a week and so far, so good :)  It has been easier than I thought it would be.  I had a couple of slip ups by accident, like taking some Caseine protein, and accidentally taking a couple bites out of a chocolate chip protein bar when I thought it was blueberry, lol.  Looks like I have to be very, very careful.. I was at the store the other day feverishly looking through protein bars for something that did not have any dairy or Stevia in it, which was pretty tough.  They lady at the store said, "Just too many choices, huh?!"  I looked at her and said, "Actually.. no.. not when you are vegan and allergic to artificial sweeteners."  She just gave me a "whatever you say, crazy lady." look. 

But I got some Soy Protein instead for my workouts. I also found that I don't really like the vegan shredded cheese, but the cheese slices are usually pretty good.  I love the vegan butter and cream cheese though :)   I was already drinking soy or almond milk, so that wasn't too hard for me.  I never really liked the taste of milk anyway.

I was thinking about my leather jacket though and wanted to donate it.  My question is, do vegans wear any leather if they know the leather came from a cow that died of natural causes, like say leather imported from India, or just none of that at all?  I know my leather jacket most likely came from a cow that was slaughtered for food, and I don't feel comfortable wearing it, so I'm going to give it away and find another jacket.

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#2017 Old 02-15-2014, 07:28 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

When I became vegan, I kept some of the leather items and cleaning products, etc that I already had and then replaced them with vegan ones when the time came. I've been vegan for years, so I don't have anything like that left except one old leather suitcase valise thing that was my grandmother's.
#2018 Old 02-15-2014, 07:29 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

But buying new animal products, no matter how it was sourced, isn't vegan.
#2019 Old 02-15-2014, 03:35 PM

I am starting on the vegan "diet(for lack of a better word)" on Monday- February 17, 2014.
#2020 Old 02-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissad81 View Post

I am starting on the vegan "diet(for lack of a better word)" on Monday- February 17, 2014.
Yay, good for you! Do you have plans on what to eat for the first few days? Not that we want to charge in with ideas or snything... wink3.gif
#2021 Old 02-16-2014, 12:31 PM

I am actually buying individual vegan meal plan by the month. So yes "I" have my meals planned for the week. But new ideas are always good.
#2022 Old 02-16-2014, 01:19 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissad81 View Post

I am actually buying individual vegan meal plan by the month. So yes "I" have my meals planned for the week. But new ideas are always good.
That's a great way to start, with a meal plan! You'll find what dishes you like, etc. Often people don't eat enough food when first going vegan, so with a meal plan there should be reasonable portions. smiley.gif
#2023 Old 02-22-2014, 11:56 AM

It's been 2 weeks and so far so good :)  I noticed that my skin has changed a lot!  It is so smooth and nice and I think I actually have more feelings in my hands if that makes any sense.

I did accidentally eat cheese again without realizing it.  It was in a sandwich and I swear I read all the ingredients before I ordered it from Tropical Smoothie Cafe.  It was the Veggie Hummus.. who would have thought they would need to put cheese in it.  But I threw away the other half when I realized this.  Note to self.. always ask, just in case.  ugh..

Has anyone else noticed an improvement in their skin after becoming vegan?

#2024 Old 03-10-2014, 10:42 PM

I am excited to try a 30- day vegan challange!
#2025 Old 03-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technus View Post

It's been 2 weeks and so far so good smiley.gif  I noticed that my skin has changed a lot!  It is so smooth and nice and I think I actually have more feelings in my hands if that makes any sense.

I did accidentally eat cheese again without realizing it.  It was in a sandwich and I swear I read all the ingredients before I ordered it from Tropical Smoothie Cafe.  It was the Veggie Hummus.. who would have thought they would need to put cheese in it.  But I threw away the other half when I realized this.  Note to self.. always ask, just in case.  ugh..

My skin definitely improved, I always get compliments on how soft and clear it is. smiley.gif

Also mistakes happen, just keep eating vegan and learning and you'll do great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyongkah View Post

I am excited to try a 30- day vegan challange!

Good luck! carrot.gif
beyongkah likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#2026 Old 04-15-2014, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried this challenge a year ago, but I got sick near the end.  I was feeling dizzy all the time, and couldn't think clearly.  Any ideas on why this happened?  I would love to try it again, but I'm worried.

ÂAn animalÂs eyes have the power to speak a great language.Â
ÂMartin Buber
#2027 Old 04-15-2014, 06:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technus View Post

It's been 2 weeks and so far so good :)  I noticed that my skin has changed a lot!  It is so smooth and nice and I think I actually have more feelings in my hands if that makes any sense.

They put meat and cheese in the oddest places.  I bought some yellow rice and now have to return it because it contains dehydrated chicken. 

ÂMartin Buber
#2028 Old 04-15-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

They put meat and cheese in the oddest places.  I bought some yellow rice and now have to return it because it contains dehydrated chicken. 

