30 Day Vegan Challenge - Page 67 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

#1981 Old 03-31-2013, 02:53 PM

This is my Day One, and I'm having crazy cravings. And I'm at an incredibly vegan UNfriendly college, so this is going to be very, very hard. Wish me luck!

Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1982 Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 AM

I wish everyone luck going on the 30 day challenge! I started this 1yr ago today!

Veggieboards and a whole foods nearby has really helped me make the transition easier, thank you Veggieboards!

Summary: 1st week it was really exciting but I was scrambling around trying to figure out what I was going to eat like every hour. The 1st month I probably ate way too many PB&Js and Special K strawberry cereal. Then I realized I needed to try new foods, start cooking because if I am doing this for the rest of my life I am going to need more options. So ever since then I have been: trying new recipes, making some of my own, searching the internet to find out more on cruelty free make-up and cleaning supplies, sharing my food with so many people that thought I was crazy when I said I was going to stay vegan longer and they have learned to not cringe when I say I brought something vegan instead they usually ask for seconds, and I have tried my best to be a healthy example to others of what a vegan is and help eliminate some of those bad stereotypes. I admit at times being vegan is a hassle and it sucks not being able to eat at some of my friends favorite hangouts and I have to cook much more often but IT IS WORTH IT to know that I am no longer causing harm to animals.

What it boiled down to for me: Animals > food

the truth resists simplicity- John Green

#1983 Old 04-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Congratulaions, Britt, great story! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1984 Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 AM

So I am working on a more vegan lifestyle.  I did eat shrimp a few days ago and the closer we get to summer Im craving crab but havent had it in a long long time.  I would like to bring my daughter on this journey she is 4 but her father is against it and says she needs chicken  how sad......

#1985 Old 05-02-2013, 11:39 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Just wanted to say I've been vegan for nearly a year now

Good luck to everyone in this thread :)

All we are is dust in the wind
#1986 Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post

Just wanted to say I've been vegan for nearly a year now
Good luck to everyone in this thread smiley.gif

Congratulations!!! That's a huge milestone, you should treat yourself to something totally decadent and vegan to celebrate! carrot.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#1987 Old 05-15-2013, 05:42 AM

I'm doing this Challenge. My first offical day was yesterday. I'm going to do my best, still learning about all the little "hidden" animal byproducts in things, but I'm doing my homework as I go.  Wish me luck!

#1988 Old 06-25-2013, 07:48 AM

im new here and im starting today.my name is ericka. ive wanted to go vegan for 3 years but never did it. i live in a small town and vegan products are far and few between. i have a carnivorous 

hubby and 4 month old daughter. i am ready to start my journey!

#1989 Old 06-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaToMadi View Post

im new here and im starting today.my name is ericka. ive wanted to go vegan for 3 years but never did it. i live in a small town and vegan products are far and few between. i have a carnivorous 
hubby and 4 month old daughter. i am ready to start my journey!

Welcome, and good luck! hi.gif

If you have any questions just let us know. smiley.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#1990 Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Welcome, and good luck! hi.gif

If you have any questions just let us know. smiley.gif

thanks so much!!! i think i'm doing pretty good so far- bean soup with snap peas, carrots and daiya shredded cheese. that was my dinner last night and it was so good! i am looking up recipes for vegan chili and corn bread for this fall. i want to make a recipe scrapbook to help me out :)

#1991 Old 06-30-2013, 01:11 PM

Perfect. Tomorrow is the start of a new month. I want to abstain from dairy, high sugar drinks, candy, snacks, cakes.

