Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

#121 Old 06-07-2007, 02:40 PM

Good luck, codemonkey!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 Old 06-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Today is going AWESOME! I've stocked my desk with vegan snacks to have something to munch on when I get hungry.

My only concern is that my husband will be going off his diet soon (he's on a medically supervised diet where he's only allowed to have special shakes). He's going to be able to start eating normal food again next week and he's very picky. My hope is that since it's been so long since he's had "normal food" that if he eats the super-healthy vegan food I've been making right off the bat, he won't remember what he's missing. The doctor's office even has a vegan food plan that they recommend and he's debating going with that since he'd be allowed to eat more food that way.
#123 Old 06-07-2007, 09:54 PM

I'm doing it! Just finished my second day and feel GREAT. Everything has been pretty easy, not too many problems so far (knock on wood). Wish me luck!

PS- I'm going from vegetarian to vegan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#124 Old 06-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

today is either my 4th or 5th day being vegan, and it is sooo easy. reading about it makes it seem like its hard, but in reality, its so simple (and yummy)

my only problem is i think i should take a multivitamin. does anyone know one thats vegan and has all the essentail vitamins, and is available in the US?

i also might buy nutritional yeast flakes forified with B12. anyone know how much they cost/where i can find them?
#125 Old 06-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

nevermind about that last post. i stopped in at the health food store today and got some B12 supplements
#126 Old 06-11-2007, 04:09 PM

Way to go, all of you! Good luck everyone!
#127 Old 06-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Beginner

Anyone have faith in me that I could go from omni to vegan?

I stopped eating meat months ago but went back after my baby was born. Now I REALLY want to stop again. I cannot have any dairy or eggs and I want to limit my amount of soy intake because I have hypothyroid disease. So I'm guessing lots of whole grains and beans eh?
#128 Old 06-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by angaustinbrody View Post

Anyone have faith in me that I could go from omni to vegan?

I stopped eating meat months ago but went back after my baby was born. Now I REALLY want to stop again. I cannot have any dairy or eggs and I want to limit my amount of soy intake because I have hypothyroid disease. So I'm guessing lots of whole grains and beans eh?

I know you can do it!

Lots of people go straight from omni to vegan (I wasn't one of them), and it's perfectly possible. It's also possible to be vegan with little or no soy, although it's a little more difficult. I'm sure that there are some vegans on here with soy intolerances/allergies who could give you some advice if you asked For protein sources, beans are great, but don't forget nuts which are often overlooked.
#129 Old 06-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a vegan who eats very little soy (I've developed an intolerance to it, it seems.. it now gives me absolutely terrible gas in anything but very small amounts unless I take enzymes with it). I drink rice milk instead of soy, and I eat a lot of beans. Chickpeas in salad, big batches of red or black or white beans made on the weekend and frozen for lunches, refried beans in tortillas, etc. Seitan is also an alternative for soy meats, if you're not sensitive to wheat.
#130 Old 06-17-2007, 06:47 AM
Veggie Regular

You can do it! There is a vegan "cheese" that doesn't contain soy. It's called "Chreese" and you can buy it at http://www.veganshop.co.uk it's in powder form and is best fitted for cheese sauce and such. Galaxy food in the US has some rice cheeses, but you can't buy them on the net.
#131 Old 06-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried to go vegan as a challenge over lent, but convenience and chocolate beat me. I think I'm going to try again over the summer (which is next week) I think it will be easier when I'm not in college and will be able to bake all kinds of goodies and because now for some strange reason cheese makes me ill

I'm cutting down now so it won't be as much of a shock and I need to get rid of all the quorn.

Can anyone recomend a brand of fake milk that doesnt have a yucky aftertaste?
#132 Old 06-19-2007, 01:55 PM

Was vegetarian on and off for several years....I'm 69 now.

Now I am going vegan...have been pretty much vegan for a couple of weeks.

Still not checking labels too hard, but staying away from processed foods so I can be sure of what's going into my mouth.

I am amazed to discover I can do without milk...milk was my comfort food.

Can't have soy...it caused a goiter when I was heavily using it before, so I started making my own oat, nut, or rice milk, which turned out pretty good.

Funny thing is..now I'm getting out of the habit of ANY type of milk.

I discovered cereal is pretty good dry, and I never did like milk on oatmeal....mostly just to gulp down a big cold glass....ah, the old days..lol..

Learning to cook a whole new way is challenging since my husband is a big flesh eater and I have to accomodate him, and my (adult) kids think I'm nuts.

I'm giving them all 'The China Study' to read, which sure convinced me that veggie is the way to go....hope it works for them, too!

Onward and upward (veggily)!!!

Sharon

#133 Old 06-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

i f***ed up. restart today
#134 Old 06-26-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakaIsDeprived View Post

i f***ed up. restart today

where you so hungry, you ate a horse?

#135 Old 06-26-2007, 01:48 PM

Im new to this whole deal, and Ive been researching veganism for a while now and decided to give it a go. ( yay me!) and so, I decided this was a good idea. So help me out with advice that you guys have come up with. it'd be strikin.!

excited.
#136 Old 06-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm still getting trace ingredients here and there but overall I'm doing pretty well. I haven't had full on cheese or eggs or anything. When we were out of town we stopped at burger king on the road and I know their veggie burgers aren't vegan (stupid morning star farms) but I didn't have a whole lot of options and I didn't think fries and a salad made a very appropriate meal. I probably should've gone with my first impulse and packed a picnic lunch.
#137 Old 06-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

I'm still getting trace ingredients here and there but overall I'm doing pretty well. I haven't had full on cheese or eggs or anything. When we were out of town we stopped at burger king on the road and I know their veggie burgers aren't vegan (stupid morning star farms) but I didn't have a whole lot of options and I didn't think fries and a salad made a very appropriate meal. I probably should've gone with my first impulse and packed a picnic lunch.