They really do.  The other week I was at work and they carry a veggie pasta in the salad case. I thought hmm.. I should buy that on my lunch.. and we've always sold it as "vegetarian" when people ask.  But after ready the ingredient label in the back room before I bought it, I read that it had CHEESE in it.  I was like "seriously?"  it's so unnecessary, and you couldnt even see the cheese if you dissected it. I was bummed out that day lol.     Also, I was looking in the natural section while grocery shopping, and I was in this weird mood to try those "veggie nuggets"  I think by morning star, I'm not sure.. but after reading the ingredients I learned they had cheese in them as well...in a VEGGIE nugget. *sigh*

#2029 Old 04-16-2014, 11:44 AM

I will!

#2030 Old 04-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I tried this challenge a year ago, but I got sick near the end.  I was feeling dizzy all the time, and couldn't think clearly.  Any ideas on why this happened?  I would love to try it again, but I'm worried.

What were you eating and how much? Is it possible you weren't eating enough? I know I get dizzy when I'm not getting enough calories and it can be easy to undereat on a vegan diet at first without realizing it because a lot of vegan food is so low calorie.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#2031 Old 04-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Quote:

Typically this happens from not eating enough calories. Most people when they go vegan eat low cal fruits and veggies for a good portion of the diet and don't eat enough of them. Or you may of needed more carbohydrates. I can't quite say without knowing what you ate.

#2032 Old 04-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandemicAcolyte View Post

Typically this happens from not eating enough calories. Most people when they go vegan eat low cal fruits and veggies for a good portion of the diet and don't eat enough of them. Or you may of needed more carbohydrates. I can't quite say without knowing what you ate.

Lets see if I remember......

For breakfast I would have oatmeal with bananas, or something similar.  Then for luch it would be wrap of sorts.  It would usually have sprouts and veggies in it.  Then around 3:00 I would have a snack.  That would be fruit, an assortment of crackers or coconut ice cream.  Dinner would be a mix of veggies and a grain or spaghetti.

ÂMartin Buber
#2033 Old 04-16-2014, 09:52 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Quote:

For breakfast I would have oatmeal with bananas, or something similar.  Then for luch it would be wrap of sorts.  It would usually have sprouts and veggies in it.  Then around 3:00 I would have a snack.  That would be fruit, an assortment of crackers or coconut ice cream.  Dinner would be a mix of veggies and a grain or spaghetti.

Well your types of food seem great, but do you know the amount of calories? People tend to think it's ridiculous to count calories but until you know how much you are eating there is a good chance you are not getting enough. You can use a website like cronometer.com to figure it out. It's what I do because I had a tendency to not eat enough calories myself.

#2034 Old 04-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Unless you were eating very large portions that probably isn't enough calories to get you through the day. Fruits and veggies are quite low calorie compared to meat so if your portion sizes were the same as when you ate meat it's very likely you were feeling dizzy from hunger. As PandemicAcolyte said it can be helpful to use a site like cronometer to figure out how much you're really eating, I believe fitday and sparkpeople are also good sites for calorie counting.

However I have never counted calories personally because I'm lazy and it has always seemed like so much work, haha. I just try to listen to my body and give it what it needs, feeling dizzy to me would be a sign that it's time to start snacking more and increasing my portions. Legumes and grains and also healthy fats like nuts and avocados and coconut oil are a great way to increase your calorie intake without having to eat all day.

#2035 Old 05-04-2014, 06:37 PM

On Day 25!!! I don't plan on going back anytime soon :-)

#2036 Old 05-05-2014, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley Rambo View Post

On Day 25!!! I don't plan on going back anytime soon :-)

Woohoo! Congratulations! carrot.gif

#2037 Old 05-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

What were you eating and how much? Is it possible you weren't eating enough? I know I get dizzy when I'm not getting enough calories and it can be easy to undereat on a vegan diet at first without realizing it because a lot of vegan food is so low calorie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandemicAcolyte View Post

I haven't experienced that, but I agree with Werewolf Girl and PandemicAcolyte. It sounds like you were eating a good selection of foods, though.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#2038 Old 05-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:

From this description its likely that your protein intake was too low and poor quality.....which would make you feel poorly fairly quickly.

As other said, you may have not been eating enough, but increasing your calories by adding empty calories from oils/fats or fatty low-protein foods (e.g., avocados) can leave you short on protein. Best to focus on foods that contribute to your overall nutritional needs.
#2039 Old 05-15-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Kelii36 

From this description its likely that your protein intake was too low and poor quality.....which would make you feel poorly fairly quickly.

As other said, you may have not been eating enough, but increasing your calories by adding empty calories from oils/fats or fatty low-protein foods (e.g., avocados) can leave you short on protein. Best to focus on foods that contribute to your overall nutritional needs.
I second what logic said. None of the foods you mentioned are good sources of protein. I think people trying out a vegan diet should make sure they eat enough protein rich foods (beans, chickpeas, peas, soy, tofu, tempeh, tvp/soy derivatives, peanuts, almonds, amaranth, quinoa etc ).
#2040 Old 05-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Protein?

Click image for larger version

Name:	404633_368695753215227_1409828774_n.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1953
Spudulika likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page