It's on for the month of July. I'm ready.
#1992 Old 06-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck, you can do it! carrot.gif

#1993 Old 06-30-2013, 10:13 PM

I have been a vegetarian for almost 3 years (in August) and I am down to just cheese, sour cream and ice cream. I really want to go vegan and have attempted to go vegan several times. I always end up giving in to one thing: cheese. I know you have all heard it before but I have a serious problem with cheese. Yes I know, cheese is literally addictive and I know all the horrible facts about cheese. From calves to blood and pus and it horrifies me but knowing all that I know has not stopped me yet. I've tried slowly weaning myself off and going cold turkey and haven't been successful. I am beyond frustrated. I feel like a failure when I go back to cheese. I didn't have a problem going vegetarian, I literally told myself that the meal I was eating was the last meal that would include meat and I went vegetarian overnight cold turkey (so to speak) and I never went back and I have never cheated so I know that I'm capable of giving things up. However, I don't know what to do about cheese. Yes I will miss sour cream but I have found some really nice alternatives that I can live with. I also really like vegan ice cream but I hate all the cheese alternatives I have tried except when I've made my own cheese dishes that have something like cashews as the "cheese."

I love cheese and I eat way too much of it. The horrible things that happen just so that I can have cheese is definitely something that is motivating me but aside from that, I know that the amount of cheese that I eat is very unhealthy and I don't want to die of a heart attack at 50. I know that some of you will say just to do it, be strong and all of that but what I really want to know is that for those who had a great love of cheese, how did you do it? Are there any great tips that will help me the next time I try to go vegan? I just want to hear what has worked for some of you.

Thanks!

By the way, I'm posting this here because I do plan on doing the challenge.

#1994 Old 06-30-2013, 11:35 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

My dad was like that about cheese. He quit meat and cigarettes like they were nothing, but cheese was a problem.

Then every time he bought it I would take it outside and stomp it into mush.

Eventually he got tired of wasting the money.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#1995 Old 07-01-2013, 03:26 AM
Veggie Regular

since this will be our holy month of Ramadan,  and I will be fasting for 30days. I think this is a good time to give it a try. so  count me in. I will be starting the 9th July.

Werewolf Girl and Vegan Dave like this.
#1996 Old 07-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

I can't think of a good reason NOT to do this....so I'm in, as of today.  dancingbanana.gif

I'm kinda paranoid about eating something that's not vegan, that I'd never know about.....like JELLO or marshmallows, etc.  I already eat a lot of fruit & veggies, so I bet those will increase while I find vegan friendly foods.  I bet I lose some weight, too!!  naughty.gif

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#1997 Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Banned

Good luck to everyone doing the challenge <3 grin.gif

#1998 Old 07-09-2013, 10:00 AM

I started on the 1st of July, so I'm on day 9. I have had a few slip ups but they were small and mostly caused by me not reading labels as I should have. I'm trying to eat mostly whole foods so that should solve that problem. 

#1999 Old 07-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp4nrw View Post

I started on the 1st of July, so I'm on day 9. I have had a few slip ups but they were small and mostly caused by me not reading labels as I should have. I'm trying to eat mostly whole foods so that should solve that problem. 

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. grin.gif

#2000 Old 07-10-2013, 12:31 PM

Oh this is what I need! I am slowly getting back on track, though years ago when I changed my lifestyle it was overnight and it was easier for me... maybe a 30 day challenge will kick my ass where it needs to be :)

#2001 Old 07-16-2013, 11:04 PM

Joining the 30 Day Challenge - I have been meat free for about five months and have been trying to cut out dairy (the challenge is cheese!!! and surprisingly, chocolate) but with limited success... Sadly, I end up with mini-cheese binges - with this public declaration, I'm going to give it up for good. I will check in periodically to keep myself accountable. For the animals! dancingbanana.gif

Oh, and I have no problems with giving up egg, other dairy products and honey - will need to check the labels more diligently now.

#2002 Old 10-17-2013, 04:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok I really want to try the Vegan Challenge, but I dont know were to start, People already give me bad looks stares and comments about not eating meat, I can just imagine what they will say when I tell them I dont eat cheese and egg and more.
#2003 Old 10-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHADIJAH View Post

Ok I really want to try the Vegan Challenge, but I dont know were to start, People already give me bad looks stares and comments about not eating meat, I can just imagine what they will say when I tell them I dont eat cheese and egg and more.

If it's the social aspect that's getting to you, why not just tell them you're doing "the 30 Day Vegan Challenge"?