I'd say the hardest part about being vegan is planning for when you are traveling, or just away from home for an extended period. And really, that's not that hard when you get the hang of it
#138 Old 06-26-2007, 08:40 PM

Unfortunately, believe it or not, I'm not allowed to be vegan. I'm 15, and it was a huge stretch for my parents to even allow me to be a vegetarian. I would love to try it for 30 days... the only problem is how. I don't get my liscence until november, and my mother refuses to buy me soy milk and whatnot. If I can convince her to let me try it for just a month, I definetely will. But that's easier said than done.

Wish me luck.
#139 Old 06-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Beginner

Good luck to you!

I'm 15, too, and I've got say I'm so glad my parents, well my mom at least, was OK with me going vegan. It's been almost two months now. I just told her what I wouldn't be getting that I was getting from milk and eggs and what I'd need to eat instead. That meant soy milk, B12, calcium and iron namely. My mom was very supportive and bought me all of the following. Maybe try doing a little research and informing your mom on proper nutrition? She could just be worried it's not healthy. Perhaps try sitting down and talking to her about why she doesn't want you going vegan and work from there.
#140 Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancewithme View Post

Unfortunately, believe it or not, I'm not allowed to be vegan. I'm 15, and it was a huge stretch for my parents to even allow me to be a vegetarian. I would love to try it for 30 days... the only problem is how. I don't get my liscence until november, and my mother refuses to buy me soy milk and whatnot. If I can convince her to let me try it for just a month, I definetely will. But that's easier said than done.

Wish me luck.

Hope you don't mind me asking a personel question?

Is so Then:

Do your parents think you have an eating disorder?
#141 Old 06-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

where you so hungry, you ate a horse?

hahaha no, i was at my italian friend's house, and her family couldnt believe that i dont eat meat, so i didnt think i should drop the 'no cheese' bomb....then, since i already ate cheese, i pigged out on the stuff ive been missing...for about a week. oh mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, but at least ive had enough unhealthy, unvegan food to last me at least until i die
#142 Old 06-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakaIsDeprived View Post

since i already ate cheese, i pigged out on the stuff ive been missing...for about a week. oh mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, but at least ive had enough unhealthy, unvegan food to last me at least until i die

You didn't mention this when posting in your other thread about fainting.

You said you just ate "a little bit of cheese".

It's still VERY doubtful that it had anything to do with it (though it is possible to mentally react so strongly that we react physically as well - in other words: it's possible you got yourself so worked up mentally that your body reacted, though that's really extreme and unlikely).
#143 Old 06-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

You didn't mention this when posting in your other thread about fainting.

You said you just ate "a little bit of cheese".

It's still VERY doubtful that it had anything to do with it (though it is possible to mentally react so strongly that we react physically as well - in other words: it's possible you got yourself so worked up mentally that your body reacted, though that's really extreme and unlikely).

i almost fainted before the week of pigging out. i posted the other thread mostly because i was wondering if something like that happened to someone else
#144 Old 07-04-2007, 10:54 PM

Ah...a 30 vegan challange is a really good idea.. I'm a lacto-vegetarian trying to kick the cheese. I never thought to make a goal. If I can make it 30 days without cheese then I know I can do without it forever. I did well for day one. I went to a BBQ (hamburgers,hotdogs,egg potato salad, baccon beans) for independence day. I managed to make a vegan meal from the tofurky sausage hotdogs that I brought and I ate salsa and gaucamole.
#145 Old 07-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I am officially accepting the challenge! I started out as vegan, and then fell off the wagon and went laco-ovo after a couple of weeks.

It's been a few months and I am ready to really do it this time!

I am almost through Day one. I had vegan pancakes for breakfast (found the recipe here)

OMG they were AWESOME!

For lunch I had a sandwich with flax bread, cukes, tomato, onion sprouts and tofutti "cream cheese" Yum!

I'm trying another recipe from here for dinner. Arroz con "pollo". Looking forward to giving it a try.

I'm really gonna need support from you guys to stay away from the dairy especially.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys!
#146 Old 07-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I will be taking this challenge, but I first need to stock up on some vegan foods. I have a bunch of recipes I want to try, just need the ingredients. I figure I will be able to start next Monday at the latest!
#147 Old 07-11-2007, 06:44 AM
Veggie Regular

OK....thanks to all the veg/vegan debates, and all the info that came with them, my heart and mind are urging me to give the vegan-ism a try.

Have been lacto/ovo for my first 12 days, and going without dairy/eggs for 3 days now. I'm hoping I'm not jumping in too soon, but feel I am ready to do this.

I am going to keep it very simple, just focusing on fresh fruits, veggies, grains, and beans....no fancy, complicated recipes, just basic.

I may not get it perfect, but am gonna try like the dickens! Keeping the food simple will also allow time to start learning about veganism, and all the important aspects of lifestyle that go with it......

Good Luck to all who have started recently.....see ya in 30 days!!!(or sooner if help is needed?) If anyone had told me I'd be doing this 30 days ago, I'd have called them CRAAAAZY!!!

Thanks to the veggie boards and especially the vegan thread for inspiring me to this point!!!

cindi-nv

oh....am starting by reading Food Revolution, it was the only one available at the library, will get to others soon.
#148 Old 07-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm counting myself into this. starting cutting out dairy tomarrow and hopefully having a full start this sunday
#149 Old 07-11-2007, 06:29 PM

I did it! been 36 days now...w00t! I'm staying vegan too!
#150 Old 07-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Good Luck Spaz!

and Congrats Lolgaber, 36 days is great!

nv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page