That's what I did when I went vegetarian. I just told people I was giving it a go for 30 Days (if they asked, of course. Most people don't know unless you tell them). That seemed to be more 'acceptable' than just going vegetarian. After that, when I committed to being a vegetarian, it also made it easier to tell people, if they were being really abusive or defensive I could just say "I tried it for 30 days, didn't feel sick or tired, so what's the point of eating meat? If I can be just as healthy by NOT eating it, as I can by eating it, why kill all of those animals? Didn't seem logical to me".

If you choose to go vegan after cutting out egg and dairy for 30 Days, then you can use the same line except instead of 'meat' say 'egg and dairy'.

khadijah and Werewolf Girl like this.
#2004 Old 02-04-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

If it's the social aspect that's getting to you, why not just tell them you're doing "the 30 Day Vegan Challenge"?

That's what I did when I went vegetarian. I just told people I was giving it a go for 30 Days (if they asked, of course. Most people don't know unless you tell them). That seemed to be more 'acceptable' than just going vegetarian. After that, when I committed to being a vegetarian, it also made it easier to tell people, if they were being really abusive or defensive I could just say "I tried it for 30 days, didn't feel sick or tired, so what's the point of eating meat? If I can be just as healthy by NOT eating it, as I can by eating it, why kill all of those animals? Didn't seem logical to me".

If you choose to go vegan after cutting out egg and dairy for 30 Days, then you can use the same line except instead of 'meat' say 'egg and dairy'.

Started my 30 day vegan challenge Friday.

#2005 Old 02-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I started mine a few days ago. So far its going ok.

#2006 Old 02-05-2014, 06:19 PM

I think I'll start this tomorrow.  I've been thinking about going vegan for a while and I think it's about time to do it.  I didn't do it before because my previous bf loved milk and cheese a lot, although he was vegetarian, so I had a hard time getting started.  What's going to be the hardest is giving up cheese.  If anyone knows a good cheese substitute , please let me know :)  I've tried some before and didn't like it much, lol.  I have already switched to soy and almond milk and love it, though.

#2007 Old 02-05-2014, 11:35 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technus View Post

I think I'll start this tomorrow.  I've been thinking about going vegan for a while and I think it's about time to do it.  I didn't do it before because my previous bf loved milk and cheese a lot, although he was vegetarian, so I had a hard time getting started.  What's going to be the hardest is giving up cheese.  If anyone knows a good cheese substitute , please let me know :)  I've tried some before and didn't like it much, lol.  I have already switched to soy and almond milk and love it, though.

Hi and welcome. smiley.gif Are you from the US? Daiya vegan cheese is good, especially the havarti wedge and cheddar shreds.
#2008 Old 02-07-2014, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck to everyone doing the challenge! How is it going so far? Let us know if you have any questions. smiley.gif

#2009 Old 02-08-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Hi and welcome. smiley.gif Are you from the US? Daiya vegan cheese is good, especially the havarti wedge and cheddar shreds.

Hey thanks, I think I'll try to find some.  So far so good, it's my second day.  Someone kept offering me pizza, forgetting that I am going vegan, lol.  But I did good in resisting it.

#2010 Old 02-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Hey thanks, I think I'll try to find some.  So far so good, it's my second day.  Someone kept offering me pizza, forgetting that I am going vegan, lol.  But I did good in resisting it.

Cheese can be the hardest thing to give up; some studies show dairy is addictive. If you get desperate for pizza ( and who doesn't? ) there are a few vegan options. 1. If you're lucky, a cool locally owned gourmet type pizza place in your area offers daiya instead of cow cheese on pizza. 2. Amy's brand has a couple of vegan frozen pizzas. The cheeseless one with roasted vegetables is really good. There's also a rice crust one with fake cheese. They aren't cheap, though. 3. You can buy vegan pre-made pizza crusts and put some tomato sauce and whatever you like on top. Dice the veggies small and they turn sweet. Pineapple is good too. Hummus is also really good on there, or a Mexican style pizza with refried beans, salsa, onions, peppers.

Now I want a pizza wink3.gif
Technus likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page